Home
Posted By: gunzo I hate being this way - 05/25/20
A bigchickenpussybaby. I have a phobia, a totally irrational fear of snakes.

Getting the zero turn mower ready yesterday, gas, checking fluids topping off hyd. tanks & just about finished. I had scanned the shop floor & rafters when I first went in the shop, all clear.

Put the caps back on tanks & right there in front of my face, sticking it's tongue out & looking at me like, whats up? The sumbuck wasn't in the rafters, it was in my feakin mower.

After the usual girly scream & the 5-10 foot run when I can usually stop myself, the vision of the encounter reappeared, my distance had doubled. Then I realized it was still in my mower & screamed just a little more. I had a 317 Smith w/shot shells in my pocket, but that just didn't compute until after the 30' dash.

Wife came to the end of the porch & I thought she ask; what is it.
Totally irrational now, I said; WTF do you think it is.
She said; I ask where is it, you smartass.
It's in my freakin mower, I said, & wanted to cry. What the hell am I gonna do now.

I'll save the snake lovers the details of the rodeo that followed, but in the end, it didn't go well for the critter. Tools were a S&W & a frog gig with a 12 foot pole, as I wouldn't touch a snake with a 10' one.

I've tried to man up & get used to the things, but so far I haven't been successful, my virgina always come into play. My phobia isn't totally life controlling as I usually deal with it & don't live in constant fear when I think I'm in their territory. But the sudden encounters take over before I can gain any common sense of the situation & I just loose it. crazy

Just thought I'd vent, & yes, the yard still needs mowing.
Posted By: ironbender Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20
LOL!
How do you even leave the house? 😳
Posted By: Violator22 Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20
Originally Posted by ironbender
LOL!

Same way I do with Spiders Mike. laugh
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20
I can't blame ya. I have a fear like that of rats and mice. No idea why but i just get the hell away fast and then wonder why later.
Fire is the great cleanser. laugh
Posted By: SKane Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20
Originally Posted by gunzo

You are not alone. blush
Posted By: Terryk Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20
In the 1980s I lived in Pittsburgh. I went to work that day on second shift and told my buddy how I pull started the mower and half a snake flew out. Amazingly he did the same thing that day about 10 miles away. He thought his wife told me. He was really stunned. Crazy coincidence. Never started a mower on one since.
Posted By: jmdriver Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20
I can be around most things and be fine, bats, mice, spiders, sister-in-law’s, etc. I don’t do snakes big or small especially when they are a surprise.
Posted By: Dryfly24 Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20
Originally Posted by Violator22
LOL!

^this. Hate those fuggers worse than taxes...
Posted By: 5sdad Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20
Nothing at all irrational about that.
Posted By: slumlord Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20
You only have to have 2% genetic negro to possess the notorious innate fear of serpents

😃

Is there anyone named “Nate” in your family tree?
Originally Posted by Dryfly24
LOL!

^this. Hate those fuggers worse than taxes...

Damn fuggin Skippy i hate them fuggers!
Originally Posted by slumlord
You only have to have 2% genetic negro to possess the notorious innate fear of serpents

😃

Shake My family tree and there is some sickle cell in it, and I am blond haired blue eyed, so knock that [bleep] off.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20
Evidently copperhead bites hurt pretty bad, pretty quickly.

This girl got bitten a few days ago. It's a wonder she wasn't struck multiple times...

Posted By: gunzo Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20

😃

LOL
Posted By: joken2 Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20

Wife had been seeing one from out the window slithering around beneath her bird feeders in our backyard and was afraid to go outside to refill the feeders. Day before yesterday I was able to catch it before it saw me and pin it down to the ground with a tomato stake and snatch it up holding it right behind it's head. Was just a harmless garter snake but they can and will bite and hold on. Their teeth are very tiny but sharp. It tried hard to bite me but I managed to keep away from it's strikes. This one was a bit longer and thicker than the average garter snakes I have seen around here at about 30" or so long and thicker through the middle than a broom handle. I carried it off and threw it in a overgrown vacant lot a block away. Don't know if it survived as it quit wiggling and resisting about half way there and didn't move after I tossed it into the overgrowth. May have held it too tight behind it's head and strangled it.

I'm generally not all that scared of snakes as long as I see them first. I DO NOT like to be surprised by them, though.

