Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
gunzo Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
A bigchickenpussybaby. I have a phobia, a totally irrational fear of snakes.

Getting the zero turn mower ready yesterday, gas, checking fluids topping off hyd. tanks & just about finished. I had scanned the shop floor & rafters when I first went in the shop, all clear.

Put the caps back on tanks & right there in front of my face, sticking it's tongue out & looking at me like, whats up? The sumbuck wasn't in the rafters, it was in my feakin mower.

After the usual girly scream & the 5-10 foot run when I can usually stop myself, the vision of the encounter reappeared, my distance had doubled. Then I realized it was still in my mower & screamed just a little more. I had a 317 Smith w/shot shells in my pocket, but that just didn't compute until after the 30' dash.

Wife came to the end of the porch & I thought she ask; what is it.
Totally irrational now, I said; WTF do you think it is.
She said; I ask where is it, you smartass.
It's in my freakin mower, I said, & wanted to cry. What the hell am I gonna do now.

I'll save the snake lovers the details of the rodeo that followed, but in the end, it didn't go well for the critter. Tools were a S&W & a frog gig with a 12 foot pole, as I wouldn't touch a snake with a 10' one.

I've tried to man up & get used to the things, but so far I haven't been successful, my virgina always come into play. My phobia isn't totally life controlling as I usually deal with it & don't live in constant fear when I think I'm in their territory. But the sudden encounters take over before I can gain any common sense of the situation & I just loose it. crazy

Just thought I'd vent, & yes, the yard still needs mowing.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
LOL!
How do you even leave the house? 😳

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
LOL!

Same way I do with Spiders Mike. laugh

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I can't blame ya. I have a fear like that of rats and mice. No idea why but i just get the hell away fast and then wonder why later.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fire is the great cleanser. laugh

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunzo
A bigchickenpussybaby. I have a phobia, a totally irrational fear of snakes.

You are not alone. blush

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In the 1980s I lived in Pittsburgh. I went to work that day on second shift and told my buddy how I pull started the mower and half a snake flew out. Amazingly he did the same thing that day about 10 miles away. He thought his wife told me. He was really stunned. Crazy coincidence. Never started a mower on one since.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I can be around most things and be fine, bats, mice, spiders, sister-in-law’s, etc. I don’t do snakes big or small especially when they are a surprise.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Violator22
LOL!

^this. Hate those fuggers worse than taxes...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Nothing at all irrational about that.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You only have to have 2% genetic negro to possess the notorious innate fear of serpents

😃

Is there anyone named “Nate” in your family tree?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dryfly24
Originally Posted by Violator22
LOL!

^this. Hate those fuggers worse than taxes...

Damn fuggin Skippy i hate them fuggers!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by slumlord
You only have to have 2% genetic negro to possess the notorious innate fear of serpents

😃

Shake My family tree and there is some sickle cell in it, and I am blond haired blue eyed, so knock that [bleep] off.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Evidently copperhead bites hurt pretty bad, pretty quickly.

This girl got bitten a few days ago. It's a wonder she wasn't struck multiple times...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
G
gunzo Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by slumlord

😃

LOL

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Wife had been seeing one from out the window slithering around beneath her bird feeders in our backyard and was afraid to go outside to refill the feeders. Day before yesterday I was able to catch it before it saw me and pin it down to the ground with a tomato stake and snatch it up holding it right behind it's head. Was just a harmless garter snake but they can and will bite and hold on. Their teeth are very tiny but sharp. It tried hard to bite me but I managed to keep away from it's strikes. This one was a bit longer and thicker than the average garter snakes I have seen around here at about 30" or so long and thicker through the middle than a broom handle. I carried it off and threw it in a overgrown vacant lot a block away. Don't know if it survived as it quit wiggling and resisting about half way there and didn't move after I tossed it into the overgrowth. May have held it too tight behind it's head and strangled it.

I'm generally not all that scared of snakes as long as I see them first. I DO NOT like to be surprised by them, though.

A friend of mine once set fire to a couch he had for kicking back and relaxing out in his garage after seeing a snake come slithering out from under it. When someone asked why he set fire to the couch AFTER the snake was already gone his reply was, "any where there's one snake there could be more... and I'm not taking any chances".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This one crawled out of a bale I was leaned against turkey hunting this spring. Went up a tree a few feet away, warmed up then went on his way.

Glad they have never really bothered me. I do get surprised by them occasionally.

I don't kill the black snakes or some garter snakes but those banded water snakes get it. They run around pissed at the world and always wanna bite something even though they are not poisonous.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 05/25/20.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
She just happened to film herself getting bit? Yeah? huh.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
So what type of snake was it? Was your irrational fear at least somewhat supported by reality?

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Serpents is mostly OK, spiders on the other hand can cause me to hurt myself. Working under houses helping my old man run black pipe did it to me. Spiders and them jacked up racing crickets give me the jerks but I'll grab a snake and throw it off into the bushes or a field.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (1minute, 204guy, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1Longbow, 65 invisible), 2,275 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,692
Posts18,494,126
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.