Home
Posted By: AKCHOPPER Hiding $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.... - 06/08/20
Best place to stash 30k ? I use to keep it in the air ducts with about 30 layers of Alum foil and waterproofed. Would outside buried be safer ?
Asking for a friend. Thanks in advance....I think.... smile

P.S. I'm not interested in a safety deposit box.

P.P.S. I have all my other savings in all the right places.
5.9 Duramax and a quart of Lucas.
Put it where fire can't get to it.
Send it to me. I will guard it with my life. 🥴
lol i'm not going to comment.
Put it in a waterproof bag, stuff bag inside of appropriate sized PVC pipe glue caps on the ends of PVC pipe and keep track of where you buried it.
It's paper. Paper always eventually regresses to it's actual value
First,...convert it into something other than paper.
Toilet tank
Originally Posted by AKCHOPPER
Best place to stash 30k ? I use to keep it in the air ducts with about 30 layers of Alum foil and waterproofed. Would outside buried be safer ?

Originally Posted by Bristoe

That's what I was thinking too. Can't go too far wrong with gold - would take up less space and need less care. Nothing more disappointing than digging up mulch.
I can think of no place on earth where it would be truly safe. If you have to, a Swiss account?
Bitcoin, just don't lose the codes.

Bb
It’s called cold hard cash for a reason, put it in the freezer with a T-bone label.
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Put it in a waterproof bag, stuff bag inside of appropriate sized PVC pipe glue caps on the ends of PVC pipe and keep track of where you buried it.

If your intent on keeping it in cash, then properly wrapped and buried would be my suggestion. Protect it from fire!
Originally Posted by Bristoe

This.
Invest in a no lose opportunity.

Namely.....me!

I need a disc drill and will pay..............4 percent.
Buried...
At night in a well known spot to you that you can always find.
Whether the back yard or miles away.

Cache.........
No kidding huh?
Posted By: k20350 Re: Hiding $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.... - 06/09/20
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I can think of no place on earth where it would be truly safe. If you have to, a Swiss Luxembourg account?

I "know a guy" who had a customer pay me, I mean him, $25,000.00 in $20's about 20 years ago. Sounds great, but then I was like, I mean he was like, what the [bleep] do you do with all of it. Groceries, eating out, vacation, bought a tractor etc. "he" kept it in a zippered bank bag in the closet til it was gone.
Used to be a lot of people would want to pay cash and get a better deal. Haven't had that in a long time though. Cash as payment in a financial transaction is a dying thing. I went to get $10,000 out of my bank on a saturday to buy a piece of equipment that the guy insisted be a cash transaction, and they couldn't produce it. Had to go to the other two branches just to round it up.
We built a cell phone store next to a bank last year, the manager said something that surprised me. He said they'd be stupid to rob the bank next door, that they'd probably only have $100,000 in cash max. The cell phone store had close $1,000,000.00 plus in inventory in the rear in a room that had a steel door, but just drywall walls. You could kick your way into it.
I can think of no place on earth where it would be truly safe. If you have to, a Swiss account?

Swiss accounts are not what they used to be.

There are better options.
Cash and weapons, diversify. Some for immediate access, the rest distributed among trusted friends and family. Perhaps a remote stash of both on public land w/ coordinates known to only to you and trusted heirs.

Pro burglars and narcs will always find your stash in your home. Design your defenses to thwart the druggies and kids and don't live ostentatiously. Disappear in plain sight.

mike r
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Grand Cayman comes to mind.... Plus a couple days on 7 mile beach and beer on the beach at Calico Jack's would be one hell of a way to get away from the Covid/BLM bullshit here in the U.S. Not sure I'd come back to this schithole if I get down there again this summer.
Posted By: DMc Re: Hiding $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.... - 06/09/20
Before the corporations a line of credit in Vegas would have been perfectly safe, confidential an unreported.

I always liked the "Fish Called Wanda" idea. Rough diamonds in an unassuming cheap fish tank with a crummy filter?
Originally Posted by DMc
Before the corporations a line of credit in Vegas would have been perfectly safe, confidential an unreported.

