Home
Posted By: BlackHunter Vise for home use - 08/29/17

I want to get a vise to use for working on my firearms and small fix it tasks around the house.

What do you recommend?

How long should the jaws be?

How wide should the jaws open?

Is something from Harbor Freight ok?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Vise for home use - 08/29/17
I am not a gunsmith but do tinker with my guns as well as use a vise for many other projects. I have had one from Harbor Freight for more than ten years and have never broken any part of it. It has 5" jaws. The model number has changed but here is the same vise now.

HF 5" vise with anvil

Also these are very helpful for holding easily damaged stuff.

Vise Jaws

You can also make your own jaw pads using plywood or aluminum and gluing on some thick leather .

Others may have different opinions on the type of vise but I have found this one very serviceable.
Posted By: kellory Re: Vise for home use - 08/29/17
a wood worker's vice. jaws are lined with soft wood and replaceable. jaws open about 10", and work well for most projects. There is no anvil section, but is made to work with bench dogs for large projects. I get a lot of use out of mine.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Vise for home use - 08/29/17
I have one of the larger ones from harbor freight and it has worked well for 7 years.

I have a 6 in.wilton vise in my gun shop and have a 3 in set up so i can put in the larger one if needed.

The ones harbor has will do ok.
Posted By: kingston Re: Vise for home use - 08/29/17
One of my oldest vices is for vises. I'd encourage you to consider buying a quality vintage vise. I wouldn't prioritize a built in anvil. Most vises with this feature are light homeowner type utility vises. A couple to look for are Wilton 350S or 400S. The Record Vises made in England are also good. A quality vise is a thing of beauty. Do you have a budget?
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Vise for home use - 08/29/17
I have a Wilton on one bench in my shop, and a vintage Emmert Patternmaker's Vise on another bench. Both get used a lot, but for different applications. If cost is no object and you want the best vise for holding odd shaped objects, hunt down an Emmert. It's a essentially a hell-for-stout woodworking vise with flat 12" wide/6" deep cast steel jaws that articulate to conform to tapered objects (vertically and horizontally), and swivels vertically to allow getting at the work with rasps/files/planes at disparate angles to prevent having to contort oneself. They've been gone from the market for decades, I think, and command a premium at antique tool fairs because the cognoscente appreciate their extreme versatility. A nice one may well set you back the cost of a new deer rifle (or two) but they're worth every penny.

Another vise I use a helluva lot is one of those little Panavise's. Set's up anywhere, rotates 360 degrees, tilts through around 45 degrees, soft nylon jaw inserts. Perfect for holding small parts for filing, soldering, hand polishing, etc.

Truth be told, for occasional home hobbyist use, I don't see where a Harbor Freight vise wouldn't be a-ok. It's when you depend on a vise in the course of your livelihood that high quality/durability starts to matter, a lot.
Posted By: kingston Re: Vise for home use - 08/29/17
I've got pattern maker vises by both Yost and Emmert.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Vise for home use - 08/29/17
If it matters to you:

The last home shop type Wilton I purchased was made in China. It seems like a decent vise, but it cost 2-3 times what a similar Chinese vise from, say, Harbor Freight would cost. Is Wilton quality better? I can't say for sure.

Caveat emptor - always.

Paul
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Vise for home use - 08/29/17
I have a big Harbor Freight quality vise that's worked good enough for years. Also have a small Sears vise, like 4", mounted on a base that I can move about the bench. Very handy. Made various types of jaws as I needed them. Speaking of vises, I would consider an X-Y drill press vise essential for a drill press. You can make good holes with even a cheap one (like mine) with a little extra care.

Woodworker's vise seldom used but sometimes it's just the thing.
Posted By: BlackHunter Re: Vise for home use - 08/31/17
Thank you all for the wonderful advice. I've been on the lookout for a Wilton vise for some time but unless I come across a deal I can't justify the cost vs my ability to fully utilize it or appreciate the quality of it. I'm an amateur at best in craftsmanship. I will look up the vises mentioned that are new to me and make a purchase soon. I had also been considering getting a woodworking vise as several mentioned and am now sure that I will get one. Many thanks for your help.
Posted By: BlackHunter Re: Vise for home use - 08/31/17
Please feel free to continue to offer your ideas and suggestions.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Vise for home use - 09/01/17
One nice advantage of a wood working vice is the lever that lets the vice slide out to the desired opening with out having to do it by turning the handle (at least on my Record).
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Vise for home use - 09/03/17
The garage journal thread on vises is over 1,000 pages long. A huge amount of public knowledge was lost when photobucket went bits up.
https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44782

I buy vises, I make vises, I bought an old Eron vise on Ebay today.

