Home
A family member was over in eastern ID over the weekend for a fishing trip. Fueled at the Maverick in St. Anthony, drove up to Last Chance in Island Park, and stopped for dinner. Went out and my 2008 F250 diesel wouldn't start. Towed it to a mechanic, and they found gasoline in the fuel tank. Motor is toast. Receipt clearly shows that diesel was sold. Confirmed with Maverick corporate.

Has anyone else heard reports of this out of eastern ID?

Is this something that an insurance company should cover? I have comprehensive coverage with State Farm.

I'm seriously thinking about paying that mechanic to put a re-manufactured 5.9 Cummins in it. Hopefully with Maverick paying for it.
This is something that Maverick should cover and I'd raise a shidt storm if they didn't.
Your insurance company should be able to assist you in getting Maverick to pay for this, contact them right away and file a claim anyway.
Just curious how much "diesel" you put in it? I'm kind of suprised you made it up to Last Chance (40 miles?)

I had a friend that "accidently" filled his Dad's work truck (gas) with diesel and as I remember, he did not get down the road very far before he started having problems. It did not ruin the engine as I remember in that case but his old man was not very happy with the inconvenience and cost!

I've fueled a few times at that Maverick but I usually trust my truck to the Chevron diesel in Ashton. Hearing this I see no need to change! Sorry for the mistake and problems. Keep us posted. There are so many Mavericks in the area now that is is sometimes hard to find the competition.
I'm an independent mechanical inspector for a company that investigates warranty and mechanical damage claims. They flew me from Tennessee to Spokane Washington to confirm a claim that a truck stop in Wyoming had mis-fueled a brand new Freightliner that was being ferried back to the dealership from a custom body builder that had just installed a beverage body on it. They put about 25 gallons of gasoline into a Diesel tank, and the truck made it less than 10 miles before the engine went toes-up. That was a $35,000.00 mistake and the truck stop bit the bullet for a new engine.
Jerry
Maverik runs their own trucks and drivers. They obviously screwed up. I wonder how many other drivers got caught on it. It could get really expensive.
I know people can make mistakes but it would be hard for me to not notice the gasoline smell while filling up my diesel truck.
Originally Posted by victoro
I know people can make mistakes but it would be hard for me to not notice the gasoline smell while filling up my diesel truck.

That was what I used to think, right up 'til I woke up at the 30 litre mark.

Apparently I am really good at profanity.
Originally Posted by lundtroller
Just curious how much "diesel" you put in it? I'm kind of suprised you made it up to Last Chance (40 miles?)

I had a friend that "accidently" filled his Dad's work truck (gas) with diesel and as I remember, he did not get down the road very far before he started having problems. It did not ruin the engine as I remember in that case but his old man was not very happy with the inconvenience and cost!

I've fueled a few times at that Maverick but I usually trust my truck to the Chevron diesel in Ashton. Hearing this I see no need to change! Sorry for the mistake and problems. Keep us posted. There are so many Mavericks in the area now that is is sometimes hard to find the competition.
how do you get a horse dick diesel size nozzle into a gasoline filler neck?
when i worked at oilstates we had a guy pour def into the fuel tank.......
Originally Posted by slumlord

He didn't. He put a gas mini-nozzle in a large diesel hole.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Nope.....from lundtroller..... ”friend that "accidently" filled his Dad's work truck (gas) with diesel”

Says in the quote, he put diesel in a (gas) truck
Oops. Didn't back up far enough in the string of quotes.
We cool 😃
Originally Posted by TwoEyedJack
A family member was over in eastern ID over the weekend for a fishing trip. Fueled at the Maverick in St. Anthony, drove up to Last Chance in Island Park, and stopped for dinner. Went out and my 2008 F250 diesel wouldn't start. Towed it to a mechanic, and they found gasoline in the fuel tank. Motor is toast. Receipt clearly shows that diesel was sold. Confirmed with Maverick corporate.

Is this something that an insurance company should cover? I have comprehensive coverage with State Farm.

I'm seriously thinking about paying that mechanic to put a re-manufactured 5.9 Cummins in it. Hopefully with Maverick paying for it.

