Home
Posted By: RoninPhx flagstaff az. - 06/15/20
even in flagstaff you have this lunacy
https://docs.google.com/document/d/...voC7Jnd2NZz8ZLSP434KmTjSqSqz1q6EHY-bG9JE

The creators of this document are community members who are committed to imagining what Flagstaff will look like without policing. In an effort to address and abolish white supremacy in our community, we are seeking to begin serious conversations around defunding the Flagstaff Police Department. These demands remain a framework for imagining a Flagstaff without state-sanctioned violence toward our Indigenous, Black, and Brown neighbors; they are a way to sustain dialogue in our community around abolishing policing.

Before reading: Below you will find clear and organized talking points below that were directly adapted from 8toabolition.com and the #8toAbolition Campaign. These eight abolitionist demands have been adapted and contextualized for our community, with details attached to allow activists throughout Flagstaff to clearly demand that our City Council defunds the Flagstaff Police Department. These demands were not created by the owners of the Black Lives Matter Flagstaff Solidarity Action Group.

Please use this as a framework to write emails and scripted phone calls to the following elected officials: [email protected].

To submit a comment to be read at the public hearing on June 16th email [email protected]

Defund Flagstaff PD
We demand that Flagstaff City Council immediately retract all funding to be provided to Flagstaff Police Department.
We demand that Flagstaff City Council defunds the Flagstaff Police Department and uses the additional $24.7 million to demilitarize Flagstaff PD, provide additional funds to Flagstaff Unified School District to implement a district-wide restorative justice framework[1], provide and invest in community self-governance, provide safe housing for ALL Flagstaff residents, and invest in community-wide initiatives for free and accessible mental health services.
We demand that Flagstaff City Council reject any further proposed expansion to the Flagstaff Police Department’s budget or expenditures.
We demand that Flagstaff City Council begins by reducing Flagstaff Police Department’s budget in the 2020-2021 fiscal year beginning with a 50% reduction of funds. We demand the City Council of Flagstaff to pass a yearly budget reduction that will decrease the Flagstaff Police Department’s funding completely by the year 2024.
Demilitarize Flagstaff PD and Our Community
We demand that Flagstaff City Council immediately disarms all law enforcement in the city of Flagstaff, including the Flagstaff Police Department, private security, and school resource officers in the Flagstaff Unified School District.
We demand that Flagstaff City Council immediately retracts all funding for munitions or weaponry for the Flagstaff Police Department. We demand that Flagstaff City Council removes all currently supplied munitions and weapons from the Flagstaff Police Department.
We demand that the Flagstaff City Council stops accepting federal funding or assistance for the militarization of the Flagstaff Police Department.
We demand that the Flagstaff City Council immediately repeal all laws that allow, hide, or excuse any use of force or misconduct by the Flagstaff Police Department.
End Coconino County Sheriff's Office Collaboration with Immigration and Custom Enforcement
We demand that Sheriff Jim Driscoll stops accepting unconstitutional ICE Detainers from Immigration Custom Enforcement.
We demand that the Coconino County Sheriff's Office stops cooperating with Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
Remove Police from Flagstaff Unified School District, #CounselorsNotCops.
We demand that the City of Flagstaff immediately demands a removal of all police from Flagstaff Unified School District schools.
We demand that the City of Flagstaff dissolves its relationship and collaboration with Northern Arizona University’s campus police.
We demand that the Flagstaff City Council demands an end to Flagstaff Unified School District’s Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS) disciplinary model in favor of initiating a district-wide restorative justice framework. We demand that the Flagstaff City Council provides funding to the Flagstaff Unified School District to begin to plan for and later implement a district-wide restorative justice framework.
Free People from Jails and Prisons
We demand that the Flagstaff Police Department permanently closes all local jails.
We demand that the Flagstaff Police Department immediately frees all people currently in local detention, beginning with our Indigenous and undocumented community members.
