Home
At least in Texas the Dairy Queen Tacos are pretty darn tasty.

Also, the Jalisco Belt Buster Burger tastes mighty fine. Meat, pepper Jack cheese, dipped and fried Jalapeno slivers and Jalapeno sauce.

What do you guys recommend?
In these parts Subways are plentiful.

I’m happy with jack links jerky and double fist size fountain drink.
First choice WhataBurger. Then Dairy Queen if there’s one around. I prefer the Beltbuster with cheese and a Chocolate dipped Ice cream cone. Sonic if not.
Subway as a last resort.

I’d rather stop at a convenience store and buy a pack of bologna and a loaf of bread than eat at subway. 🤠
Hot wings, (if I’m driving!)😁
Seriously, if I’m driving, chicken tenders are easy to eat while I’m driving
I very, very, rarely eat fast food of any kind but on rare occasion when I’m out and about and get a wild hair, Blake’s Lota Buger is pretty good. Whataburger Would work also.
taco bell or wendys if arbies ain't around.
Taco Bell.
‘Nother vote for Whataburger, #4 supersized with a large onion rings and a large Diet Coke.

Or if it’s early, four cheap and greasy jalapeño sausage kolaches from the nearest convenience store, I always regret that afterwards but that’s afterwards 🙂

I am particular about my coffee tho, McDonalds or nothing, two large coffees with ten creams in each.
Anybody who lives in Texas and thinks Dairy Queen tacos are where it's at, is beyond help.
Been a couple years or more I gave up Bill Millers BB-Q. It has little taste and their pinto beans must be for tourists.
Don't like to eat much on a long road trip, usually take some jerky and corn nuts to snack on, so I only have to stop for fuel also try not to drink much so I don't have to stop and pee too often.
Jaguartx: I have eaten a LOT of "on the road fast food" (From Florida to Alaska!) and my recommendation as of today is the Popeyes "Chicken Sandwich"!
Damn they are good - not messy to eat while travelling and in addition to the tastiness it is large and rather filling!
The last one I bought (IIRC) was $3.69 (no sales tax in Montana) and absolutely humbles and disgraces ANY and EVERY offering from MickeyD's.
Sadly the nearest "Popeyes" restaurant is 165 miles from me.
I do have a Dairy Queen in my hometown here in SW Montana and will try their "Tacos" - I will advise though that EVERY item on their current menu that I have tried has been quite disappointing - some to the extreme.
Thanks for the headsup though - and let me know what you think of the Popeyes Chicken Sandwich if and when you try'em.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I search out the local Mexican places. I very rarely eat fast food.
EdM: There is merit in your recommendation but "I" and a lot of people need to grab and go when we are travelling!
As was the initial posters inference when he posted "something quick to eat on the go"!
Yeah I love Mexican (Americanized anyway - never been to mainland Mexico!) but its an hour to stop, park, order, wait for food eat the food and pay for it.
Matter of fact may do Mexican tomorrow as our towns Mexican restaurant was given the OK to re-open just this past week and its been a LONG time since I have eaten Mexican (Americanized).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
None of that trash Jag, if I can find a c store im GTG, a couple three four tins sardines, apple and banana and a couple bottles of unsweetened tea, good nutrition that will keep you banging on all eight cylinders for half a day.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
First choice WhataBurger. Then Dairy Queen if there’s one around. I prefer the Beltbuster with cheese and a Chocolate dipped Ice cream cone. Sonic if not.
Subway as a last resort.

I’d rather stop at a convenience store and buy a pack of bologna and a loaf of bread than eat at subway. 🤠

Sonic burgers make my belly hurt. Subway is ok if you stick with the roast beef, otherwise you may puke and crap like hell for 2 days.

BTW, iirc its Chicken Express often has 15 chicken tenders for $10 but it's only on Tursdays. Their chicken livers are good to go.
Jimmie Johns if you got 'em. Fast fast fast, and good.

