Home
Posted By: Leftybolt Barrel turning(recontouring) - 04/11/08
What could I expect to pay a competent(someone who can do it right the first time) gunsmith to have a barrel recontoured? Actually, what I really want is to have a couple of my rifle barrels turned down about .020"-.030'" along the entire contour of the barrel( just thinned a little).

Next question:

How much to fill some mis-aligned iron sight holes on one of the above barrels and drill and tap again straight; also cut off an inch or two on this tube and recrown?

Please respond only if you have first-hand experience with this kind of work and know of, or are a competent gunsmith that would like to take on this project.

Redneck, here on the campfire, comes to mind as I write this.

One of these rifles is a stainless Rem 700 and would need to be re-blasted to the original finish on the barreled action, the other with the iron sights is a Win 70 and is going to be Cere-coated after the metal work is done.

Redneck or Mickey Coleman or anyone who knows of someone else that can do this please respond.

I'm not tough to please, I just want it done right and am willing to pay but want a fair price too.

There aren't any smiths around my locale that I can trust.

Thanks in advance, Leftybolt

I had Ahlmans in Mn (ahlmans.com) turn my sako .270 barrel down one contour size. I think it cost $150 and they we're done in 2 or 3 weeks.They did a fine job and it still "shoots".
Posted By: ULA24 Re: Barrel turning(recontouring) - 04/12/08
That is my exact question too. Glad someone posted it! I have a 24" stainless Lilja # 3 contour, that I want turned down to mimick a #2 contour Douglas. Can this be done?
Lilja will re-contour his barrels if you ship the barrel back to them. Give Dan a call for more details. I don't remember exactly what he charges but it was reasonable.

MtnHtr
Posted By: ULA24 Re: Barrel turning(recontouring) - 04/14/08
Thanks!
Posted By: Swany Re: Barrel turning(recontouring) - 04/15/08
Just a little thing but, have it cut and recrowned before you reprofile. Many times we have a tendency to do things like this. Trust me when you look at your firearm without that 2 inches of bbl it will look different to you. Then have it reprofiled, after you look at it. You may change your mind.
© 24hourcampfire