I always liked the "Fish Called Wanda" idea. Rough diamonds in an unassuming cheap fish tank with a crummy filter?

Problem with diamonds is that they are all marked way up for retail sale, so you will pay many times what you'd ever be able to get back for them.
Posted By: Dutch Re: Hiding $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.... - 06/09/20
Originally Posted by jackmountain
I
Used to be a lot of people would want to pay cash and get a better deal. Haven't had that in a long time though. Cash as payment in a financial transaction is a dying thing.

A lot of that went away when the confiscatory tax brackets went away. If you’ve got to give the government 70% of your money, there’s a lot more incentive to do cash than at a 22% tax rate.

But, anymore, most people have almost a phobia about cash. Give them $5K in 50’s and watch them freak out. Any how, keeping more than a decent SHTF stash around seems silly to me. But FWIW, my stash is in plain sight. If the house burns, oh, well.

I have all my other savings in all the right places.

Could be a tear jerk song after she's gone.grin
Posted By: hanco Re: Hiding $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.... - 06/09/20
Put in gold, bury it.
Posted By: jbuck Re: Hiding $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.... - 06/09/20
Throw it in the safe. Idk. I'm sure people have way more then that locked up. Usually in steel and wood or fiberglass.

But if someone had 60k in guns in their safe. What's another 30k in cash?
I ideal in cash as much as possible. Everything I buy that isn't already
public knowledge (utilities, we owe nothing) is paid through a rewards card.
One check, one stamp per month. No willing acres to our accounts electronically. Everything else, gas, food, entertainment... is cash.

No reas on to think anyone cares, but i have the smallest footprint
possible while living in the modern world. You couldn't find a photo
of me online if your life depended on it. Sure I'm in the background
of some, but not posing.

Some gold in small pieces, silver... keep some cash.
Funny, so many have EOTHWAWKI plans and gold.

In a bad situation, you want cash , but in small demonations.
You probably wouldn't be offered change, and flashing hundreds when you need twenties, could be fatal.
Just put the cash in a silicone fire proof bag in the bottom of your fire proof gun safe.
If the time ever comes where you really need it, it won't be worth nearly as much as it is right now, maybe not anything. Turn most of it into something useful.

Put a little in a sealed glass jar, glue it into a pvc pipe and don't forget where it is.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I ideal in cash as much as possible. Everything I buy that isn't already
public knowledge (utilities, we owe nothing) is paid through a rewards card.
One check, one stamp per month. No willing acres to our accounts electronically. Everything else, gas, food, entertainment... is cash.

No reas on to think anyone cares, but i have the smallest footprint
possible while living in the modern world. You couldn't find a photo
of me online if your life depended on it. Sure I'm in the background
of some, but not posing.

Some gold in small pieces, silver... keep some cash.
Funny, so many have EOTHWAWKI plans and gold.

In a bad situation, you want cash , but in small demonations.
You probably wouldn't be offered change, and flashing hundreds when you need twenties, could be fatal.

I like dealing in cash also, but I'm not buying gas with cash. Screw that.
Going on the internet to ask everyone else where they hide their valuables...

LOL.
$30K is a lot of hookers and blow.
If the left gets control, cash will become worthless. All transactions will be computerized.
Posted By: WTF Re: Hiding $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.... - 06/09/20
Get some diversion safes. They look like Campbells soup cans, WD40 cans, and chit like that. Or the big ones that are paint cans.complete with labels.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If the left gets control, cash will become worthless. All transactions will be computerized.
That's what I figure. The U.S. outlawed ownership of gold once and can again. That is what keeps the value of gold down now. The government could just as easy outlaw the ownership and use of silver. Look at your federal reserve notes "legal tender for all debts public and private". You can't require payment in real money, not legal.
The Bible tells of the mark of the beast. No one without the mark will be able to buy and sell. It's not here yet and a lot has to happen before it does, but the mechanism is rapidly being put in place where it can happen. Some kind of chip under the skin or invisible readable tattoo could be used.
I keep it in a big gun safe. Last month I sold a camper to a friend for 15k, when I tried to convert the check to cash you would have thought it was a billion and I was someone deserving of scrutiny. It was absurdly ridiculous.
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Not into Hookers. LOL
Plastic has overtaken cash in almost all places .

