Home
Posted By: Ed_T Lost My Best Friend - 12/15/09
On December 2nd, I lost my best friend, my 14 1/2 year old chocolate lab Zuhya.

She lived an incredible life and was very active until the past six months. She was my constant companion whether running, hiking, backpacking or just hanging out.

She was a true lab and food was the most important thing in life. She was able to enjoy one last year at the cabin for elk season and one last Thanksgiving feast.

The house seems so very empty without her, even though we still have three labs around.

This has been a tough dog year at our house as we lost our 7 year old Yellow Lab Ali on July 6th to lymphoma.

I'm posting this here, 'cause this is where I mostly hang out.

Here is one of my favorite pictures of Zuhya during one of her times wearing the dreaded lampshade.

[Linked Image]

Zuhya especially mentored Gunr, our 2 1/2 year old Yellow Lab, and he has the same sweet disposition she did.

Here is Gunr following Zuhya back to the cabin.

[Linked Image]

I feel honored and blessed to have had such a wonderful friend. She taught me more that I taught her, especially about life.

I sure miss you Zuhya!
Posted By: CCH Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/15/09
Sorry to hear it Ed, that is certainly a rough year.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/15/09
Ed...you were honored and blessed...

Ingwe
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/15/09
Sorry for your loss Ed. Words never seem enough when we lose someone special. Only the passage of time ...

Those are some great pics in memoriam. The lower pic with little Gunr is priceless.
Posted By: SKane Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/15/09
Ed-

Hang in there bud. Nothing worse than losing a family member.
Posted By: heavywalker Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/15/09
Sorry to hear that. remember the good times and they will last forever
Posted By: PepeLp Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/15/09
Sorry for your loss.
Posted By: Scorpion Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/15/09
Sorry to hear about that, Ed. A very beautiful dog. The picture of her and Gunr is entirely too cool!
Posted By: battue Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/15/09
They always give more than they receive. Often makes me wonder why they stick around.

Remember the good times and carry on.
Posted By: Greyghost Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/15/09
I really feel for you ED, our animals are so precious to us.

Phil
Posted By: Doughboy Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/15/09
You were lucky to have such a good dog! Sorry for your loss.
Ed, big time sorry for your loss. We sure are blessed with good friends in our dogs. I had my last lab 15 years and still remember a lot of good times, and will never forget them or the last day.

Glad you had the time with her that you did.

I have a good friend of mine who has an incredible male chocolate named Tango who's gonna be a pappa this winter. Think they're gonna come up with some very good pups. They live in G Falls and if you're up to it I can put you in touch with them.

Sorry again for you loss!

Dober
Posted By: KodiakHntr Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/15/09
Ed, sorry for your loss.

Took my 9yr old chocolate lab in to the vet last thursday to have him put down because his back legs were giving him a lot of pain. Vet gave me some options, and I spent a lot of money to buy myself another 6 months with him.

I feel your loss.
Posted By: rost495 Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/15/09
Ed

Very sorry to hear that. Words can't quite convey my feelings.

Jeff
Posted By: Ed_T Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/15/09
Thanks to all for the kind words.

Dober,

I think we are going to hold pat for a while. Gunr will be 3 in the spring and Ebony, a black lab and our last girl will be 11 in May.

Our pup, Medjed a black male will be a year the end of January.

When we got Medjed, we said we were at 5 labs on our way to two, but we sure didn't think we'd be this close so fast.

When they have the liter, let know anyway, since Zhuya came form Gt Falls too. You never know!

Posted By: WoodsWalker Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/15/09
That's hard news Ed. frown
Posted By: MtnHtr Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/15/09
Ed,

I'm sorry for your loss, I offer my sympathy and understanding.

MtnHtr

Posted By: MarkG Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/15/09
Ed,

I'm sorry to hear of your families loss. I lost my 14 year old Black lab max in October. He missed his 15th Birthday by 2 weeks. It's been a tough go here as well. He was our only lab, we have a Pug named Maggie, and she misses him too.
You are in my thoughts. It is truly amazing how much these gifts from God can impact our lives.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/15/09

Tough deal Ed. Sorry to hear of your loss. After 14 1/2 years, "just a dog" becomes such an integral family member.

Lots of us here have BTDT, but doubt that makes it any easier for you. Plus, labs are just the best.

