Print Thread
Hop To
G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I snagged a Unimat miniature lathe. While it is fairly complete with basic tooling, it lacks some stuff to make it more versatile. Anybody have anything for this nifty little machine laying around not being used? Figured I'd ask here before diving into eBay where the stuff abounds.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The now extinct Boeing surplus yard used to be an incredible source!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I got a bunch of stuff from boing surplus
By the pound

L
LGB Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I had a Unimat lathe for several years and found it was almost useless , so I needed a smaller lathe for my motorhome travels. I needed to replace a barrel on my mini mauser 204 Ruger. I found a man in San Antonio selling the mini lathes from China and he wanted my mini Unimat, so we traded and it has been the best trade.

People said you couldn't use a mini lathe to do a fine rebarrel job, but if you look over on the Accuratereloading gunsmith forum you will see the complete set I used to perfect hunting rifle.

I don't have any pieces for a Unimat now.

Les Brooks, retired gunsmith

G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I swapped a mini lathe to get the Unimat. I wanted something to noodle around with when at home away from the shop. For small projects I'm liking it: for example, turning centerfire .22LR brass cases while sitting at my desk for a project that has hang-fired for a couple years now. With two other lathes in the shop I didn't cut my throat in the deal. Made a spare firing pin for a Ballard the other night while watching TV. Used it to hollowpoint some lead bullets too, pursuant to an experiment.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 12/22/22.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LGB
I had a Unimat lathe for several years and found it was almost useless , so I needed a smaller lathe for my motorhome travels. I needed to replace a barrel on my mini mauser 204 Ruger. I found a man in San Antonio selling the mini lathes from China and he wanted my mini Unimat, so we traded and it has been the best trade.

People said you couldn't use a mini lathe to do a fine rebarrel job, but if you look over on the Accuratereloading gunsmith forum you will see the complete set I used to perfect hunting rifle.

Les,

Glad to hear you're still doing well. I bought a thumb drive from you years ago and it's one of the best places I've spent money.

You have incredible talent and I hope you'll share as much as you can. It will be appreciated.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Talking with my neighbor about this thread tonight. He has a Unimat he’s interested in selling.

Originally Posted by high_country_
Originally Posted by LGB

Les,

Glad to hear you're still doing well. I bought a thumb drive from you years ago and it's one of the best places I've spent money.

You have incredible talent and I hope you'll share as much as you can. It will be appreciated.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (1badf350, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 1minute, 1Longbow, 222Sako, 50 invisible), 2,327 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,026
Posts18,500,516
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.