But for gunsmithing the whole gun, I have a modified CTK gun vise so it is stiff and can be clamped to a shoulder vise in a 300 pound woodworking bench.

https://www.amazon.com/CTK-Company-Ultimate-Gun-Vise/dp/B000W75L32

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kingston Re: Vise for home use - 09/03/17
The vise thread on Practical Machinist is uber! Several of my vices are posted there.
Posted By: BlackHunter Re: Vise for home use - 09/03/17
Clarkm and Kingston thank you very much for the information and links.
Posted By: pal Re: Vise for home use - 09/03/17
Originally Posted by kellory
a wood worker's vice. jaws are lined with soft wood and replaceable. jaws open about 10"...

A woodworkers vise is likely to be your most useful for doing work around the house. Very versatile. A patternmakers vise is unnecessarily heavy, bulky, clumsy and expensive.
Posted By: BlackHunter Re: Vise for home use - 09/11/17
Thanks for all of the information. I'm getting one of the Harbor Freight vises.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Vise for home use - 09/11/17
When I was trying to change barrels with a bench vise, I broke vise after vise.
There seems to be a difference between cast iron and cast steel.

This is why a used Columbian or Wilton or ... on Ebay is so much more expensive than a new Chinese vise.
https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/vises-anvils.html

Then I got a Columbian vise from Boeing surplus and have been unable to break it in 15 years.
I now make my own barrel vises and action wrenches from rolled steel.
But I use the Colombian every day for other things.
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Vise for home use - 09/11/17
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by kellory
a wood worker's vice. jaws are lined with soft wood and replaceable. jaws open about 10"...

A woodworkers vise is likely to be your most useful for doing work around the house. Very versatile. A patternmakers vise is unnecessarily heavy, bulky, clumsy and expensive.

I think there is more than one vise that gets called a patternmakers vise. Here is one that isn't bulky and clumsy: Patternmaker's or Gunstock carving vise - Woodcraft.com. Not that this is the best general purpose vise for gunsmith work though, but it isn't too bulky, etc.

I think maybe this one is the type you were referring to though: Wood River Pattern Maker's Vise - Amazon.com

Don't know that I would trust a Harbor Freight vise. Even though the cheaper Wilton's are made in China, I think they probably have more stringent quality control than cheaper chi-com built vises that look the same. I could be wrong though.
Posted By: Gregor Re: Vise for home use - 09/15/17
http://www.willburtversavise.com/
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Vise for home use - 09/19/17
20% off sale going on right now on just about every kind of vise concievable.

I reckon you'll have to cut and paste the address into your browser

http://www.kbctools.com/content.aspx?file=customerpages/vise917.htm

Luck,

GTC
Posted By: Lansend Re: Vise for home use - 09/21/17
I like this type, with leather added to the jaw face and a roller stand from Sears to steady things. The jaws will accommodate most of the angles at which I need to clamp the stock without marring the wood. It wont do for small or precise work on metal, though. For that I use lead wrapped jaws on almost any common type of vise. The lead comes from Brownells. Harbor Freight is fine if you find a pattern you like there.

[email:https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/12284323/vise]https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/12284323/vise[/email]
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Vise for home use - 09/21/17
Lansend,
That looks like the "modern workbench" I built from the $20 Lee Valley plan in 1984.

[Linked Image]

I don't have much since 1984, but I still have the wife and that woodworking bench, and I am doing gunsmithing on it today.

I made mine from Rock Hard Maple [$2/ board foot in 1984], but I can see by your darker colors you used something else or a mixture.
Posted By: Lansend Re: Vise for home use - 09/21/17
Clarkm,
Good eye, it is exactly so and I admire your ability to build one. Mine was made in Africa about the same time and given to me by my wife. These benches are very versatile. I keep both vises in use as clamps most of the time or, for instance, use the bench dogs along with C-clamps to hold a stock to the bench to glue and dowel on an ebony for-end tip. Like you, this would be about the last thing I'd part with.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Vise for home use - 09/22/17
Lansend,
your pic inspired me to mount a vise on a woodworking bench dog.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire