Home
Posted By: Fugawe Time to Buy a Truck? - 04/23/20
Where do auto dealerships stand right now? Are they desperate for sales and ready to deal close to cost?
Many of them have their vehicles on floor plans, paying a percentage of the vehicle cost per month to stock them. Big bucks going out monthly.
With production halted, are they holding on prices, banking on a projected shortage in the future? Looking for an 'inside' take on this.
Posted By: Teal Re: Time to Buy a Truck? - 04/23/20
The longer you can wait - the better it will be from the consumer pov - IMO. See how many of the 22 million unemployed actually go back to work when we're wide open, that will determine how the economy shakes (I don't think we'll come back much more than 60% pre-CV19) and what's available to you from an incentive perspective. You still need to negotiate at the dealer level. They're the ones carrying the inventory.

MFG's are still closed with most talking of opening first part of May.
Posted By: BluMtn Re: Time to Buy a Truck? - 04/23/20
I just bought a new pickup and the dealership was very willing to make me a very good deal.
Posted By: BLG Re: Time to Buy a Truck? - 04/23/20
Originally Posted by BluMtn
I just bought a new pickup and the dealership was very willing to make me a very good deal.

Tell us about it. Don't need to give out what you paid, but maybe what you saved and the terms.

Clyde
Posted By: slowmover12 Re: Time to Buy a Truck? - 04/23/20
I recently did a deal on a 1-owner clean car fax vehicle. I was allowed $2k more on my trade in than expected and bought at dealer trade in value as shown on multiple sites. We’re very happy with the vehicle in the month we’ve had it and we’re happy with that deal. We were among the 2-3 couples on the lot.

If the dealer is not offering a good deal, walk out.
Posted By: BluMtn Re: Time to Buy a Truck? - 04/23/20
Originally Posted by BLG

Tell us about it. Don't need to give out what you paid, but maybe what you saved and the terms.

Clyde

Had a trade in but when the dust settled I probably saved an additional $20000 over what I would have paid normally. I ask the salesman if sales were slow and his reply was if it was only slow I would be happy.
Posted By: BLG Re: Time to Buy a Truck? - 04/23/20
Thanks. I will more than likely be in the market towards the end of the year.

Clyde
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Time to Buy a Truck? - 04/23/20
I don't know the details, but a neighbor traded his F150 for an F250 4X4 Supercrew with the new 7.3 gas engine. I know he doesn't have a payment for 6 months. Three deferred, the dealership is paying the next 3. I don't know what rate he got, but some places are going 72 to 84 months with 0% interest.
Posted By: SKane Re: Time to Buy a Truck? - 04/23/20
Originally Posted by BLG

Clyde

Had a trade in but when the dust settled I probably saved an additional $20000 over what I would have paid normally. I ask the salesman if sales were slow and his reply was if it was only slow I would be happy.

Saved an additional 20k?

I talked to my neighbor recently who owns of the Ford dealerships in town. His take on the whole deal is while most dealerships are stacked with inventory, the lean practices by the auto manufacturers is going to bite them in the coming months.
Many of the component suppliers down to the knobs on the radio are on hiatus so even when manufacturing gets started again, the dealership inventory is going to get thinned out considerably because the OEM's can't/won't ship a vehicle without 100% of the parts.

He actually didn't foresee a big reduction in prices happening anytime soon mainly because some of the 0% interest incentives are getting a lot of traction.
Posted By: Bocajnala Re: Time to Buy a Truck? - 04/23/20
Do you have money to buy a truck? If so, go buy one. And don't worry about the payments.

If you need to ask, you probably don't.

-Jake
There should be some deals on the used market .
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Time to Buy a Truck? - 04/23/20
Off lease oilfield pickups should be cheap pretty soon.
Start in to get mail offers..
Posted By: Dutch Re: Time to Buy a Truck? - 04/23/20
Give it three months, and the repo lots will be full. Already, heavy equipment auctioneers like Ritchie Bros are stacked to the rafters.... Lots of sellers, few buyers.

It hasn't even started yet.....
Originally Posted by Dutch
Give it three months, and the repo lots will be full. Already, heavy equipment auctioneers like Ritchie Bros are stacked to the rafters.... Lots of sellers, few buyers.

True.

We have seen it all before in certain parts of the country/economy... (Like every time the oilfield crashes)

But now, it's not just oil workers, welders, pipefitters, etc.

