Home
Posted By: HilhamHawk Damned Dogs - 05/24/20
My male wiener dog disappeared yesterday about 6PM, and I'm kinda embarassed to admit that I've been pretty tore up about it. I searched the woods around the house until dark last night, and was back at it 1st thing this morning. I had about decided that a fricking coyote must have gotten him, and have been plotting wholesale revenge on the whole species. Well.......... my wife went to leave in her Explorer a few minutes ago, and guess who popped up between the seats? I figured out that he snuck in there yesterday. We went to town in my vehicle, and I took a carseat out of mine and put it in hers. Damned dogs............

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Damned Dogs - 05/24/20
Awwwwwww.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Damned Dogs - 05/24/20
Thank goodness you found him

Supposed to get pretty warm here in Tn
Posted By: sactoller Re: Damned Dogs - 05/24/20
I'm glad this had a happy ending!

Put a collar with a small cat bell, then you can hear the little bugger.
Posted By: johnw Re: Damned Dogs - 05/24/20
Most dog owners, and absolutely every beagle owner should invest in a gps locator collar.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Damned Dogs - 05/24/20
Glad ya found houdini !!!
And of course he aint gonna bark ta let ya know where he was, even though yelling his name for gawd knows how long.

He won his game he was playing.
LOL!!
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Damned Dogs - 05/24/20
Just have him swallow a cell phone, then dial him up when you want to find him.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Damned Dogs - 05/24/20
Glad you found it!

Also glad it wasn't the heat of the day mid-August.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Damned Dogs - 05/24/20
Got goat bells on my labs. lol

That saved my dogs from a false accusation by a neighbor. To her all dogs are ‘pit bulls’ JFC, move back to town.

I told the deputy to ask her if the dogs in her yard sounded like Santa’s reindeer....lol he asked...nope...ok then GFY.

My labs gave up running deer, the whitetails are gone way before the dogs even see them. 😀
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Damned Dogs - 05/24/20
Originally Posted by johnw
Most dog owners, and absolutely every beagle owner should invest in a gps locator collar.

I own a beagle. You are correct, sir.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Damned Dogs - 05/24/20
Got home one day from work and one of my heelers was missing, couldn’t find her anywhere.

Turns out I had left a car door open for a moment in the morning rush, just my good fortune it weren’t hot that day.
Posted By: HilhamHawk Re: Damned Dogs - 05/24/20
Originally Posted by renegade50
And of course he aint gonna bark ta let ya know where he was, even though yelling his name for gawd knows how long.

LOL!!

He knows he is not supposed to be in her vehicle, which is why I suspect he was quiet.............
Posted By: las Re: Damned Dogs - 05/24/20
Sounds familiar...... smile

Especially the angst. A number of times over.

We were out camping with the boys, the Lab, and our first weiner. I went aout a half mile way to check a hunting spot, and I think the wiener followed me from camp. This was about 7. He showed up again about 4a.m., spooked.

I think he spent most of the night under a log or rock keeping away frim something. For the next 10 years, he didn't do that anymore - he stayed with mama and the kids. smile

Unless there was a rabbit or a caribou to track after... He would track us down later.

We currently have another, about 14 months old now. Hawks, owls, eagles, coyotes, wolves, lynx, bears, and last week a river otter.

Surprised the hell out of me the first one lasted over 11 years, only to die from bad cheese (I think).
Posted By: 1minute Re: Damned Dogs - 05/24/20
Coworker 35 miles away. If one is there and leaves window, door, or horse trailer slide open, he will likely find her stock dog when he gets the rig back to HQ. Adds another 1 1/2 hours to the day when the discovery happens at 5:00 PM on a Friday. I hate that dog.

Another story: Moving a herd about 15 miles and one of the dogs quit us and went back to the stock truck where it made into the comforts of the cab. Half way through the drive, a helping neighbor volunteered to go back and bring the rig on to the other end making for a one-trip for the crew and horses. When he got to the truck the dog would not let him in the rig. Had to ride back and have the owner go for the rig. A long day for his poor horse.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Damned Dogs - 05/24/20
I miss my dog.
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
Originally Posted by renegade50

LOL!!

He knows he is not supposed to be in her vehicle, which is why I suspect he was quiet.............

What kind of monster are you married to - not allowing the dog in the car? smile.

The Lab-mix supervises from the center console, but only at our insistance, or she would be "helping" also.

Posted By: Johnny Dollar Re: Damned Dogs - 05/24/20
One day I was working in the machine shed and our mini doxie was nosing around the shop. My wife came home from shopping and turned up the lane to go into the garage. The pup saw her and ran up the lane between the tires and trotted right under the p/u for about a 100' and into the garage. I screamed myself hoarse but neither one paid a bit of attention to me. My heart still races when I think about that... Damned Dogs is right!!