Get a nasty good attorney and sue Maverick. They have the money and it was their fault. Do it fast before the 100s of others do the same.
We had an issue here in Teton County Idaho this winter. The distribution company put gas into the diesel tank at a station. A few folks got a mix when fueling up. According to local paper they made good on the issue with folks. And No, it was not a Maverick station.
many stations have a small gasoline sized nozzle for cars. that is a diesel nozzle that is small enough to fit in a diesel car fill tube.

other wise them meeercedes would not go far.
Why is the engine ruined?

A few years ago the Maverick in Caldwell got diesel into the gas tank. A friend filled his Chrysler 300 and it promptly went into limp mode. Code reader said excessively heavy fuel IIRC. The mechanic knew immediately what the problem was.

Anyway, the answer for his car was a complete flush of the fuel system and reset of the computer.

Maverick picked up the tab on his car and a whole mess of other cars so afflicted.

I sincerely hope the computer recognized the problem on your truck and shut it down before any serious damage was done.
Injecting gasoline into a combustion chamber that's 1000+ degrees F. from compression pressure creates a bomb. The usual result is bent connecting rods and/or holes blown in the tops of pistons, broken piston rings, etc. Diesel in a gas engine just makes it run lousy, smoke, knock, and be very low on power if it runs at all. Gas in a Diesel is a total cluster fook!
Jerry
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

In my (admittedly limited) experience up to 30% petrol in a modern diesel is not much of an issue, over that and there do be problems, diesel in a petrol is definitely a no-no.

According to the family member, it was on a quarter tank, they put in $20 worth of fuel, bringing it up to a half a tank of a 50/50 mixture. About a worst case scenario. Enough diesel to run, enough gasoline to melt the pistons. The family member didn't fill up because they felt the diesel was more expensive than what they could get in Idaho Falls on the way home.
Originally Posted by jnyork
Your insurance company should be able to assist you in getting Maverick to pay for this, contact them right away and file a claim anyway.

I did talk to my agent. He said if I file a claim, they would likely total my vehicle, and give me KBB value. Not interested. That truck is worth way more than $16K to me. I hope I can negotiate with Maverick to put a new engine in it.
Comingling of fuel in the underground tanks is a problem that's really not that uncommong. Fuel delivery guy screwed up, period. Go back to the station and show them the paperwork on the test done by the mechanic and you should be in business. They should have insurance for this.
Originally Posted by jnyork

I did talk to my agent. He said if I file a claim, they would likely total my vehicle, and give me KBB value. Not interested. That truck is worth way more than $16K to me. I hope I can negotiate with Maverick to put a new engine in it.

Why would Maverick's insurance not also just total the vehicle?

Insurance companies are not in the habit of paying out more than a vehicle is worth. I would buy it back from the Insurance Co. and have an engine installed with the $16 K. It would thereafter have a salvage title, but you would have your truck back, and with a new engine.
Wife filled the diesel pickup with gas.

It didn't explode......it just wouldn't run.
Among other things, diesel lubes the injectors and injector pump. Gas can't do that so they get dry and cook. I'm not a diesel mechanic but it's my understanding that gas will cause uncontrolled detonation in a diesel. It explodes when it wants to, not when the pistons are in the right position. The detonation pretty well tears the engine apart.
Among other things, diesel lubes the injectors and injector pump. Gas can't do that so they get dry and cook. I'm not a diesel mechanic but it's my understanding that gas will cause uncontrolled detonation in a diesel. It explodes when it wants to, not when the pistons are in the right position. The detonation pretty well tears the engine apart.

I put 30 litres of 91 in my diesel at Ararat and made it home 600 km with nary any issues, but it is an 80 litre tank and I stopped at every single fuel station I went past and topped it off...got some odd looks when only putting 2 litres in at a time.

The vehicle lacked power and didn't run smooth at the start, at Ballarat it wasn't that keen on starting and had to turn over a couple of times before starting...we did the math and reckon there was about 22 litres in the mix left when I got home. The local Toyota dealer dumped the fuel and replaced the fuel filter with no problems since...it pulled 170 and still climbing the very next day.

added, for those purchasing a new Hilux it is worth noting that the fuel tank is plastic and does not have provision for a drain plug, the fuel has to be pumped out.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

No compression. Pistons melted.
Originally Posted by JSTUART

I put 30 litres of 91 in my diesel at Ararat and made it home 600 km with nary any issues, but it is an 80 litre tank and I stopped at every single fuel station I went past and topped it off...got some odd looks when only putting 2 litres in at a time.