I went to pay for recording a deed. It was $14.00 and they were not sure if they could break a fifty . Ended up getting it back and using small bills.
A few years ago I sold a used Tacoma. $15k. Guy paid via Wells Fargo cashiers check.

Went into a local branch to cash the check - I wanted to cash the check........... with cash. Literally, I wanted to cash a Wells Fargo check at a Wells Fargo, for....uhh.... CASH.

The old lady behind the counter got nervous. Started shaking. Like we were fixing to rob the place. Lots of questions. Lots of looks. Lots of stalling. A lot of looking up into cameras.

My wife got a bit irritated and the teller told her to step out of the building, which irritated me. Next thing I know, two employees are on both sides of me - like, security??

An HOUR later I had my cash. 3 or 4 months later I ended up in my new job. Rolling over my hefty 401(k) from Wells Fargo to Park Ave Securities was satisfying.

AZZHOLES.
I like the pvc pipe gadget and bury it . Write down the location somewhere or Maybe store the location electronically.

About a month’s worth if you’re thrifty .
Gold and Silver does not go up in value, and the government is likely to try to control it, same as cash. Longer the cash is buried, the less value it will have. I would invest in something worthwhile. Personally I'd do a money market account, and specify only companies that beat the S&P 500 consistently.
Fire proof gun safes are a joke, I don't care what the rating says. We had part of a town burn up here a few years ago. The clean up crews were making jokes about all the gun safes. Imagine the bed of coals from an entire house then throw your safe in there liked a potato wrapped in tin foil. What's left inside is carbon in its purest form.
I like the Goldfinger plan. Convert it into gold, cast it into car parts, and pimp your ride.
Posted By: Snyper Re: Hiding $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.... - 06/09/20
I've made fake bird houses for "storing" various small items.

They are normal aside from the black screen that covers the inside of the entrance to keep birds and wasps from nesting.

No one ever pays attention to them.
I like it.
True Grit,
We have some stations that actually turn on the pumps without
prepaying. I hate prepay.
Originally Posted by Snyper

They are normal aside from the black screen that covers the inside of the entrance to keep birds and wasps from nesting.

They will now!
Don't be a neanderthal deposit the money in the bank, transfer it to a brokerage account and invest it in the stock market. If you would have done this intelligently 6 weeks ago your $30,000 would be $40,000 by now. As of April 22 Apple is up 38% Carnival cruise is up 94%.
Putting paper money away for hard times is not the best idea. Convert the cast to scrap silver, 12 gauge shells and 22 RF ammo. Hard times paper is paper money is useless not even good a TP.
Prestige Worldwide is looking for some stake holders.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Originally Posted by arkypete
Putting paper money away for hard times is not the best idea. Convert the cast to scrap silver, 12 gauge shells and 22 RF ammo. Hard times paper is paper money is useless not even good a TP.

$30k of shotgun shells would be very unwieldy.

But why would you want to keep that much cash around.
Posted By: jbmi Re: Hiding $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.... - 06/09/20
Went to my local Credit Union (fairly large with about 4 branches) Need 7K to pay a contractor. I cleaned them out of 100's (5K) then cleaned them out of 50's ((2k). Large amounts of money are not kept on hand anymore.
Teller told me if it was 10K I wanted they'd have to report the withdraw to the Fed's.
Hiding cash has it's problems, after X number of years you forget, someone else finds it, it's lost in a fire or flood or tornado. Bank Safety Deposit Box is about as good as it gets.
"Where thieves break in, and steal".
Posted By: sse Re: Hiding $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.... - 06/09/20
it was estimated that at one time el chapo lost $1 mil in cash per month to deterioration and varmints
"Where thieves break in, and steal".

Store up your treasures where that can't happen.
Posted By: Dre Re: Hiding $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.... - 06/09/20
Saw a friend Cut in some double gang or maybe triple gang Remodel J boxes through out the House. Can probably get 5?k if they are large bills into one J box. Install solid Cover plates.

