Home
I am wanting to remove this off of a Husky 30/06 I inherited. Not really a lot of sentimental rifle as is was a inherited, inherited rifle. I have tried heating and also unscrewing. I didn’t want to mess anything up so I only put a half assed try to it.
Anyone familiar with this brake(?) and how it’s installed?
Marked REX -SHA-CUL
Help is appreciated
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Your muzzle brake is a Johnson Magnum Muzzle Brake. Interesting.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/363770208811
It appears the ad is for two different items. Im not sure if mine is the first or the second(muzzle brake)
There appears to be a tube in the center and no holes I can see through like a modern brake. The vent slots only allow me to see the tube in the center. I also do not have a hex nut on the bottom like the picture but a set screw like in the lower description.
I would like to remove it and clean it as I can see some green corrosion in the vents.
It is interesting, I may have to shoot it the way it is to see if its effective.
Thank you for the help
It may have left handed threads.
There is a possibility that it was installed with Rocksett.
It has a different removal process than Loctite.
Some info on Johnson brakes here:

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=532829&page=all
Charlie
I plan on trying that suggestion. Never crossed my mind that it may have left hand threads.
To everyone else thanks
Direct Drive I hope not!! IIRC it’s soaked in water to loosen ip Rocksett
If it's possible it's a slip-on, it may have been secured with some sort of solder. I've seen a couple of old Weatherby thumpers from way back (early 60s) that had brakes attached like that.
I read if using rocksett you can remove the break by soaking in water for a time I can't remember how long. I recently used it and hope it's true.
"The only way to break a proper Rocksett bond is to soak the part in hot water for 20 minutes or more and then forcibly remove the components".

I copied from the Rocksett pdf.

Jim
OR, just cut it off and recrown.
© 24hourcampfire