Home
Posted By: 284LUVR Mouse poison ??? - 05/20/20
I have several bait stations scattered about with "name brand' traps and doesn't seem to be very effective.
Sumbitches are gainin' weight chowin' down on the "poison".

WTH ???????
Posted By: Redneck Re: Mouse poison ??? - 05/20/20
This last year I have been using Top Gun Bait Blocks - and all I've found is dead mice... It seems to work quite well.

Link here: https://www.amazon.com/Eaton-Rodenticide-Bromethalin-Neurological-Stop-Feed/dp/B07P8ZBCHQ
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: Mouse poison ??? - 05/20/20
I use d-con, works fine.
Posted By: hanco Re: Mouse poison ??? - 05/20/20
D-con works
Posted By: shaman Re: Mouse poison ??? - 05/20/20
I've been using Tomcat for a few years after switching from D-Con. Mice are at a minimum. However, I can tell you that I had help.

[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]

Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Mouse poison ??? - 05/20/20
Great pic, Shaman, Hiding in plain sight.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Mouse poison ??? - 05/20/20
Originally Posted by Redneck
This last year I have been using Top Gun Bait Blocks - and all I've found is dead mice... It seems to work quite well.

Link here: https://www.amazon.com/Eaton-Rodenticide-Bromethalin-Neurological-Stop-Feed/dp/B07P8ZBCHQ

Tomcat has the same % of bromethallin and is more readily available here.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Mouse poison ??? - 05/20/20

Tom Cat here

works well
Posted By: aalf Re: Mouse poison ??? - 05/20/20
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
I have several bait stations scattered about with "name brand' traps and doesn't seem to be very effective.
Sumbitches are gainin' weight chowin' down on the "poison".

Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: Mouse poison ??? - 05/20/20
One meal kills, brodifacoum. Jaguar.

Wayyy more kickass than Decon ever hoped to be.

https://www.motomco.com/motomco/product/us/pest-control/jaguar-rodenticide-pelleted-bait
Tomcat takes multiple meals to kill. Jaguar is the chit!
Q the guy with a bucket of water...
Posted By: EdM Re: Mouse poison ??? - 05/20/20
I sure miss D-Con pellets. They worked well for me.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Mouse poison ??? - 05/20/20

Tom Cat squares here as well.

One word of warning —. Dog’s will eat them, and one or more can kill a dog pretty easily...

I keep them locked away, and only put them where a dog can’t ever ever ever get at them.... (do not put them in the garage where a dog might get locked in for a while and start looking for something to eat -you won’t have a dog.
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Mouse poison ??? - 05/20/20
Brew up a vat of mash for a moonshine still- - - - -every mouse, rat, squirrel, and even a racoon or two in the neighborhood will show up to take a terminal swim. They float after a couple of days, and it makes it easier to skim them off the top instead of dipping them off the bottom with a long-handled net. It doesn't seem to affect the flavor of the booze either way!
Jerry
Posted By: CWT Re: Mouse poison ??? - 05/20/20
Tomcat works very well.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Mouse poison ??? - 05/20/20
They are strangely attracted to my oil change pan.

I got one of them stainless buffet troughs they serve fried chicken in at the Golden Corral.

I just leave the spent oil in it and they find. LOL

LaBrea Tar Pits for mice. 😃😃

See them in there clinging to their dead kamarads. No more faces, look like those blobs of battered sweet n sour pork at the china king.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Mouse poison ??? - 05/20/20
You pansies that don’t change your own oil are missing out.
Posted By: miguel Re: Mouse poison ??? - 05/20/20
Mix up a batch of dry hydraulic cement with cornmeal. They don’t have to ingest much of the cement to be fatal, plus their carcasses aren’t poisonous to non target animals.
Posted By: CraigD Re: Mouse poison ??? - 05/20/20
I have been using a product called ProZap. It is a first kill poison that won't harm the critters that eat the dead mouse or vole. It's available in 1# to 55-gallon barrels. A local feed lot turned me on to this product - they get the 55-gallon drums.

I buy the 8# container and it is usually good for two years. No issues with pets eating the dead critters...
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: Mouse poison ??? - 05/20/20
All the stuff listed. Diphacinone is another which I have used successfully in the past. But it is not a single feeding toxin.

Google 2'nd generation rodenticides for more information.

The simple answer is, I also use "Tomcat" and their branded bait stations around and under the house. I climb into the crawl space and rebait about once a year. We have not gotten a mouse into the house in years, since I set up the bait stations.

"Tomcat" products are available from Tractor Supply and many other farm and suburban outlet stores.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Mouse poison ??? - 05/20/20
One More Bite II.

get it at the feed store.

Corn yellow colored bricks.

I’ve found nice dead within feet.