Also, regonal convenience chains WaWa and Sheetz have pretty good food, but it can take a few minutes.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

I am particular about my coffee tho, McDonalds or nothing, two large coffees with ten creams in each.

That’s no longer coffee.
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Jaguartx: I have eaten a LOT of "on the road fast food" (From Florida to Alaska!) and my recommendation as of today is the Popeyes "Chicken Sandwich"!
Damn they are good - not messy to eat while travelling and in addition to the tastiness it is large and rather filling!
The last one I bought (IIRC) was $3.69 (no sales tax in Montana) and absolutely humbles and disgraces ANY and EVERY offering from MickeyD's.
Sadly the nearest "Popeyes" restaurant is 165 miles from me.
I do have a Dairy Queen in my hometown here in SW Montana and will try their "Tacos" - I will advise though that EVERY item on their current menu that I have tried has been quite disappointing - some to the extreme.
Thanks for the headsup though - and let me know what you think of the Popeyes Chicken Sandwich if and when you try'em.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I don’t know if they’re tasty enough to risk my life getting one. I’ve seen the videos.

Those sandwiches are very popular with the joggers... grin
Originally Posted by EdM
I search out the local Mexican places. I very rarely eat fast food.

+1 Burritos are great for driving. Always try and go local if possible.
Originally Posted by gunner500
None of that trash Jag, if I can find a c store im GTG, a couple three four tins sardines, apple and banana and a couple bottles of unsweetened tea, good nutrition that will keep you banging on all eight cylinders for half a day.

And on along sleepy trip when you're tired, an apple or banana can give you a 3-4 hour unreal blast of energy and keep you awake on the road.

The sardines are great with some storeside gas stations jalapeno cheese crackers. Great too, for lunch on an all day quail hunt, especially if you have some sharp cheddar and mayo in the ice chest.

We need to do that some time Gun.,
Black coffee, fig bars, dried fruit and nut mix.
Sandwich for lunch. I try not to stop often on road trips. Usually set the CC 9mph over posted limit and try to knock out miles as fast as possible.
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Jimmie Johns if you got 'em. Fast fast fast, and good.

Also, regonal convenience chains WaWa and Sheetz have pretty good food, but it can take a few minutes.

I second Jimmie Johns. Beats the holy hell out of subway.
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by gunner500

And on along sleepy trip when you're tired, an apple or banana can give you a 3-4 hour unreal blast of energy and keep you awake on the road.

The sardines are great with some storeside gas stations jalapeno cheese crackers. Great too, for lunch on an all day quail hunt, especially if you have some sharp cheddar and mayo in the ice chest.

We need to do that some time Gun.,

Show nuff Buddy! we will.
Traveling - I try not to eat anything greasy or spicy.

It'll get my guts moving.

I was headed home from work once in south LA. Pains hit me. Wheeled into the first and only place I saw. Cutting it down to the seconds. Code red, the sweats had started.

Get into the bathroom and the door dont lock. And it opens into the store, not down a hall or around the corner.

So i hung my hat on the outside and hoped for the best.......
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Black coffee, fig bars, dried fruit and nut mix.
Sandwich for lunch. I try not to stop often on road trips. Usually set the CC 9mph over posted limit and try to knock out miles as fast as possible.

Agreed, but sometimes groceries become a necessity. I was hauling ass yesterday to get to the Turkey lease before dark to spend the night in the popup. I got the burger for last night and avoided cooking in the dark. I got the tacos and ate them this PM. Did pistachios and smoked almonds with coffee this AM.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Traveling - I try not to eat anything greasy or spicy.

It'll get my guts moving.

I was headed home from work once in south LA. Pains hit me. Wheeled into the first and only place I saw. Cutting it down to the seconds. Code red, the sweats had started.

Get into the bathroom and the door dont lock. And it opens into the store, not down a hall or around the corner.

So i hung my hat on the outside and hoped for the best.......

