Home
Posted By: Quak Who likes to BBQ - 06/15/20
Product plug...but I’ve no affiliation...just quality stuff

Well...I finally found something I like about Missouri. I love to BBQ and so does my older brother. He lives in St Charles MO and I’m always messing with him about living in the show me state and how bad the weather is etc. He was yaking last week about this brisket rub he tried and how good it was. Typical Missouri we have the best bbq bullshit.

He ordered me a gift set from these guys and all I can say is wow...awesome [bleep]...awesome. I just bought some more LOL. Anyone here ever try it?

https://greatamericanbarbecueco.com/
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/15/20
MO has some good BBQ
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/15/20
No nothing about the op’s question, but the best burnt ends in the country is City Butcher in Springfield, MO, if they’re not sold out when you get there.
Posted By: Quak Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/15/20
The weather sure sucks though. Hotter than two rats pfuking in a wool sock. Then are the tornadoes...and poisonous snakes

But I’ll say this for the show me state...very pretty in the rural areas and you guys have some gorgeous women.

Michigan has the ugliest women in the country.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/15/20
Which ones have you tried?
Posted By: efw Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/15/20
Never tried it.

I smoked a couple spatchcock chickens on the offset Saturday turned out nice. Brined in kosher salt, brown sugar, and garlic overnight then marinated in Italian dressing & red hot, rubbed with Dave’s Famous BBQ formula and brushed on same sauce as marinated in. Low & slow cherry wood smoke.

Amazing.

Thinking I need to formulate my own rubs...
Posted By: ShaunRyan Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/15/20
"Who likes to BBQ?"

Who doesn't?
Posted By: fester Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/15/20
Had some good bbq pork ribs and chicken yesterday. Pellet smoker/cooker did the job.
Very good food.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/15/20
Kosher salt, coarse black pepper, and garlic powder is all you need.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/15/20
Originally Posted by Quak
Product plug...but I’ve no affiliation...just quality stuff

Well...I finally found something I like about Missouri. I love to BBQ and so does my older brother. He lives in St Charles MO and I’m always messing with him about living in the show me state and how bad the weather is etc. He was yaking last week about this brisket rub he tried and how good it was. Typical Missouri we have the best bbq bullshit.

He ordered me a gift set from these guys and all I can say is wow...awesome [bleep]...awesome. I just bought some more LOL. Anyone here ever try it?

https://greatamericanbarbecueco.com/
IMO Missouri-type BBQ is the best. St. Louis style just not quite sweet enough and KC style a little too sweet, so something in between the two. Best BBQ chain is Rib Crib...and I've eaten at all the biggies in KC. Rib Crib is an Okie outfit but they use St. Louis style. Best Mom and Pop BBQ? Still looking.

Smoked ribs just yesterday. Could've been better due to not enough meat on them. Fire got going good just about the time they were done. Typical.
Posted By: efw Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/15/20
Thanks Quak went and ordered a sampler I appreciate the tip.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
My wife's dry rub uses all that plus some brown sugar, paprika and some other stuff. Good and simple. Freaking ribs...messy to eat and you have to buy too much bone. Brisket is the way to go.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/15/20

Wise words, Mr. Hunter
My brother sent me the sampler...I just ordered another sampler as I already burned through half the beef rub and half the pork

They need bigger bottles for sure
I like anything bbq but I’ll take ribs to anything else Ethan
The thing that impressed me the most was the ingredients...no MSG or other diarrhea inducing chemical compounds like in the store bought crap

What do you guys smoke on? I’ve got a Webber Smokey mtn 14.5...love the damn thing

It’s small so sips the fuel...perfect size...I can get 5 racks of ribs on with the vertical stands. I have to cut packer briskets in half but so what
Posted By: ShaunRyan Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/15/20
In defense of Missouri, here are a few pics of Oregon County:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
It is pretty in the country...but no damn lakes!
Posted By: fester Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/15/20
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan
In defense of Missouri, here are a few pics of Oregon County:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Nice pics!
Posted By: TooManyHounds Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/15/20
Great seasonings, good quality. I like them on fish, brisket and baby backs! Yummy

No affiliation either, just good stuff made with pride.