A friend of mine once set fire to a couch he had for kicking back and relaxing out in his garage after seeing a snake come slithering out from under it. When someone asked why he set fire to the couch AFTER the snake was already gone his reply was, "any where there's one snake there could be more... and I'm not taking any chances".

Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20
This one crawled out of a bale I was leaned against turkey hunting this spring. Went up a tree a few feet away, warmed up then went on his way.

Glad they have never really bothered me. I do get surprised by them occasionally.

I don't kill the black snakes or some garter snakes but those banded water snakes get it. They run around pissed at the world and always wanna bite something even though they are not poisonous.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Crockettnj Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20
She just happened to film herself getting bit? Yeah? huh.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20
So what type of snake was it? Was your irrational fear at least somewhat supported by reality?
Posted By: blindshooter Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20
Serpents is mostly OK, spiders on the other hand can cause me to hurt myself. Working under houses helping my old man run black pipe did it to me. Spiders and them jacked up racing crickets give me the jerks but I'll grab a snake and throw it off into the bushes or a field.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20
I am afraid of wasps.
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
She just happened to film herself getting bit? Yeah? huh.

She was filming herself doing tumbling for cheerleader practice, and wasn't aware of the copperhead.

https://heavy.com/news/2020/05/cheerleader-snake-bite-houston/
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I am afraid of wasps.

Come on now Jim, don't be that way. We ain't all bad.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20
Snakes haven't been our friends since Adam and Eve, so you should feel free to kill them whenever/wherever you encounter them unless killing them is prohibited by law. You shouldn't break the law and if you do, you shouldn't share that information with anyone.

I'm not a fan of viper poisonous snakes, but don't find the non-poisonous varieties objectionable.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
I am afraid of wasps.

Come on now Jim, don't be that way. We ain't all bad.

Haha!

You are scary AF!
Posted By: DMc Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20
I guess my favorite shooting sport was hunting quail behind dogs. (Back when N. TX had quail)
Seeing a snake while quail hunting absolutely ruins your hunt. You're no longer watching the dogs or looking for birds, you're looking at every rock or brush stubble looking for another damned snake.
I hate them too!
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20
Originally Posted by jmdriver
I can be around most things and be fine, bats, mice, spiders, sister-in-law’s, etc. I don’t do snakes big or small especially when they are a surprise.

I am fine with snakes... as long as I see them first... I will go so far as to chase them chase down and catch racers and black snakes when they start darting across wind rows while mowing hay. ... HOWEVER, let one surprise me, and, one of us is going to die. To-date, it has always been the reptile...
Posted By: slumlord Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20
I am afraid of wasps.

I didn’t used to be u til one stung me on the eyelid.

Hard to run from them, roofing around a church steeple. 😐
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20
I am afraid of wasps.

I didn’t used to be u til one stung me on the eyelid.

Hard to run from them, roofing around a church steeple. 😐

Fuggin hurts just thinking about it.
Posted By: Lennie Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20
I had an employee who owned 4 to 5 ft. python. He sold his home. As he was going about moving, his python went into hiding somewhere in his house. He searched in vain trying to find it. He surmised that it had crawled into an opening under his hot jetted bath tub. He never told the new owners about the missing python. I have always wondered about the new owners and their experiences.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20
I'm not scared of snakes but I do kill all poisonous one's I see. My wife kills every snake she she's in our lake no exceptions. We still have a lot of snakes around here, but nothing like it was before we had cattle.
Posted By: Dutch Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20
This thread brings back fond memories of my kid's penchant for collecting garter snakes from the canal and the farm, their inevitable escapes from their terraria, and my ex's amusing reactions to their unexpected presence...

Good times....
As kids we used to run around the farm with bull snakes wrapped around our arm just for giggles.

Then, as an adult and father, I got up close and personal with a couple rattlers. At first glance, bull snakes and rattlers appear very similar. Now days I jump back and study the specimen closely before approaching a bull snake. Random water snakes and such do not bother me at all.

Usually, I kill any rattler on sight. But I guess I am getting old. I saw two rattlers (30-36 in) on the road yesterday up near the lake. I did not even stop the truck.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20
Am not a screamer but could easily medal in a vertical jump competition if surprised by a snake. Any identification only occurs during the autopsy...I dont play favorites, treat em all alike.

Was trying to diagnose a clogged water hose recently and learned s snake will enter the open end.
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20
Am not a screamer but could easily medal in a vertical jump competition if surprised by a snake. Any identification only occurs during the autopsy...I dont play favorites, treat em all alike.

