Home
Posted By: persiandog chest freezer ? - 04/26/20
went to home depot to buy a chest freezer , the GE 7.0 CU ft looks good and reasonable price ($289) , but the reviews are terrible.
do you have a recommendation?
Posted By: baldhunter Re: chest freezer ? - 04/26/20
I bought a Hotpoint freezer about a year ago.It's a nice sturdy outside unlike most of them that are very flimsy.Light on the inside of the lid,two baskets and outside warning indicator lights.I think it's well worth the few extra dollars.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hotpoint-9-4-cu-ft-Manual-Defrost-Chest-Freezer-HCM9DMWW/305143881
Posted By: Remsen Re: chest freezer ? - 04/26/20
I bought this Frigidaire from Target last year to keep processed elk and deer: https://www.target.com/p/frigidaire-7-0-cu-ft-chest-freezer-white/-/A-52584638

Definitely a lot of space and it's quiet, but it's not terribly efficient. For $170 delivered at the time, though, it was a hard deal to beat. In the year I've had it, zero problems.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: chest freezer ? - 04/26/20
Good luck finding any home appliance with good reviews.
Posted By: coobie Re: chest freezer ? - 04/26/20
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Good luck finding any home appliance with good reviews.
THIS ^^ China junk.With the exception of speed queen washers/dryers made in USA..
Posted By: Sauer200 Re: chest freezer ? - 04/26/20
Originally Posted by Remsen
I bought this Frigidaire from Target last year to keep processed elk and deer: https://www.target.com/p/frigidaire-7-0-cu-ft-chest-freezer-white/-/A-52584638

Definitely a lot of space and it's quiet, but it's not terribly efficient. For $170 delivered at the time, though, it was a hard deal to beat. In the year I've had it, zero problems.

Huh, I figured a fella of your ilk woulda persuaded them to pay you to take it.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: chest freezer ? - 04/26/20
My little GE chest freezer is working fine after 16 yrs and two moves. Don't know if build quality is the same these days.
Posted By: memtb Re: chest freezer ? - 04/26/20
Sadly, few if any are built with quality or longevity being their “strong suit”! About 10 or 12 years ago we bought a used large (21 cu.ft., I think) chest freezer....we needed a second large chest freezer. It is a Sears Coldspot, that we bought from an elderly couple. . We knew it was old, and only payed $50.00. I didn’t realize how old until we got home with it, and I did some research. It was manufactured in 1963.......which, makes it older than many “fire” members. I’m certain that it’s not as efficient as the new stuff, but it’s still doing what it was built to do....57 years ago! wink memtb
Posted By: krp Re: chest freezer ? - 04/26/20
Mine is a Tappan, I believe I bought it at Sears, manufactured in 1998 so probably 1999 when I bought it. Still going fine, I keep it outside on the patio, doesn't get direct sun.

Kent
Posted By: poboy Re: chest freezer ? - 04/26/20
I'm a upright guy.
Posted By: JeffA Re: chest freezer ? - 04/26/20
Compressors in most every one is identical, all related parts (which are few) are universal.
Find the one with the nicest door gasket and cheapest price and run with it.
Extra baskets are always a plus...

Should be able to get one for just under $200.00
Posted By: blacktailbuster Re: chest freezer ? - 04/26/20
I bought a Kenmore 15 years ago from Sears. Looks like crap but still going strong. Everything rusts here with our marine air and humidity. When i replace it, it will be with an upright.
Posted By: mbhunt Re: chest freezer ? - 04/26/20
Chest freezers are a pain in the a$$. Get an upright, you'll be glad you did.
Posted By: krp Re: chest freezer ? - 04/26/20
I decided on a chest freezer because they are more efficient, cost less, don't freezer burn as much, last longer... they are a pain in the ass if you need to find something on the bottom and you need to go through it once in awhile to find stuff you forgot you had.