Buddy of mine used some in his boat. Found a big squirrel sized swamp rat dead in it. Bet it took a few more bites for him.
Originally Posted by CraigD
I have been using a product called ProZap. It is a first kill poison that won't harm the critters that eat the dead mouse or vole. It's available in 1# to 55-gallon barrels. A local feed lot turned me on to this product - they get the 55-gallon drums.

I buy the 8# container and it is usually good for two years. No issues with pets eating the dead critters...

Interesting, zinc phosphide.... Turns to phosine gas in presence if stomach acid. Acute poison. Not an anti-coagulant. Inexpensive.

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/archive/znptech.html
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Mouse poison ??? - 05/20/20
I always thought it was more fun to trap them. Mice are easy.
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Mouse poison ??? - 05/20/20
+1 In the past I've had good luck with D-Con, but this year It's been nothing but old fashioned mouse traps baited with peanut butter. Works like a charm. Only good mouse is a dead mouse.
Posted By: gwrench Re: Mouse poison ??? - 05/20/20
Havoc

https://www.amazon.com/Havoc-116372-Rodenticide-Pallets-Brodifacoum/dp/B004WUP03G

Another smart guy. Use the chit that kills with one dose.
Posted By: ihookem Re: Mouse poison ??? - 05/21/20
I think I found the best bet yet, at least up at my cabin. I just take a 5 gal. bucket with a few inches of old anti freeze with some peanut butter stuck half way down the bucket next to the wood pile. I can leave it in the cabin so the coons don't tip over the bucket. The antifreeze keeps them from stinking too. I got 5 over the winter as of April 25th. I came back on May 16th and not one mouse third anywhere in the cabin and none in the bucket. I prefer to leave it outside but the coons smell the peanut butter.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Mouse poison ??? - 05/21/20
I killed a cat one time with some Talon G toss packs.

When was I still in the exterm business. Wasn’t pretty. Guessing he ate straight from the pack.

Like the poor fugger was tripping straight balls bad acid trip. Chit cause the brain stem to swell.

Won’t ever put poison around our place any more.

I do exclusion, and trapping and the tar pit lol

Got a Rubbermaid tote in my walk in cooler all year long. It’s a mouse slayin mfer. Had on in there last week. Gawd it was ripe. Had to dish him with two fly swaggers. 🤮🤮🤮🤮
Posted By: Henryseale Re: Mouse poison ??? - 05/21/20
Was out in the garage late last night. Had earlier cleaned a pistol and was reloading some ammo. Caught some slight movement out of the corner of my eye towards a cluttered area. Me and a sizeable rat had a staring down contest. I thought about reaching for my 9mm there on the workbench, but thought better of it. Neighbors would get curious, don't need a hole in the garage wall, have to explain to wife and M-I-L, etc., etc. Would be even worse in the unlikely event that I should miss or need multiple shots. Set a rat trap for him before going to bed. SOB tripped it and took the bait/midnight snack, probably laughing at me with all his buddies. Gonna reset it again tonight. I hate to use poison because if you don't find the body pretty quick, they stink up the place. They seldom die in convenient places. I hate rats.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Mouse poison ??? - 05/21/20
[Every once in a while I'd go on a poor man's safari. Every so often I'd spot a mouse in the garage while messing with something at the work bench. Knowing his "range" I'd set out an apple slice as my stalking goat. Then settle back in my "blind" with a pellet gun. Doesn't take long for the curious little beasties to reappear. Would be fun for a kid but does require a little patience.
Posted By: jaytee Re: Mouse poison ??? - 05/21/20
I used to use a product called Hawk I believe, came in packets filled with blue kernels. Worked great but I cant find it anymore. Started using these yellow brick looking things and they seem to work. I've found a couple mice wandering around like they're drunk so I'm guessing they're 'bout to kill over. I sped up the process!
Posted By: slumlord Re: Mouse poison ??? - 05/21/20
Uncle’s Keeshond was running around one morning while were prepping the route trucks.

Two of us were dividing some Diphacinone bait squares into keylock stations. Turn your head for one minute and that dog snatched a candy bar sized rod of “Di Blox” lol

Dog chewed it up really quick and swallowed it. It was green-apple flavored. Won’t lie, it smelled pretty good. Which is why it was meant for lock stations and shy rodents.

I got a bottle of peroxide and squeezed lavaged that whole pint down his piehole.

1 minute later, the gyrations started. 😃🤮🤮🤮

Looked like green bread dough coming out of dump truck.
Posted By: fburgtx Re: Mouse poison ??? - 05/21/20
Final (brodifacoum). The stuff has a ton of grain in the blocks, so rodents love it.

Google “Rat Island” (Hawadax Island in Alaska). Govt air dropped tons of brodifacoum on the idlsnd and cleared the entire island of rats.,
© 24hourcampfire