I once left my spot on a ridge the elk fed down in the PM and hoofed it down into the canyon while praying that I didnt crap until I made the Creek. I wont do that again. Its hell bathing in a creek at 11,000 feet in elk season.
I use my Chick-fil-A app and order a couple spicy chicken sandwiches. Hit arriving and they bring the food out to you. Takes only a few minutes.
If they are not available I hit the Popeyes for their spicy chicken.
Spicy pork rinds and cold beer.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Spicy pork rinds and cold beer.

That could get exciting in Texas.
Hell, I still pack sandwiches or sandwich makings and stuff just like when we was kids on trips. Bags of cheetos and chips. Cookies! And sodie waters!!
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Anybody who lives in Texas and thinks Dairy Queen tacos are where it's at, is beyond help.

I’ll drink to that
Me and Dad used to go out and fish at Lake Ray Hubbard on the outskirts of east Dallas when I was a kid. He'd stop at this General Store in Rockwall...there wasn't really nothing in Rockwall at the time, but the General Store, IIRC. Then we'd go bank fish. Dad would get us some ham and cheese sammiches at that store and get minnows in the bucket. Ice cold coke to warsh it all down. Mebbe some chips. Cheez Whiz.
A long time ago I used to eat at the Dairy Queen in Lindale, Texas frequently. Their tacos were damn good.
Originally Posted by antlers
A long time ago I used to eat at the Dairy Queen in Lindale, Texas frequently. Their tacos were damn good.

Yep, I've had tacos from LaPesca, Mexico to Alaska. They rank with the best and much better than most found in high class Mexican restaurants.
[Linked Image from wltx.com]

Pork Chop Sandwich. Mercury Street. Regular (mustard, onions, pickles)
If you’re in upper East Tn, PALS is where it’s at. A big Pal with cheese and a sauce burger is where it’s at. Come summertime when barby dogs are back....holy cow.
If in Idaho, pass the Dairy Queen and the Pop-Eyes, most anything else is better. From the taste, DQ changes the oil on the fryers every Leap year (whether it needs it or not) and even cooks their burgers in the fryers. All of their food has a rustic, floor of the barn type flavor. Truly horrible. I will take gas station burritos over DQ every time.

Pop-Eyes in Idaho is another experience in horrible. We had a Pop-Eyes in Idaho Falls for a few months. Super expensive, super slow, really bad food. I told my buddy in Boise about it and he said theirs was the same, must be a chain.

Anyway, I’m not fussy but disgusting and terrible prices or service leave a mark. I remember.

Cross
Braum’s.

Whataburger is Chicago-owned, now.

Dairy Queen is Berkshire Hathaway. The other issue is that I’ve been to too many DQ’s that take too long. I’m talking a near 20 minute wait for food. If I gotta wait that long, I might as well be getting a real meal.
A coworker once said that the subway bread aroma smells just like sweaty gym socks.

He was right. He ruined me on Subway. I can smell it walking in.

Not many Arbys around here anymore. But taco trucks abound.
Roast beef sandwich, bag of chips, can of beans or corn niblets.

Cookies.

Bring it with you.

Sheesh.....fugging city people.

At the very least....some jerky or kipper snacks.
Impressed.

Many suggestions mirrored my own.

Nice.
Ditto on the sandwiches. Thermos full of coffee.
I just eat what the dogs having
On the road? I used to do quite nicely with ruby red grapefruit juice and maybe a candy bar like a salted nut roll. Kept me going, satisfied thirst, no gastrointestinal issues and no pit stops until the car needed gas. Or for more a national chain fast food like McDonald's which was big on maintaining corporate standards. Bit that failed me once in Greely making for a couple unpleasant days. sick

But that was way back when I could work 8 hours and manage 20 hours on the road. Hated stopping when I had a place to be.
A fresh bag of Little Debbie Mini Chocolate Donuts and a 20oz Coke will take me a long way down the road. And they are share-able. I missed the last duck hunt in W.KY. Buddies had a good time, but no birds. They blamed bad luck on lack of chocolate donuts !
I recently completed a cross country trip. In the southwest the truck stops had a potato jalapeno burrito that would stick with me for a full 5 hours. I though this must have been invented by a trucker.
Originally Posted by Orion2000
A fresh bag of Little Debbie Mini Chocolate Donuts and a 20oz Coke will take me a long way down the road. And they are share-able. I missed the last duck hunt in W.KY. Buddies had a good time, but no birds. They blamed bad luck on lack of chocolate donuts !

