Home
I've got a couple of these trimmers that I depend on a lot through the summer. I seem to have trouble getting them fired up and running worth a darn EVERY year!

I only run non-ethanol fuel through them and use Stihl 2 cycle oil. I've run them dry at the end of the year as well as stored "preserved/treated" fuel in them as well based on other's recommendations. This year the Stihl fired after choking and priming but then died and I can't get it to fire up again at all... flooded? The ECHO will fire and run as long as I keep cycling between choke and open but dies when I try to rev the throttle a little. Temp. is 70 degrees outside. The ECHO has warmed enough running it the way that I have that it is certainly not "cold".

Back in my youger years I would have already (1 or 2 years ago) taken them out and dispatched them with a shotgun or rifle sprinkled with some foul language on top. Now I have older kids that pay attention to what I say as well as younger neighbors and my own grandkids that are paying attention to me more than I care to admit!

I am getting tired of the every other year $125 repair bill to clean and adjust the carbs on these POS! I have a Stihl chainsaw, multiple 2 stroke trolling motors, Lawnboy 2 stroke mower and a Ariens 4 stroke snowblower... NEVER a problem with any of those, just these POS trimmers!!!

Am I missing something? Fresh mixed gas, plugs, and clean air filters are easy and routine.
Store them full of fuel with no ethanol and a double dose of stabil. Seafoam doesn’t hurt. Run that mix 100% of the time. 17 years on the same trimmer without a service call.
What I do for a quick fix: pull the filter off and pour raw seafoam into the carb until it fills up. Let it set for a couple minutes, no more, then crank it. It will billow smoke for a while, but then even out, and I'm GTG!
My Stihl weedeater will flood when you look at it wrong. I hate the darn thing. The rest of my power equipment runs great.
Something in the carbs, either clogged jets, or the diaphragms are shot. 2 strokes are finicky.
I replace the carb on my piece of junk Stihl last year.

YouTube will teach you how to adjust them....but they are junk.

Ive owned my last gas line cutter.
I had my fill of battery trimmers, been a couple of years but none of them lasted. Battery would be good for half the yard, so got two. That worked. The batteries however never even lasted two years even though I used and charged them correctly. Both NiCads and Lithium. The Echo trimmer has been great so far.
Run only Stihl oil and have never drained or ran the carb dry during the winter .
I store my echo full of fuel. I was told you don't need stabil if it's a oil mix fuel. I always use ethanol free premium. Sometimes I go 2 years on the same can without much problem other than a few extra pills in the spring. Doesn't Utah county require some other additive to their fuel in the winter? Maybe its something to do with that.

Bb
Do you use them commercially or around the house? I switched to a Milwaukee string trimmer last year, and hardly use the Stihl anymore
I use E10 87 octane gas with whatever oil I have. Never had any issues with my 6 year old Stihl until this year. Replaced the spark plug and it is now running fine.
Had a Stihl trimmer, was a pita to start and keep running. Tossed it and got a battery operated Dewalt. Love it.
Burley,

Cache County, only work in Utah County... I get out of there as fast as I can when not working! Nothing special in our ethanol free fuel as far as I know.

I stored both of these with stabilized fuel this year and here I am. The ECHO was running fine last fall, the Stihl had started to act up mid-summer for the umpteenth time. I will try the seafoam trick I guess. If it doesn't help, I may just dress both up as rockchucks and at least have some fun! If I am going to have to shell out $250 to get them both fixed, I may as well go get a brand new one!!! Sadly, the ECHO has not seen that much use.

Irving D,

They are just some house wussies that get used once a week for 5 months/year.
I am assuming the Milwaukee is a baterry powed trimmer?

Seems like the electric ones are "all or none". I do kind of like the throttle function on the speed of the trimmer head.

Why can't they just put a tough, reliable carb on them?
I have three Stihl chain saws, a Stihl pole saw, a Stihl string trimmer and a Stihl hedge trimmer. My Stihl dealer is a friend of mine and he gave me some good advice: Stihl tools will flood if you look at them wrong, no matter which product it is. Period. On tools like the trimmers prime with six pumps, chain saws obviously don’t get primed. Then on ALL of the tools, at this point, put it on “choke” and pop once, and once ONLY. Then switch to “run” and pop it once or twice and it’ll go usually. If not, keep on pulling, but resist the temptation to choke again....it’ll flood for sure.

