Home
Stopped by Gander Mountain today and they have their 3 Forks Ranch gear way discounted including their AKU made hunting boots that they have named Wapiti. These are serious footwear (IMHO comparable to Meindl, Lowa etc.) and come in 8" & 10" heights. Both have Duratherm insulation, vibram soles and are full grain leather. The boots are made in Romania.

They are marked down from $260 to $67.50.
I can't find this boot on the Gander website...

Brent
The 3 Forks gear is GM's high-end line of equipment. They only carry it at some of their stores and it is not online. You could try calling some stores directly to see if they have them, but I don't know if they will ship.

The boots seem to run pretty true to size.
I seen this post and about broke my legs getting out of the chair to get up to a gander mountain. They only had 3pr left, a 9.5, 10.5 and 13. Luckily I wear a 10.5 and the boots fit good. They seem like a hell of alot of boot for just $67, thanks for the heads up!!!!
I used these boots this hunting season and they were great. No break in time for me.
I could use either a 13, but there isn't a GM anywhere around me.
Sure. I thought it was too good of a deal to pass up too and picked up a "backup" pair. BTW, if your local GM store doesn't carry them you can order from any GM store from your local one in person.

I did this yesterday to get my backup pair. They are being direct shipped to me from a store in Virginia. Call around if you are looking for them. And the 8" boots are $62.50.
grimace - any way you could post a quick pic?
Here is a pic of the 10"ers.

[Linked Image]
hey thanks! think i'm going to get a pair - they look alot like the meindl canada hunters i tried earlier this year - if they feel like 'em, i'll be happy!
Good eye mbuck...two years ago when I first came across these books the good folks at Gander couldn't tell me anything about them...so I tracked down the U.S. AKU distributor and he was kind enough to call me back. AKU does indeed make the Cabela's Mountain Hunter boots .

He told me the GM boot is actually a "step-up" from them and they don't have the asymmetrical lacing system.
I'm calling my local Gander Mtn. NOW! I have seen them before but didn't give them much thought since I have a pair of the Cabelas Mtn Hunters. For $69 you cannot go wrong.
Thanks Grimace! Called locally and they've got some left in 9 and 9.5. They only come D width according to the salesman. This is clearly a case for buying two pair - if they feel good. The second pair will last just as long in my closet as in their stockroom. Need to bring my poly and wool socks for fitting.
thanks grimace! what's the deal with the asymetric lace system on the cabelas brand? good thing/bad thing?
i've got two pair on the way to michigan right now!
Asymmetrical lacing is supposed to alleviate pressure points when the laces are across from each other. Its spreads out the pressure when you tighten up the laces. This doesn't affect everyone so.... its kind of a sales pitch.
The rock guard above the sole is a nice feature. It protects the leather from sharp rock cuts.
But, for $67 you can't buy loafers or sandals.
I hope they are nice boots. Since I can't find any info. on- line, I based my decision on your comments and the sale price. I just ordered two pair, one for me in 10.5 and one for a buddy in 9. I called nine stores, I think, before I found them. I really hope they fit. If they are like the old style Cabelas Mt. Hunters, I'll be very happy. I have a pair of those and really like them. After four years in AK they needed resoled badly, and because I didb't condition the leather as I should have, I walked a hole in the right achilles flex point. They were (now they don't get into the hills because of the soles) super comfortable and they held up well for over 150 days in the field, with lots of that time in the rain in sheep and goat country. If these Wapiti boots are that nice, especially for this price, I'll be happy.
As an aside, the Lowa Sheephunters I replaced the Mt. Hunters with have seen three hunting seasons now, but only have 70 or 80 days in them. The right boot,on the inside back, the seam is opening up. Grrr. Since the rest of the boots are still in good shape, I guess I should try and find someone who can fix it.
Hopefully you'll be happy with them. I have really enjoyed mine and they have held up well. AKU has a very solid reputation, and for the money, these are tough to pass up.
I ordered a pair of 12s from the college station TX store. For $75 shipped, tax and all you can't beat it.
Has anyone run into a store that has 13's? That looks like a great boot for that price or any price. Dean
eyeguy,

call the college station TX store. As of yesterday they had both the short and tall versions in 13 left. I called them from home yesterday and they are shipping me a pair.
Pretty good deal. Would be a nice knock around boot. If someone finds a pair of the shorts in 10 please shoot me a pm.

