Home
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/11/opinion/a-small-towns-sacrifice-to-vietnam.html
Thank you for sharing They were brave men giving their all for their country.
phew......
I wasn't born until 1972 so my thoughts or opinions don't mean crap, but the more I learn about that war it just seems like a waste.....
Originally Posted by helidriver72
phew......
I wasn't born until 1972 so my thoughts or opinions don't mean crap, but the more I learn about that war it just seems like a waste.....

This is a very interesting video of interviews with Vietnam veterans. "Vietnam Remembered."

L.W.
phew......

You are absolutely correct. Just like dealing with individuals trying to harm you or yours that have to be stopped right now. There are nations, organizations that would bring harm to this nation and it'd people that need to be deterred and or destroyed. I would like police action wars like Korea and the SEATO to cause the war in South VN forever stopped unless our military has the orders to do whatever is required, using whatever weapon is the most expedient with the least number of casualties to our troops. You will notice that Germany and Japan both have played nicely the past 75 years
phew......

You are absolutely correct. Just like dealing with individuals trying to harm you or yours that have to be stopped right now. There are nations, organizations that would bring harm to this nation and it'd people that need to be deterred and or destroyed. I would like police action wars like Korea and the SEATO to cause the war in South VN forever stopped unless our military has the orders to do whatever is required, using whatever weapon is the most expedient with the least number of casualties to our troops. You will notice that Germany and Japan both have played nicely the past 75 years
Six gone out of nine, is a hell of a shot for a small close knit community. Six times those green sedans had to drive through that little town to deliver that news.

I bet if you looked, Morenci still sends plenty to the service every year. tough town, tough people.

There is a MMA fighter from Morenci right now, Gaithje.

Sycamore
Thanks for posting, damn shame, tough times for such a small town. Semper Fi
I can't read the OP article without subscribing but here's another article about them: MORENCI MARINES
tag
phew......
I don't think so.

The war put the brakes on Communist expansion, limiting it to the South. We won every major battle we fought and we were on the cusp of absolutely defeating NVN when we pulled out.
Was the war mismanaged? Yes. Did our press do more damage than the Commies? Yes. Could the war have been finished much sooner with fewer casualties? Yes.

Was it, given the interference from the press and the mismanagement by our leaders, worth it? I'll let you decide.

https://ashbrook.org/publications/oped-owens-99-vietnamwar/
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I can't read the OP article without subscribing but here's another article about them: MORENCI MARINES

the first article is written by the history prof mentioned in your article:

“It’s very representative,” said Arizona State University history professor Kyle Longley, who spent five years writing a book on the Morenci Nine, "The Morenci Marines: A Tale of Small Town America and the Vietnam War." “Not just the men, which are very important, but it’s also a community."
© 24hourcampfire