Home
Posted By: gnoahhh Request for tooling - 12/12/22
I snagged a Unimat miniature lathe. While it is fairly complete with basic tooling, it lacks some stuff to make it more versatile. Anybody have anything for this nifty little machine laying around not being used? Figured I'd ask here before diving into eBay where the stuff abounds.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Request for tooling - 12/12/22
The now extinct Boeing surplus yard used to be an incredible source!
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: Request for tooling - 12/21/22
I got a bunch of stuff from boing surplus
By the pound
Posted By: LGB Re: Request for tooling - 12/22/22
I had a Unimat lathe for several years and found it was almost useless , so I needed a smaller lathe for my motorhome travels. I needed to replace a barrel on my mini mauser 204 Ruger. I found a man in San Antonio selling the mini lathes from China and he wanted my mini Unimat, so we traded and it has been the best trade.

People said you couldn't use a mini lathe to do a fine rebarrel job, but if you look over on the Accuratereloading gunsmith forum you will see the complete set I used to perfect hunting rifle.

I don't have any pieces for a Unimat now.

Les Brooks, retired gunsmith
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Request for tooling - 12/22/22
I swapped a mini lathe to get the Unimat. I wanted something to noodle around with when at home away from the shop. For small projects I'm liking it: for example, turning centerfire .22LR brass cases while sitting at my desk for a project that has hang-fired for a couple years now. With two other lathes in the shop I didn't cut my throat in the deal. Made a spare firing pin for a Ballard the other night while watching TV. Used it to hollowpoint some lead bullets too, pursuant to an experiment.
Posted By: high_country_ Re: Request for tooling - 12/26/22
Originally Posted by LGB
I had a Unimat lathe for several years and found it was almost useless , so I needed a smaller lathe for my motorhome travels. I needed to replace a barrel on my mini mauser 204 Ruger. I found a man in San Antonio selling the mini lathes from China and he wanted my mini Unimat, so we traded and it has been the best trade.

People said you couldn't use a mini lathe to do a fine rebarrel job, but if you look over on the Accuratereloading gunsmith forum you will see the complete set I used to perfect hunting rifle.

Les,

Glad to hear you're still doing well. I bought a thumb drive from you years ago and it's one of the best places I've spent money.

You have incredible talent and I hope you'll share as much as you can. It will be appreciated.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Request for tooling - 01/01/23
Talking with my neighbor about this thread tonight. He has a Unimat he’s interested in selling.

Originally Posted by high_country_
Originally Posted by LGB

Les,

Glad to hear you're still doing well. I bought a thumb drive from you years ago and it's one of the best places I've spent money.

You have incredible talent and I hope you'll share as much as you can. It will be appreciated.
© 24hourcampfire