Or just few single J boxes with a plug.
Just hope the thief doesn’t need to plug something in. So keep that plug away from your safe
Posted By: las Re: Hiding $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.... - 06/09/20
Scotch and .22LR in buried, capped ABS pipe.

SHTF, paper is worth nothing beyond the first couple fool's panic days. In other times, both have practical resale value. Gold is only marginally more valuable than cash. Again, it is a commonly agreed percieved value - like greenbacks but prettier and more durable . Can't be eaten tho, and has little everyday practical use for most of us.
What are the dimensions of $30K in 20s?
I heard of a couple that had a gold bar. They painted it red and put it in one of those covers that looked like a chicken. They used it as a door stop for decades.

But why would you want to keep that much cash around.[/quote]

Because....

I had a good friend ask me what he could do with a bunch of cash
he had on hand. At one time, he owned a good business that was
largely cash. At the same time, his wife worked at a job where she was
earning a working man's wages in tips, on weekends. They hid everything possible, he even had a bunch she never knew about (good thing, divorced).

Anyway, he didn't tell me a number, but he mentioned shoeboxes.
Yes, multiple.
And he couldnt just deposits or invest it. It was not exactly legal
money.

Our conversation was 20+ years into a second marriage, and he still
had those shoeboxes. Was always curious how much it was the day
he sold out.
Here you go. No need to thank me.

Two different situations - cash from cash businesses vs. emergency cash. Reading between the lines, I think the OP was talking about emergency cash. As others have noted, in a true national emergency cash may have value for only a couple/few days given what's happened in other countries over the past hundred years. Also as others have noted, that cash depreciates over time, and would even faster in a grave national emergency.

Hope someone will enlighten me if I'm missing something, but the only use I can see for that amount of emergency cash is transportation - either (1) buying transportation and fuel immediately upon the onset of a national emergency or (2) to quickly disappear, get transportation (private plane(s)?) somewhere, and start a new life if one got crossways with the wrong kind of folks. That's probably about the amount of cash needed for the second scenario, but I try to avoid the kind of folks that people run from.
Originally Posted by ironbender

A stack roughly 15 inches tall.
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap
Originally Posted by 12344mag

If your intent on keeping it in cash, then properly wrapped and buried would be my suggestion. Protect it from fire!

Buy a Food Saver and vacuum pack it. Then put it in a water tight container.
Originally Posted by DryPowder

It'll fit in a shoe box. Don't ask me how I know.
I'm afraid it'll mold or rust or something if I don't buy that next gun....
Originally Posted by blindshooter
I'm afraid it'll mold or rust or something if I don't buy that next gun....

It can also burn a hole in your pocket.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Hiding $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.... - 06/09/20
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
Two different situations - cash from cash businesses vs. emergency cash. Reading between the lines, I think the OP was talking about emergency cash. As others have noted, in a true national emergency cash may have value for only a couple/few days given what's happened in other countries over the past hundred years. Also as others have noted, that cash depreciates over time, and would even faster in a grave national emergency.

Hope someone will enlighten me if I'm missing something, but the only use I can see for that amount of emergency cash is transportation - either (1) buying transportation and fuel immediately upon the onset of a national emergency or (2) to quickly disappear, get transportation (private plane(s)?) somewhere, and start a new life if one got crossways with the wrong kind of folks. That's probably about the amount of cash needed for the second scenario, but I try to avoid the kind of folks that people run from.

23yrs ago, big flood in Grand Forks, ND, 50K people mandatory evacuated. My friend owned an essential business and stayed. Due to the flooding, most of town had no electricity and those few businesses that were deemed "essential" and were therefore open, were only dealing in cash as electronic payment methods were sketchy due to the flooding. My friend ended up having to drive 50Mi one way to the next town to find an ATM that would dispense. Everything in town was either out of cash, or unable to communicate.

