Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

A New Mexico city has closed its borders to outsiders after becoming a COVID-19 hotspot

New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham has closed all roads in and out of the city of Gallup after it became a COVID-19 hotspot.

Lujan Grisham said in a statement on Friday that roads leading in and out of Gallup, a city of about 22,000 people, would be closed from 5 p.m. to 8 a.m. daily to help prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus.

"Vehicles may only have a maximum of two individuals. Residents of the city should remain at home except for emergency outings and those essential for health, safety, and welfare," Lujan Grisham's office said in the press release.

Lujan Grisham made the decision to block the roads following a request from Gallup's outgoing mayor Jackie McKinney and its new mayor, Louis Bonaguidi, who were concerned about a sharp increase in COVID-19 cases.

New Mexico has reported 3,513 COVID-19 cases and 131 deaths from the virus. Gallup's McKinley County has 1,064 of the positive COVID-19 cases, which is nearly a third of the state's total case count.

"The spread of this virus in McKinley County is frightful, and it shows that physical distancing has not occurred and is not occurring," Lujan Grisham said in a statement. "The virus is running amok there. It must be stopped, and stricter measures are necessary. A problem in one part of our state, with a virus this dangerous and this contagious, is a problem for our entire state."

Lujan Grisham has urged residents to stay home and socially distance.

"It is even more crucial for New Mexicans in the northwestern region. But what is happening in the northwest could happen in any part of our state. We must remain vigilant."

Carpe' Scrotum
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Copious apologies to all New Mexicans, but why would anyone willingly go to Gallup in the first place, the Fan Belt Capital of the World?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Tuco
Copious apologies to all New Mexicans, but why would anyone willingly go to Gallup in the first place, the Fan Belt Capital of the World?

Have never gone there for the express purpose of going there but have ridden through there on the way to other, more desirable destinations...

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I went through Gallup in July, 2017 to “get my kicks on Route 66”, or what little is left of it!

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maternal Grandparents are both from Gallup. Married then moved to Fallon area Nevada then on to San Joaquin County California.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
There is some gorgeous country all around Gallup. It wouldn't be my first choice as a place to live, but the Cibola National Forest has some great camping and hunting opportunities. There are also a lot of good people in Gallup - I'm wishing for the best for the town.

There's a lot of poverty there, too. I hate to think of how this whole situation is going to make things worse.

Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nothing that old commie bitch does, including sending in the Natl. Guard is gonna make any difference in Gallup.

She is convinced she's Hitler though.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Nothing that old commie bitch does, including sending in the Natl. Guard is gonna make any difference in Gallup.

Frankly so am I...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Dryfly24
Originally Posted by Tuco

Have never gone there for the express purpose of going there but have ridden through there on the way to other, more desirable destinations...

My experience also. Have driven through Gallup innumerable times, en route to more scenic destinations. Stopped only long enough to refill gas tank, which was longer than I wished.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A

Frankly so am I...
Ya, I would agree. I've only been in NM full-time for a year and I'm not impressed. I thought I read that the mayor of Gallup actually made the request to her for the shutdown.....and of course she was more than happy to grant it. Used something called the Riot Control Act. Only good thing is it can only be for three days, so expires on the 4th. Not sure if it can be extended thereafter though.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by akpls

Frankly so am I...
Ya, I would agree. I've only been in NM full-time for a year and I'm not impressed. I thought I read that the mayor of Gallup actually made the request to her for the shutdown.....and of course she was more than happy to grant it. Used something called the Riot Control Act. Only good thing is it can only be for three days, so expires on the 4th. Not sure if it can be extended thereafter though.

I’ve been here exactly three years more than you. Can’t say I’m in love with the politics but I do love the state itself. Much like a lot of other states it’s shame what the blue counties force on the rest of the state.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E

Frankly so am I...

I’ve been here exactly three years more than you. Can’t say I’m in love with the politics but I do love the state itself. Much like a lot of other states it’s shame what the blue counties force on the rest of the state.

I have been here since 1971 and she is the WORST governor by far!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Frankly so am I...

And to think I left Michigan to come here thinking it couldn’t possibly be any worse...

Last edited by Dryfly24; 05/02/20.
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A

Frankly so am I...

Yup....I love the state in general. Great weather, lots of outdoors, hunting, fishing, hiking, etc. I'm in the middle of liberal central in Santa Fe and learned pretty quickly about the politics here. Get away from the city and people tend to be pretty down-to-earth and conservative.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

Yes.

And that's saying something after two terms of Bill Richardson... whistle

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Used to go through there a lot in the late 80's early 90's. There was a Mexican restaurant on the old Hwy 66 that was incredible. We'd always stop and eat there

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If you have never been in Gallup on a Saturday night then you have not truly lived.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So far, about 20 posts on the topic of the extreme measures and the bad viral conditions in Gallup - including plenty of deserved criticism of the bad governor of NM - but not one word of comment about why the viral situation would be so bad there.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 1234, 55 invisible), 2,468 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,408
Posts18,470,229
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.