After I was told this, I stopped flooding my tools.
I "treated" myself to a Stihl trimmer many years ago. Damn thing was horrible. My cheap Ryobi 4 stroke hasn't flinched in nearly 4 years of service.
I buy the premixed fuel, my troubles ended when I did that.
I have a Stihl weed eater. It is a constant source of frustration. Purchased a ryobi 40 volt electric trimmer a couple weeks ago. So far it has exceeded my expectations.
The one thing that sealed the deal for me was reloading the string on a trimmer. The battery ones were a real PIA. The Echo I just stick the string thought the hole for about 6 feet, even them up and wind. I don't have to take the head apart or buy a preloaded spool.
replacement carb on my stihl was like $18. Just 2 screws and about 15 minutes worth of effort.
My brother passed 4 years ago and I inherited his Stihl string trimmer. I abuse the crap out of it and ignore it like a big dog. It stays at the farm all winter with whatever gas is in it. It runs like a champ. The only thing I did was put a spark plug in it that is supposed to help it start better and I avoid ethanol fuel.. Pump the primer bulb 5 or 6 times and put it on full choke. It will attempt to run but quickly dies. I pump the primer bulb 3 or 4 more times and take the choke off and it starts. I mix my own 2 stroke gas with what ever I can find for oil and it still runs.

kwg
Up until last month I was using a Troybuilt 4 cycle. Had it for more than 10 years. Engine starts 1st pull every time and runs great. But the rotary shaft inside the tube finally gave out. And of course parts are more expensive than a new trimmer, if you can find them. All the rock here I gave that trimmer a hard run.

Phil
I too found the Stihl to be a POS, hard to start, horrible ergonomics. Got rid of it and bought a Ryobi LIthium Ion battery model and have been very pleased with it. I bought the combo deal with the blower, it is a great little unit compact and light weight.
Originally Posted by hanco

Yep. I used to have an issue spending that much on “premix”, but then decided it was worth the $$ to avoid the frustration and anger.

Those things are easy to fix with $15 carbs off of eBay. Doesn’t require any special skill.

Then, start using the premix. A gallon ($20) will last you the year, and it sure beats having a mental breakdown in front of others....
Weed eaters are a “disposable” tool. Can’t justify buying an expensive “reputable” name brand trimmer and servicing it for a 2-3 year problem. Bought a cheap Ryobi over 15 years ago, about $120 at a big box store...motor and shaft units completely separate. When the motor craps out every 3-4 years, go buy a new one for $60 and keep the lower unit. Ain’t worth my time or effort for $60 every few years to fix a problem motor. Now, my chainsaw is a several year old Stihl and still runs well.
Originally Posted by lundtroller
I've got a couple of these trimmers that I depend on a lot through the summer. I seem to have trouble getting them fired up and running worth a darn EVERY year!

I only run non-ethanol fuel through them and use Stihl 2 cycle oil. I've run them dry at the end of the year as well as stored "preserved/treated" fuel in them as well based on other's recommendations. This year the Stihl fired after choking and priming but then died and I can't get it to fire up again at all... flooded? The ECHO will fire and run as long as I keep cycling between choke and open but dies when I try to rev the throttle a little. Temp. is 70 degrees outside. The ECHO has warmed enough running it the way that I have that it is certainly not "cold".

Back in my youger years I would have already (1 or 2 years ago) taken them out and dispatched them with a shotgun or rifle sprinkled with some foul language on top. Now I have older kids that pay attention to what I say as well as younger neighbors and my own grandkids that are paying attention to me more than I care to admit!

I am getting tired of the every other year $125 repair bill to clean and adjust the carbs on these POS! I have a Stihl chainsaw, multiple 2 stroke trolling motors, Lawnboy 2 stroke mower and a Ariens 4 stroke snowblower... NEVER a problem with any of those, just these POS trimmers!!!

Am I missing something? Fresh mixed gas, plugs, and clean air filters are easy and routine.

Which is somewhat odd as the Stihl whipper-snippers we have at work are excellent...absolutely trouble free.

To the point that when the department updates I shall put in for one for use at home, as they are much better to use than my Honda.
I had an ECHO trimmer for ~10 years and it was great but we ended up switching to a Dewalt 60V trimmer and it sure is nice being done with gas. We also use a Dewalt 60V blower and hedge-trimmer now as well so we can use the same batteries for everything.
Update:

Did the Seafoam "soak" on the ECHO and it fired up and seems to run fine now after blowing out the smoke. Don't have to cycle the choke any longer to keep it running and it responds to the throttle like it should.

The Stihl is still (no pun intended!) Probably flooded. I will pull the plug and try again in the morning. I'm not optimistic on the Stihl unfortunately... it has let me down too many times. Will look at new carbs as well.