I'll have to try that on my next duck hunt. I never heard those would help ones shooting. I wonder if they work on geese. They had a good time but no birds? What were they drinking?
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Hell, I still pack sandwiches or sandwich makings and stuff just like when we was kids on trips. Bags of cheetos and chips. Cookies! And sodie waters!!

KW, I needed FOOD. I'm on that one meal a day diet and I hadnt eaten since the previous day. I planned on crackers and sardines for dinner at camp but decided I wanted something tastier as I drove through Sterling City.

I had the burger in camp that night and the tacos the next evening.

I normally make Tuna/egg with lime juice, mayo, dill relish, dash of mustard and a bit of Valentino's hot sauce for sandwiches. I didn't happen to have time to roast a roast.

I think I will try DQ in Sterling City again.

KW, I needed FOOD. I'm on that one meal a day diet and I hadnt eaten since the previous day. I planned on crackers and sardines for dinner at camp but decided I wanted something tastier as I drove through Sterling City.

I normally make Tuna/egg with lime juice, mayo, dill relish, dash of mustard and a bit of Valentino's hot sauce for sandwiches. I didn't happen to have time to roast a roast.

I thought that was what I was talking about ol’ friend???? 🤣🤣🤣
This is the only reason I ever eat fast food.

I thought that was what I was talking about ol’ friend???? 🤣🤣🤣

Yes, dear, but I hadda 'splain fer others. wink
🤣🤣🤣🤣

I'll have to try that on my next duck hunt. I never heard those would help ones shooting. I wonder if they work on geese. They had a good time but no birds? What were they drinking?

No alcohol on our trips. Just the old saying "A bad day in the duck blind is still better than a good day on the job..." We have a good crew that all get along. Weeded out the whiners, complainers, wet blankets after the first couple years. Everyone shares in the work, the cost, and the fun. Everyone understands that if the ducks are flying, we might stay an extra day. If the ducks are not flying, we might break camp and head home. Just a good crew...

And no, the chocolate donuts do not work for geese. We have goose dekes in the spread. But, have never taken a goose.
Dairy Queen tacos??

If I wanted ultimate diarrhea, it get a salad from Burger King. 🤮🤮🤮🤮
I dont eat much while on the road, makes me sleepy when I'm driving. Sausage and egg McMuffin, small OJ and large coffee with 3 creams and 2 sugars will last me until afternoon. I have never had a bad sandwich at Subway.
Allsups three day old burritos gets you across the Texas panhandle....that will change your oil eek

No alcohol on our trips. Just the old saying "A bad day in the duck blind is still better than a good day on the job..." We have a good crew that all get along. Weeded out the whiners, complainers, wet blankets after the first couple years. Everyone shares in the work, the cost, and the fun. Everyone understands that if the ducks are flying, we might stay an extra day. If the ducks are not flying, we might break camp and head home. Just a good crew...

And no, the chocolate donuts do not work for geese. We have goose dekes in the spread. But, have never taken a goose.

Darn it. I was going to try them for sandhills, also. wink
Originally Posted by jnyork
I dont eat much while on the road, makes me sleepy when I'm driving. Sausage and egg McMuffin, small OJ and large coffee with 3 creams and 2 sugars will last me until afternoon. I have never had a bad sandwich at Subway.

Same here but I was 20 min from Turkey camp and didnt eat the burger until after a wine in camp that night.

For that reason I only eat apples or bannans on the road. Its scientifically proven an apple works last much, much longer than coffee and sugar. Iirc, 5-10 times longer.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Dairy Queen tacos??