Our first doxie, 40+ years ago, was crazy to hunt anything and everything. She killed and brought to the house every thing from toads and snakes to a tom cat that was half again her size. We had lots of coyotes in the sandhills near our place and one day she disappeared and it was a long time before I found her body... now I do kill every coyote I can.

I am glad you weiner pup was alright!
FIL's first doxie snuck into the car one day in eastern Montana, many decades ago. Gets hot there! She didn't make it.
Posted By: Johnny Dollar Re: Damned Dogs - 05/24/20
Originally Posted by 1minute
Coworker 35 miles away. If one is there and leaves window, door, or horse trailer slide open, he will likely find her stock dog when he gets the rig back to HQ. Adds another 1 1/2 hours to the day when the discovery happens at 5:00 PM on a Friday. I hate that dog.

Another story: Moving a herd about 15 miles and one of the dogs quit us and went back to the stock truck where it made into the comforts of the cab. Half way through the drive, a helping neighbor volunteered to go back and bring the rig on to the other end making for a one-trip for the crew and horses. When he got to the truck the dog would not let him in the rig. Had to ride back and have the owner go for the rig. A long day for his poor horse.

Got out of the pickup one day to close a gate and just left the cab door open. Went to get back in and a blue heeler was in the cab and lunged at me, snapping and barking. Just about scared the piddle out of me. I tried to get ahold of him but he was having nothing to do with that. I had the wire stretcher in the box and dug that out. I opened the passenger side door and hooked it into his collar and drug him out still snapping and growling. He hit the dirt and took off running. No idea who his owner was.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Damned Dogs - 05/24/20
I trained my Lab to return home by giving him a Milk Bone with peanut butter on it when he returns. He's got a pretty big area that he roams but he stays in the immediate vicinity,..maybe a 400 yard radius of the house,..most of it a big field out behind my place. He checks out his route for about an hour then he's ready for his Milk Bone and a nap on his couch.

He makes his loop about twice a day.
Posted By: hungryhollow Re: Damned Dogs - 05/24/20
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

I tried the locator collar on my beagle. I knew what direction to run after him but I often couldn't catch him. A locator/ shocker collar turned my demon dog into an angel.
Originally Posted by las
What kind of monster are you married to - not allowing the dog in the car? smile.

Yeah, it gives me pause sometimes........... but her other virtues make up for it. Her Explorer still looks brand new, so I guess she has a point. MY vehicle on the other hand.........doesn't.
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Damned Dogs - 05/24/20
Glad it all worked out.
I guess I didn't realize how dated that 1st photo was. It's several years old. Since then, he's gotten fixed, and is going gray, so is like most of us in that there's more there than used to be.......... He's almost 10 years old now.

Posted By: 12344mag Re: Damned Dogs - 05/24/20
Glad you found the Stubby stowaway.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Damned Dogs - 05/24/20
One time 15 years back, me and my Ex was about to leave on a ten day traveling/camping trip. We had three dogs, only one would be coming with us and we were rolling out that night. Just after dark we took all three dogs to a local park for a last walk, came back home, continued to pack. Twenty minutes later I noticed the dog in my avatar was missing.

What had happened was because of where we live we always fixed the cars so the inside lights would NOT come on when a door was opened. Leaving the park, both of us getting in, dogs jumped in the car in the dark, we just hadn’t counted how many.

OH CRAP! Busy multi lane highway and highway underpass intersection between us and the park, dark dog, nighttime eek

We drive out looking and there she was, one block away, head and tail down, fast trot towards home. She thought she was in trouble.
Posted By: johnw Re: Damned Dogs - 05/24/20
Originally Posted by hungryhollow
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

I tried the locator collar on my beagle. I knew what direction to run after him but I often couldn't catch him. A locator/ shocker collar turned my demon dog into an angel.

My wife's eyes roll audibly when she hears me call our beagle "Angel Puppy"...
I talked to a guy a couple years ago who had a story....

He was at the local Safeway, with his Lab chained in the back of the truck. Came out, the dog was gone, chain and all. No way by accident.

About a year later he was at Safeway, and came out to find his dog sitting in the back if his truck. Grinning. The dog and he were both ecstatic!

Goes to town now, dog is locked inside the cab.

I picked up a dog on the main street thru town one time. Bouchane??? Something like that- poodle looking. Looked a lot like Birdy's black hairy mutt. 30 below and the dog was frantically trying to stop someone, anyone, out in the middle of the road . I'm the sucker....

He stunk, Took him home, gave him a bath, wormed him, fed him up. Took me several weeks to find another sucker- a co-worker. I always knew when Tyler had done something, She would come in and greet me wilth "Damn you, **** ", then proceed to inform me of the dog's misdeed.

One day she came in laughing.

Tyler had gone out about 2 am, 10 below, would not come in, and she sent her hubby (big, oil patch worker!) out after him, wearing only his boots.