Posted By: petr Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/15/09
dude, you're breaking me up over here.

long live our gun dogs.
Posted By: NH Hunter Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/15/09

Ed,

Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. It is difficult for sure.

We're day by day with a couple of our dogs as well, a 15 year old Belgian Sheppard mix and 13 year old Golden.

We have two 5 year old yellow labs that will keep each other company as well, but the wife and I have talked and I think we're going to stay at 2 when the time comes.

It really is amazing how dogs become a member of the family.

Mike.
Posted By: olypen Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/15/09
Sorry for your loss Ed. That day is coming soon at our house as well and we sure aren't looking forward to it. Denny
Posted By: Pete E Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/15/09
Ed,

Very sorry to hear of your loss. The bond between man and dog has to be one of the most unique and inexplicable in nature. I prefer to be around my dog than around a great many humans I know..

Regards,

Peter
Posted By: Ella Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/15/09
Good dogs are a dime a dozen. A really good dog is a rare thing.

Sounds like this one was tops.

I don't know you but you have my deep sympathy.

Ella
Posted By: DOO Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/16/09
Ed sorry about the loss of your Best Friend..... DOO
Posted By: Adkstalker Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/16/09
Sorry for your loss...

Too many good dogs lost this year...I hope my Rocky, and all lost ones are waiting at the bridge...
Posted By: kenaiking Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/16/09
Ed,

Sorry to hear that. Its never easy to give up a friend.
Posted By: Miller Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/16/09
I'm a firm believer that the best thing for the inside of a man is the outside of a dog. I'm sure you'd agree. My heart is with you!
Posted By: Carl_Ross Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/16/09
Sorry to hear that Ed. I've never owned a dog, but I understand the loss can be pretty intense. Here's hoping it doesn't linger too hard or long.

Best wishes,
Carl
Posted By: 1akhunter Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/16/09
sorry to hear of your loss Ed, having a really great dog is a two edged sword

heaven on earth while they're with you

hell on earth when they're gone.

still miss my Tera, damned near 10 years later, need to go tidy up her grave site this spring

tis the thing I look most forward to upon retirement, time to take a dog everywhere I go, or I don't need to go there
Posted By: DanAdair Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/16/09
Losing a dog always sucks. I feel for ya Ed.

Especially labs, they're so sweet and even tempered.

I'm about to drain my 401K and s few other assets to give to an attorney. My soon to be ex apparently thought I was joking when I said I wanted joint custody with Rocky.

There's more than one way to lose a dog frown
Posted By: Ready Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/16/09
My dog to me my dearest be,
says you, mankind, is sin.
My dog stays true through storms to me,
mankind waivers in wind.

from Germany

Ed, I feel for you.
I'm sorry for your loss; I'm sure it's probably tough on the other pups as well. Hope you have many great times with them in the coming years.
Posted By: David_Walter Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/16/09
Ed,

I lost Beau to cancer this spring. He was my best buddy, the one to turn to when I just needed a friend, or someone to take a walk with, or to just hang out throwing a ball.

I'll know I made it to heaven if I open my eyes and he's there waiting for me.

I live everyday hoping to be the man my grand mother and my dog thought I was.
Posted By: Gone_Huntin Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/16/09
Ed - So sorry for your loss, I have been in your shoes and it is no one of the worst pains I have known. They truly are mans best friend. Just remeber all the good times.
Posted By: TheBigSky Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/17/09
I'm sorry to hear that Ed. Old dogs care about you even when you make mistakes.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/17/09
Condolences ed.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/17/09
Sorry for your loss Ed, you were both lucky to have each other. Hopefully Gunr can help fill that void she has left.
Posted By: zeke612 Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/17/09
Sorry for your loss.
Posted By: Oregonmuley Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/17/09
Thats tough - sorry for your loss. My old Chocolate Lab Amber is also about 14 and shes slowed down a bunch, but shes hanging in so I'm greatful to have her.
Posted By: avagadro Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/17/09
Ed ... I too am sorry for your loss, we had to put our Zoey down at 5 years young due to cancer about six weeks ago. At 14 1/2 years with your girl was truely a blessing. Hell I'm starting to well up now thinking of her ....
God Bless.
Posted By: Bighorn Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/17/09
Someday we'll understand why the Creator gives us so little time with them...
Posted By: Cigar Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/18/09
Brutal... Sorry for your loss..
Posted By: Ebby Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/19/09
Ed, sorry for your loss. I lost my lab Sam in February of this year. He was my best friend and constant companion. I aquired him my senior yr of college and took him to Medical school with me. It was just the two of us in my house for 4 years. My wife never knew me without knowing him. He went everywhere with us and lived to retrieve/hunt. One year he made over 400 retrieves on ducks. Easiest dog to train I've ever had. We moved back to MS with the kids and he seemed to really slow down after we moved back. More dramatic than should have been. One day while playing in the yard with the kids, he couldn't get up. His back legs quit working. He had a tumor in his spine that had compressed his cord. It was unbelievable because he was completely with it mentally but I had to put him down. Hardest thing I have ever done. I feel your pain. I have 2 other dogs and 2 kids with another on the way but there is a void that I will never fill. I miss him every day and people call me crazy but they don't understand. I wish you the best Ed and hope you can get through it.
Lee
Posted By: NYStillHunter Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/21/09
I am Sorry Ed for you and yours.
Posted By: MarcTaylor Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/22/09
Very sad for you. Not looking forward to this day with my Wedda. She's 7.