Thanks
i ordered two pair from the richmond, virginia store yesterday, and they sounded as though they had no shortage. i asked about 10.5's, 11's, and 12's in the 10" version - they had them all.
I was able to find a pair of 13 low's and high's in the Rochester Mn. store and they are on the way. They only have a few left in 13. I am a boot nut and didnt need them but to good to pass up.
Baylorum thanks for the response I thought they were going to be alot harder to find.
The Mooresville (Charlotte) store had a bunch of 10" boots left two days ago...
just ordered a pair from College Station, Tx...8 inch size 13 for 75$ shipped to Florida.....
Thanks Grimace!
man you guys have cost me so much money!!!
Originally Posted by IDMilton
I hope they are nice boots. Since I can't find any info. on- line, I based my decision on your comments and the sale price. I just ordered two pair, one for me in 10.5 and one for a buddy in 9. I called nine stores, I think, before I found them. I really hope they fit. If they are like the old style Cabelas Mt. Hunters, I'll be very happy. I have a pair of those and really like them. After four years in AK they needed resoled badly, and because I didb't condition the leather as I should have, I walked a hole in the right achilles flex point. They were (now they don't get into the hills because of the soles) super comfortable and they held up well for over 150 days in the field, with lots of that time in the rain in sheep and goat country. If these Wapiti boots are that nice, especially for this price, I'll be happy.
As an aside, the Lowa Sheephunters I replaced the Mt. Hunters with have seen three hunting seasons now, but only have 70 or 80 days in them. The right boot,on the inside back, the seam is opening up. Grrr. Since the rest of the boots are still in good shape, I guess I should try and find someone who can fix it.

IDMilton, would be interested in how you think they stack up against the Lowa's & the Mt Hunters after you get them.
Grimace, I'll try to remember to post a response and shoot you a PM comparing the three boots after I put some time in with the Wapitis. If I forget and you are still interested, you might want to remind me! My schedule is pretty bad until April, but I'll sttart breaking them in before on some weekend trips. In April I have to go to the fancy eye doc in Portland, and since I'll be there on April 14th I'll do Mt. Hood. (Probable in the Lowas, unless it is really cold, then I'll rent plastics, ack.) Then spring bear in May, so I'll give them a work out then.
As far as the Cabelas Mt. Hunters go compared to the Sheephunters, they are both super boots. I think the Cabelas is a little more comfortable for general hunting use, and a lot of that has to do with it is a little less stiff in the sole. I like the rand on the Sheephunters. If I know I'll be in the steep stuff with a load, I'd pick the Lowas. However, for me, no matter how I lace them, the Lowas give me a little pressure across my instep, cutting of some of the circulation. If I lace them like I should to hike in, my feet will be a little colder because of this. Again,this is what I've found, trying to fault them. They are both nice boots.
I've tried a bunch of insloes and the Spenco Hikers work best for me. With those in my boots, my poly liners, and my Thorlos, my feet are as happy as they can be.
I also ordered a pair for a friend. I've been trying to talk him into buying a real pair of boots for years. I hope they fit him and work out. The only problem will be that I have been trying to keep up with him for over twenty years while he wears his cheapos with slick soles, leaks, and no support. Now I'll have an even harder time hiking as fast as he does!
Got my two pair this morning. Because of the height of the boot, 10" and it thickness, not all pants will fit over the boot top.
But for $67.50 a pair, for that caliber of boot, how far back would you go to match that price? The '80's, 70's? And with no Goretex back then either.
Thanks again to Grimace for the "heads up"!
Thanks Grimace,

I got it done.

Curly
Grimace, Thanks, I got mine on my feet as I type. I was worried about ordering w/o tring on, but they fit exc. so far and feel nice. Allen
I ordered a pair in 8 inch and a pair in 10 inch yesterday at1pm and got them today at 1 pm. WOW. They look good with a good stiff but not crazy stiff sole. Feel true to size and width.They have a good sized toe box. What else can I say I like them.
I picked up 2 pairs of 10.5 tonight. They had 11's, 10.5's, 9's, 8.5's and a pair of 13's. Good grief, you can't even buy sneakers for that price.

Thanks for the heads up on this one.
I got my 12s in today (just got in from NYC). seem true to size and I like the sole, etc. Great deal for $75 shipped!

thanks G
Can someone tell me what temperature/conditions these boots would be used for? I understand they have a duratherm insulaion, but do not see if they are a 200, 400 gram etc...
Thanks for the info.
Do you have to order direct from a specific Gander Mountain store??

I'm up here in Canada and would love to find a pair in 11.5 but not sure how to go about it....

Anyone?
Rackmastr, I just ordered some yesterday. The GM in my area didn't carry the 3 forks ranch line, so they did a search and printed it out for me. It had about 25 GMs with the boot I wanted in my size, so I called the one that had the most in stock and ordered them. I am a 10.5 so I don't know about 11.5s, but I got mine from the GM in Palmbeach Gardens FL.
Thanks yotewhisperer.

They look like a really quality boot for the price....
Does anyone have a pic of the 8" model?

REally trying to decide whether to buy one or the other or just suck it up and buy both....lol
Maybe I just need someone to talk me into buying 2 pairs at once....lol

I hate the idea that they might not fit, but am guessing I could sell em down the road if they dont fit me well enough. I havea pair of 10" Lowa Sheephunters in the 'wide' model and am hoping that these would fit fine....just having a hard time decidnig if I need 2 pairs or just the short ones...lol
I'll have some 8" boots arriving in a day or two and I'll hang a pic for you, if nobody else does it by then.
I bought a couple pair in 11's - one low and one high......There were a couple pair of 11-high still left at the Gander Mountain in Green Bay if anyone is interested.

Thanks for the head's up on these.
Here is a pic of both a high & a low.