This has hit and will affect everyone.

If your wife works for a furniture store, that sold furniture to people that would have bought, had they not been laid off... they may lay her off because of slow sales.

Less people eating out. Less people buying boats. House repos, car repos.

Better get things going full speed PDQ.
Posted By: OutlawPatriot Re: Time to Buy a Truck? - 04/23/20
If they put a $20k rebate on one of those $60k new trucks, I may consider getting rid of mine.
Posted By: OutlawPatriot Re: Time to Buy a Truck? - 04/23/20
Screw the financing. I have cash, give me a huge rebate and keep the bank.
Yep.

Even with 0% interest you're locking yourself into payments until it's paid off. No thanks.

-Jake
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Yep.

Even with 0% interest you're locking yourself into payments until it's paid off. No thanks.

-Jake

Jake...

Serious question.

Do you work at State Farm? grin
Posted By: 16bore Re: Time to Buy a Truck? - 04/23/20
Originally Posted by Dutch

This.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Time to Buy a Truck? - 04/23/20
There's a old saying in the cow business that you make your money when you buy. Buying a new vehicles you loose when you buy and trade. Buying new vehicles is the worst investment a person can make, but they sure a nice and shinny.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Time to Buy a Truck? - 04/23/20
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
There's a old saying in the cow business that you make your money when you buy. Buying a new vehicles you loose when you buy and trade. Buying new vehicles is the worst investment a person can make, but they sure a nice and shinny.

This is very true, terrible investment buying new. But I’ve done it for 40 years or so. But I don’t do credit. I save enough to buy with cash. I cannot imagine 72 or 84 month financing, at any interest rate.

Everyone that drives, drives a used car.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Yep.

-Jake

Jake...

Serious question.

Do you work at State Farm? grin

No but I do wear khakis.

-Jake
laugh
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Time to Buy a Truck? - 04/23/20

Very true.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Time to Buy a Truck? - 04/23/20
Cannot speak to the U.S. Big 3. However, Toyota has notified employees that they are planning to resume production at Georgetown, KY on 04 May 2020....
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Time to Buy a Truck? - 04/24/20
Perfect time to buy a truck!

We actually bought a matched pair today.
(consecutive VIN's no less)

Of course they are both 36 years old.
Posted By: kingston Re: Time to Buy a Truck? - 04/24/20
Pics
Posted By: wem Re: Time to Buy a Truck? - 04/24/20
Disagree with your neighbor. Dealerships are hemorrhaging and they don't even know it. Manufacturers finance their inventory, but dealers make money on repairs and used vehicles which have been sky high recently. After the soft startup you'll see only 65-70% of people returning to jobs. Less than 50% will return to jobs in retail, hospitality and restaurants. Commercial real estate will take years to recover.

Spent a few days truck shopping for a slightly used 2019 F-150; one dealer wouldn't budge the other was willing to deal. It will be a buyers market if you're buying.
None yet.

F700's, white cab, red grain box, gas engine.

One has 28k miles, it's twin has 29k.

We'll be the third owner.
Posted By: kingston Re: Time to Buy a Truck? - 04/24/20
Nice. Juice brakes?
Yeah, and they have a 'micro' brake knob for park brake.

Pretty straight old trucks. Roll tarps, like new tires, probably a bit under-powered but we're only using them to haul seed wheat, not super truckin'.

We are retiring a couple older IH trucks to field duty only.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Time to Buy a Truck? - 04/24/20
This guy lays a lot of stuff out. He has some interesting videos. There are no 0% interest rates on 2020 Fords out here, only new 2019s'. Superduties and some Mustangs are not part of the 0% deal.
Posted By: Rick n Tenn Re: Time to Buy a Truck? - 04/25/20
I just bought a boat for half price . I would say there are some bargains about to show up on cars and trucks .

I usually pay cash but if they are offering 0% that would be considered .

The dealers are about to be desperate to move inventory .
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Time to Buy a Truck? - 04/25/20
Financing is great right now if you want 7 year payments and you have very good credit. Depends on the truck you want. Selection will be limited to whats on hand. They will not be taking order for a specific truck unless you to really wait. Used market should be better soon. Again depends on the truck. 1/2 ton gas, or 3/4 ton, 1 ton diesel. I doubt the diesels are going to tank anytime soon.
Posted By: turkish Re: Time to Buy a Truck? - 04/25/20

+1. And some pay $20k for a used car already 10 yrs old. And then turn around and put $2k of extras on that same car. Crazy what some folks do with their money.