Thanks for the help guys!!! May have to consider going green as well!
My Stihl hand held blower gave me fits this spring. Would not start / run. Found out there is screen that gets clogged. Some kind of anti-pollution thing (or some such BS). Clean it out and no further problems.
My Stihl is a cutting fool but it's sure cold blooded. Once I get it going, it runs great.
Lundtroller: DUH.... HONDA!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by RicG
My Stihl hand held blower gave me fits this spring. Would not start / run. Found out there is screen that gets clogged. Some kind of anti-pollution thing (or some such BS). Clean it out and no further problems.

Likely the spark arrestor screen. Dip it in B12 and light with a propane torch a few times to clean it. Usually when they get clogged, the machine will run but refuse to accelerate off idle. You can toss’em if you’re just working in a nice green yard, but if you’re in a dry area, it’s definitely a fire hazard to not have it in the muffler.
Originally Posted by RicG

Probably carbon on the spark arrestor screen. That problem can probably be eliminated using synthetic 2 cycle oil (and also your spark plug will never need to be replaced). There is a catalytic converter screen that can get clogged. I will remove the catalytic converter on my new weed eater as soon as the warranty expires.
Originally Posted by rusty25
Weed eaters are a “disposable” tool. Can’t justify buying an expensive “reputable” name brand trimmer and servicing it for a 2-3 year problem. Bought a cheap Ryobi over 15 years ago, about $120 at a big box store...motor and shaft units completely separate. When the motor craps out every 3-4 years, go buy a new one for $60 and keep the lower unit. Ain’t worth my time or effort for $60 every few years to fix a problem motor. Now, my chainsaw is a several year old Stihl and still runs well.

I've had one of those Ryobi outfits for years. I have a weedeater head, pole saw attachment, and a hedge trimmer for it. Last year the motor crapped out. Just bought another power head for it at Lowes for about $60.

I always wanted Stihl stuff, but as good as this thing works, I can't justify the cost.
I do have a Stihl blower. It is great.
"I am getting tired of the every other year $125 repair bill to clean and adjust the carbs on these POS!"

Every problem I've had with 2 cycle engines was usually caused by ethanol. I had a leaf blower that wouldn't start so I took it to the local repair shop. He said it just needed new gas lines and a starting bulb. I told him to replace them (he charged $45 labor) and after that it would start but not keep running unless the choke was partially closed. I took it back and he told me "it couldn't be fixed" and offered to sell me another one at wholesale price. I was about to throw it away but decided to check Youtube to see if others had the same problems with their leaf blowers and found that a lot of people did. The fix was to replace or rebuild the carb, buy a carb adjusting tool and remove the catalytic converter (a small screen). I found an exact fit carb ($25) and the adjustment tool (cheap) on Ebay. After replacing the carb it started right up after getting it adjusted it ran better than when new. It has started right up ever since then.
Ethanol gas is the devil!!!!
All of my OPE is Echo with the exception of my lawn mower. I run rec gas (no eth) in everything and none of it has ever flinched. Echo equipment is the best in the buiz imho. All of mine is made in Japan
Originally Posted by K1500
Store them full of fuel with no ethanol and a double dose of stabil. Seafoam doesn’t hurt. Run that mix 100% of the time. 17 years on the same trimmer without a service call.

That is very good advice. I don't tell my to customers to go overboard on stabil, but you got it covered. Don't mess around changing oil brands or ratios. Also most quality 2 cycle oil already has stabilizers formulated in it.
I'm still using an ancient Echo SRM200BE trimmer. I've always used either Stabil or Seafoam in the gas with Stihl oil, but it's used a lot of ethanol gas over the years. Of course I've had to tinker with the carburetor hi and lo speed and idle adjustments, but I've never rebuilt the carb or had it in the shop for someone else to do it. It has always started though. Maybe because it's always been stored in the garage rather than a barn or outdoor shed. Might be worth storing in a semi-climate controlled place over this winter to see if that helps.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
We bought the Kobalt electric string trimmer six weeks ago. Came with a leaf blower for $350. This is the expensive one, 80 volts.

Bought it at Lowes. So far I am very impressed. We also bought the lawnmower for $525. The batteries are interchangable. The lawn mower will run an hour and a half on a charge, the leaf blower battery is smaller it runs about one hour on a charge. The lawn mower battery will probably run 2 hours in that weed eater.

Check back with me in two years, lets see how the batteries hold up. It is a delight, I see a little spot that I missed with the lawn mower, grab that weed eater and pull the trigger it lights right up. No hearing protection needed it is quiet. No carb to adjust, no non ethanol gas to fool with, no air filter to clean.

