Home

A New Mexico city has closed its borders to outsiders after becoming a COVID-19 hotspot

New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham has closed all roads in and out of the city of Gallup after it became a COVID-19 hotspot.

Lujan Grisham said in a statement on Friday that roads leading in and out of Gallup, a city of about 22,000 people, would be closed from 5 p.m. to 8 a.m. daily to help prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus.

"Vehicles may only have a maximum of two individuals. Residents of the city should remain at home except for emergency outings and those essential for health, safety, and welfare," Lujan Grisham's office said in the press release.

Lujan Grisham made the decision to block the roads following a request from Gallup's outgoing mayor Jackie McKinney and its new mayor, Louis Bonaguidi, who were concerned about a sharp increase in COVID-19 cases.

New Mexico has reported 3,513 COVID-19 cases and 131 deaths from the virus. Gallup's McKinley County has 1,064 of the positive COVID-19 cases, which is nearly a third of the state's total case count.

"The spread of this virus in McKinley County is frightful, and it shows that physical distancing has not occurred and is not occurring," Lujan Grisham said in a statement. "The virus is running amok there. It must be stopped, and stricter measures are necessary. A problem in one part of our state, with a virus this dangerous and this contagious, is a problem for our entire state."

Lujan Grisham has urged residents to stay home and socially distance.

"It is even more crucial for New Mexicans in the northwestern region. But what is happening in the northwest could happen in any part of our state. We must remain vigilant."

Copious apologies to all New Mexicans, but why would anyone willingly go to Gallup in the first place, the Fan Belt Capital of the World?
Originally Posted by Tuco
Copious apologies to all New Mexicans, but why would anyone willingly go to Gallup in the first place, the Fan Belt Capital of the World?

Have never gone there for the express purpose of going there but have ridden through there on the way to other, more desirable destinations...
I went through Gallup in July, 2017 to “get my kicks on Route 66”, or what little is left of it!
Maternal Grandparents are both from Gallup. Married then moved to Fallon area Nevada then on to San Joaquin County California.
There is some gorgeous country all around Gallup. It wouldn't be my first choice as a place to live, but the Cibola National Forest has some great camping and hunting opportunities. There are also a lot of good people in Gallup - I'm wishing for the best for the town.

There's a lot of poverty there, too. I hate to think of how this whole situation is going to make things worse.
More:

https://www.the-sun.com/news/772028/gallup-new-mexico-governor-blocks-traffic-coronavirus-spread/
Nothing that old commie bitch does, including sending in the Natl. Guard is gonna make any difference in Gallup.

She is convinced she's Hitler though.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Nothing that old commie bitch does, including sending in the Natl. Guard is gonna make any difference in Gallup.

Frankly so am I...
Yep.
Originally Posted by Dryfly24
Originally Posted by Tuco

Have never gone there for the express purpose of going there but have ridden through there on the way to other, more desirable destinations...

My experience also. Have driven through Gallup innumerable times, en route to more scenic destinations. Stopped only long enough to refill gas tank, which was longer than I wished.

Frankly so am I...
Ya, I would agree. I've only been in NM full-time for a year and I'm not impressed. I thought I read that the mayor of Gallup actually made the request to her for the shutdown.....and of course she was more than happy to grant it. Used something called the Riot Control Act. Only good thing is it can only be for three days, so expires on the 4th. Not sure if it can be extended thereafter though.
Originally Posted by akpls

Frankly so am I...
Ya, I would agree. I've only been in NM full-time for a year and I'm not impressed. I thought I read that the mayor of Gallup actually made the request to her for the shutdown.....and of course she was more than happy to grant it. Used something called the Riot Control Act. Only good thing is it can only be for three days, so expires on the 4th. Not sure if it can be extended thereafter though.

I’ve been here exactly three years more than you. Can’t say I’m in love with the politics but I do love the state itself. Much like a lot of other states it’s shame what the blue counties force on the rest of the state.

Frankly so am I...

I’ve been here exactly three years more than you. Can’t say I’m in love with the politics but I do love the state itself. Much like a lot of other states it’s shame what the blue counties force on the rest of the state.

I have been here since 1971 and she is the WORST governor by far!
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Frankly so am I...

And to think I left Michigan to come here thinking it couldn’t possibly be any worse...