I know I don't know enough about "Doomsday Scenarios" to know how to be prepared for the end of days, but, some cash on hand to buy a week or 2 worth of groceries or a full tank of fuel sure seems prudent. In fact, I think it's foolish to travel without enough cash to at least buy enough gasoline to get yourself home, wherever that is.

Since anyone that has computer access can
can see this, the birdhouse is now one of the
first places I'd look if I were a crook or a cop.
The cops here always look in toilet tanks, A/C
ducts, phoney electrical outlets, phoney can stash
boxes, sink traps, couch and chair cushions,
pockets of clothes in closets, lots of formerly
smart places to hide when they're doing drug
raids here.

Just me, if I'm going to hide a pile of bills,
It'll be out in the sticks in a non- metallic
container. In a gnarly place where nobody
in their right mind would want to go
Posted By: Dutch Re: Hiding $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.... - 06/09/20

True, but the same thing would be true for money in a bank or even a brokerage account. In a doomsday scenario, it’s all going to heck. The only thing left then is what you can physicall protect from roving gangs.

I learned back in my trucking days that there is a difference between cash and other forms of payment in many scenarios. Having enough Benjamins to pay for a problem will get many a mechanic to come out and roll around in the wet snow at 11 pm. Probably because he can hide it from the wife, ex or the government. I don’t care, I will never be without enough cash to pay for a trip across the country, a substantial car repair or medical expense.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Hiding $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.... - 06/09/20
Buy AMZN.

After the unemployment compensation from the pandemic is paid for with inflation thus robbing savings,........ the original value of the money will still be there.
As far as any SHTF/ TEOTWAWKI scenario, if you're
not already ready and have your food and ammo and
a nearly full gas tank on a ready-to-use vehicle, well
you're more than likely SOL
Trying to run out to Walmart and stock up after the
fact doesn't really work well at all.

I would have figured that that lesson would have
been brought home from all this BS we've put up
with these last few months

Maybe I wasn't clear. I was talking about how I didn't see $30k being useful except in very limited circumstances. Having enough cash to deal with emergencies is imperative (unless you've got something to barter that the person who can help you wants more). However, most of a $30k stash wouldn't be usable under scenarios the vast majority of us would ever encounter, so it's a waste to stash that much unless the person thinks having to quickly disappear is a realistic scenario.
Originally Posted by Dutch

True, but the same thing would be true for money in a bank or even a brokerage account. In a doomsday scenario, it’s all going to heck. The only thing left then is what you can physicall protect from roving gangs.

I learned back in my trucking days that there is a difference between cash and other forms of payment in many scenarios. Having enough Benjamins to pay for a problem will get many a mechanic to come out and roll around in the wet snow at 11 pm. Probably because he can hide it from the wife, ex or the government. I don’t care, I will never be without enough cash to pay for a trip across the country, a substantial car repair or medical expense.

This ^^^^^^ .... Back when I traveled on a regular basis, especially outside the U.S., I always had several crisp new Benjamins in the back of my wallet. Called it my "Get out of Dodge" money.
Damn straight on the emergency get home fund.
Started long haul trucking at 21, didn't even have a checking account then.
Soon had a credit card with a limit that would buy me a cheap car if need be,
always had several hundred, just in case, and an atm card . I was always determined that no matter where i was, or what my company said, i could get home.
No depending on anyone, i had resources on me, now.

A later job had me working for a company that also did towing off the
Pa Turnpike. Amazing the people that needed a tire or alternator, and couldn't come up with $200. In the middle of a big trip, and barely had adequate gas money. No cash card, no checks, no credit card. Sit in the parking lot for 2 days trying to get repair money, while eating the little cash they had.
Some, I pitied, most where just stupid.
Without going through the whole thread--Has anyone mentioned Bank Safe deposit box? Technically illegal, but everyone does it.

The Swiss option is not on the table. Swiss won't do business with Americans anymore due to nosy IRS.
I say, hide it in the Rocky Mountains then write a poem to help you remember where you hid it. You can share the poem with Fire friends and see how well you hid it.
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
I say, hide it in the Rocky Mountains then write a poem to help you remember where you hid it. You can share the poem with Fire friends and see how well you hid it.

