Home
Posted By: kyreloader Interarms Mark X bolt face - 08/09/10
I found an Interarms Mark X rifle chambered in 7mmRM at a local pawn shop for a good price. I would like to use that action to chamber a rifle in something 6.5(probably at .256 Newtom) with a .483 bolt face.

Is there a maker of bolt heads for Interarms action/bolt to go from a magnum bolt face to an '06 bolt face?

Sorry if this is a juvenile question, I do not know my gunsmithing at all.

Thanks for any input you may have.

Posted By: Joel/AK Re: Interarms Mark X bolt face - 08/09/10
honestly it would be cheaper to go on gunbrokers, etc and find a standard bolt and sell off the magnum bolt.
It would be cheaper yet to go .264 Win Mag. and it should feed well.
Posted By: GaryVA Re: Interarms Mark X bolt face - 08/10/10
I'm not sure how much rail work they did for the old Interarms, but I have a mint original 1975 Interarms Mark 10 in 7mm Magnum that's still in the box. I can see tooling marks from where they worked some on the rails and the feed ramp over and above the standard machining of the parts. It cycles rounds slick and smooth without a hitch. If it were me, I'd hesitate going back to a standard cartridge but would rather stick with one of the standard magnums like the 7mm knowing that it would feed well. Not sure if material was removed for better feeding of the belted cartridge that would hinder feeding a standard cartridge. I'd probably look for a standard bolt face Mark 10 if I were sticking with a standard cartridge, but that's me.

Maybe one of the Mauser experts will pipe in. It may be no big deal whatsoever going backwards.

Good Luck!
Posted By: 22WRF Re: Interarms Mark X bolt face - 08/11/10
I think your best bet would be to trade the whole thing to someone who has one with the 30-06 bolt face. If you try to buy a bolt for it its going to cost you probably close to half the cost of the entire rifle.
Posted By: 22WRF Re: Interarms Mark X bolt face - 08/11/10
I think your best bet would be to trade the whole thing to someone who has one with the 30-06 bolt face. If you try to buy a bolt for it its going to cost you probably close to half the cost of the entire rifle. And then your stuck with the magnum bolt unless you can sell it.
Originally Posted by 22WRF
I think your best bet would be to trade the whole thing to someone who has one with the 30-06 bolt face. If you try to buy a bolt for it its going to cost you probably close to half the cost of the entire rifle. And then your stuck with the magnum bolt unless you can sell it.

+1 & save yourself a lot of grief.

The bolt face could be welded up and machined back to size but you'll have problems feeding a standard caliber case with rails set up for a magnum case.

MM
Posted By: GaryVA Re: Interarms Mark X bolt face - 08/12/10
ky, along the lines of doubletap's suggestion, why not go with the .264 Winchester Magnum. For that matter, if my history is correct, the .264 Win Mag knocked the .256 Newton off the map. But then again, didn't the 7mm Remington Magnum come along and knock the .264 Win Mag off the map? Being it is already a 7mm Remington Magnum, if the Interarms barrel can be salvaged, it would probably have the potential to shoot as well as any barrel. Most of the old Interarms Mark 10 barrels I've seen were great shooters.

Let us know which direction you go.

Best:)
© 24hourcampfire