Home
Turns out the finish is mostly shellac, it was all alligator skinned and after several applications of denatured alcohol this reduced this. The stock cleaned up so much it looked too light so I put several coats of alkanet root turpentine and linseed oil on it. Then I rubbed in several coats of a slacum mix of varnish, oil, shellac turpentine and wax. I think once I rub it down and wax it it will look pretty good. It will be ready for another 85 years of use.
Where did you get the alkanet root ? Any pictures ?
Originally Posted by Malcolm
Where did you get the alkanet root ? Any pictures ?

Amazon in Canada has it

LINK to Amazon Canada Alkanet Root

That package will colour a lot of stocks...

John
Thanx, I try it. Malcolm..
Originally Posted by Tejano
Turns out the finish is mostly shellac, it was all alligator skinned and after several applications of denatured alcohol this reduced this. The stock cleaned up so much it looked too light so I put several coats of alkanet root turpentine and linseed oil on it. Then I rubbed in several coats of a slacum mix of varnish, oil, shellac turpentine and wax. I think once I rub it down and wax it it will look pretty good. It will be ready for another 85 years of use.

Enjoy the old Iver Johnson. If not completely worn out, they are nice, easy-carrying shotguns.
Mountain Rose Herbs is where I got mine. They have ground and the bark type. Each batch has had a slightly different tone to it so I mixed a couple from different sources together. I also ground some to a really fine powder and mix this with filler so the silica is not lighter in color than the wood.

It is amazing stuff I found that it will penetrate even the bowling alley factory finishes, It brings out the grain so well it is like going one grade up on the stock.
Mountain Rose Herbs..... What State are you in ? Maybe I can look them up. I like the reddish tone like those on the old Winchesters.

Thanx , Malcolm.
Originally Posted by Malcolm
Mountain Rose Herbs..... What State are you in ? Maybe I can look them up. I like the reddish tone like those on the old Winchesters.

Thanx , Malcolm.

Google: https://mountainroseherbs.com/

Eugene, OR.
© 24hourcampfire