The vehicle lacked power and didn't run smooth at the start, at Ballarat it wasn't that keen on starting and had to turn over a couple of times before starting...we did the math and reckon there was about 22 litres in the mix left when I got home. The local Toyota dealer dumped the fuel and replaced the fuel filter with no problems since...it pulled 170 and still climbing the very next day.

added, for those purchasing a new Hilux it is worth noting that the fuel tank is plastic and does not have provision for a drain plug, the fuel has to be pumped out.

I ain’t proud to relate that in my teenage years guys would steal gas with only a gas can and a length of garden hose, a siphon is an amazing thing but gasoline sure tastes awful. We never tookALL the gas in a tank but we coulda got most all of it.
Originally Posted by JSTUART

We only just wish we could purchase a new Hi-Lux. Were they to become available on this side of the pond, a bunch of us would be at the dealership tomorrow.
Back in the early sixties, it would happen occasionally that Grand dad would go out to the field and fire up the tractor to find the eight gallon fuel tank near empty.

I remember well the humor when he borrowed a John Deere from one of my uncles for some heavier field work. As he and my uncle left the house that morning after milking the cows and then breakfast, they noticed a car come past smoking like Hell. Then it died and rolled to a stop about a half mile on up the road.

Sure 'nough, when they got out to the tractor they discovered the DIESEL fuel tank was down about five gallons from the evening before when they parked it.
My mechanic about 10 years ago said the maverick in rexburg had a lot of water in their gas one time. He said he had several people bring in cars with damaged engines because of it.

Maverick paid to fix only the ones that still had their original gas receipts from the fill up. Those that didn't have receipts were screwed. He said even those that had credit card statements were not covered. Receipts only. He told me always keep your gas receipts for a few weeks.

Years ago people in Burley often thought a chain of stations there watered down their gas. My cars never ran well on their fuel. One time the twin falls store was caught with a garden hose in their storage tank topping it off with water. My friend that drove fuel truck said maybe that's why the owner there never wanted the tanks stopped off. He always wanted about 200 gallons of room left.

Bb

Nope.....from lundtroller..... ”friend that "accidently" filled his Dad's work truck (gas) with diesel”

Says in the quote, he put diesel in a (gas) truck
Um, you do know that there are slim diesel nozzles at the various convenience stores that run diesel in the auto lanes, right?? And they will fit right into the gas tank pipes..
I did that but realized it before I started it up. My mechanic pumped it out. I ran it in my Jeep.
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
My mechanic about 10 years ago said the maverick in rexburg had a lot of water in their gas one time. He said he had several people bring in cars with damaged engines because of it.

Maverick paid to fix only the ones that still had their original gas receipts from the fill up. Those that didn't have receipts were screwed. He said even those that had credit card statements were not covered. Receipts only. He told me always keep your gas receipts for a few weeks.

Years ago people in Burley often thought a chain of stations there watered down their gas. My cars never ran well on their fuel. One time the twin falls store was caught with a garden hose in their storage tank topping it off with water. My friend that drove fuel truck said maybe that's why the owner there never wanted the tanks stopped off. He always wanted about 200 gallons of room left.

Bb

Wow. That is interesting. Every time I have seen water get into a gasoline vessel, it just settled out and layed on the bottom. I did not know they were soluble.
I've always wondered how someone can dump water into gas. They don't mix and the water all goes straight to the bottom. Tiny droplets will be in suspension but not large quantities.
Usually when you put def in the fuel tank or fill up with diesel contaminated with water you only get a mile or so down the road before the truck quits running. I think filling with gasoline does the same thing most of the time. Best case scenario you can flush the tank and fuel system and be fine. Worst case is new injectors, fuel pumps, fuel lines (def is really bad on the fuel system) or a new engine if a piece of the injector tip breaks off. Either way, it’s a very expensive repair. If they replace the engine they will probably find a used one with equal or lower mileage.
© 24hourcampfire