BBQ Rules!
Originally Posted by Quak
It is pretty in the country...but no damn lakes!
No lakes where?
Posted By: JGray Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/15/20
I seem to be the guy that does all the smoking/grilling at family functions regardless if it's at my place or not. We just got back from a whole famdamnly camping get together and a BIL brought brisket and ribs and of course turned it all over to me to deal with. When the brisket was three hours from done, I threw the ribs on. When I took the brisket off, the ribs were close so I turned up the heat and added some pork steaks while the ribs finished. Everything came together pretty well and had lots of compliments.

I agree with stxhunter on the basic salt/pepper/garlic but always seem to be looking for new ideas on rubs and will check these guys out - thanks for the link...
Fish?
Posted By: ringworm Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/15/20
BBQ is not a verb.
Posted By: wagner Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/15/20
Thanks Quak. I ordered the 4 pack. I always enjoy trying new rubs.
Posted By: hanco Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/15/20
Everyone knows the best BBQ is in Texas. Mesquite is the best wood. BBQ was invented in Texas. We build steel pits. We don’t use grills or pellet smokers.

What the hell is a pellet smoker? A new way to smoke pot???
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/15/20
I dont like sweet bbq.
Originally Posted by hanco
Everyone knows the best BBQ is in Texas. Mesquite is the best wood. BBQ was invented in Texas. We build steel pits. We don’t use grills or pellet smokers.

I’ve used a lot of mesquite, (because it was all I had), but I certainly do not feel it’s the best. I prefer pecan or post oak. Or even live oak.
Posted By: BobMt Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/15/20

that sounds right......dont know why but i cant stand bbq sauce.....good why to ruin meat.....bob
I like applewood..love me some good bbq sauce
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/15/20
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I’ve used a lot of mesquite, (because it was all I had), but I certainly do not feel it’s the best. I prefer pecan or post oak. Or even live oak.

+1. Love post oak but also get great results with live oak. Smoked a pork butt last weekend.

There used to be a place in Odessa called Corky's. They served mesquite smoked hamburgers and peach cobbler with vanilla ice cream. Good stuff, but I don't think they are around anymore.
Posted By: hanco Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/15/20

I’m fooling with you all about the Mesquite. I like pecan and hickory too. Post oak is very good too. I’m using Red Oak right now, cause it’s all I have.

Does anyone know if White Oak or Blackjack Oak are good for BBQ???
Hanco,

Yes, I’ve used blackjack oak. To me it’s as good a post oak. And I’ve also used gum bumelia. (NOT sweet gum. This is a different tree). But it goes a long way. Use a little as smoke can get kinda strong.

We have some hickory up in the north end of the county. None here tho.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/15/20

Does anyone know if White Oak or Blackjack Oak are good for BBQ???

Just an observation- all the charcoal I've ever bought
just says "OAK " , it never says red oak, post oak, etc.
You really should be burning it down to coals anyway.
The proper way to BBQ is directly over hot hardwood
coals so that that the meat drips onto the hot coals
and you get that PSSSSSSSHHH and the good smell
wafts up around the meat.
All this is assuming it's not being properly cooked
in a dug pit in the ground.
All the other isn't barbecue, it's smoked meat and
the two shouldn't be confused.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/15/20
Originally Posted by BobMt

that sounds right......dont know why but i cant stand bbq sauce.....good why to ruin meat.....bob

Dad's the same way.

Wouldn't even allow it in the house when I was a kid.
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/15/20
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Dad's the same way.

Wouldn't even allow it in the house when I was a kid.