Was trying to diagnose a clogged water hose recently and learned s snake will enter the open end.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20
Originally Posted by Dutch
This thread brings back fond memories of my kid's penchant for collecting garter snakes from the canal and the farm, their inevitable escapes from their terraria, and my ex's amusing reactions to their unexpected presence...

Good times....

Rooming with my bro once in the olden days. He had a rosy boa. Took a gal home, she asked what was in the "aquarium", I told her a snake. Thought I wasn't going to get any that night, but told her it never gets out. Things went better for me then.

Next morning, got up, snake nowhere to be seen. I didn't tell her. Found it weeks later up under the plumbing for the bathroom sink.
Saw a 3' gopher snake (bull snake for some of you) on the road while walking the dogs today.

Didn't jump.

Neither did my wife.

Apparently she is more braver than some of the girly men on this site. grin

😃

Shake My family tree and there is some sickle cell in it, and I am blond haired blue eyed, so knock that [bleep] off.

You're A bigchickenpussybaby, too!
Posted By: 12344mag Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20
[Linked Image from cdn.images.express.co.uk]
Originally Posted by MikeL2
So what type of snake was it? Was your irrational fear at least somewhat supported by reality?

Wife said a cow or corn snake, pretty much physically harmless. I call them rattleheadedcoppermoccasons. eek

Irrational fear not supported from reality is I think is why it's called a phobia. grin But a friend & ex head of Ky. wildlife education has told me that no one is born with a fear of snakes & something has likely happened to me that I may not remember.

I don't encounter them often & the surprise up close & personal is the panic BS. Otherwise, I deal with it best I can.

Got some mowing done, as jumpy as a heard of grasshoppers on a hot skillet. I'll get over it.
Posted By: hanco Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20
Snakes don’t scare me much. I am not scared of wasps, but hate them.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]picture share
Posted By: hanco Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20
My son in law is a war veteran, decorated police officer. He is scared cshitless of snakes. I have chased him several times with live rattlesnakes I’ve caught. He squeals like a little girl. If there is a snake in his yard, my daughter has to go kill it.

Here is a good size pine snake I caught a couple of years ago.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]lightshot
Posted By: ol_mike Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20
Rockinbbar ,

I guess she had no clue what happenned - didn't appear that she ever saw the snake . Sat down and put her both feet in the same spot .

She did have blonde hair smile ,, ----hope she's ok .
Posted By: TheKid Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20
I had to deploy the Combat Masterpiece and some 150gr SWCs yesterday at the ranch. Walked to the back of the cabin to get the fire ready to light for our Sunday evening weenie roast and there was a rattler. SOB was laying right by the fire pit sleeping off a mouse in his belly. One shot through three coils blew him off the pit and another through his head finished the job.

If I see them up in the hills they usually get a pass. Down around the gates, cabin, or corral and they’re in trouble.

😃

Gonna find one of them philippine cobras and send the little bastard to ya...LOL
Originally Posted by 12344mag
[Linked Image from cdn.images.express.co.uk]

See now thats just low and mean, like sending pictures of clowns to Steelehead... 🤪🤪🤪
Originally Posted by hanco
My son in law is a war veteran, decorated police officer. He is scared cshitless of snakes. I have chased him several times with live rattlesnakes I’ve caught. He squeals like a little girl. If there is a snake in his yard, my daughter has to go kill it.

I see you have your snake boots on for them terrible TX rattlers. cool
Posted By: JeffyD Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20
My daughter used to have a python, about a 6 footer. Very tame and docile...
...until the cat would walk into the room. The snake thought he heard the dinner bell, and would try to slither after the cat. We named him Alf, after the cat eating alien of TV fame. If I had my way, Alf would have enjoyed his dinner.
Les, I thought about you a couple days ago.

I think I got spider bit... eek

Was mowing on my riding mower, and had to go between some bushes and there were cobwebs in there I didn't see, and they just covered me. Had to stop and take a rag and get all the cobwebs off.

Just kept on mowing. Had my shorts and tennis shoes on. After awhile I got an itchy burning feeling in my crotch area. It just kept getting worse. So, I stop and shuck those shorts and pull down my underwear and there was a couple of spider legs inside. Guess I'd smashed it.

Then I was sore the next day, and investigated, and found a good sized welt at the base of my dick! Swelled up pretty good too. Took quite a bit of Benadryl and a couple of days to get somewhat back to normal.