We demand that the Flagstaff Police Department immediately halts the possibility of arrests in Flagstaff, Arizona.
We demand that the Flagstaff Police Department ends pretrial detention and immediately releases all detainees who are awaiting trial or are being held on parole violations.
We demand that the City of Flagstaff makes all communication (i.e. phone calls) from the Coconino County Detention Facility free and unlimited for all detainees.
Repeal Laws That Criminalize Survival
We demand that the Flagstaff City Council immediately repeals Flagstaff City Ordinance 6-01-001-0022 to allow the legalization of public camping for our homeless community members.
We demand that the Flagstaff City Council immediately allocates $1 million in additional funding to be provided to Flagstaff Shelter Services.
We demand that Flagstaff City Council immediately repeals all laws and local ordinances that criminalize the occupation of public spaces, especially in reference to our homeless community members.
We demand that the City of Flagstaff and the Flagstaff Police Department absolve all fines and fees associated with the criminal legal process.
Invest In Community Self-Governance
We demand that the City of Flagstaff and the Flagstaff Police Department increase the frequency at which they meet and communicate with the Citizens Liaison Committee.
We demand that the Flagstaff City Council holds an online open forum during which Flagstaff community members can openly voice their concern over police brutality and policing in the city of Flagstaff. Flagstaff Police Department and Flagstaff City Council must be in attendance and unpermitted to speak.
We demand that the Flagstaff City Council establish four neighborhood councils as representative bodies within municipal decision making in addition to the Citizens Liaison Committee.
We demand that the Flagstaff City Council launch an immediate assessment of community needs to provide data for investing in community-based resources.
We demand that the Flagstaff City Council invest additional funding from the removal of the Flagstaff Police Department into community-based public safety approaches that are non-violent and non-carceral.
Provide Safe Housing for Everyone
We demand that the Flagstaff City Council cancels rent and all mortgages in Flagstaff, Arizona without burden of repayment throughout the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic.
We demand that Flagstaff City Council repurposes all empty buildings, houses, apartments, and hotels to our homeless community. Such buildings should be immediately resigned to the control of Flagstaff Shelter Services.
We demand that Flagstaff Shelter Services ends its functioning relationship with Flagstaff Police Department and begins to address issues of racism and discrimination in their organization.
We demand that the Flagstaff City Council provides unequivocal financial support to all refugees and undocumented persons in our municipality.
We demand that the Flagstaff City Council immediately establishes permanent and adequate housing for all displaced or homeless Indigenous peoples in Flagstaff, Arizona. We demand that this housing project is controlled and planned by Indigenous Liaison Rose Toehe.
Invest In Care Not Cops
We demand that the Flagstaff City Council immediately allocates funding from the Flagstaff Police Department’s budget to establish free and accessible healthcare facilities.
We demand that the Flagstaff City Council immediately establishes two detoxing facilities throughout the City of Flagstaff to provide a non-carceral solution to public intoxication for all Flagstaff residents.
We demand that Flagstaff City Council allocates funding from the Flagstaff Police Department to provide additional funding to Flagstaff Unified School District to hire additional counselors at every public school.
Posted By: DeadHead Re: flagstaff az. - 06/15/20
Not surprising, Flagstaff is kinda like a mini Seattle.
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: flagstaff az. - 06/15/20
Terminal stupidity.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: flagstaff az. - 06/15/20
"We Demand ....!!!"

Standard instructions by the communists to the running dog capitalist pigs. mad

L.W.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: flagstaff az. - 06/15/20
This should go over good with victims rights groups,eh?
We demand that the Flagstaff Police Department ends pretrial detention and immediately releases all detainees who are awaiting trial or are being held on parole violations.

and this might just be about the only thing that sorta makes some sense, as jailing them never has seemed to have any effect. Perhaps detox and introduce them to available treatment options. Maybe better than taking up space in a cell?

