Home
Posted By: ctw Magnetized blank - 12/17/17
Doing a little recontouring and the blank I am working with has become magnetized? Wondering if this is common? Is this a problem? How do I de anytime it?

Thanks Chris
Posted By: RAN Re: Magnetized blank - 12/17/17
It's a well known phenomena caused by plastic deformation( machining) of iron alloys and I think it will be mostly confined to the chips. Forgetaboutit.

RAN
Posted By: ctw Re: Magnetized blank - 12/17/17
I really did not notice until I went to measure and my calipers were drawn to the blank. Will it go away after blueing ?
Posted By: shooter42 Re: Magnetized blank - 12/17/17
cant answer your question directly but we used to magnetize/ demagnetize screwdrivers with a car battery and a length of wire. get a piece of 12 gauge coated wire and leave a tail as you start wrapping up the barrel like a barber pole. touch the tail end to the positive terminal of the battery and the other end to the negative terminal of the battery for a split second, just enough to make the spark. if it was magnetic it now wont be, if it wasn't it now will be.
Posted By: model70man Re: Magnetized blank - 12/17/17
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2015/04/gun-tech-top-barrel-makers-adopt-degaussing-technology/
Posted By: Tejano Re: Magnetized blank - 12/17/17
M70M Very interesting article, thanks. I am going to start checking my rifles to see if any are magnetized. I would think hammer forging could also magnetize the barrel.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Magnetized blank - 12/17/17
I'm almost tempted to ask if it's April 1st.

I should think that the greatest risk to having a magnetized barrel would be how much it would effect the compass inletted into the stock.
Posted By: ctw Re: Magnetized blank - 12/17/17
Gary
Not April fools, definitely had no charge when I started and now it does. For sure it will effect the compass in the stock.
Posted By: mathman Re: Magnetized blank - 12/18/17
How much will it affect a nonferrous bullet?
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Magnetized blank - 12/18/17
Originally Posted by ctw
Gary
Not April fools, definitely had no charge when I started and now it does. For sure it will effect the compass in the stock.

Not referring to your initial post, Chris.

I have noticed that phenomenon here in my college workshop/lab when machining/filing/otherwise altering steel objects. Many of our experiments generate innacurate responses that are caused by magnetic fields that aren't humanly noticeable but are there when subjected to delicate measuring instruments. In addition to that, I'm also charged (no pun intended) with maintaining various super magnets and powerful electromagnets used in various physics experiments. Just having those beasts in the same room can provoke unwelcome results sometimes.

I once had to make a new base/adjusting mechanism for a century old 50 pound magnet. No big deal, I constructed an elegant platform and sent it back upstairs. Then I noticed that all my files, mics, screwdrivers, chisels, etc. that were in proximity to the magnet on the bench were subsequently magnetized-- and my vintage Breitling Navitimer mechanical wristwatch was dead. I gerry-rigged a de-gaussing station and corrected everything (and spent an obscene amount of money to have the watch repaired).

Magnets can be your friend, or your enemy. I really don't buy into a magnetized barrel having any real-world effect on a bullet's performance though.
Posted By: RAN Re: Magnetized blank - 12/18/17

Pure technobabble! Vallon has conned a couple of barrel makers or maybe not if they are charging $50/barrel for the "service". What a joke!!!!. It is just more of the BS that reinforces the shooting hobbyist's ongoing quest for perfection that can be bought over the counter, no matter how silly it is.

RAN
Posted By: Tejano Re: Magnetized blank - 12/18/17
Originally Posted by RAN

Yes like Cryo helps in machining but not much stress relief, but it does great things for knives. Several times I have been sharpening knives and thought they had a wire edge only to find those were metal bits standing on end on the edge of the blade. Maybe I should get the metal plates in my head degaussed?
© 24hourcampfire