Only I could manage to get bitten on the dick by a spider. frown
Posted By: Dryfly24 Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20

😃

Now I’m curious. What ethnic brew would make a man fear spiders? grin
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20
Just do what I do. Catch them with your snake tongs. The pattern on the skin is pretty when you see it up close.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Les, I thought about you a couple days ago.

I think I got spider bit... eek

Was mowing on my riding mower, and had to go between some bushes and there were cobwebs in there I didn't see, and they just covered me. Had to stop and take a rag and get all the cobwebs off.

Just kept on mowing. Had my shorts and tennis shoes on. After awhile I got an itchy burning feeling in my crotch area. It just kept getting worse. So, I stop and shuck those shorts and pull down my underwear and there was a couple of spider legs inside. Guess I'd smashed it.

Then I was sore the next day, and investigated, and found a good sized welt at the base of my dick! Swelled up pretty good too. Took quite a bit of Benadryl and a couple of days to get somewhat back to normal.

Only I could manage to get bitten on the dick by a spider. frown

Only real spiders have to deal with here are them damned camel spiders, Buggers are quick. Guys try and mess with me using scorpions, find out real quick, i will catch snakes and throw them in there office. 95% of the snakes here are poisonous.
Now I will admit, I am a bit more careful when I am at the wifes family farm in the PI, as cobras are just not as easy going as these sand vipers here. They also have BIG fookin Huntsman Spiders theere, and bird eating spiders. I tend to tread lightly when in the jungle around the farm. laugh
Now I will admit, I am a bit more careful when I am at the wifes family farm in the PI, as cobras are just not as easy going as these sand vipers here. They also have BIG fookin Huntsman Spiders theere, and bird eating spiders. I tend to tread lightly when in the jungle around the farm. laugh

Glad it wasn't a big, bird eating spider that was in my shorts!

Might not have anything left! grin
Posted By: Torqued Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20
We have a strip pit in our front yard and usually there are 2-4 green or brown water snakes hanging around. I usually leave them be if they stay on the far side of the pit. If they show up on the house side they die of being sawed in half by a 12ga nitro mag and usually get one or 2 a summer with the mower

😃

Gonna find one of them philippine cobras and send the little bastard to ya...LOL

Cool! When I had to live in Kansas, I used to catch Copperheads near the house and relocate them. My wife is terrified of snakes. She can barely look at a picture of one.
Ill ensure i do a Jane, and add a not that you wanted it. laugh
?
Remember Jane, the one who sent me the Banana bread with friggin fake spiders. My Ma, and VANimrod were involved in that.
Remember Jane, the one who sent me the Banana bread with friggin fake spiders. My Ma, and VANimrod were involved in that.

Were they baked in the bread or just on top?

Some of them ones with the big long legs maybe? eek
Posted By: stxhunter Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20
never been afraid of them started catching them when I was about 6-7, remember my mom and aunt chasing me when I was 8 with a hoe telling me to drop the water moccasin i caught.
Posted By: RJY66 Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20

You gotta have worse faults to worry about. Just got to! laugh

I'm scared of them myself. I was walking in a swamp with one of my buddies trying to pick out a spot to put a deer stand a couple of years ago. I stepped a little to close for my comfort to a little bitty copperhead about a foot long. The snake was to my right and my buddy to my left. Buddy is a great big fella probably 6'4 way over 200. I ran smack into him and bounced off like John Riggins used to bounce off linebackers....kept right on going for a few feet. Just a gut reaction that happened before I could think about it. I was wearing a fine pair of Chippewa snake boots at the time and could have stomped the poor little snake to death but that didn't matter.

A good laugh was had by all! laugh
Originally Posted by stxhunter
never been afraid of them started catching them when I was about 6-7, remember my mom and aunt chasing me when I was 8 with a hoe telling me to drop the water moccasin i caught.

Worst ass whuppin I got from Mom was stuffing one in my pants pocket and her finding it whiel washing clothes. i still cringe
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20
Most snakes I don't mind, been that way since I was a kid.

OTOH, I fuggin' hate moccasins, copperheads, cobras, kraits, and bamboo vipers. Notice the red tail and arrowhead shape of the head, it's what differentiates them from the common green snake. That and the fact the viper version can kill you deader than a roadkill skunk. They don't live here in Floriduh. Yet.

