Home
Posted By: Triggernosis BLR owners - scopes? - 12/11/21
What scopes and ring setups are you BLR owners using?
Pictures of your rings would be much appreciated.
Posted By: M1Garand Re: BLR owners - scopes? - 12/12/21
I have a Leupold VX-1 2-7 with Leupold mounts. I've thought of throwing a Trijicon1-4 Accupoint I have on it with maybe some Talley's but never have, these always worked fine for me.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Triggernosis Re: BLR owners - scopes? - 12/12/21
Originally Posted by M1Garand
I have a Leupold VX-1 2-7 with Leupold mounts. I've thought of throwing a Trijicon1-4 Accupoint I have on it with maybe some Talley's but never have, these always worked fine for me.

That looks pretty good.
What height mounts are you using? Looks like you could go even lower.
I used Warne

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...lr-warne-weaver-style-bases#Post15901564
Posted By: cherryfarmer Re: BLR owners - scopes? - 12/12/21
I have a leupold vx-2 2-7x33 in weaver bases and the original style low rings. I tried talley lightweight lows but they were still to high for a good cheekweld. With the weaver setup it's just right
Posted By: pete53 Re: BLR owners - scopes? - 12/12/21
my favorite BLR is a S.S.Laminate stock take down 30-06 i did have a 3 x 9 Leupold but change to a Leupold 6x -42 because this 6x is proven to hold zero better . i use Weaver steel base and rings on this BLR rifle also
Posted By: M1Garand Re: BLR owners - scopes? - 12/12/21
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

That looks pretty good.
What height mounts are you using? Looks like you could go even lower.

Lows, I don't think I could go much lower with that front sight.
Posted By: MOGC Re: BLR owners - scopes? - 12/12/21
Originally Posted by cherryfarmer
I have a leupold vx-2 2-7x33 in weaver bases and the original style low rings. I tried talley lightweight lows but they were still to high for a good cheekweld. With the weaver setup it's just right

Same here, 2x7x33 Leupold VX2, Weaver bases and low rings. I took the back sight off because the scope was so low.
Posted By: Triggernosis Re: BLR owners - scopes? - 12/12/21
Originally Posted by MOGC

Same here, 2x7x33 Leupold VX2, Weaver bases and low rings. I took the back sight off because the scope was so low.

That's exactly what I plan to do.
I hadn't thought about the front sight being in the way, as M1Garand pointed out.
Posted By: magshooter1 Re: BLR owners - scopes? - 12/27/21
Leupold VX-2 Talley Steel QR Lever rings on my pre'81 .358 Win.
Posted By: Milkfever Re: BLR owners - scopes? - 12/28/21

I have the same scope with Weaver mounts
Posted By: Triggernosis Re: BLR owners - scopes? - 12/28/21
Originally Posted by Milkfever

Which Weaver bases and rings? Looks like there's several options.
Posted By: Joe Re: BLR owners - scopes? - 12/28/21
I like the 1.5-5 Leupold on most any rifle:

Posted By: MOGC Re: BLR owners - scopes? - 12/28/21
Originally Posted by Milkfever

Which Weaver bases and rings? Looks like there's several options.

The rings are extra low. I don't know the part number on the bases. I did run into an issue on ordering bases for my BLR 81'. I was going to swap over to Burris steel bases and rings and ran into something about "round top" and "flat top" receivers on BLR's. I did some research and thought I had it figured out but when I received the bases from Burris they didn't lay flat on the top of the frame. The part I ordered had a little arch to it and there was a slight gap under the base and over the top of the frame. At the time Burris didn't have the other style, the flat one, and I gave up on it and went back to the Weaver set up.
Posted By: Dantheman Re: BLR owners - scopes? - 01/02/22
I use a Vortex Diamondback 1.5-5x32 and a Dednutz one piece mount.

Dan
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: BLR owners - scopes? - 01/02/22
Bushnell 3200 1.5-4.5x scope with Warne detachable rings and a Weaver base. Sits atop a pre-81 in 358 Win. It was my primary Blackbear gun for 20 years.
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: BLR owners - scopes? - 01/02/22
My .358 wears a Zeiss 4x32 in Leupold mounts.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Odessa Re: BLR owners - scopes? - 01/04/22
When I owned a M81 in 308 WIN I used one of the Redfield 3-9x40mm USA-made scopes as re-introduced by Leupold. Mounted it in standard Weaver 2-PC bases and old style Weaver rings - never moved under recoil and I didn't want the long one piece base down the top of the receiver.
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: BLR owners - scopes? - 01/05/22
Leupold FXII 2.5x20. Talley bases and Talley QD rings (with screw option instead of levers) on my then-new BLR in .358 Win. Same set up on my BLR '81 Lightweight in .308.

