Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I found an Interarms Mark X rifle chambered in 7mmRM at a local pawn shop for a good price. I would like to use that action to chamber a rifle in something 6.5(probably at .256 Newtom) with a .483 bolt face.

Is there a maker of bolt heads for Interarms action/bolt to go from a magnum bolt face to an '06 bolt face?

Sorry if this is a juvenile question, I do not know my gunsmithing at all.

Thanks for any input you may have.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
honestly it would be cheaper to go on gunbrokers, etc and find a standard bolt and sell off the magnum bolt.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It would be cheaper yet to go .264 Win Mag. and it should feed well.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not sure how much rail work they did for the old Interarms, but I have a mint original 1975 Interarms Mark 10 in 7mm Magnum that's still in the box. I can see tooling marks from where they worked some on the rails and the feed ramp over and above the standard machining of the parts. It cycles rounds slick and smooth without a hitch. If it were me, I'd hesitate going back to a standard cartridge but would rather stick with one of the standard magnums like the 7mm knowing that it would feed well. Not sure if material was removed for better feeding of the belted cartridge that would hinder feeding a standard cartridge. I'd probably look for a standard bolt face Mark 10 if I were sticking with a standard cartridge, but that's me.

Maybe one of the Mauser experts will pipe in. It may be no big deal whatsoever going backwards.

Good Luck!

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think your best bet would be to trade the whole thing to someone who has one with the 30-06 bolt face. If you try to buy a bolt for it its going to cost you probably close to half the cost of the entire rifle.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think your best bet would be to trade the whole thing to someone who has one with the 30-06 bolt face. If you try to buy a bolt for it its going to cost you probably close to half the cost of the entire rifle. And then your stuck with the magnum bolt unless you can sell it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 22WRF
I think your best bet would be to trade the whole thing to someone who has one with the 30-06 bolt face. If you try to buy a bolt for it its going to cost you probably close to half the cost of the entire rifle. And then your stuck with the magnum bolt unless you can sell it.

+1 & save yourself a lot of grief.

The bolt face could be welded up and machined back to size but you'll have problems feeding a standard caliber case with rails set up for a magnum case.

MM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
ky, along the lines of doubletap's suggestion, why not go with the .264 Winchester Magnum. For that matter, if my history is correct, the .264 Win Mag knocked the .256 Newton off the map. But then again, didn't the 7mm Remington Magnum come along and knock the .264 Win Mag off the map? Being it is already a 7mm Remington Magnum, if the Interarms barrel can be salvaged, it would probably have the potential to shoot as well as any barrel. Most of the old Interarms Mark 10 barrels I've seen were great shooters.

Let us know which direction you go.

Best:)

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1minute, 219DW, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 204guy, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,603 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,600
Posts18,511,428
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.