[Linked Image from biosch.hku.hk]
Yard is mowed, I didn't nearly hyperventilate, or sweat profusely. Like I did yesterday. Didn't even drink a beer before mowing or during. Live, & don't pee pants for another day.

Prairie Dog shoot scheduled for net month might be a go. I've wrestled prairie rattlers before on these shoots, serious, not squealing & running, man up & take care of the situation. I have a lot of fun shooting PD's, but the rattlers are usually on my mind & put a damper on things a bit. I try not to let them stop me.

😃

Cool! When I had to live in Kansas, I used to catch Copperheads near the house and relocate them. My wife is terrified of snakes. She can barely look at a picture of one.

Well, I understand your wifes position. How is she able to leave the house?

Hey Digital Dan, not gonna copy your last pic as I've seen enough. But is that the one they called the 2 step Charlie? I've got buddies that told me about them. And... the FU lizards.
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Worst ass whuppin I got from Mom was stuffing one in my pants pocket and her finding it whiel washing clothes. i still cringe

wow, that sure beats a frog!
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20
My friend Gary was at an air base in Thailand during the Vietnam War. There was a village nearby and he would go down there to a local restaurant and have a meal and a beer.
Walking down the road one day, he saw a garter snake and picked it up. He walked into the Thailand restaurant. Everbody jumped up and ran out the door.
The owner, who knew Gary, told him, "Gary go outside right now and drop the snake and kill it. Or else, you will die young in Thailand."

Turned out it was a bamboo viper.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: I hate being this way - 05/25/20
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
My friend Gary was at an air base in Thailand during the Vietnam War. There was a village nearby and he would go down there to a local restaurant and have a meal and a beer.
Walking down the road one day, he saw a garter snake and picked it up. He walked into the Thailand restaurant. Everbody jumped up and ran out the door.
The owner, who knew Gary, told him, "Gary go outside right now and drop the snake and kill it. Or else, you will die young in Thailand."

The triangle shaped head is always the thing to look for. There's a few venomous snakes native to here, but about all you hear of are Copperheads. Anytime I see a snake the first thing I focus on is the shape of its head.

But I can't recall the last time I saw a snake of any kind around here.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: I hate being this way - 05/26/20
Originally Posted by hanco

Chase me with a poisonous snake - and you're first, snake second!
Any non-poisonous snake gets a pass, though!
Posted By: ironbender Re: I hate being this way - 05/26/20

😃

Well, I understand your wifes position. How is she able to leave the house?

Hey Digital Dan, not gonna copy your last pic as I've seen enough. But is that the one they called the 2 step Charlie? I've got buddies that told me about them. And... the FU lizards.

I had to sweep the yard and keep the grass putting-green short!
Posted By: ribka Re: I hate being this way - 05/26/20
Just do what I do. Catch them with your snake tongs. The pattern on the skin is pretty when you see it up close.

LOOKS LIKE A NICE COPPERHEAD.

I ve always liked and been fascinated by snakes and all reptiles and amphibians since Ive been a child. I just worry about rattle snakes bird hunting and concerned dog might get bit.

Ill often stop if I see a bull snake sunning on the road and pull it off the road. Could care lees if a rattle snake.

Only thing I hate are ground hornets
Posted By: hanco Re: I hate being this way - 05/26/20
I don’t like ground hornets either
Posted By: 12344mag Re: I hate being this way - 05/26/20
This should give you the Hee bee gee bee's!

Posted By: DigitalDan Re: I hate being this way - 05/26/20
Originally Posted by Bristoe

The triangle shaped head is always the thing to look for. There's a few venomous snakes native to here, but about all you hear of are Copperheads. Anytime I see a snake the first thing I focus on is the shape of its head.

Yeah, look at the head.

[Linked Image from scx1.b-cdn.net]

Now tell me, is this a bad snake?

[Linked Image from animals.net]
Posted By: stxhunter Re: I hate being this way - 05/26/20
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Yeah, look at the head.

[Linked Image from scx1.b-cdn.net]

Now tell me, is this a bad snake?

[Linked Image from animals.net]
king cobra.
Winner!
Posted By: Redneck Re: I hate being this way - 05/26/20

Getting the zero turn mower ready yesterday, gas, checking fluids topping off hyd. tanks & just about finished. I had scanned the shop floor & rafters when I first went in the shop, all clear.

