Home

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Without me, my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will ...

My rifle and I know that what counts in war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit ...

My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will ...

Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and I are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!

300 WSM Ruger Frontier compact nicknamed,,,,"mighty mouse"............

338-378 Wby Accumark nicknamed,,,,,,,"da beast"..........

The other two haven't come with any nicknames yet.
Henry.
I always heard that if you have to name a piece of equipment, it’s because it’s a piece of crap.

Like a POS car, ol bessie, the tank, the bomb or leakin lena.

I did know an old retired army 1st sergeant, every time he showed me one of his rifles, it was “Old Bertha” , see him on a return service call, him want to show me another rifle...its name Big Bertha”

I just thought he was a fruitcake. What the F is a “Bertha” anyway? Sounds like an old fat ugly whore.
Originally Posted by slumlord
I always heard that if you have to name a piece of equipment, it’s because it’s a piece of crap.

I did know an old retired army 1st Sargent, every time he showed me one of his rifles, it was “Old Bertha” , see him on a return service call, him want to show me another rifle...its name Big Bertha”

I just thought he was a fruitcake. What the F is a “Bertha” anyway? Sounds like an old fat ugly whore.
............lol....POS? Not with my two nicknamed rifles. But I see your point!
. What the F is a “Bertha” anyway? .

I believe it’s one of the Butt sisters. She was the big one.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

I thought Beulah was the bigger one.
I don't name my rifles. I simply call them what they are....Ruger, Tikka, Winchester, Savage, Remington.....
Originally Posted by persiandog

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Without me, my rifle is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will ...

My rifle and I know that what counts in war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit ...

My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will keep my rifle clean and ready, even as I am clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will ...

Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and I are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!

I thought that Private Pyle's weapon was named, "Charlene".

That reminds me.....

Kimberly was my favorite flag girl.
My favorite rifle, a Ruger M77 in .257 Roberts is "Little Ned". Nothing else in the safe has a name. I'm kind of fond of that one.
i would name .257 roberts :Bob
Originally Posted by horse1

I thought that Private Pyle's weapon was named, "Charlene".

I have more than one rifle
Goldberg

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]public photo upload
I’ve not normally been one to name rifles but do often refer to my 400 Whelen as the Colonel.
Never named a rifle, but if I did I'd name my .257 . . . . Dr Death.
Originally Posted by stomatador

"Betty Butt, Bella Butt, and BATHSHEBA Butt!"
I don't name my rifles, but do name some of my boats. All boats are supposed to be female anyway, right?

But mine are named stuff like "dead duck" (paint scheme) and "Smallmouth Special" (interior configuration) and the "Blue Boat" (paint again)
I never named any of my rifles but guys at the camp called my 308, Doom.
No named after anyone rifles here; although the one that I won in a gun raffle gets called my "lucky gun". And I always refer to my sporterized Swedish Mauser as "The Swede", and the 257 Weatherby is "The Bee". Buddy of mine does have a 257 Roberts which, of course, is "Bob".
Mine came with names already. Marlin, Winchester, Ruger, Savage, Weatherby. Perfectly good names for rifles I think.
Originally Posted by hatari

I thought it was Bertha Butt, Betty Butt and Bathsheba Butt?
Ok my fellow trolodytes!!! Here you go! This will settle it!

Don't name my guns. I do name my fishing reels. Rose & Carli with two others yet to be decided upon.
I name all mine the same....

Piece of chit
One name for all my rifles: Miss Often.
Ol’ Lazarus is my rebuilt government contract rifle with a Harpers Ferry lock and a bore freshed out to 32 balls to the pound! Raised from the dead! Just like Ol’ Lazarus was.

Ol’ Whiskey is my new 1792 contract rifle, so named for the first conflict they was first reported used in. The Whiskey Rebellion.
Buddy had a semiauto 30-06 Browning he called the "Dago Meat Chopper"
Originally Posted by Blacktail308
Originally Posted by hatari

I thought it was Bertha Butt, Betty Butt and Bathsheba Butt?

Bertha's sistas - Betty, Bella, and Bathsheba. Thinking Bathsheba was weighed at the truck stop.

BLOODY MARY Rio7
I couldn’t think of that many names.
The .50 caliber flintlock chunk gun I use at the annual Alvin York memorial "meat shoot" already had a name when I traded for it. Out of respect for it's late former owner, I'll continue to call it "Old T-Bone". So far all I've won with it is hamburger, but that's the fault of the shooter, not the gun!
Jerry
Depends upon how long I've been in the bush/mountains.
I named the bee “The Bee” ,friends named the old BPS Black Death
Never named a rifle, handgun, shotgun or boat. Have named all my dogs and most of my kids.
The .45-70 is named Thumper.
The .416R is Truck Gun.
The Ithaca 37 is Doom.
The Win 50 is Red Cloud.
The Sneezer is....

