Home
Posted By: ltppowell Speaking of Fishing - 05/22/20
There have been at least ten times more people fishing around here than normal because of the "plandemic". Is that everywhere?
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Speaking of Fishing - 05/22/20
They closed down Lake Mead and Lake Mojave and the State Parks during one of the most productive fishing periods of the year so not much fishing was going on here. They just opened things back up on the 15th but I haven't been able to clear the schedule for a fish trip yet. Hopefully this next week I'll be able to hit the water if the wind cooperates.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Speaking of Fishing - 05/22/20
Don't know about fishing but there's been a hell of a lot more people out in the state forests hiking, walking their dogs, bird watching and whatnot than usual. Normally don't run into anybody out there other than during hunting season.
Posted By: logger Re: Speaking of Fishing - 05/22/20
We experienced the same thing in 2008/9. Lot of unemployed people went fishing back then. Today, there are a lot of unemployed people and lot of them have more money than those back in 2008/9.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Speaking of Fishing - 05/22/20
Originally Posted by ltppowell
There have been at least ten times more people fishing around here than normal because of the "plandemic". Is that everywhere?
That's the way it is here. It sure seems like most of the fish are being kept too. I wonder what the impact will be.
Posted By: Lennie Re: Speaking of Fishing - 05/22/20
Went spring Chinook salmon fishing yesterday. 4 keepers in the boat. It was raining side ways and gusting winds. Everyone quit fishing very early and went home....... except for us. Thank goodness for fair weather fisherman
Posted By: krp Re: Speaking of Fishing - 05/22/20
Lakes were locked until this last week, fishing at a few farther lakes caused crowds. Record number of campers the last month up on the rim, people everywhere, dispersed camping only as the campgrounds were closed.

Kent
Posted By: mohave_mauler1 Re: Speaking of Fishing - 05/22/20
Fishing on the colorado river between lake mohave all the way to Havasu as been very busy, even before the 15th. Boat traffic is holiday weekend busy every weekend and some week days.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: Speaking of Fishing - 05/22/20
Glad I took a second look. Initially I read the title wrong - I inadvertently replaced the "h" with a "t" in the word fishing.
Posted By: fester Re: Speaking of Fishing - 05/22/20
Shad are running here, along with striper.

Combat fishing on the feather....

Sac river is good for striper.
Posted By: Yukoner Re: Speaking of Fishing - 05/22/20
Lake trout are in shallow water up here right now.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

One other boat in sight. smile

Ted
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Speaking of Fishing - 05/22/20

I had a conference call with my peers all across the country yesterday. This was a topic of discussion. Along the East coast boating and fishing activity seems much higher than normal. On the West side, not as noticeable. Florida said they are seeing "4th of July" type crowds on the water.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Speaking of Fishing - 05/22/20
beaches here mon and tues looked like spring break. boat activity looked about normal.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Speaking of Fishing - 05/22/20
Good ol' boys with cabin fever, needing some time outdoors.

Glad they are fishing. But I bet they'd rather be working again.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Speaking of Fishing - 05/22/20
Don't know, don't go to lakes around here, the kung flu flu fugged my nilgai hunt for this year, I was going to stop by and drop your reel off. crazy
Posted By: TheKid Re: Speaking of Fishing - 05/22/20
The ramps have been busy here. Sometimes it was tough to find a spot to fish from the bank. But with stuff reopened mostly I’ve noticed a thinning of the crowds. I just wish they’d have taken all their trash with them instead of leaving it on the banks but that’s normal around here.
Posted By: fuzzytail Re: Speaking of Fishing - 05/22/20
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

I had a conference call with my peers all across the country yesterday. This was a topic of discussion. Along the East coast boating and fishing activity seems much higher than normal. On the West side, not as noticeable. Florida said they are seeing "4th of July" type crowds on the water.

Originally Posted by stxhunter
beaches here mon and tues looked like spring break. boat activity looked about normal.
Same here around Morehead City. Boats and people pulled up on sand bars and fishing...
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Speaking of Fishing - 05/22/20
Some of the big ponds here next to the south side of Lake Ontario see lots of shore fishing this time of year. Looks about normal except there are now signs up reminding folks about social distancing. Starting to see Lake Ontario charters getting back into the swing of things, too.
Posted By: DMc Re: Speaking of Fishing - 05/22/20
Thanks ~ Now I'm hungry for fish!

Actually I could eat fish 3-4 nights a week.
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Speaking of Fishing - 05/22/20
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Those poor souls, wishing they were at work. I'm sitting at a lake in SD as I type this. There is no one out. I'm beside the marina even, zero action in there.
Posted By: Bama_Rick Re: Speaking of Fishing - 05/22/20
Our marine resource guys (fish cops) were on the news last week talking about unusually large numbers of undersize amberjack and snapper being caught out of season. Big problem with out of state anglers, mostly TX and LA.

I went to my favorite beach the morning they reopened. Usually 1 or 2 trucks there at the time of morning. It was packed. I left, went to a private beach and got my Pompano limit in 30 minutes.

A guy I grew up around has a local live bait shop. Every morning I go by there early, there is a line of guys with buckets wrapped around the building. He can't keep live bait.

This weekend is gonna be real bad, with the holiday and our snapper season opener. I'm headed north a little later today. Gonna go hang at my buddies river camp for the weekend. Beautiful white sandbars, without the crowds. Just have to settle with bass, bream and catfish.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Speaking of Fishing - 05/22/20
glad our snapper season in state waters is open yr round.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Speaking of Fishing - 05/22/20
Originally Posted by stxhunter
glad our snapper season in state waters is open yr round.

I had pan fried red snapper last night, way better than deep fried.
Posted By: Torqued Re: Speaking of Fishing - 05/22/20
There is no shortage of citiots draging boats to Truman Lake and LOZ. Headed to Roaring River to catch a carp in a suit this weekend. Hope it's not to busy down there.
Posted By: deflave Re: Speaking of Fishing - 05/22/20
Yes.
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Speaking of Fishing - 05/22/20

Memorial Day Weekend always results in a boat ramp goat rope ....

But yes - I went to hillsdale lake in KS with a friend for Crappie on Thursday this week and there were more boats than usual for a week day.

... I was enjoying the light traffic the pandemic brought... didn’t think it would push more guys to the lake but is sure did
Posted By: RNF Re: Speaking of Fishing - 05/22/20
Lakes have been crazy around here. Boat ramp parking lots are full with vehicles parked on both sides of the roads leading to the ramps.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Speaking of Fishing - 05/22/20
Was out early on a Saturday morning a week or two ago, alone in my little 15’ Gregor dragging some plugs for Saugeye. The lake I troll has two sunken islands, pretty much known to everyone around as good trolling spots for fish on the transition lines. All morning there were like 6 boats making passes over one island and I stayed a half mile away thinking there were plenty of rigs out there to cover it. When they all left but one I eased over to make a pass or two. Some fat slob in an old beater 1991 bass boat starts cussing me for fishing “his” spot. Always one dickbreath out there.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Speaking of Fishing - 05/22/20

Yeah anybody'd rather be working than fishing. NOT.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: Speaking of Fishing - 05/22/20
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Yeah anybody'd rather be working than fishing. NOT.

Shocked you don't get it.
Posted By: fester Re: Speaking of Fishing - 05/22/20
Originally Posted by Yukoner
Lake trout are in shallow water up here right now.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

One other boat in sight. smile

Ted

Nice fish! 👍🏻
Posted By: knivesforme Re: Speaking of Fishing - 05/27/20
That is a beauty Ted. One other boat in sight sounds good too!
© 24hourcampfire