Kent
Posted By: BamBam Re: chest freezer ? - 04/26/20
Originally Posted by mbhunt

This, I have both, and I highly recommend a standup freezer. Even if it’s a smaller upright, get two.I am sick of digging deep into my chest freezer!
Posted By: Greyghost Re: chest freezer ? - 04/26/20
Whirlpool 14.8 cu. ft. chest, going strong for 5 years now. Keep it full at all times so that they don't work so hard. When I get some free space I fill it up with frozen 1 gal milk jugs full of Ice. Same with the side x side fridge. Freezer starts to empty out freeze some more jugs. Restock the fridge from the chest and move the jugs to the chest freezer. Saves wear and tear on both, saves electricity, and if power goes out you have plenty of jugs of ice you can distribute between the chest freezer and both sides of the side x side.

Phil
Posted By: memtb Re: chest freezer ? - 04/26/20
We’ve had both.....upright and chest freezers. The key word being “had” on the upright! If you have the ability to organize you foods in separate containers.....you’ll be quite happy with a chest freezer! We’ll stay with the chest freezers....thank you! memtb
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: chest freezer ? - 04/26/20
My current Sears freezer is going on 40 years, bought in late '80. Never an issue with it but I doubt they make them like it any more.
Posted By: hanco Re: chest freezer ? - 04/26/20
I like the standup freezers. Much easier to keep items organized organized.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: chest freezer ? - 04/26/20
I much prefer the chest freezer. As large as possible. I acquired enough baskets to cover the full length of the bottom. Steaks in one basket, roasts in another, hamburger in another, pork and poultry in a fourth. Then sliding baskets on top for veggies, ice cream, bacon and such.

Everything stays organized and inventoried.

But the new freezer is ordered and will be a 20 cu ft upright. Momma is tired of standing on her head. Ordered over a month ago. Might be here in six or eight weeks.
Posted By: akasparky Re: chest freezer ? - 04/26/20
Same here, chests work for me.
Top baskets are key, use out of the sorted baskets and restock them from below....
They burn up more space due to larger foot print but they don't let all the cold out every time you open them.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: chest freezer ? - 04/27/20
I have a 9 CU ft Kenmore which I bought in 1985 - still running. Only time down was the trip from San Diego to CO, about 5 days. Also have Kenmore 14 CU ft which I bought about 8 years ago which has run with no problems.
Posted By: dan_oz Re: chest freezer ? - 04/27/20
Originally Posted by BamBam

This, I have both, and I highly recommend a standup freezer. Even if it’s a smaller upright, get two.I am sick of digging deep into my chest freezer!

Yes, this. I can't fault my chest freezer's longevity (made in Australia 20-odd years ago) but it is a PITA to dig down into it to find stuff. Even more of a pain to reassemble the 3D jigsaw puzzle to put everything back when it is full. An upright is just so much more convenient.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: chest freezer ? - 04/27/20
Originally Posted by persiandog
went to home depot to buy a chest freezer , the GE 7.0 CU ft looks good and reasonable price ($289) , but the reviews are terrible.

What are the complaints on the reviews? Was it too deep to reach the bottom? Not enough baskets? Or was that it didn't work? People complain about their own decisions. Getting a bad freezer is a rarity. Liking the way it works is subjective.
Posted By: Pathfinder_101st Re: chest freezer ? - 04/27/20
Check out Costco....or costco online !
Posted By: 1minute Re: chest freezer ? - 04/27/20
Given the move from Freon freezer/refrigerators are not what they used to be. Have both, but prefer the huge chest freezer for volume, and nothing falls out.
Posted By: persiandog Re: chest freezer ? - 04/27/20
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Originally Posted by persiandog

What are the complaints on the reviews? Was it too deep to reach the bottom? Not enough baskets? Or was that it didn't work? People complain about their own decisions. Getting a bad freezer is a rarity. Liking the way it works is subjective.

