Home
Posted By: bruinruin Rebarreling advice. - 09/13/22
I have a Remington M7 stainless in 6x45. I'd like to have it rebarreled with a faster twist (1/7 or 1/8) stainless barrel. I'm thinking of 20" finished length with a contour slightly heavier than sporter at the muzzle. The problem for me is that I get a bit lost when looking at contours, shank lengths, etc. among different brands. Is there not an industry standard on contours and tapers?

I would imagine that I'll get recommendations tobspeak with my gunsmith, but I don't have one yet. What's the simple way to settle on a barrel that fits my criteria?
Posted By: mathman Re: Rebarreling advice. - 09/13/22
There is no standard. Similarities yes, but no standard.

I'm not clear on what this means:

with a contour slightly more than shorter at the muzzle
Posted By: greydog Re: Rebarreling advice. - 09/13/22
Sometimes, translation isn't easy! The answer is to use a gunsmith who doesn't mind altering a contour to give you what you want. GD
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Rebarreling advice. - 09/13/22
Originally Posted by mathman
There is no standard. Similarities yes, but no standard.

I'm not clear on what this means:

with a contour slightly more than shorter at the muzzle
I typed it as sporter, but apparently my phone thinks it knows better than I do.
Posted By: mathman Re: Rebarreling advice. - 09/13/22
You can look at a given barrel maker's contour chart. There will be a diameter dimension for the muzzle and another for the transition area where the shank is stepped down. There will be a linear dimension between the two. If you calculate the difference of the two diameters and then divide that difference by the linear dimension you'll have the taper rate in inches per inch. You can use that to figure what diameter the barrel will be at a given finished length.
Posted By: greydog Re: Rebarreling advice. - 09/13/22
Comparing a Shilen #3 to a Douglas #3, you'll find the Douglas to be larger at the muzzle, depending on the length. My typing is being interrupted by that stupid dental implants ad, so I have no more to say except, to hell with it! GD
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Rebarreling advice. - 09/13/22
Go 7" RPM at 19" and massage guts to eat at least 2.650" COAL. Hint.

Baby Montucky chambered same,with OEM duped contour and shortened shank. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Send it to The Kali Kid and never look back. Hint.

Thank me later.

Hint................
Posted By: Teal Re: Rebarreling advice. - 09/13/22
Originally Posted by mathman
You can look at a given barrel maker's contour chart. There will be a diameter dimension for the muzzle and another for the transition area where the shank is stepped down. There will be a linear dimension between the two. If you calculate the difference of the two diameters and then divide that difference by the linear dimension you'll have the taper rate in inches per inch. You can use that to figure what diameter the barrel will be at a given finished length.

I was told there would be no math.
Posted By: himmelrr Re: Rebarreling advice. - 09/13/22
Find a good local custom gun maker and explain what you want. You will want to specify an approximate finished length, shank length, muzzle diameter and an approximate finished weight etc. He will know what to order.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Rebarreling advice. - 09/14/22
Alrighty, how many grooves do I want? Do groove shoulders create weak spots in a jacket?
Posted By: Big Stick Re: Rebarreling advice. - 09/14/22
Dots ONLY get connected,by Starting At The Fhuqking Start. Hint.

Sooooooo...what are you gonna do for a stock? Make/Model/Material?!? Hint.

Why a contour bump? Hint.

How are you going to feed it? OEM guts or DBM? Hint.

What are doing for base/rings/glass? Hint.

With them particulars,balance and handling can be pinpointed. Hint.

What's your budget and how long do you want this to take? Hint...................
© 24hourcampfire