Car buying threads are the best!
Posted By: JD45 Re: Time to Buy a Truck? - 04/25/20
I believe in what Dave Ramsey says. Never finance anything but a house. Only buy new when you are worth about 1 million and can blow it on one.

Otherwise, buy several years old and pay cash.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Time to Buy a Truck? - 04/25/20
Dave Ramsey is a jackass. Making millions off the ignorant, regurgitating financial advice that would be obvious to any 10 year old that's ever ran a lemonade stand.
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Time to Buy a Truck? - 04/25/20
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Yeah, and they have a 'micro' brake knob for park brake.

Pretty straight old trucks. Roll tarps, like new tires, probably a bit under-powered but we're only using them to haul seed wheat, not super truckin'.

We are retiring a couple older IH trucks to field duty only.

444 or 466's? I have a '95 4700 lo-pro with a navstar 7.3 that has 490,000 on it. Looks like hammered [bleep] and I have no idea how it passes inspection every year, but it's a [bleep] workhorse. Starts on ether and smokes like Snoop Dogg but a [bleep] workhorse.
Posted By: Daveinjax Re: Time to Buy a Truck? - 04/25/20
I made an offer on a used truck about a month ago. Guy turned the offer down. He did me a favor. The auction lots I drive by several times a week are full. There’s a couple rows of like new or new dodge trucks on one lot. I expect there will be a bunch of work trim trucks coming available in a couple of months and I’ll go to the auction and get a deal. I’m sure my work will be slow in the coming months but I don’t have to do much to keep my head above water.
Posted By: JD45 Re: Time to Buy a Truck? - 04/25/20
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Dave Ramsey is a jackass. Making millions off the ignorant, regurgitating financial advice that would be obvious to any 10 year old that's ever ran a lemonade stand.

I disagree, It's not obvious to people! He is not perfect by any means. But do you realize how many people can't come up with $400 in an emergency? Google it.
Do you think buying new and staying in credit card debt is smart?
Posted By: chesterwy Re: Time to Buy a Truck? - 04/25/20
Off lease oilfield pickups should be cheap pretty soon.

You might be OK buying an F-150 that belonged to a salesman or manager. I'd stay well clear of buying something that was used as a field pickup.
Posted By: smarquez Re: Time to Buy a Truck? - 04/25/20
Originally Posted by OutlawPatriot
Screw the financing. I have cash, give me a huge rebate and keep the bank.

You won't get the rebate paying cash. Finance, get the rebate and pay off before the first installment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLxVyeFmod8
Posted By: Windfall Re: Time to Buy a Truck? - 04/25/20
I saw up to 30% off MSRP on Rams down in FL. so that probably gives you a good starting point on a new one. Lenztruck.com with two locations in Wisconsin advertises 800 late model used trucks and SUV's on the lot all the time and are advertising now that they would deliver.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Time to Buy a Truck? - 04/25/20
Cheaper Toyota dealer here has new Tundras for about 5K off MSRP. Cheapest truck with rebates/discounts is over 40K.
My buddy said he saw Chevy 1500s for 30K.
I think there will be buyers after the virus lock down breaks, but then a dry spell. I don't need one, but I think waiting a few months would get best deal.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Time to Buy a Truck? - 04/25/20
Originally Posted by wem
Disagree with your neighbor. Dealerships are hemorrhaging and they don't even know it. Manufacturers finance their inventory, but dealers make money on repairs and used vehicles which have been sky high recently. After the soft startup you'll see only 65-70% of people returning to jobs. Less than 50% will return to jobs in retail, hospitality and restaurants. Commercial real estate will take years to recover.

Spent a few days truck shopping for a slightly used 2019 F-150; one dealer wouldn't budge the other was willing to deal. It will be a buyers market if you're buying.

A lot of places have loaded lots. In 4 more months the 2021s start coming out. Sounds like rock and hard place to me.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Time to Buy a Truck? - 04/25/20
More supply than demand, at least in the next year.
Good time to pick up used stuff. Probably a lot of 2018/19 cars will be sold off. Downsizing after this mayhem is probably realistic.
New and newer cars will be out of reach for a lot of folks. It is amazing that US can sell so many cars when most Americans are not financially stable. This event will shake that out.
© 24hourcampfire