If I wanted ultimate diarrhea, it get a salad from Burger King. 🤮🤮🤮🤮

I miss their Angus Burgers, Slummer.

Tell me again, please, what junk food joint Rene gets hopped up about?
You talking those deep fried bean filled tacos or the reg'lar type ones?
No, Kenjs, they were greasy fried meat tacos. I dont know how they are elsewhere, however. I'm going to try them in Odessa. I know the Crane DQ made good ones several years ago.

Strangely, the Odessa stores have great, white, smooth creamy vanilla ice cream while some places have the more yellowish, grained ice cream.
Tasty things when you are in the mood for 'em - but dangerous. :-) Enjoy them my friend. Safe travels.

RC, I’ve eaten at that Sterling City DQ MANY times !
It’s one of the better ones. Good hamburgers & great tacos and ice cream.

I will add that the DQ’s I’ve stopped at in other states are not near as good as the TX ones I’ve been too. Must be a regional thing or different owners. The ones I’ve dined at in OK & NM are not the same.
Everything is better in Texas. wink
The DQs in Nevada are mediocre at best. I'll eat the ice cream and that's it.

No doubt Doc! 🤠

No doubt Doc! 🤠

Neal!!!!! How about an Allsup’s gut grenade?????

No doubt Doc! 🤠

Nope, not going to try that.

Be like opening one of kingston's links.

Most of the time, especially if I only want to break for fuel and peeing, it's cheap string cheese, beef jerky, Snyder's pretzel rods, and a thermos of coffee or just straight water. Dried fruit and maybe some Mike and Ike's or Dots candy for desert. keep on Truckin. like a DooDah man.

No doubt Doc! 🤠

Used to eat them all the time as a teenager.

Until I got the 2nd worst case of food poisoning I’ve ever had 😳

No doubt Doc! 🤠

That would be the Allsup's three day old burrito....

Get it right - everything is bigger 'n better in Texas.

No doubt Doc! 🤠

Used to eat them all the time as a teenager.

Until I got the 2nd worst case of food poisoning I’ve ever had 😳

See, I have learned from other's mistakes.

Just like when folks say "never open a link posted by kingston"..............we're not jokin'

DO NOT eat Allsup's gut grenades............ever.
David. I just had to get some more. Broke the diet and went to Odessa DQ. Not as good. Not greasy fried shells.

Otoh, those I ate last evening had sat in the truck for 24 hours. Humm. Maybe the meat juice had just soaked into the shells and I essentially fried them by microwaving them last night.
David. I just had to get some more. Broke the diet and went to Odessa DQ. Not as good. Not greasy fried shells.

Otoh, those I ate last evening had sat in the truck for 24 hours. Humm. Maybe the meat juice had just soaked into the shells and I essentially fried them by microwaving them last night.

Yep. That would be my guess.

Yep. That would be my guess.

Never tried microwaving the leftover ones.

Now you’ve made me hungry for some DQ Tacos 🌮
I like DQ Dudes! CFS sammich!
Subway sucks ass. Hell, most fast food sucks. If I’m traveling and need food, I either bring a cooler with some grub and make a sammich when I stop for gas. Or I find a place to sit and have a meal and take a break from driving
WOW four pages and no mention of vienna sausages ? Pork rinds and the like.
Chik-fila!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I like DQ Dudes! CFS sammich!

Good stuff too!
In n out or jersey mikes
How about an Allsup’s gut grenade?????

I love that pellet ice that Allsup’s has for their self-service fountain drinks. I’ve been to the Allsup’s in Dumus and Dalhart a buncha times over the years.
Bahama Mama Hot Dogs!!
Smashburger is pretty good.
Originally Posted by gunswizard
WOW four pages and no mention of vienna sausages ? Pork rinds and the like.

Those are in the truck and saved strictly for emergencies, like breaking down late in the evening in the desert 8 miles from a well traveled road varmint hunting or deer or quail hunting.

But I occasionally break a can out for a late lunch by a desert waterhole and give a few to my GSP.