Put the caps back on tanks & right there in front of my face, sticking it's tongue out & looking at me like, whats up? The sumbuck wasn't in the rafters, it was in my feakin mower.

After the usual girly scream & the 5-10 foot run when I can usually stop myself, the vision of the encounter reappeared, my distance had doubled. Then I realized it was still in my mower & screamed just a little more. I had a 317 Smith w/shot shells in my pocket, but that just didn't compute until after the 30' dash.

Wife came to the end of the porch & I thought she ask; what is it.
Totally irrational now, I said; WTF do you think it is.
She said; I ask where is it, you smartass.
It's in my freakin mower, I said, & wanted to cry. What the hell am I gonna do now.

I'll save the snake lovers the details of the rodeo that followed, but in the end, it didn't go well for the critter. Tools were a S&W & a frog gig with a 12 foot pole, as I wouldn't touch a snake with a 10' one.

I've tried to man up & get used to the things, but so far I haven't been successful, my virgina always come into play. My phobia isn't totally life controlling as I usually deal with it & don't live in constant fear when I think I'm in their territory. But the sudden encounters take over before I can gain any common sense of the situation & I just loose it. crazy

Just thought I'd vent, & yes, the yard still needs mowing.

Not at all uncommon... Good friend of mine is the same way - can't even watch any show on TV that features snakes...
We all have phobias. Back in junior high days I caught a black widow in a small jar and took it to school. When I unveiled it in science class I got my first public ass chewing. Thing that really hurt was I had the hots for teacher. Not sure I ever got over that.
Posted By: hotsoup Re: I hate being this way - 05/26/20
i live way out in the country, on a farm with every sort of critter. not uncommon to see snakes, spiders (particularly brown recluse), and flying hornets, wasps, etc. Because we raise rice, it's not unusual to have cottonmouths crawl through the yard. also can find copperheads in the woods around fields. i kill every pit viper i see, but let all other snakes move on past. just started spring squirrel hunting a few days ago and have seen 2 cottonmouths so far. snakes are just part of every day life, so you get used to them. my wife can't tell the difference between most snakes, she just hollers and i come running. wouldn't have it any other way. ymmv.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: I hate being this way - 05/26/20
No fear of snakes here, but then I’ve never been bitten. So I still think it’s kind of cool to run into a rattlesnake in the woods. They need to die though if they’re in a place where they can bite people or livestock.

Stepped over a log in East Texas and there was a copperhead coiled right there on the other side, got lucky again I guess, beautiful snake. Had a friend out birdwatching step on a water moccasin but it was a cold day like in the 50s and the snake was quite sluggish.

The Africans legendary fear of snakes is well-founded, everybody over there knows or knows of someone who was killed by a snake. Me too. There was a 12-year-old girl at our school bitten in the ankle by a black cobra, I think the poor girl died from fright as much as anything else.

But I have to say seems like as many Africans are killed by a rabid dog bites as they are by venomous snakes.
Posted By: AML Re: I hate being this way - 05/26/20
Not too bad with snakes but I'm allergic to bee stings so quite afraid of them. Then they have to go and mess with me on this murder hornet stuff.
I am afraid of wasps.

Same here.
Posted By: TheKid Re: I hate being this way - 05/26/20
When I was about 3 1/2, maybe 4, I would play with my dad’s snake tong like Simonkenton has. I was under the screen porch on one end of our little Sears bungalow playing when I found a snake. Doing the logical thing I went to the garage and got the tong. I was under there trying to get ahold of him when my dad came out and asked what I was up to. When I told him he made me get out of there and he took the tong and went in. I thought my mom was going to faint when she came down the porch steps holding my baby sister as dad hauled a 2’ copperhead out from under the porch!

I still remember the asswhipping that came from that ordeal. smile
Posted By: JefeMojado Re: I hate being this way - 05/26/20
Never had a fear for snakes, as kids we would catch all species out in the desert and sell them to local pet store, made pretty good summer money along with any and all lizards they apparently used for feed? Ive been bit by a variety of venomous insects but since having a second place here in Florida, Ive encountered what I now have developed a slight fear of...….these gawtdamned hornets/yellow jackets/wasps, whatever the hell southerners call the nasty stinging sonofabitches that live in the ground here.
Ive gotten swarmed about five times in several years now, usually while kneeling down to cut trees close to the ground. Never see where they come from until coming back after an incident, but suddenly have hornets all over me, and I swear they follow me to the house as I swat and run like a little girl. Of all the insects Ive been stung by, I would rate the bite from these as by far the most painful and prolonged, hurts for hours, then itches for days.....nasty fuggers!
They be yellow jackets.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: I hate being this way - 05/26/20
I hate cobras of all kinds.
They've done studies on that the world over. Whereever you go, people who have never seen a snake or spider get stressed when they see one. Babies in northern Europe stress out at a picture of a snake.