Frankly so am I...

Yup....I love the state in general. Great weather, lots of outdoors, hunting, fishing, hiking, etc. I'm in the middle of liberal central in Santa Fe and learned pretty quickly about the politics here. Get away from the city and people tend to be pretty down-to-earth and conservative.
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Yes.

And that's saying something after two terms of Bill Richardson... whistle
Used to go through there a lot in the late 80's early 90's. There was a Mexican restaurant on the old Hwy 66 that was incredible. We'd always stop and eat there
If you have never been in Gallup on a Saturday night then you have not truly lived.
So far, about 20 posts on the topic of the extreme measures and the bad viral conditions in Gallup - including plenty of deserved criticism of the bad governor of NM - but not one word of comment about why the viral situation would be so bad there.
So I’m going to assume she can’t shut down I40 just keep on trucking. Unfortunately I been in that Walmart in Gallup 1 to many times.
Originally Posted by CCCC
So far, about 20 posts on the topic of the extreme measures and the bad viral conditions in Gallup - including plenty of deserved criticism of the bad governor of NM - but not one word of comment about why the viral situation would be so bad there.

Most likely drunk locals not interested in social distancing . When hunting unit 2 I stopped fueling up in Gallup because of the local drunks bothering me for money . Fuel up before or just outside Gallup or Shiprock if fuel level is fine. Also no longer make the drive from Gallup to Shiprock at night, to many drunk injuns on the road both driving , walking and biking , road hazard.
No doubt poverty and ignorance has much to do with it also.

you know the answer to that, one word, NAVAJO
Originally Posted by sidepass

Most likely drunk locals not interested in social distancing . When hunting unit 2 I stopped fueling up in Gallup because of the local drunks bothering me for money . Fuel up before or just outside Gallup or Shiprock if fuel level is fine. Also no longer make the drive from Gallup to Shiprock at night, to many drunk injuns on the road both driving , walking and biking , road hazard.

you have to be careful on the rez. among other things, releasing livestock outside the fence to get at the grass along side the roadways. i would hate to be in tribal court after hitting a horse.
on the san carlos apache rez, there are floodlights lining the road through the town. put there so you wouldn't run over drunks sleeping in the roadway
looking at the arizona state map of covid, those counties in the northeast have a much higher incident of covid per 100k of population.

It borders the rez. Nastiest Wallyworld I've ever seen.
Gallup is a chithole.
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
Originally Posted by sidepass

you have to be careful on the rez. among other things, releasing livestock outside the fence to get at the grass along side the roadways. i would hate to be in tribal court after hitting a horse.
on the san carlos apache rez, there are floodlights lining the road through the town. put there so you wouldn't run over drunks sleeping in the roadway

Have seen the cattle on the roadway . Hunting the forest south of 64 next to the Jic you have to be careful with firearms in the truck cause some rds weave in and out of the Jic. Tribal court could take all your stuff ,truck ,guns your tooth brush. Did manage to call bulls over the fence. Lol.
I've traveled extensively all over the USA and Canada...on the highway... seeing much of rural America..

but when I first passed thru Gallup NM on the way to the Grand Canyon with my family in our VW camper back in 1985 or 86, I thought that was the most depressing and dumpiest town I'd ever seen in my life..

trips thru there in my subsequent life haven't changed that opinion...
Been through there many times. We always ate at Earl's restaurant and bought Indian jewelry there. I can't imagine Gallup locked down.
Our SIL in NM and his new t-shirt

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Here's our Governors profile pic !
Welcome to Rez towns.
The problem is the lack of hygiene.
These people live out in the middle of no where, in family groups, in 1 house, most times with no running water or electricity.
Did coyote hunting tournaments out there and just shook my head at the conditions these people lived under.
It's their fault too. They don't seem to want to modernize. They are happy getting their free money every month from the U.S. government and staying drunk til the money runs out, then panhandle til the next check.
Natives I worked with in the oil field, and 1 now, always bitched about what the white man did to them.
The one now, hates Trump, because he cut free programs to the natives, as what he states. Programs, non natives have to pay for. No examples given....
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Gallop prolly has a bunch of Chinese tourists. wink
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Maternal Grandparents are both from Gallup. Married then moved to Fallon area Nevada then on to San Joaquin County California.