So he is calling "Tyler", until she informs him that the dog only comes to "Sweetie".

She said it's a damned good thing they don't have close neighbors.....
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Damned Dogs - 05/24/20
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I trained my Lab to return home by giving him a Milk Bone with peanut butter on it when he returns. He's got a pretty big area that he roams but he stays in the immediate vicinity,..maybe a 400 yard radius of the house,..most of it a big field out behind my place. He checks out his route for about an hour then he's ready for his Milk Bone and a nap on his couch.

I used to give my lab a milkbone when he returned from his pee/poop

Switched to potato chips and he went from a 6 minute dawg to a 3 1/2 minute dawg
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: Damned Dogs - 05/24/20
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Originally Posted by Bristoe

I used to give my lab a milkbone when he returned from his pee/poop

Switched to potato chips and he went from a 6 minute dawg to a 3 1/2 minute dawg

Friend of mine drove for UPS for 30+ years. Always kept Milk Bones in his pocket for dogs on his route. Only got dog bit once in 30+ years of delivering packages.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Damned Dogs - 05/24/20
My male wiener dog disappeared yesterday about 6PM, and I'm kinda embarassed to admit that I've been pretty tore up about it. I searched the woods around the house until dark last night, and was back at it 1st thing this morning. I had about decided that a fricking coyote must have gotten him, and have been plotting wholesale revenge on the whole species. Well.......... my wife went to leave in her Explorer a few minutes ago, and guess who popped up between the seats? I figured out that he snuck in there yesterday. We went to town in my vehicle, and I took a carseat out of mine and put it in hers. Damned dogs............

Great photo!!! Wiener Dogs are cool !
Posted By: logcutter Re: Damned Dogs - 05/24/20
All dogs are cool..I would not hesitate to go to for my dog...I am glad you found your pup...

Posted By: JeffyD Re: Damned Dogs - 05/24/20
Did he leave any "presents" for your wife in her Explorer? That'd be a long time for him to hold it.
Originally Posted by JeffyD
Did he leave any "presents" for your wife in her Explorer? That'd be a long time for him to hold it.

Not a drop or nugget to be found. Surprised us all.
Posted By: AZmark Re: Damned Dogs - 05/25/20
Glad to hear from people that care for their animals like all of you that have posted stories. Here's pics of my Munsterlander at work. Spoiled rotten but thats ok.

Attached picture HeddieGrouse2.jpg
Attached picture HeddieRetrieve2.jpg
Posted By: duck911 Re: Damned Dogs - 05/25/20
My male wiener dog disappeared yesterday about 6PM, and I'm kinda embarassed to admit that I've been pretty tore up about it.

Not sure why you are embarrassed. If you weren't worried I'd wonder. (There are a couple of dog haters on here and they all show it every day. whistle)

Glad to hear you found the pup!

Dachshunds can be great dogs - it sounds like you have a good one. My wife and I cried when our's, Ginger, died of heart failure a number of years ago.

Glad it worked out.
Posted By: erikj Re: Damned Dogs - 05/25/20
We spoil our surviving wiener dog, but they are ninjas. They seem to disappear behind a blade of grass. Glad yer ninja reappeared.
Posted By: Morewood Re: Damned Dogs - 05/25/20
When camping with my young family we once accidentally left the family miniature doxie on a remote mountain top skid trail where'd taken a break.

It was hours before anybody noticed she was gone. Drove back up to that spot and there she was. Shivering with actual dog tears streaming down her long face.
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: Damned Dogs - 05/25/20
Glad you found your buddy, but I'd suggest you go ahead with your coyote cleansing. They didn't become any less of a hazard just because you got lucky this time. ;-{>8
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Damned Dogs - 05/25/20

Here is a mangy mutt if ever I saw one. Daisy the Beagle.

If you ever heard that a Beagle will drive you crazy, then you heard right.

Posted By: RAS Re: Damned Dogs - 05/25/20
Yeah, I can’t stand my dog either.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: HilhamHawk Re: Damned Dogs - 05/25/20
Originally Posted by duck911
My male wiener dog disappeared yesterday about 6PM, and I'm kinda embarassed to admit that I've been pretty tore up about it.

Not sure why you are embarrassed. If you weren't worried I'd wonder. (There are a couple of dog haters on here and they all show it every day. whistle)

Glad to hear you found the pup!

Dachshunds can be great dogs - it sounds like you have a good one. My wife and I cried when our's, Ginger, died of heart failure a number of years ago.

Glad it worked out.

Yeah, he's number 1 dog, but not the only dog...........

Posted By: HilhamHawk Re: Damned Dogs - 05/25/20
This is his daughter, and I'm pretty fond of her, too............... All 7.5 pounds of Wiener attitude..............

© 24hourcampfire