I say you'd be less scared of that snake if you actually wanted to mow the grass. You can get used to anything if there's something you want real bad associated with it.
Posted By: Raeford Re: I hate being this way - 05/26/20
Had a 4' black racer come out from under the atv gas tank and wrap around my leg[wearing shorts of course] as it was trying to escape.
I had just left the yard and was in a brief wooded section where I had to lean forward to be under the branches and there was basically no escape for about 50 yards.
That somewhat cured my rabid fear of snakes.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: I hate being this way - 05/26/20
Originally Posted by Raeford
Had a 4' black racer come out from under the atv gas tank and wrap around my leg[wearing shorts of course] as it was trying to escape.
I had just left the yard and was in a brief wooded section where I had to lean forward to be under the branches and there was basically no escape for about 50 yards.

Lol, Would have been interesting to see your face....... grin
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: I hate being this way - 05/26/20
Originally Posted by SKane

You are not alone. blush

I got a pussy too for snakes. 🤷🏽‍♀️😎
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: I hate being this way - 05/26/20
Lady Gaga says its okay....you were born this way.
Posted By: Crusader Re: I hate being this way - 05/26/20
This past Saturday afternoon I had just finished mowing the lawn with my push mower and discovered a large, black rat snake coiled up on the front porch right next to the door. This was right after I'd seen a small one slither across the sidewalk to the front door. We live just outside of suburban St. Louis County but near woods so this isn't totally unexpected. I finally was able to coax the big one away and took care of it with a shovel. It was pushing 5' long. Felt kinda bad about that because they are "good" snakes but wife and daughter freaked out and didn't want any part of that thing being alive that close to the house so I did what I had to do.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: I hate being this way - 05/26/20
You can gather em up and fling em into the neighbors yard instead of killing them.
Posted By: hanco Re: I hate being this way - 05/26/20
Lady Gaga says its okay....you were born this way.

If Lady GaGa says it, it has got to be true
Posted By: slumlord Re: I hate being this way - 05/26/20
lady Gaga was hatched from an egg

Everyone knows that...I do laugh

You people would be sooooo lost without me grin

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Raeford Re: I hate being this way - 05/26/20
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by Raeford

Lol, Would have been interesting to see your face....... grin

Wife called me an injun name for non-natives for a couple hours.......
Posted By: las Re: I hate being this way - 05/26/20
Only three snakes that ever startled (much less scared) me were rattlers. I don't kill any snake needlessly - my definition is far more stringent than many here. If not an immediate threat to people, livestock, or close around home buildings they live. Of course, I don't have to worry about that up here.

Wife and I were walking on E. MT. grassy prairie when one went off at our feet. It's really hard to push one's wife aside with one's feet a foot in the air. No leverage...but I tried. Got ME out of harms way, anyway. My intention was good...... Really.... smile. Besides- she grew up with them, and just stood there until she located the snake, then stepped back.

A couple years later, a few miles away, one at least 6' long went off right under the tractor I was discing FIL field with. I looked back in time to see it go under the disc, tho If I could have stopped in time I would have. It was loud enough that initial thought was that it was in the cab with me. Probably still finger and toe claw marks on the ceiling! It was LOUD!

In HS, I was making 10-bale stacks on a sled behind a baler in central ND, where rattlers are not common. Sank the hook in with right hand, grabbed strings with left hand, started my pivot when I noticed a foot of tail end of a rattler hanging out the bale. The pivot continued, but the 60 lb bale wound up about 30 feet to the side. Boss stopped the tractor and wanted to know WTF I was doing.

Never did find the front half- maybe a cow ate it later, in another bale, tho we examined that one, and one either way. Or maybe that front end is a mummy now, still inside that baler, if it still exists.
Posted By: akpls Re: I hate being this way - 05/26/20

😃

Good to be in Alaska.....a Snake Free Zone
© 24hourcampfire