[Linked Image]
got mine today.

got to say, I've never been hunting in the mountains before - prepping for my first trip now. tried the meindl perfekt 10's, the meindl canada hunters, and settled on the meindl alaska hunters for fit, support and stiffness.

put these on today. the sole doesn't seem as stiff as the meindls, but then again, the alaska hunters are pretty stiff, imo.

the boots have more flex in the ankle than the meindls. but they are exceptionally comfortable, and even with the extra "flex", don't feel as though they compromise ankle support.

i feel as though they are very comparable to the meindl perfekt hunters.

suffice it to say, i cut the tags off and put a coat of obenauf's on them. though i've only been wearing them around the house tonight, i've very pleased with the comfort and fit. to think that i got them for $80 (tax/shipping included) is amazing. if i didn't have other gear to buy, it would be hard not to resist the temptation to "stock up" on another pair.

thanks for the heads up, grimace.
Thanks for posting the pic of the two....

I have a pair of the shorts coming....might regret not gettin both pairs but I figure I can make do with the short ones and my Lowa Sheephunters for the heavy duty stuff...

Thanks again to the guys sharin this info, and thanks especially to Skane, who went and grabbed me a pair at his local store.
Got my 8 inch size 13's today....they seem to be real quality boots and they feel good and are pretty comfortable...need some breaking in...dont know how warm they are ....they say "duotherm"...guess that is like thinsulate...will find out how warm they are this winter..
thanks again grimace
Afterum,

Did it say how much insulation they had, 200g, 400g???

Jeff
My understanding is that they are uninsulated boots. The "duotherm" was just underneath the footbed.

That could be wrong, but it's what I was told. These boots are thin, and if they are insulated it isn't much at all.
No, there was no indication of any kind of insulation value. The word "duotherm" however is written all over the lining of the boot, making me think it is in more than just the sole, but I dont know for sure. BTW there are "gore tex" stickers all over the place and "vibram" too.
That could be the case. I know you have to take what the Gander employee's say with a grain of salt sometimes and they are the ones who told me what I posted above. LOL.

I surely don't consider them a winter boot. But due to our locations, our definition of winter might be a little different. (grin)
Originally Posted by LC
Can someone tell me what temperature/conditions these boots would be used for? I understand they have a duratherm insulaion, but do not see if they are a 200, 400 gram etc...
Thanks for the info.

Been out of the country for a week...so sorry for the delayed response. When I spoke to the AKU rep a while back, he said that they use Duratherm in Europe (instead of Thinsulate) and that the 8" boot has about 400 grams & the 10" about 800. Pretty much standard for hunting boots of this caliber.
That's pretty good info....and better than I would have thought the boots had. I should pass that on the guy selling boots at Gander. Thanks again for the info Grimace!!!
One of the guys I talked to said they have about 200 grams insulation though are labeled uninsulated.

I just bought a pair Gander Mountain in Lubbock Tx. they have gone down in price again. I think $59.97 with the tax it was $64.92. They ordered in a 12 low for me. Daughter goes to Tech so will have her go pick them up.

I have a narrow foot, the 13 lows I had sent to me from Wichita, KS. feel litle wide. I'm afraid they may stretch in break in & end up with the sides touching in the middle no more room to pull laces tighter. They said they would take back the 13's from Wichita if the 12 fit better when I get down there to visit. May just keep both. Chris was Great help there in Lubbock (806) 785-1591.

I just wonder what other 3 Rivers products they have on sale? Should have asked.

Sig
no other boots, that's for sure.. my buddy asked whether there was an upland boot in the 3 forks line, and the wapiti was the only boot...
Got my 11 lows today.....great boot!!

Only issue I have is I'm used to wearing Lowa in the 'wide' model and these definatly are more narrow.....

Trying to decide if they might stretch a bit side to side or if its worth selling them and grabbing a new pair of Lowas down the road...

Nice boots so I'll wear them around the house for a couple days and decide....amazing quality for the price!!!
I've been wearing mine every since I got them and they seem fine so far. As usual the cheapo insole is the pits but I always have to change it out anyways, so oh well! I do like them though.
I have a pair of highs and a pair of lows on the way both in size 10.5. I wore the highs two times don't like them. I would be willing to part with them if someone needs a pair. I need what I paid for them and I,ll eat the shipping. get back with me [email protected]
Anybody still interested in the Aku Wapiti 8 in or 10 in? I just saw 35 pair,in all sizes. I will get the run down on all the sizes and get the Phone # for you all and post it tomorrow. Good boots, I came home and researched them and they are a winner. Stay tuned and you will have a pair or two. Thanks for the info on these boots, I am going back to get myself a pair and that is how I will get an inventory. Anyone interested, give me a heads up tonight. Thanks.
Gander Mountain in North Palm Beach, Fl. still have lots....
Aku Wapiti 8in. - size 10 = 1 Pair ...10 in. - Size 9 = 2 pair
10.5 = 4 10 = 1
11 = 3 10.5 = 3
11.5 = 1 11.5 = 8
12 = 1 12 = 7
13 = 1
Good luck fellas, I hope this helps.
Sorry, The first column is the 8 inch and the second column is the 10 inch.
FWIW, that is the store I ordered mine from. $5 shipping to Michigan. Can't beat it with a stick.
© 24hourcampfire