Tried some of the little Lance Cheese crackers I've carried a while to go with some peanut butter for breakfast the other day on a Turkey hunt. Did you know them damned bugs can eat a little perfectly round hole in that clear plastic wrapper. There were several little beetle shells in the little round holes the factory had punched in the orange cheese crackers. Just scraped them off and applied peanut butter. I guess they didnt eat much and they tasted ok. Hot coffee probly killed any schiett left behind by the bugs.
Originally Posted by smokepole
Smashburger is pretty good.

What's that, Smoke?
Burger chain here. Great burgers, and great fries. Sweet potato fries too.

I love that pellet ice that Allsup’s has for their self-service fountain drinks. I’ve been to the Allsup’s in Dumus and Dalhart a buncha times over the years.

Been to them! And I think the one in Texline. We always joke that Dumass is the housefly capital of the world! The Allsups is full of em!!! They have a lil’ old lady hired at the Whataburger in Dumass and that’s all she does is swat flies!!!
Subway as a last resort.

For about 20 years on our non stop runs from the west coast to a lease in Cross Plains TX there were many stops at the WhataBurger, a great burger for when you are on the run..
Originally Posted by smokepole
Burger chain here. Great burgers, and great fries. Sweet potato fries too.

Dayom, we need some of those here, Smoke.
Used to love Whataburger when I lived in New Mexico. Not aware of any here in Pittsburgh. Primanti Brothers is the ultimate road sandwich here.
Been to them! And I think the one in Texline. We always joke that Dumass is the housefly capital of the world! The Allsups is full of em!!! They have a lil’ old lady hired at the Whataburger in Dumass and that’s all she does is swat flies!!!
Yep. I’ve been to the Texline Allsup’s a bunch too. There’s a concrete bridge/overpass comin’ into Texline from the west on 87, and I swear that thing has been completely choked up with tumbleweeds more than once when I’ve come through there...I had to get out and throw a bunch of em’ over the side just so I could get through...!
Ain't read alla the responses.

Ya gotta get outta your ride, but Quiktrips, especially the QT's with a grill, serve some badass food 24/7.

The simple grilled cheese sammich is amazin, get it if ya ever get the chance.
I have been to some QT’s in the Scottsdale, Tempe, and Mesa area and they’re some pretty flippin’ nice convenience stores.
I have been to some QT’s in the Scottsdale, Tempe, and Mesa area and they’re some pretty flippin’ nice convenience stores.

Next best thing to Buccee's, but there's more of em.
Originally Posted by Fubarski
The Buc-ee's that I’ve been to in Texas are truly top-notch.
Originally Posted by Fubarski

Buccees what is really good, Fu.
I mean, $6 for a sandwich and crap, it better be good.
The Buc-ee's (thanks Ant) advantage is that they got some of everything.

Just go in and see what looks or smells good.

You can go healthy, with fruit cups, or kill yourself with carbs with the pierogies.

I usually get the breakfast burrito,, not the big one, and they make it in front of you.

Fresh fudge, if ya wanna go crazy.

Jerky out the wazoo, my favorite is the sweet n spicy, like Jack link usta make.

Gas is always competitive, and it's the best place in the world for ice, .99 10 pounds, $1.99 for 20.
RC, I’ve eaten at that Sterling City DQ MANY times !
It’s one of the better ones.

I musta rolled through when they were having a bad day last summer🙄. But then it was a Friday afternoon and everybody In the whole county and their kids were there.
On the road again....

[Linked Image from i37.photobucket.com]
There ya’ go. Steak in a baggie. Eatin’ it like a big cookie.
Good energy....

Gotta throw in some trail mix.

That’s no schitt Bob! Every time I stop at that Allsup’s the on the way to Colorado I’m like WTF did all the flies come from!!!
Originally Posted by SamOlson
On the road again....

I’ve done that before too Sam.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
On the road again....

This and burgers and deer sausage, maybe a few hard boiled eggs and a few ziplocs of nuts, almonds, pistachios, mixed, etc.
© 24hourcampfire