I could go on and on and on.

I did know an old retired army 1st sergeant, every time he showed me one of his rifles, it was “Old Bertha” , see him on a return service call, him want to show me another rifle...its name Big Bertha”

"Bertha Butt Boogie…….
In the morning mine is 'baby',walking back to the truck w/out a kill it becomes 'you heavy MFer. My wife's is named 'ucarryit'.

mike r
Never named any of mine, but an old friend called his favorite, the grocery machine. 100% in agreement with DD on the Ithaca 37

It is a generational thing specific to WW1 in reference to German guns.
The parlance still lingers and is recognised by older Service members.

Big Bertha

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]
I name children and pets. Like others on here I do not name my firearms. I do have a 2004 Ford ranger that I've begun to refer as "Mr. Spooky" as I'm convinced there is paranormal activity in play.

Death from Afar.......

6.5x55

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
If I'm hunting big critters here in Maine I break out
" BULLDICK"]
got a very old single shot .22 that only shoots shorts cuz LRs blow the bolt open. My dad bought it as a kid for a buck and it spent years as a trapline dispatcher. For as many years as I can recall it's been called "Pee Wee". There are a very few guns that will never be for sale. Pee Wee is one.
Blondie is what i call my 30-06. Bet you can't guess why!
Only named a few.

One is the 7.5 in.pistol ar15 it's name is Dragon because of the noise and fire it puts out.

The other is an older Mex.Mauser rifle i re-chambered in 7x57,it's name is Black Beauty because it was completely painted in black enamel paint.

The other rifles are just called by their chamberings.

One of the butt sisters.
My most carried rifle a pre-64 mod 70 in 358 Norma magnum was called Norma Jean by all my cohorts!
Butt sisters,,,,, LOL!
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
I don't name my rifles. I simply call them what they are....Ruger, Tikka, Winchester, Savage, Remington.....

What he said.
I've taken to calling my Swedish Mauser "Old iron sights". It's the only one I've got something like a name for.
Miss Dagin
Only 1 named by me.

After SEVERAL years of consistently killing deer (bucks & does), my Rem M Six 270 Win became Ole Meat In The Pot.

The ONLY other one was named by Winchester - MY 300 W M, = " Black Shadow ", very appropriate.
Originally Posted by persiandog
i would name .257 roberts :Bob

Ned Roberts
I've never named any of my firearms
My 77/44 is named Splat.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
My 77/44 is named Splat.

Handload some 180 grain Gold Dots made to open at 44 Special velocities, and launch them at 44 magnum velocities. It's pretty silly!
The .45-70 is named Thumper.
The .416R is Truck Gun.
The Ithaca 37 is Doom.
The Win 50 is Red Cloud.
The Sneezer is....

I could go on and on and on.

DD:

The rifle that I use in Alaska and Colorado elk hunting is named Thompson Center (T/C) Icon Weathershield 30-06.
The rifle that I use for antelope and Coues Deer is named T/C Venture 25-06.
The rifle that I use for varmints like prairie dogs is named T/C Icon Precision Hunter .223.
I have a Savage model 93 .22Magnum I call Savage 93 .22magmun.

I could also go on but what would be the point?

I gave names to my children but, I don't give names to my rifles or any other tools that I own. I own a cordless drill that I call cordless drill.

KC
I started calling my Ruger 77 in 7mm Rem Mag “The Lightening Rod” cause it killed deer “outta the blue”, but it’s just “the 7 Mag” now.
Only other thing I ever named was “Henry The Ford”, a not so mild mannered ‘71 Galaxy 4 door. “Henry” is still recalled by friends for his ability to jump through covered bridges and for his hubcap tossing donuts. That car had more personality/soul than anything else I’ve ever drove.
7mm

My 270
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
My 77/44 is named Splat.

Handload some 180 grain Gold Dots made to open at 44 Special velocities, and launch them at 44 magnum velocities. It's pretty silly!

It’s even sillier when you load 300 gr paper patched pure lead. laugh
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This one is the only one I named. Its name is engraved on the floorplate

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
KC, work on it a little bit, you can do mo better.

My TC .22 short is named Pig Popper. The .17 Zimmerstutzen is called Zimmer ‘cause I don’t speak German clearly. Hell, I’ve even named other people’s guns. The NVA’s 12.7mm for example was Ho Li Chitt!!!
That’s skookum.
© 24hourcampfire