There once was a man from Nantucket....
Posted By: Snyper Re: Hiding $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.... - 06/09/20
Originally Posted by Ranger99

Since anyone that has computer access can
can see this, the birdhouse is now one of the
first places I'd look if I were a crook or a cop.
The cops here always look in toilet tanks, A/C
ducts, phoney electrical outlets, phoney can stash
boxes, sink traps, couch and chair cushions,
pockets of clothes in closets, lots of formerly
smart places to hide when they're doing drug
raids here.

Just me, if I'm going to hide a pile of bills,
It'll be out in the sticks in a non- metallic
container. In a gnarly place where nobody
in their right mind would want to go

I'm not the least bit concerned with anyone finding my birdhouses from a comment they read here.
Follow Sheldon Cooper's example.

Ship to yourself,------FedEx
For all these shtf scenarios, why would you want emergency money tied up in the stock market? It will be losing exponential value every second it's in there and you won't be able to get it.

Plus when the bed wetters take over, the market is going to be the last place you want your money.
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
I heard of a couple that had a gold bar. They painted it red and put it in one of those covers that looked like a chicken. They used it as a door stop for decades.

How would you go about breaking the gold bar up to buy a hundred or even a few hundred dollars worth of food or gas, or, or, or?

Just wondering.

MM
Buy a trailer load of charmin and hand soap and corn meal for the next coroney scare this fall, convert that 30 into 60 easy
I cannot think of a good reason to keep 30k cash on hand like that. If it gets to the point that you will need it, there is a high probability it will be useless at that time.
My bank typically carries around $175,000 in cash at each branch every day. I’m Chairman of The Board.
Originally Posted by Godogs57
My bank typically carries around $175,000 in cash at each branch every day. I’m Chairman of The Board.

Then why did I have to come back the next day to get $50K cash from Wells Fargo when Trump stopped travel from China?
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Originally Posted by Godogs57

Then why did I have to come back the next day to get $50K cash from Wells Fargo when Trump stopped travel from China?

And if you suggest that banks are not our friends then the campfire will come down on you like Texas Hail.
Posted By: sse Re: Hiding $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.... - 06/10/20
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

How would you go about breaking the gold bar up to buy a hundred or even a few hundred dollars worth of food or gas, or, or, or?

Just wondering.

MM

tie up your horse, mosey into the saloon and throw a nugget on the bar
H O O K E R S

A N D

B L O W
Cash is king...
H O O K E R S

A N D

B L O W

Fishing.
Instant coffee will be worth its weight in gold when society implodes.

P

Keep it close, in a charger.
If I had $20 cash I'd hollow out a pick handle and stick it in there. Nobody steals a pick.

I knew a guy that had 1000 ounce comex silver bars that he used as doorstops in each room of his basement. He told people it was bullet casting lead.

I had 6000 ounces of eagles in monster boxes under the bed at my house in 2009. Was having a party and so.e girl went in there snooping around and then came out and told everyone that I had boxes that said us mint full of money under my bed.

I had to get a bunch of safe deposit boxes and started selling it off that weekend. I was sure I was going to get robbed after that but luckily robbery doesn't happen too often in Rexburg. Wish I still had that silver but Dave Ramsey told me to sell it. I kept a few safe deposit boxes of it. I had to buy bulk back then to get low premiums.

Bb
68# bars of Ag? Wow!
Originally Posted by killahog
Don't be a neanderthal deposit the money in the bank, transfer it to a brokerage account and invest it in the stock market. If you would have done this intelligently 6 weeks ago your $30,000 would be $40,000 by now. As of April 22 Apple is up 38% Carnival cruise is up 94%.

I have all of that...I'm talking about cold hard cash Homey.....LOL
Convert to Silver Coin.

Put them in PVC pipe.
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Hiding $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.... - 06/10/20
Originally Posted by DryPowder

I figured about 12.5” if they’re fresh and not horribly worn.
The oldtimers berried it in a glass jar in the backyard..
After this thread, thieves will be stealing cans of Campbell soup, WD-40, doorstops and picks among other things.
© 24hourcampfire