I love that lawn mower too.
I am intrigued by the battery trimmers and saws, especially for the convenience factor. That being said, if they are anything like battery shop tools, the cost of batteries going bad will far outweigh any trouble out of a gas machine.
Well, I just got back our local Stihl dealer. They had some pretty good manufacture coupons downloaded from online and redeemed at the store. Picked-up their FS 70-R string trimmer for $269.95, marked down from $339.95. Also Picked-up their MS-170 chainsaw with 20" bar and chain assembled for $159.95, a $20 discount. Then a Protective gear kit... for $99, marked down from $149.95.

Of course by the time I added in two-cycle oil, bar oil, a better head for the string trimmer, and a spool of line, all the savings were eaten up. All toll it all came to $745.

Pretty good Saturday morning... my first time out with the face mask and gloves. Pretty much haven't been out of the house in going on 3 months.

Phil
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn
Run only Stihl oil and have never drained or ran the carb dry during the winter .

+1. Started up last week with 3-4 pulls after 6 months hibernation.
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Picked-up their MS-170 chainsaw with 20" bar and chain

I don’t think so.
That’s a 30cc saw.
I have 4 Stihl gas power tools. I use stihl oil and real gasoline. Never been any ethanol in any of them. They all run great and I never have had to have any service done. I store them full of fuel.
Originally Posted by KFWA
replacement carb on my stihl was like $18. Just 2 screws and about 15 minutes worth of effort.

+1. After 9 years my Echo got hard to start and ordered a new carb off ebay. It was around $18...couple screws, couple lines to hook up and problem solved.
I took the advice of a lawncare business owner and purchased a Stihl 45 trimmer and xtra polycut head new in 2007 and has served me well. I use it extensively on my three farms around the houses and outbuildings where I can't get a lawnmower or bush hog to. Store with a full tank of non-ethanol gas that has been treated with Seafoam. Seafoam is always mixed with the gas.

This spring first cold start was 4 plunges on bulb, 3 pulls with choke, one cough, move to run and pull, fire and trim.

Originally Posted by hanco

Tried those....pull pull pull pull

You get the story
Originally Posted by roundoak
I took the advice of a lawncare business owner and purchased a Stihl 45 trimmer and xtra polycut head new in 2007 and has served me well. I use it extensively on my three farms around the houses and outbuildings where I can't get a lawnmower or bush hog to. Store with a full tank of non-ethanol gas that has been treated with Seafoam. Seafoam is always mixed with the gas.

This spring first cold start was 4 plunges on bulb, 3 pulls with choke, one cough, move to run and pull, fire and trim.

I do the same except for the full tank thing, just leave it the way I last use it
My trimmer starts the same as you described and has for many years, as have my two Stihl chainsaws and a leaf blower.
Never ethanol and always treated gas.
Originally Posted by K1500
I am intrigued by the battery trimmers and saws, especially for the convenience factor. That being said, if they are anything like battery shop tools, the cost of batteries going bad will far outweigh any trouble out of a gas machine.

I hear what you are saying. However, I am a construction guy and have built 5 houses by myself. Twenty years ago, I turned away from nails and bought my first DeWalt cordless drill and started shooting screws. I hardly even use nails any more.
My current drill is a 14 volt I bought 12 years ago and it is still a champ. I have 10 year old batteries that still work great.

But time will tell. I just used my new Kobalt weed eater and lawn mower today for 40 minutes and it is a delight to run these machines and not have to put up with the hassles of gasoline and oil etc. These machines are just 6 weeks old but, so far, get 5 Gold Stars. Time will tell.
If the batteries are half as good as 10 year old DeWalt batteries then, these yard tools are as Good as Gold.
Store them with full tanks of aviation fuel and your problems will go away.
I cant. Believe the problems guys have with simple outdoor power equipment engines.
Have run an old (pre-Echo buyout), solid shaft Shindiawa T242 trimmer for nearly 2 decades. Looked at all the other big names (Honda, Stihl, Husky, etc.) but then walked into the local shop that served many of the area landscapers and he had a Shinny engine milled with it's guts exposed next to some of the other "name" brands. Damn thing was built like a Rolex, two rings instead of one, chrome-lined bore, beautiful cylinder casting and machining on the crank. Said there's a reason all the landscapers run them and showed me what brands he had hanging in his shop awaiting repair. Mine gets used hard on more than 20-acres for 6 month/year. Ethanol-free fuel w/ 2-cycle Tanaka oil seems to keep the spark arrestor screen clean and internals nicely lubed. Empty out fuel each fall and run her dry. She never fails to fire up with just a few pulls every spring and did it yet again a few days ago. The Turfgro Vortex trimmer line is the best I've run. Very smooth running, quiet and doesn't break. This setup is a pleasure to use....
I have two Husqvarna units. great trimmers.
"Have run an old (pre-Echo buyout), solid shaft Shindiawa T242 trimmer for nearly 2 decades.