If you've ever had properly cooked BBQ, you'll
know for sure that sauce would have ruined
it, and you'll be judging all other accordingly
for the rest of your life.
Compare it to putting ketchup on the best steak
you've ever had
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/15/20
A brisket is in order for Saturday. I hope I do it well.
Hanco,
Them pellet smokers use a little wood pellet that looks like feed pellets. Just a little bigger than say hog finisher and a lot smaller than range cubes. It’s for folks that don’t really have access to good cooking wood. Lots of folks use em now.
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Richard,

Store here been out of briskets for quite a while. I have one in the freezer I picked up when all this virus crap started. I have a special use for it.

However,,,,, today I was at the store and they had like 5 or 6 good size briskets in the cooler. Said they were "deluxe" briskets whatever that is. Looked like regular old packer briskets except in a prettier pkg. Cheapest one was $100!!! They went up from there !!! One was a waygu beef!!! It was $142!!!!!
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/15/20

Posted By: lostleader Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/16/20
No sauce.........unless the meat prep sucks.
On the other hand, I am pretty much equal parts Scandinavian, German, British and Scoth/Irish.
Alchohol can compensate for bad cooking
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/16/20
Cheapest one was $100!!!

That's pure craziness ! !
A brisket is the sorriest cut
of meat on the whole cow !

That's like all this foolishness
with chicken wings and ribs of
any kind . When I was a kid,
they'd about give you any of
that at the grocery store.
Now, all those crap cuts cost
as much or more than a premium
piece of meat

He's not a bad feller, and he's damned
successful, but unless he's changed
completely since all his stuff burned up,
Franklin is a meat smoker, not a barbecuer
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/16/20
well, i wouldn't bbq a brisket. that's for steaks and fajitas.
His place burnt didn't here about that. Joe Cottons burnt up in Robstown a few years back.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/16/20
Mrs. Tomanetz does damn good briskets over in Lexington Tx. Snows BBQ.
I don’t care what you call it or don’t call it. I just can’t make myself spend my money on it when I can make it to my own liking. It’s all overpriced.
Posted By: rem141r Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/16/20
I don’t care what you call it or don’t call it. I just can’t make myself spend my money on it when I can make it to my own liking. It’s all overpriced.

ya its even overpriced when you buy it raw. but i like it and splurge every once in a while. my wsm turns out an excellent brisket.
Most all the good BBQ places near here
are gone. All that's left are the electric
cooker yuppie atmosphere joints like
Dickies. I don't know of any around here
that use wood and aren't smoke cookers.
Mesquite BBQ is still there, but I don't know
if they went electric or not. I don't know
the people that run it now
I remember the old joint on Chestnut street in Bastrop. Had all the knives chained to the table. Round the corner was the old butcher on main. Damn best sausage I ever ate!!!! It burnt down around 1982.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/16/20
When my son 1st started his business in Georgia he invited his new employees to his home for a barbecue they gently informed him that those ribeyes are grilled not BBQed. Those inbreds down south would eat a possum so it is hard to take them seriouslygrin

HAPPY B DAY ROGER!

mike r
When all this was still fairly rural, there
was a small joint that had like 4 tables
and a line out the door and around the
corner and down the side of the building
every minute they were open. Guy cooked
all night long on open pits over coals.
After he died, his heirs thought it was
too much work to babysit a truckload of
meat all night, and the place eventually
shut down. I noticed a while back they
bulldozed the building down to the dirt .
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/16/20
Ok guys I could use a little help. I bought a Rec Tec about a month ago and I love it so far. I have a 13 lb. boston butt in the freezer that I'd like to cook next week. I am trying to figure out an approximate cook and resting time for it at 225. Should I add a water pan? Wrap it in foil for part of the cook? I'd appreciate any advice.
I don’t know what a Rec Tec is. But I wish you good luck. I bet you will come out just fine.
Originally Posted by NDsnowman
Ok guys I could use a little help. I bought a Rec Tec about a month ago and I love it so far. I have a 13 lb. boston butt in the freezer that I'd like to cook next week. I am trying to figure out an approximate cook and resting time for it at 225. Should I add a water pan? Wrap it in foil for part of the cook? I'd appreciate any advice.
youtube lots of videos on that.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/16/20
Originally Posted by NDsnowman

