-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
No fear of snakes here, but then I’ve never been bitten. So I still think it’s kind of cool to run into a rattlesnake in the woods. They need to die though if they’re in a place where they can bite people or livestock.

Stepped over a log in East Texas and there was a copperhead coiled right there on the other side, got lucky again I guess, beautiful snake. Had a friend out birdwatching step on a water moccasin but it was a cold day like in the 50s and the snake was quite sluggish.

The Africans legendary fear of snakes is well-founded, everybody over there knows or knows of someone who was killed by a snake. Me too. There was a 12-year-old girl at our school bitten in the ankle by a black cobra, I think the poor girl died from fright as much as anything else.

But I have to say seems like as many Africans are killed by a rabid dog bites as they are by venomous snakes.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

A
AML Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Not too bad with snakes but I'm allergic to bee stings so quite afraid of them. Then they have to go and mess with me on this murder hornet stuff.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I am afraid of wasps.

Same here.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
When I was about 3 1/2, maybe 4, I would play with my dad’s snake tong like Simonkenton has. I was under the screen porch on one end of our little Sears bungalow playing when I found a snake. Doing the logical thing I went to the garage and got the tong. I was under there trying to get ahold of him when my dad came out and asked what I was up to. When I told him he made me get out of there and he took the tong and went in. I thought my mom was going to faint when she came down the porch steps holding my baby sister as dad hauled a 2’ copperhead out from under the porch!

I still remember the asswhipping that came from that ordeal. smile

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Never had a fear for snakes, as kids we would catch all species out in the desert and sell them to local pet store, made pretty good summer money along with any and all lizards they apparently used for feed? Ive been bit by a variety of venomous insects but since having a second place here in Florida, Ive encountered what I now have developed a slight fear of...….these gawtdamned hornets/yellow jackets/wasps, whatever the hell southerners call the nasty stinging sonofabitches that live in the ground here.
Ive gotten swarmed about five times in several years now, usually while kneeling down to cut trees close to the ground. Never see where they come from until coming back after an incident, but suddenly have hornets all over me, and I swear they follow me to the house as I swat and run like a little girl. Of all the insects Ive been stung by, I would rate the bite from these as by far the most painful and prolonged, hurts for hours, then itches for days.....nasty fuggers!

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They be yellow jackets.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I hate cobras of all kinds.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
They've done studies on that the world over. Whereever you go, people who have never seen a snake or spider get stressed when they see one. Babies in northern Europe stress out at a picture of a snake.

I say you'd be less scared of that snake if you actually wanted to mow the grass. You can get used to anything if there's something you want real bad associated with it.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Had a 4' black racer come out from under the atv gas tank and wrap around my leg[wearing shorts of course] as it was trying to escape.
I had just left the yard and was in a brief wooded section where I had to lean forward to be under the branches and there was basically no escape for about 50 yards.
That somewhat cured my rabid fear of snakes.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Raeford
Had a 4' black racer come out from under the atv gas tank and wrap around my leg[wearing shorts of course] as it was trying to escape.
I had just left the yard and was in a brief wooded section where I had to lean forward to be under the branches and there was basically no escape for about 50 yards.

Lol, Would have been interesting to see your face....... grin

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by gunzo
A bigchickenpussybaby. I have a phobia, a totally irrational fear of snakes.

You are not alone. blush

I got a pussy too for snakes. 🤷🏽‍♀️😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Lady Gaga says its okay....you were born this way.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This past Saturday afternoon I had just finished mowing the lawn with my push mower and discovered a large, black rat snake coiled up on the front porch right next to the door. This was right after I'd seen a small one slither across the sidewalk to the front door. We live just outside of suburban St. Louis County but near woods so this isn't totally unexpected. I finally was able to coax the big one away and took care of it with a shovel. It was pushing 5' long. Felt kinda bad about that because they are "good" snakes but wife and daughter freaked out and didn't want any part of that thing being alive that close to the house so I did what I had to do.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
You can gather em up and fling em into the neighbors yard instead of killing them.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Lady Gaga says its okay....you were born this way.

If Lady GaGa says it, it has got to be true

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
lady Gaga was hatched from an egg

Everyone knows that...I do laugh

You people would be sooooo lost without me grin

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Originally Posted by Raeford

Lol, Would have been interesting to see your face....... grin

Wife called me an injun name for non-natives for a couple hours.......

FJB & FJT
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Only three snakes that ever startled (much less scared) me were rattlers. I don't kill any snake needlessly - my definition is far more stringent than many here. If not an immediate threat to people, livestock, or close around home buildings they live. Of course, I don't have to worry about that up here.

Wife and I were walking on E. MT. grassy prairie when one went off at our feet. It's really hard to push one's wife aside with one's feet a foot in the air. No leverage...but I tried. Got ME out of harms way, anyway. My intention was good...... Really.... smile. Besides- she grew up with them, and just stood there until she located the snake, then stepped back.

A couple years later, a few miles away, one at least 6' long went off right under the tractor I was discing FIL field with. I looked back in time to see it go under the disc, tho If I could have stopped in time I would have. It was loud enough that initial thought was that it was in the cab with me. Probably still finger and toe claw marks on the ceiling! It was LOUD!

In HS, I was making 10-bale stacks on a sled behind a baler in central ND, where rattlers are not common. Sank the hook in with right hand, grabbed strings with left hand, started my pivot when I noticed a foot of tail end of a rattler hanging out the bale. The pivot continued, but the 60 lb bale wound up about 30 feet to the side. Boss stopped the tractor and wanted to know WTF I was doing.

Never did find the front half- maybe a cow ate it later, in another bale, tho we examined that one, and one either way. Or maybe that front end is a mummy now, still inside that baler, if it still exists.

Last edited by las; 05/26/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Violator22
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Violator22
Originally Posted by slumlord
You only have to have 2% genetic negro to possess the notorious innate fear of serpents

😃

Is there anyone named “Nate” in your family tree?

Shake My family tree and there is some sickle cell in it, and I am blond haired blue eyed, so knock that [bleep] off.

You're A bigchickenpussybaby, too!

Gonna find one of them philippine cobras and send the little bastard to ya...LOL

Cool! When I had to live in Kansas, I used to catch Copperheads near the house and relocate them. My wife is terrified of snakes. She can barely look at a picture of one.

Good to be in Alaska.....a Snake Free Zone

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

58 members (14idaho, 3dtestify, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 11 invisible), 1,854 guests, and 779 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,727
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.