Home
Posted By: Reba Tablet with GPS??? - 06/09/20
Is anyone using a Tablet as a GPS?

I would like to use a Tablet as a GPS where there is no WiFi. Is this possible?

Not talking about a city street type GPS, but a wilderness type GPS with a map back ground, such as OnX.

Will I need an external antenna or other stuff?
Posted By: ppfd Re: Tablet with GPS??? - 06/09/20
Apple iPad
Posted By: AKwolverine Re: Tablet with GPS??? - 06/09/20
Originally Posted by ppfd
Apple iPad

iPad or iphone, must have cellular capability. Yes, it works in areas without cell coverage. Have been using an iPad as a backup chart plotter in remote waters for several years.
Posted By: MuskegMan Re: Tablet with GPS??? - 06/09/20

My son was doing some crazy col stuff on his Android phone here in AK.

If you have no cell service you need to preload topo maps and aerials ahead of time.
Posted By: fishnnut Re: Tablet with GPS??? - 06/09/20
I use the Samsung SM-T380 with Backcountry Navigator when riding the RZR in the WV hills. Works pretty good.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Tablet with GPS??? - 06/09/20
Can be done. Google "usb gps module" and see what you think. I didn't read past the first page. Mapping software I wouldn't even guess.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Tablet with GPS??? - 06/09/20
Until you said "not as a road thing" I had a suggestion. I have a car GPS that also doubles as a minimal tablet. It's very useful at times because I can use it to find things like a hotel, and then use it to make a reservation. Android-based. It's a Rand McNally (the maps are great) OverDryve 7c.
Posted By: outahere Re: Tablet with GPS??? - 06/09/20
You can use an IPad with OnX provided you download maps of your region, preferably using wifi, before you go. With good cell reception you can access maps on the fly but if your reception is not 4 bars + you will struggle. I sometimes use my IPad on local hunts where I have maps permanently loaded but in remote areas where you have not previously downloaded maps, it is not a very good option.
Posted By: SeanD Re: Tablet with GPS??? - 06/10/20
Yeah it’s easy. Most (all?) android tablets, iPad with cellular (you have to have the cellular version to get the built in GPS) , or WiFi only iPad with external antenna. You don’t need reception.

I used an old Samsung $200 tablet years ago, now I’m using an iPad with an external Garmin GLO gps reciever. I used the old Samsung tablet For street navigation for a month in Europe through a ton of different countries with no cellular reception, just downloaded maps on the HERE app was awesome. I use it in my boat as a chart plotter, and in my truck for mapping and navigation in hunt units with roads with GAIA.

Lots of guys do this, truck, boat, and airplane.
Posted By: SeanD Re: Tablet with GPS??? - 06/10/20
About the chart plotter, it’s kind of funny.

Cost is proportional to screen size, so a real chart plotter with a good size screen is big bucks.

The navionics app for my tablet was $10.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Tablet with GPS??? - 06/10/20
One thing about external receivers, the GPS standard for communications is asynchronous serial which means a serial computer port. Make sure the ports match. For a long time now USB has been replacing serial com ports. My old Garmin handheld interfaces with my old computer easily enough but I would need a serial to USB dongle for this computer.
Posted By: KRAKMT Re: Tablet with GPS??? - 06/10/20
I have been wanting to do this for awhile but have not pulled the trigger on a new iPad.
My brothers both have garmins with onX which work okay but are battery sucks.
The iPad with an extra cordless tool battery should last all day.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Tablet with GPS??? - 06/10/20
I've used our old Samsung Galaxy Tab A with Onx while 4 wheeling. The program works fine offline but this tablet is sooo slow. A faster tablet would be much less frustrating. Also, it has poor screen resolution so smaller roads and trails will disappear when you zoom out for bigger look at the country.
A newer model would likely work very well.

You don't need any kind of antenna. With OnX, download the maps you want at home with WIFI. Then switch Onx to offline. The maps work great with no cell service or wifi. Your only limiting factor is battery life.
Posted By: Kodiakisland Re: Tablet with GPS??? - 06/10/20
My mini ipad is what I use for GPS when flying and it works great off line.

The only concern I would have is power. You're going to need an external battery source or ability to charge.
Posted By: Reba Re: Tablet with GPS??? - 06/10/20
On X told me I could use a tablet or cellphone for the same cost.
© 24hourcampfire