Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
MLC Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Looking for opinions on buying a new tractor. I have narrowed it down to the John Deere 3043D or the Kubota L3901 both 4WD with the front end loader and both gear shift which is what I want. I got a quote on both of them and they are writhin $200. The John Deere is 43 HP and the Kubota 37.5 HP. I only have 20 acres and bush hog about 8 and grade a couple of roads and do some discing for a garden. Both are offering 0% financing 60 months. I'm kind of leaning toward the John Deere because about everything on it is mechanical and not a whole lot of electronic stuff and a little more H.P. and just a little bit heavier. I have always had an used tractor and just tried of working on it every year. I have never had a front end loader but everybody tells me if I buy a new one get it. What do you think?

Any politician who thinks they can fight the evil that has consumed the government is delusional or lying. There is no political solution.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Winston Church
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Yes.

Get the loader.

Yes.. Get the one of the two you like best.

Yes... Think about the dealer reputations, look at the parts and service depts., and make your choice based on that.

smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If I could swing it - I'd ALWAYS opt for a front end loader.

We run older Fords and never once did I wish the ones that had em, didn't. Always wished those that didn't - did.

That said - same dealers? I don't know enough about those specific models to say but assume you've done homework - it would come down to which dealer was better regarding service, parts, and generally taking care of you.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I bought a tractor last year and am so glad I got the loader. Beyond that, I will say buy the dealer as much as you buy the tractor. That's what I did when I went with Mahindra.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
We bought the Kubota you mention two years ago and have been extremely pleased with it. We bought the front loader, a fork lift attachment, and a clamshell grapple that goes on the front end. That grapple has been used a lot.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
If the dealers are about the same in terms of supporting your purchase, it sounds like the Deere comes out ahead for you specs wise. Definitely get the loader with skid loader quick attach. I would also add rear remotes if you will be running any hydraulic off the three point.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Not trying to spoil your plan but I’d consider a pre-emission (around 2013 and prior) very slightly used vs either of these. I just went from a Kubota L3240 to a Deere 4520, both with loader. Something less than 500 hours won’t require additional attention if properly cared for. Just a different perspective. Good luck and both brands are quite good, the two best IMO.

M
MLC Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
One other thing I forgot to mention is the JD is turbo charged and the Kubota is not. Just wondering if there have been any problems with the JD turbo's.

Any politician who thinks they can fight the evil that has consumed the government is delusional or lying. There is no political solution.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Winston Church
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
first drive around each dlrshp area , say 10-20 miles - stop at every JD tractor and every Kubota tractor
you see . Ask lots of questions about machine and the dlr they purchased from. Did they shop around?
Some people are wedded to an equipment color (brand) like fish to water. After you leave each one
write down pertinent info. Later ask dlr for some owner references, see how they compare with your
notes. we did that 3 yrs ago and it really paid off.
Oldcuss

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I got a Deere 5075e a few years ago. It has the DPF but no DEF. It regens about every 50 hours or so, and you can't really notice except the idle RPM is raised to about 1200 and an icon lights up on the dash. It has a cab and an air conditioner. We use it for commercial weed/pasture mowing. It has been great.

I got the front end loader, which is a nice addition. One of the mast pins popped out in the first 20 hours and bent the bracket it goes into. I called the dealer, he had a truck in the field within two hours or so, and replaced a bent bracket the next day in the field. I hear that Mahindra and Kobota dealers won't go to out on service calls. You have to get the tractor to the dealership, which would have been a real problem with the front end loader only connected on one side.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A loader tractor is the only way to go. Kubota makes a really good small tractor. I don't care for JD and have 3 green tractors, their service is geared towards the big farmer and they'll pizz on the little guy every time when working on your tractor. Either one is probably a good tractor.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Always, always , always get a loader if you only have one tractor. You can't imagine the uses and needs you didn't know you had for a loader until you get one. For instance, with a chain you can use the loader to pull fence posts. With care you can drive fence posts (although there are better tools for the job, just saying it can be done).

Get the loader!

Last edited by AB2506; 04/22/20.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by MLC
One other thing I forgot to mention is the JD is turbo charged and the Kubota is not. Just wondering if there have been any problems with the JD turbo's.

Tons of turbo engines in skid steers ams tractor that routinely go over 10,000 hours, I wouldn’t worry about that. My 60 hp Deere is a turbo. But weight is more important than hp for ground engagement applications. Something that I would be looking at on these two models.

D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by AB2506
Always, always , always get a loader if you only have one tractor. You can't imagine the uses and needs you didn't know you had for a loader until you get one. For instance, with a chain you can use the loader to pull fence posts. With care you can drive fence posts (although there are better tools for the job, just saying it can be done).

Get the loader!

This, and get the third valve so you can use a grapple.

Dale

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
John the Baptist crying here, Near by dealer with good parts, and shop support?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
In that horsepower range, I would choose Kubota. The smaller JD tractors are made from parts sourced from all over the world. We had 3 under 65 hp John Deere’s with mixed results (one was great, one was junk and one so so). To the best of my knowledge, all were primarily made in India. Larger “Made in USA” JD’s are fine. We’ve had 3 small Kubotas, 25-45 hp, and all have been fine. Also had good service from older Ford and Massey Ferguson small tractors.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by teal
If I could swing it - I'd ALWAYS opt for a front end loader.

This.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Get the front end loader, I have a kubota, 10 years old, no problem at all with it. I’d get a 45 horse if you could possibly afford it. My 45 horse, four wheel drive, will pull a 7’ disc easy.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
No matter what size you get, you will wish you had bought the next size bigger!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by cfran
Not trying to spoil your plan but I’d consider a pre-emission (around 2013 and prior) very slightly used vs either of these. I just went from a Kubota L3240 to a Deere 4520, both with loader. Something less than 500 hours won’t require additional attention if properly cared for. Just a different perspective. Good luck and both brands are quite good, the two best IMO.

+1

In that hp range it's a tier 4 emission engine. They work fine if it's used hard all the time so it's red hot and clean. Not many use a tractor that way so they end up doing regens and loading up the diesel particulate filter. You will have to call the dealer for any running issues and expect to spend $$. I like the old school relatively simple diesels in that size.

You can look this up, many outlets have reported about this. https://www.thedrive.com/news/31761...-40-year-old-equipment-to-all-time-highs

Last edited by gwrench; 04/22/20.

We all know advertising works, we just don’t think it works on US!
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

209 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 1lessdog, 219DW, 007FJ, 17 invisible), 1,486 guests, and 915 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,871
Posts18,478,711
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.