Italians or Slavs?
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Gallop prolly has a bunch of Chinese tourists. wink

No doubt. "indian jewelry capital of the world"
Originally Posted by splattermatic

These people live out in the middle of no where, in family groups, in 1 house, most times with no running water or electricity.

about like everybody on here, grandparents or great grandparents.

You know, we're so proud we live "rural"

but we got all the city stuff, like innerwebs, indoor terlets, running water, refirgeration etc.

but we not like city folk, we look down on them.
I noticed in NONE of her recent photos did she have a mask on. Be Well, Rustyzpper.
The thing about Lujan is that she was voted in by Albuquerque and Santa Fe.

I wonder how she's polling about now in those places?

My guess is that she's polling still really well there, because she's doing exactly what the commies that elected her, want her to do.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Our SIL in NM and his new t-shirt

LMAO. I need one of those.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/03/world/asia/coronavirus-spread-where-why.html?

The Covid-19 Riddle: Why Does the Virus Wallop Some Places and Spare Others?
Experts are trying to figure out why the coronavirus is so capricious. The answers could determine how to best protect ourselves and how long we have to.
Originally Posted by Sycamore
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/03/world/asia/coronavirus-spread-where-why.html?

Experts are trying to figure out why the coronavirus is so capricious. The answers could determine how to best protect ourselves and how long we have to.

I think I’ve figured it out. Does the “area” vote red or blue?
We vote Red up here, but it starting to run rampant in San Juan County.

Dryfly24, you fish the San Juan any ?

Yes.

The concentration of dumbasses is much higher in areas that vote democrat.

Is it coincidence that those same areas have more cases of Covid?

I think not. laugh

Yes.

The concentration of dumbasses is much higher in areas that vote democrat.

Is it coincidence that those same areas have more cases of Covid?

I think not. laugh

Through scientific study and many long grueling hours I’ve come to the conclusion that this disease is particularly destructive to a certain part of the brain which regulates “gullibility “.

People most affected by this devastating illness are those who in the past have voted Democrat in national elections, suffered from another equally devastating disease known as “Trump Derangement Syndrome” or TDS; and those with a penchant for lecturing others for hours on end as to the inequality suffered by persons of color.

If you’ve veered suffered from any of these afflictions or know someone who has, please warn them of the danger. Only known cure at this time is to immediately cease watching any of the mainstream media “news” channels.

My guess is that she's polling still really well there, because she's doing exactly what the commies that elected her, want her to do.
All the Santa Fe libs worship the ground she walks on. I do my best to try and irritate at least one of them each day here.

All the Santa Fe libs worship the ground she walks on. I do my best to try and irritate at least one of them each day here.

Bless you my son. You are doing God’s work...
I think I'll start posting this picture around SF. Should really piss off a lot of people here!
I think I'll start posting this picture around SF. Should really piss a lot of people here!

I never noticed before how much she resembles Pelosi. In every way imaginable. Especially in that pic.
Originally Posted by Seafire
I've traveled extensively all over the USA and Canada...on the highway... seeing much of rural America..

but when I first passed thru Gallup NM on the way to the Grand Canyon with my family in our VW camper back in 1985 or 86, I thought that was the most depressing and dumpiest town I'd ever seen in my life..

trips thru there in my subsequent life haven't changed that opinion...

Coal Mining town (shutdown) (underground and strip)

Uranium Mining town (shutdown) (underground)

Railroad town

Freeway town

Border town

New Mexico town (so far from God, and so close to Texas)

That's 6 strikes, but it is still a hell of a town, with some great people that live there, shop there and were born there. A lot of history, a lot of character, and a lot of characters.

Duh. the Rez
We vote Red up here, but it starting to run rampant in San Juan County.

Dryfly24, you fish the San Juan any ?

Sorry, I didn’t see your post earlier. I had plans to go up there quite a few times this year but this Corona stupidity has put a serious damper on them.
Just read in the local SF rag that the lockdown order for Gallup was extended until Thursday.
Talk already of extending it past Thursday.

Don’t see it getting better around here anytime soon. Get just outside of Gallup and it is life as normal on the Rez.

Just read in the local SF rag that the lockdown order for Gallup was extended until Thursday.

© 24hourcampfire