Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B

I want to get a vise to use for working on my firearms and small fix it tasks around the house.

What do you recommend?

How long should the jaws be?

How wide should the jaws open?

Is something from Harbor Freight ok?

Thanks in advance for your help.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am not a gunsmith but do tinker with my guns as well as use a vise for many other projects. I have had one from Harbor Freight for more than ten years and have never broken any part of it. It has 5" jaws. The model number has changed but here is the same vise now.

HF 5" vise with anvil

Also these are very helpful for holding easily damaged stuff.

Vise Jaws

You can also make your own jaw pads using plywood or aluminum and gluing on some thick leather .

Others may have different opinions on the type of vise but I have found this one very serviceable.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
a wood worker's vice. jaws are lined with soft wood and replaceable. jaws open about 10", and work well for most projects. There is no anvil section, but is made to work with bench dogs for large projects. I get a lot of use out of mine.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have one of the larger ones from harbor freight and it has worked well for 7 years.

I have a 6 in.wilton vise in my gun shop and have a 3 in set up so i can put in the larger one if needed.

The ones harbor has will do ok.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One of my oldest vices is for vises. I'd encourage you to consider buying a quality vintage vise. I wouldn't prioritize a built in anvil. Most vises with this feature are light homeowner type utility vises. A couple to look for are Wilton 350S or 400S. The Record Vises made in England are also good. A quality vise is a thing of beauty. Do you have a budget?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have a Wilton on one bench in my shop, and a vintage Emmert Patternmaker's Vise on another bench. Both get used a lot, but for different applications. If cost is no object and you want the best vise for holding odd shaped objects, hunt down an Emmert. It's a essentially a hell-for-stout woodworking vise with flat 12" wide/6" deep cast steel jaws that articulate to conform to tapered objects (vertically and horizontally), and swivels vertically to allow getting at the work with rasps/files/planes at disparate angles to prevent having to contort oneself. They've been gone from the market for decades, I think, and command a premium at antique tool fairs because the cognoscente appreciate their extreme versatility. A nice one may well set you back the cost of a new deer rifle (or two) but they're worth every penny.

Another vise I use a helluva lot is one of those little Panavise's. Set's up anywhere, rotates 360 degrees, tilts through around 45 degrees, soft nylon jaw inserts. Perfect for holding small parts for filing, soldering, hand polishing, etc.

Truth be told, for occasional home hobbyist use, I don't see where a Harbor Freight vise wouldn't be a-ok. It's when you depend on a vise in the course of your livelihood that high quality/durability starts to matter, a lot.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 08/28/17.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've got pattern maker vises by both Yost and Emmert.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If it matters to you:

The last home shop type Wilton I purchased was made in China. It seems like a decent vise, but it cost 2-3 times what a similar Chinese vise from, say, Harbor Freight would cost. Is Wilton quality better? I can't say for sure.

Caveat emptor - always.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a big Harbor Freight quality vise that's worked good enough for years. Also have a small Sears vise, like 4", mounted on a base that I can move about the bench. Very handy. Made various types of jaws as I needed them. Speaking of vises, I would consider an X-Y drill press vise essential for a drill press. You can make good holes with even a cheap one (like mine) with a little extra care.

Woodworker's vise seldom used but sometimes it's just the thing.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thank you all for the wonderful advice. I've been on the lookout for a Wilton vise for some time but unless I come across a deal I can't justify the cost vs my ability to fully utilize it or appreciate the quality of it. I'm an amateur at best in craftsmanship. I will look up the vises mentioned that are new to me and make a purchase soon. I had also been considering getting a woodworking vise as several mentioned and am now sure that I will get one. Many thanks for your help.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Please feel free to continue to offer your ideas and suggestions.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One nice advantage of a wood working vice is the lever that lets the vice slide out to the desired opening with out having to do it by turning the handle (at least on my Record).

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The garage journal thread on vises is over 1,000 pages long. A huge amount of public knowledge was lost when photobucket went bits up.
https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44782

I buy vises, I make vises, I bought an old Eron vise on Ebay today.

But for gunsmithing the whole gun, I have a modified CTK gun vise so it is stiff and can be clamped to a shoulder vise in a 300 pound woodworking bench.

https://www.amazon.com/CTK-Company-Ultimate-Gun-Vise/dp/B000W75L32

[Linked Image]

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The vise thread on Practical Machinist is uber! Several of my vices are posted there.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Clarkm and Kingston thank you very much for the information and links.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kellory
a wood worker's vice. jaws are lined with soft wood and replaceable. jaws open about 10"...

A woodworkers vise is likely to be your most useful for doing work around the house. Very versatile. A patternmakers vise is unnecessarily heavy, bulky, clumsy and expensive.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for all of the information. I'm getting one of the Harbor Freight vises.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was trying to change barrels with a bench vise, I broke vise after vise.
There seems to be a difference between cast iron and cast steel.

This is why a used Columbian or Wilton or ... on Ebay is so much more expensive than a new Chinese vise.
https://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/vises-anvils.html

Then I got a Columbian vise from Boeing surplus and have been unable to break it in 15 years.
I now make my own barrel vises and action wrenches from rolled steel.
But I use the Colombian every day for other things.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by kellory
a wood worker's vice. jaws are lined with soft wood and replaceable. jaws open about 10"...

A woodworkers vise is likely to be your most useful for doing work around the house. Very versatile. A patternmakers vise is unnecessarily heavy, bulky, clumsy and expensive.

I think there is more than one vise that gets called a patternmakers vise. Here is one that isn't bulky and clumsy: Patternmaker's or Gunstock carving vise - Woodcraft.com. Not that this is the best general purpose vise for gunsmith work though, but it isn't too bulky, etc.

I think maybe this one is the type you were referring to though: Wood River Pattern Maker's Vise - Amazon.com

Don't know that I would trust a Harbor Freight vise. Even though the cheaper Wilton's are made in China, I think they probably have more stringent quality control than cheaper chi-com built vises that look the same. I could be wrong though.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 16gage, 1234, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,494 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,430
Posts18,470,780
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.