We demand that the Flagstaff City Council immediately establishes two detoxing facilities throughout the City of Flagstaff to provide a non-carceral solution to public intoxication for all Flagstaff residents.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: flagstaff az. - 06/15/20
i put that link on a local fb page in my home town. in ten minutes or so at leas50 hits, till they pulled it. probably expect to get banned shortly.
oh well.
Posted By: mohave_mauler1 Re: flagstaff az. - 06/15/20
Wont go anywhere, maybe they can get the Navaho nation to fund the detox facility. Might save some lives.
Posted By: Raeford Re: flagstaff az. - 06/15/20
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
i put that link on a local fb page in my home town. in ten minutes or so at leas50 hits, till they pulled it. probably expect to get banned shortly.
oh well.

Maybe Olive Cunny will make a return.....or that FOX dude! LMAO
Posted By: ShaunRyan Re: flagstaff az. - 06/15/20
"Community self-policing."

This from people who won't even practice the common courtesy of returning shopping carts at the grocery store--or at least parking them in the little cart-corrals--because there's no law demanding that they do so and no prescribed punishment if they do not, despite the fact that it is simply the right thing to do. I don't see self-policing ever happening in this me-bubble society. It's not easy and convenient, and there's little to no opportunity for narcissistic self-aggrandizement via selfies and tweets.

I also don't see police departments at any level giving up one cent of funding--local, state, or federal--without a serious fight. They're just like any other publicly funded organization or official; the top priority is the maintenance and expansion of the official's or organization's power and influence, and the budget must be bigger every year. They may use prettier, more professional language and produce impressive sounding mission statements, but in the end they want the same free TVs the thugs, er, protesters do.
Posted By: fgold767 Re: flagstaff az. - 06/15/20
Just absurd.......just unfreaking absurd...........
Posted By: Ejp1234 Re: flagstaff az. - 06/15/20
I visited Flagstaff last year for a few days. I remember telling myself it might have been the whitest place I’ve ever been. There was a few Indians, but it was extremely white.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: flagstaff az. - 06/15/20
Originally Posted by Ejp1234
I visited Flagstaff last year for a few days. I remember telling myself it might have been the whitest place I’ve ever been. There was a few Indians, but it was extremely white.

you didn't look hard enough, more than a few indians wander through there.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: flagstaff az. - 06/15/20
Originally Posted by DeadHead

More like a mini (very mini) Austin.

Surprisingly good University. Great town to live in. 4 Seasons. Bear and Lion tags over the counter. Close to Grand Canyon. 2 hours to International airport. Supports a CAL Ranch and a Sportsman's Warehouse, as well as 2 independent gun stores, an archery shop and Gary Reeder.

2 Walmarts and 3 McDonalds! Got to love that! Nobody in MT has got that I reckon!

100" of snow a year, 300 days of blue sky. Fishing sucks. But I hate to fish, so that works out!

Trauma 1 Hospital and a ski area. Every kind of elementary school from a Tri-Lingual public school to k-12 Basis School.

All kind of people. smart ones, dumb ones, in-between ones. 2 public high schools and 3 charter high schools, at least.

Good Mexican food. Good Pizza. Steak places, hamburger places, couple of locally owned diners.

If I won the lottery, I wouldn't move.
Posted By: AKA_Spook Re: flagstaff az. - 06/16/20

Originally Posted by Sycamore

Surprisingly good University. Great town to live in. 4 Seasons. Bear and Lion tags over the counter. Close to Grand Canyon. 2 hours to International airport. Supports a CAL Ranch and a Sportsman's Warehouse, as well as 2 independent gun stores, an archery shop and Gary Reeder.

2 Walmarts and 3 McDonalds! Got to love that! Nobody in MT has got that I reckon!

100" of snow a year, 300 days of blue sky. Fishing sucks. But I hate to fish, so that works out!

Trauma 1 Hospital and a ski area. Every kind of elementary school from a Tri-Lingual public school to k-12 Basis School.

All kind of people. smart ones, dumb ones, in-between ones. 2 public high schools and 3 charter high schools, at least.

Good Mexican food. Good Pizza. Steak places, hamburger places, couple of locally owned diners.

every once in a while you post something that makes you seem completely normal.
this is a near perfect assessment of Flagstaff. Dont forget meteor crater is nearby.
Posted By: antlers Re: flagstaff az. - 06/16/20
I love Flagstaff. I stay there and use it as a base to operate out of to climb and hike all over that part of the state...from Grand Canyon down to Sedona.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: flagstaff az. - 06/16/20
my relationship with flag goes back through family to the1800's. my dad remembered the first auto in flag, scared all the livestock.
my grandfather had a pair of mules and a buckboard.
it's gotten a little more civilized these days i remember as a kid the drunk navajo's fighting on rte 66, navajo women just lifting their skirts on the street to do a pee, but i also went to NaU which sycamore was talking about in the late 60's and early 70's our version of peace and love.
i had hair down to my shoulder till i met this little mormon girl, she said i would need a haircut and shave to get anywhere with her. i did and i did.
it had it's hippy element deriving from the school even then.
Posted By: Seafire Re: flagstaff az. - 06/16/20
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
"We Demand ....!!!"

Standard instructions by the communists to the running dog capitalist pigs. mad

L.W.

I DEMAND that when anywhere defunds the police department that people are allowed the right to shoot activists, looters, leftist, communists, Antifa Punks...
they could care less what i DEMAND, so In return I could care less what they DEMAND...

They are communist within our borders and out upon our Streets...

Communists need to be treated like communist...

and if they utilize violence to get their way, then they need to be ....
Posted By: DeadHead Re: flagstaff az. - 06/16/20

Been there many times, my comment was more about the high percentage of hipsters and other morons in the city limits. Surrounding area is awesome though
Posted By: Sycamore Re: flagstaff az. - 06/16/20
everybody loves it, even hipsters and morons.

why wouldn't they? they probably like it for the mountain biking, health food stores, climbing, breweries, and hairy legged hippie chicks!

To each his own!

Should have gone to LaFonda for the Special of the Day, whatever it is. You will say a lot about La Fonda, including great food and cheap drinks...but you won't say "extremely white" grin
Posted By: Valsdad Re: flagstaff az. - 06/16/20

Good Decent Mexican food. Good Pizza. Steak places, hamburger places, couple of locally owned diners.

There you go, I fixed it for you!

Unfortunately, Flagstaff has been "found", that big development on the West side north of the freeway is really going to help traffic up that way, eh?

Other than the traffic though, it's not really a bad place to hang out.
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: flagstaff az. - 06/16/20
Good Pizza.

I prefer Fat Olive's but like Oregano's pretty well, too.
Posted By: Morewood Re: flagstaff az. - 06/16/20
My favorite "Demand" is this little gem
We demand that the Flagstaff City Council holds an online open forum during which Flagstaff community members can openly voice their concern over police brutality and policing in the city of Flagstaff. Flagstaff Police Department and Flagstaff City Council must be in attendance and unpermitted to speak.

Translation: We want you kneeling before us, unable to speak or defend yourself while we scream in your face spraying you with spittle.

I'd lol if I was in a better mood.
Posted By: flagstaff Re: flagstaff az. - 06/16/20
I read in the local Flagstaff paper that the City Council listened to 3 hours of public comment regarding defunding the Police Department. If I recall correctly, like 132 folks said do not defund the Police while 32 were in support of it. I recall the Council NOT defunding the Police, but were in favor of some Police reforms.

Flagstaff was a nice place 30 years ago. I have lived here quite a bit of those 30 years, but many of the reasons I moved here are gone. I did raise my daughters here, which was good as I live out in the country and never locked my house doors, but they moved away to go to college.
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Good Decent Mexican food. Good Pizza. Steak places, hamburger places, couple of locally owned diners.

Unfortunately, Flagstaff has been "found", that big development on the West side north of the freeway is really going to help traffic up that way, eh?

Geno,

I should have said, Good Sonoran Style Mexican food, flavored by 100 years of being in Arizona.

All the new stuff is from further south, but the old places were founded by the children of woodcutters, miners and cowboys that came up from Sonora.

God knows what traffic will be like if they sell all the lots they want to. the good news (for traffic) is all the college targeted apartment blocks seem half empty (although they are building another one)
Posted By: add Re: flagstaff az. - 06/16/20

Glad you didn't stay.

The demographics and crime rate would have rose.
Posted By: Ejp1234 Re: flagstaff az. - 06/16/20
Originally Posted by add

Glad you didn't stay.

The demographics and crime rate would have rose.

I wont reside in towns where dog foods made...

Im way more rural than that...
Posted By: Valsdad Re: flagstaff az. - 06/16/20
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Geno,

I should have said, Good Sonoran Style Mexican food, flavored by 100 years of being in Arizona.

All the new stuff is from further south, but the old places were founded by the children of woodcutters, miners and cowboys that came up from Sonora.

God knows what traffic will be like if they sell all the lots they want to. the good news (for traffic) is all the college targeted apartment blocks seem half empty (although they are building another one)

I just pick on you folks that think that AZ food is "Mexican".

Them New Mexicans are worse. Their food has been flavored by 400 years of mixing Spaniars, Indians, and Mexicans! And they want to ask silly questions like " Red or green sir" all the time. grin

I'm just spoiled by San Diego/ Northern Baja style food I guess. I got lucky and found a place up in K Falls that makes an asada burrito San Diego style. Carne asada, pico salsa, and guacamole in one of the giant flour tortillas. No friggen rice and beans and "fillers". No sauce all over it either, pick it up and eat it with your hands like a proper burrito! And, best of all maybe, only $6.95! So big I get two meals out of it.

My bro is not going to be happy if all those new student places fill up. He's already having a hard time getting to the other side of town because students to wait to group up before pushing the crosswalk lights, they're all looking at their phones and just cross as single and pairs.

He's not happy about the empty land behind his place being turned into a "glamping" resort. Figures his deer visitors will vacate the area.

Not this fall, but maybe next fall I put in for a hunt up that way again. We'll try some of that food.
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook
2 Walmarts and 3 McDonalds! Got to love that! Nobody in MT has got that I reckon!100" of snow a year, 300 days of blue sky. Fishing sucks. But I hate to fish, so that works out!Trauma 1 Hospital and a ski area. Every kind of elementary school from a Tri-Lingual public school to k-12 Basis School.All kind of people. smart ones, dumb ones, in-between ones. 2 public high schools and 3 charter high schools, at least.Good Mexican food. Good Pizza. Steak places, hamburger places, couple of locally owned diners.If I won the lottery, I wouldn't move.
every once in a while you post something that makes you seem completely normal.
this is a near perfect assessment of Flagstaff. Dont forget meteor crater is nearby.
The Exception That Proves The Rule!
i had that southern cal baja style mexican food once or twice, but it isn't home cooking like sycamore is talking about. used to be two places i would hit in flag. one was on the old road going west to hit the freeway, the other was right near the north end of the campus. On friday nights to get lite up at the latin quarter, aka the L.Q, then around the corner for the mexican breakfast. tortilla, refried beans made the proper way, some eggs or chorizo, and a sopapilla with honey. then about 4bucks.
i never wanted to leave flag. and i have a relative buried at the cemetery on the nau campus. i went to work for a bank that thought is was a good idea to put me in phoenix, and a guy from phoenix in flagstaff. good thing i quite them.
if you run down the road to williams there is "Rod's steak house" originally owned by a white guy that wanted an outlet for his cattle. after years of operation he gave the business to his mexican employees who still run it.
i have had a steak a year there mostly since the 50's.
i have pictures of the area with family from the late 1800's it was different.
saturday nights on ol 66 where the bars are at was entertaining as a kid.
Originally Posted by flagstaff
I read in the local Flagstaff paper that the City Council listened to 3 hours of public comment regarding defunding the Police Department. If I recall correctly, like 132 folks said do not defund the Police while 32 were in support of it. I recall the Council NOT defunding the Police, but were in favor of some Police reforms.

Flagstaff was a nice place 30 years ago. I have lived here quite a bit of those 30 years, but many of the reasons I moved here are gone. I did raise my daughters here, which was good as I live out in the country and never locked my house doors, but they moved away to go to college.

couple of years ago a nephew retired off the phoenix fire, who had spent his life in the phoenix area, went north and settled in flag.
for me, it's a round trip between phoenix and the house in prescott. that, has been in the family since the 20's. major issue in prescott is the flood coming in from kalifornika running property prices through the roof, and kalifornica type ideas.
Posted By: Seafire Re: flagstaff az. - 06/16/20
last time thru Flagstaff, I stopped and ate at the Cracker Barrel ...

my waitress was a college gal from L.A. I asked her how she liked Flagstaff as a college student compared to L.A.

She called Flagstaff... Poverty with a view...

I thought that was sorta funny.. wife and I spent 4 days operating out of the Casino Hotel at Twin Arrows..
that was kind of a nice place...We did Sonora, then I40 east to the NM border... and then after leaving did a couple of days at the Grand Canyon.. one on the south side and one on the North Side... had dinner at the lodge which my wife really enjoyed..

took her there because she was complaining I never took her to see the Grand Canyon....

we headed home thru Utah, so we did Zion and then another Nation Park further north.... ...Arches National Park.... but she enjoyed the trip... this was after one of the Campfire Get Togethers at Quemato.....
Posted By: RichardAustin Re: flagstaff az. - 06/16/20
Not surprised, Flagstaff is a college town
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: flagstaff az. - 06/16/20
More useful stupids to be sacrificed.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: flagstaff az. - 06/17/20
i had that southern cal baja style mexican food once or twice, but it isn't home cooking like sycamore is talking about. used to be two places i would hit in flag. one was on the old road going west to hit the freeway, the other was right near the north end of the campus. On friday nights to get lite up at the latin quarter, aka the L.Q, then around the corner for the mexican breakfast. tortilla, refried beans made the proper way, some eggs or chorizo, and a sopapilla with honey. then about 4bucks.
i never wanted to leave flag. and i have a relative buried at the cemetery on the nau campus. i went to work for a bank that thought is was a good idea to put me in phoenix, and a guy from phoenix in flagstaff. good thing i quite them.
if you run down the road to williams there is "Rod's steak house" originally owned by a white guy that wanted an outlet for his cattle. after years of operation he gave the business to his mexican employees who still run it.

Rods makes a great chicken fried steak. I like the one at Miz Zips even better, though, out of habit.
Posted By: antlers Re: flagstaff az. - 06/17/20
When I first started going to Flagstaff, I’d go to a place out on 66 called Salsa Brava. I’ve been there many times since.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: flagstaff az. - 06/17/20

Rods makes a great chicken fried steak. I like the one at Miz Zips even better, though, out of habit.

pine country inn for the chicken fried steak
in late 60's i went to a wedding up on harts prairie at dust. big fires, lots of booze, lots of weed. kind of a hippy thing. she had flowers in her hair, long white dress, barefoot. he was dr. shivago. memorable affair from what i can remember of it.
i won a bet one year that i couldn't make it up to the snow bowl in my bug. payoff was a bottle of jim beams. well i had snow tires with wire in them, four people in the bug, two on the front bumper, two on the back. we went over and dug a pit in the snow to finish off the booze. fun coming down off the hill.
Old main which was a dorm at the time routinely had a "blue Haze" hanging over the bldg on weekends, i think you could get high just walking through there.
i kind of laugh at the memory of a black guy who was a neighbor in my dorm. sometimes he would have ten or fifteen kilos of weed in the room.
his father was a superior court employee in phoenix.
somebody mentioned not seeing many indians, i had to laugh. bar hopping late 60's and early 70's you would find drunk indians passed out in the snow banks in the front of the bars. people just left them lay there.
© 24hourcampfire