Most of the complains are similar to :

This product works great for 15 months! Then you wake up to a puddle with a smell that redefines what a bad smell is. Thankfully I had gotten scammed by purchasing the 5 year Home Depot Protection Plan.
Posted By: jwall Re: chest freezer ? - 04/27/20

+ 10, ABSOFREAKINLUTELY
Posted By: GeoW Re: chest freezer ? - 04/27/20
Upright for the WIN!
Posted By: saddlesore Re: chest freezer ? - 04/27/20
I have had a chest type Kenmore for more than 40 years. 24 cu ft. Still running fine.If you are serous about storing food and a lot of it, the uprights are the pits. Mine typically has at least one elk, a deer and pronghorn, plus fresh vegetables . It got crowded one year when I added a moose and an extra pronghorn.

We also have a small 7 cu ft one beside it for incidentals. If you get a non frost free, you will have less freeze burn and can store food longer.One secret to longevity is not to keep opening hem all the time.Take what you need for a week and put it in your refrigerator freezer. We keep things divided by type in the large Zip Lock bags after it is wrapped in freezer paper.It is easy to move around like that. One end is for steaks,then a column of ground meat.Next a column of chicken and pork, then vegetables. If a person is half way organized, you never go digging thru everything to find one item. Once a year when I have fresh meat, I take everything out and repack it with the fresh on the bottom.

If you get an up right and really pack it things have a habit of falling out when you open the door.I have had a few up rights when I had my big chest type filled and needed more. I found they don't last as long as a chest
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: chest freezer ? - 04/27/20
I just search the classifieds and such for vintage. Find one from a little old lady that she's had for decades and it will do you fine. Our current upright is a Kelvinator and it does amazingly well. I am on the search for a decent chest to compliment it.
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: chest freezer ? - 04/27/20
My answer isn't going to help the OP, but we have one that we got from my parents that they bought in the late 60's, early 70's. The brand on it is Gambles, which was a regional chain that went defunct in 1984. I know that we had that freezer when we moved from Rochester, MN to Fargo in 72. That freezer has been moved several times and resided in unheated garages and basements. Since we are in North Dakota, I am hoping that if and when it dies, it does so sometime between November and March. Will be less inconveient that way.
Posted By: willycc Re: chest freezer ? - 04/27/20
One of each works well move from the chest to the upright as needed plus you have the top layer/baskets in the chest.One thing you can get a lot more in a chest compared to a upright.
Posted By: Greyghost Re: chest freezer ? - 04/27/20
They make canvas freezer bags (similar to the plastic ones sold in stores, but half again as big) that have two heavy handles on top that will hold 50 pounds, or about 1-1/2 cu. ft. to keep items sorted. Handles are large strips of folded canvas that run all the way down the side under the bottom and up the other side and sewn on. Usually sold by the dozen. They work great, and makes it easy to pick items out of the bottom of chest type freezers. I have 10 of them along the bottom level of mine.

Phil
Posted By: baldhunter Re: chest freezer ? - 04/28/20
Originally Posted by Greyghost
They make canvas freezer bags (similar to the plastic ones sold in stores, but half again as big) that have two heavy handles on top that will hold 50 pounds, or about 1-1/2 cu. ft. to keep items sorted. Handles are large strips of folded canvas that run all the way down the side under the bottom and up the other side and sewn on. Usually sold by the dozen. They work great, and makes it easy to pick items out of the bottom of chest type freezers. I have 10 of them along the bottom level of mine.

Phil

I do the same thing.It really helps keeping the like items all together in separate bags.Sure beats the hell out of having a bunch of loose stuff scattered all over.
Posted By: White_Bear Re: chest freezer ? - 04/28/20
I have two chest freezers in my unattached garage full of meat. One is as old as me and the other is 4-5 years old. I will say the little LED light on the new one is a nice feature to make sure things are running. I've had two meltdowns over the years because of power issues. I glance at the little green light every night as I walk by on my way to the house in the evening.

Stuff does get lost in the bottom of the chest freezers but I eat well over 1# of meat every single day myself so we turn it over frequently. One was getting some free space so I just added an entire processed hog to it last week. No meat shortages for us.
© 24hourcampfire