My Shindaiwa T260 lasted 18 years. Last summer I forgot to the replace the foam air filter. The old filter went to pieces and got sucked into the engine. After that it sucked a small stick or rock into the engine and the piston hit it closing the spark plug gap. It also damaged the piston or rings because it only like 20 psi compression after that. I bought a new T262 Shindaiwa that's almost identical to my old T260 except the T262 has a much better air filter set up, a paper filter with a foam pre-filter. I guess there's a still a few new Shindaiwas around, for sale, I found mine in Virginia. If you at ,look at some of the new Echo trimmers you'll find that they are actually identical to Shindaiwa trimmers. The company that owns Echo bought the Shindaiwa factory so I can still get parts for my trimmer.
One point in favor of the Echo on paper is that they are all ‘pro’ saws and trimmers in the sense that they have two ring engines, etc as was said of the shindawa above. The other brands really have two levels of build, and the ‘pro’ costs quite a bit more. Echo also has a 5 year consumer warranty, longer than many new cars. The only echo I own is nearly 40 years old, but I would look real close at a new echo saw should the need arise.
Small engine carbs are usually pretty cheap. I’ve replaced several instead of fiddle fugging with them.
I just bought a carb off Ebay for $13 new shipped for my Stihl FS80. HAI SCROLLED DOWN A LITTLE they have carb kits with spark plug, gaskets,line and other stuff for a few bucks more. Supposed to be here Friday. Weeds should be ready by then... right ? Tried the Seafoam trick and nothing. Ray
Originally Posted by Tstorm1

+1. After 9 years my Echo got hard to start and ordered a new carb off ebay. It was around $18...couple screws, couple lines to hook up and problem solved.

25 year old Echo trimmer just got an eBay carb this year and runs great again. $15 got a carb, spark plug, three fuel filters and three priming bulbs plus new fuel lines. Maybe took twenty minutes to switch out carb and filters. Now, the trimmer head is in pretty rough shape and the shaft isn't exactly great but maybe there's a year or two left in this trimmer. I never worried about fuel stored in the tank as long as it was stablized.
I use exclusivly the Stihl 2 cycle oil in my Stih trimmer. It has never failed to start on the second or third pull in the spring in 8 or 9 years. Carb has never been off it. I've had amazing luck with that oil and rec gas. I use it in every 2 cycle i own. Guess I'm lucky because mine has been an anvil. Never flooded once. Hell its still got the original plug in it.
SOOO, I got the carb... put it on and put some gas in it and it popped and died first pull...……. then it got ugly and has been nothing but a head ache since. I have had it adjusted so it would start, run wide open and idle and I figured I had it ready to go. I went in and put new string on it and greased the cutter head and it won' start. Been screwing with it for 3 days and no luck. Know a guy that ran a stihl shop for several years. Hope he can keep me from running over it with the truck. Ray
"Been screwing with it for 3 days and no luck."

Did you replace the gas lines and primer bulb when you replaced the carb. It could be something as simple as a cracked fuel line or primer bulb. Squirt a little gas in the carb and see what happens. If it doesn't fire pull the spark plug and hold it against something metal to see if you have spark when you crank it. While you have the plug out check to see how much compression you have. You should be able to find something on Youtube that will help you. Two cycle engines can be very frustrating. A friend just bought a new Stihl leaf blower and after one use it won't start.
wow and here i thought a stihl weed eater was in my future. i have a 15 y/o husky that works like a champ that i was going to relegate to camp and buy a stihl for home. sounds like i ain't doing that. my stihl chainsaw is great.
I have two straight shaft Stihls, I think the models are FS85 and FS110. The 110 is supposed to run some special oil that they no longer make. They are both over 8 years old an never had to service them. They typically start on first or second pull and have power to burn. We have a 3 acre yard with about 30 mature trees so they see quite a bit of use. If and when they give up the ghost I will buy another Stihl

This happened to me this year. After the Seafoam trick didn't work. I just put a new carb on it, and it works great. Mighta taken $18 bucks and 10 minutes tops to install.
Screw it, get a goat. (In that order.)
I have a 6 or 7 year old Husqvarna and I leave the 90 octane, no-ethanol fuel mix in it all winter. In the Spring I top off the fuel, 3 pulls on full choke then a couple on half choke and it takes right off. My old Homelite was the same way. Mine are/were the residential models.
© 24hourcampfire