Posted By: Triggernosis Re: BLR owners - scopes? - 01/05/22
That's a good-looking combo ^^^.
Let's see that sling also - it looks interesting.
It's a Browning sling. One of the nicer ones I've come across in that price range.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1014508423?pid=140890

Originally Posted by 10Glocks
It's a Browning sling. One of the nicer ones I've come across in that price range.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1014508423?pid=140890

That IS a nice one for that price! I'm a leatherworker and I wouldn't do one like that for that price.
My dad's .358 Winchester BLR 81 wears a K3 Weaver in a low slung set of Weaver tip off rings . It's what he used and it's so accurate that I haven't felt the need to change anything .
Do any of these tip-off or quick-detach ring setups allow you to remove the scope and use the stock sights?
Do any of these tip-off or quick-detach ring setups allow you to remove the scope and use the stock sights?

The Talleys on mine are supposed to, but the bases are so high that you can barely see the top of the rear sight over them. I can see the notch and line up the sight, but I am not seeing the whole rear sight. It's okay in a pinch, but its not optimal.

If there is a Weaver option, with the U channel in the middle, that might be a good option.
Posted By: abbydog Re: BLR owners - scopes? - 01/06/22
I had a 6x42 S&B on my 7 mm mag which i foolishly sold - BOTH!
Posted By: 406_SBC Re: BLR owners - scopes? - 01/07/22
I used Talley LWs for many years, but finally found a second set of used Leupold "Redfield" type bases and now have a dual dovetail setup on my .358 BLR. I originally had a 3X Leupold on this rifle, but being a short action rifle I swapped it for a 2.5X Leupold Compact and doubt I'll swap that one out.
Posted By: mauserfan Re: BLR owners - scopes? - 01/07/22
I use the factory open sights on my .358 Win. About the best sights I have ever used. But, most all of my shots are <150 yards.........mauser
Posted By: Triggernosis Re: BLR owners - scopes? - 01/07/22
Originally Posted by mauserfan
I use the factory open sights on my .358 Win. About the best sights I have ever used. But, most all of my shots are <150 yards.........mauser

They are indeed excellent open sights. However, with my aging eyes I'm not so sure I would be able to use them much past about a hundred yards
Posted By: viking Re: BLR owners - scopes? - 01/09/22
Best open sights on a lever these days.

My 30-06 wouldn’t let adjust low enough for 180’s and 165’s , I had to shoot 150’s( all hand loads)
Posted By: 10Glocks Re: BLR owners - scopes? - 01/09/22
The bead and notch are very fine. Hard for my eyes to see clearly. Great sights if you can see them. But what makes them one of the better precise open sights on a production gun is what makes them hard for aging eyes to see clearly.
Posted By: Nailbender59 Re: BLR owners - scopes? - 01/15/22
I have Leupold VX2 in Leupold standard mounts and rings on mine
Posted By: Triggernosis Re: BLR owners - scopes? - 06/27/22
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
Leupold FXII 2.5x20. Talley bases and Talley QD rings (with screw option instead of levers) on my then-new BLR in .358 Win. Same set up on my BLR '81 Lightweight in .308.

Gentlemen, I'm revisiting this scope quest for my BLR. I have a Leupold 2.5-8x36 mounted on it now, but it just doesn't look right to me. It's kinda like a "scope with a rifle attached to it" instead of a rifle with a scope attached to it.
10Glocks picture just looks "right" for a levergun. So, I believe I'm going to try the Leupold 2.5x20 out.
I'm a bit concerned about taking the occasional 250 yard shot with only 2.5X, but perhaps my worries are not valid. For those of you using a fixed 2.5X scope, what are your experiences with 1) longer shots and 2) shots near dusk?

Edit: I would try a 1.5-5x20 variable, but Leupold doesn't make one with nice, low, unobtrusive turrets anymore - at least not that I can find.
© 24hourcampfire