On my Traeger I do 14 hours for sliced and 16 for pulled. Spritz with apple juice or apple cider every hour or so. I put the butt in an aluminum pan with apple juice and wrap or just wrap with foil and and juice put back on for the last couple hours of the cook. Take it off and wrap in a towel, then into an empty cooler to rest.
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/16/20
Hanco,

Yes, I’ve used blackjack oak. To me it’s as good a post oak. And I’ve also used gum bumelia. (NOT sweet gum. This is a different tree). But it goes a long way. Use a little as smoke can get kinda strong.

Have you or anybody else used Sweetgum? I've got a bunch that fell out of a tree and I could cut it up to use in the smoker.
Posted By: hanco Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/16/20
Sweetgum would Fuuck up your meat and your pit.
Posted By: hanco Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/16/20
Hanco,

Thanks for info on Blackjack Oak. Someone told me they used Hickory in smokehouses because it left little soot in the smokehouse. I don’t know if that is true.
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/16/20
Sometimes I BBQ, sometimes I just smoke it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Florida sucks. You got the heat, hurricanes, ticks, rattlebugs, MS13, liberals and suicidal hogs.

Oh, almost forgot, really big lizards.

Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/17/20
Hickory is used because the smoke tastes good. It leaves more creasote in your cooker than anything else. Oak is for places where hickory, pecan or walnut can't grow. And you don't want to buy wood.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/17/20

I do believe it would.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/17/20
I grew up across the river from St Louis, where almost every bend in the road had a cinder block and screen pit run by some gray-haired Black man and a sign out front "Ribs and Snoots" because the packing plants gave away the leftover trimmings - like ribs back then. That was St Louis style, with the meat finished in a thick sweet sauce after slow cooking over oak and/or hickory coals. You came away from the table with sauce up to your elbows and down your shirt all the way to your now-loosened belt and you could lick your fingers and still taste it for three days.

Some of you know your stuff. There's BBQ, and then there are smoking and grilling, three VERY different things.

Texas did NOT invent it, however. It was discovered either in the Carolinas or even further south when the colonists learned it from the native Americans. Texas can take credit for what we now call "Mexican" food in the US, but not BBQ. Texans have learned it well, we all admit. But you didn't invent it - and Texas style is not the only good kind.
I think the fella who first came back to the cave with a mammoth brisket invented bbq!

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣.

Kinda funny folks claiming their folks started something that mankind probably been doing for several millennia

Isn’t it?
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/17/20
We started whale bbq.

You wanna talk about a brisket!

Woof!
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/17/20

I do believe it would.
Thanks to you both.
We have cottonwood up here.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
We have cottonwood up here.

Just say clear of the pussywillow!
Mmmmmmm...........
Posted By: 805 Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/17/20

Exactly!! Good BBQ doesn’t need sauce IMO. I have used it for ribs because some prefer it but always made at least 1 rack dry also.
I prefer an open pit fire with Coastal Red Oak.
Posted By: Oklahomahunter Re: Who likes to BBQ - 06/17/20
I’ve been cutting and selling smoking wood in splits and chunks for a while now. It blows my mind how crappy some people wood is, or what they burn in their smokers. I’ve been cutting pecan, red oak, white (post) oak, mesquite, and hickory. Most all off my family farm that hasn’t seen a chemical or fertilizer as long as we’ve owned it (~85 years). The guys I cook with on the KCBS had trouble getting a good supply so I started helping them and one thing lead to another. It’s been a fun hobby.

We’ve tried a bunch of commercial rubs, but it’s hard to beat salt, coarse pepper, granulated garlic, and then make a few other additions to taste (white sugar, brown sugar, cayenne, paprika, cumin, cocoa powder, coffee, wtf ever). Seen some stuff you’d think would taste God awful come out tasting really good. We usually add a little sugar, but not for sweetness, only for bark building.
© 24hourcampfire