-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have a Remington M7 stainless in 6x45. I'd like to have it rebarreled with a faster twist (1/7 or 1/8) stainless barrel. I'm thinking of 20" finished length with a contour slightly heavier than sporter at the muzzle. The problem for me is that I get a bit lost when looking at contours, shank lengths, etc. among different brands. Is there not an industry standard on contours and tapers?

I would imagine that I'll get recommendations tobspeak with my gunsmith, but I don't have one yet. What's the simple way to settle on a barrel that fits my criteria?

Last edited by bruinruin; 09/13/22.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
There is no standard. Similarities yes, but no standard.

I'm not clear on what this means:

with a contour slightly more than shorter at the muzzle

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Sometimes, translation isn't easy! The answer is to use a gunsmith who doesn't mind altering a contour to give you what you want. GD

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
There is no standard. Similarities yes, but no standard.

I'm not clear on what this means:

with a contour slightly more than shorter at the muzzle
I typed it as sporter, but apparently my phone thinks it knows better than I do.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You can look at a given barrel maker's contour chart. There will be a diameter dimension for the muzzle and another for the transition area where the shank is stepped down. There will be a linear dimension between the two. If you calculate the difference of the two diameters and then divide that difference by the linear dimension you'll have the taper rate in inches per inch. You can use that to figure what diameter the barrel will be at a given finished length.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Comparing a Shilen #3 to a Douglas #3, you'll find the Douglas to be larger at the muzzle, depending on the length. My typing is being interrupted by that stupid dental implants ad, so I have no more to say except, to hell with it! GD

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Go 7" RPM at 19" and massage guts to eat at least 2.650" COAL. Hint.

Baby Montucky chambered same,with OEM duped contour and shortened shank. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Send it to The Kali Kid and never look back. Hint.

Thank me later.

Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mathman
You can look at a given barrel maker's contour chart. There will be a diameter dimension for the muzzle and another for the transition area where the shank is stepped down. There will be a linear dimension between the two. If you calculate the difference of the two diameters and then divide that difference by the linear dimension you'll have the taper rate in inches per inch. You can use that to figure what diameter the barrel will be at a given finished length.

I was told there would be no math.

Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Find a good local custom gun maker and explain what you want. You will want to specify an approximate finished length, shank length, muzzle diameter and an approximate finished weight etc. He will know what to order.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Alrighty, how many grooves do I want? Do groove shoulders create weak spots in a jacket?

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dots ONLY get connected,by Starting At The Fhuqking Start. Hint.

Sooooooo...what are you gonna do for a stock? Make/Model/Material?!? Hint.

Why a contour bump? Hint.

How are you going to feed it? OEM guts or DBM? Hint.

What are doing for base/rings/glass? Hint.

With them particulars,balance and handling can be pinpointed. Hint.

What's your budget and how long do you want this to take? Hint...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,217 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,921
Posts18,479,766
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.