Taylor
Posted By: ingwe Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/22/09
Originally Posted by Ebby
I have 2 other dogs and 2 kids with another on the way but there is a void that I will never fill. I miss him every day and people call me crazy but they don't understand.
Lee

Some of us understand... frown

Ingwe

Dogs are one of the soulish creatures God placed on this earth. I have Baush, a GWP, a little house dog, Effie, and two "granddogs" (good grief). Holidays in our house resemble a pound.
Posted By: Ebby Re: Lost My Best Friend - 12/23/09
Thanks Ingwe. There are a few of us around. I duck hunt only to let my dogs work. They love it. I love watching them work. I know Ed is going through a lot right now.
Posted By: las Re: Lost My Best Friend - 01/04/10
Ed - on 12/31 we had to put our Weasel (Dachshund) down due to galloping liver cancer. He was only 12. Our 6 year old Lab has been looking for him for the last couple days....

Campfire dog owners understand the loss....
Posted By: model70man Re: Lost My Best Friend - 01/04/10
I'm very sorry to hear that. I'm still grieving for my little cocker and it's been over a year. Nothing like old dogs to get to a man's heart.
Posted By: Ed_T Re: Lost My Best Friend - 01/04/10
Thanks to everyone for the kind words and my condolences to all of you that have lost your friends as well.

The Holliday's were rather flat without Zuhya and Ali. They both had a lot of energy and presence. Zuhya had that presence even when she could no longer get up without help.

One of my winter projects is to build urns for both Ali's and Zuhya's ashes. I am going to build them from Rocky Mountain Juniper that my Dad and I cut over 10 years ago. My Dad was the master wood worker and cabinet maker. I have always found it easier to work with metal, but I am looking forward to this.

Happy New year to all and remember to appreciate your dogs while they are with you.
Posted By: KLM Re: Lost My Best Friend - 01/05/10
Ed:
My heart goes out to you. There is nothing like a good dog to help us understand life. I don't now if it gets better but it helps me understand what really matters (God, family (including dogs), everything else). Almost lost my 6 year old Lab just before Christmas. While making a great retrieve across a creek we think she picked up a bone or feather fragment in her mouth. 48 hours later an abscess had formed behind her eye and she spent 5 days at the Iowa State University Veterinary hospital in ICU. She lost her left eye and has nerve damage to the side of her face. Thankfully she lives to be my constant companion.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 1akhunter Re: Lost My Best Friend - 01/05/10
sorry for the best friend losses. BTDT wish I didn't have the t'shirt.

but dang las, I had no idea the Weasel is gone!

felt like I knew the little varmint, all the pix and stories that included the Weasel.

maybe you'd posted it before but I just saw it here, hate it for you sir, I know that dog played a big role in your life.
Posted By: ChrisF Re: Lost My Best Friend - 01/08/10
It's a good friend that will sell his toys to raise funds for the best medical care as you did a few months back. Your dogs are fortunate to have had you. May the pain fade but never completely go away and may the great memories stay with you always to bring a smile when you need one.
Posted By: Monashee Re: Lost My Best Friend - 01/08/10
EdT,I am very sorry to hear of your loss.My wife just brought my 11 1/2 year old chocolate back from emergency surgery in Calgary,he had Laryngial Paralysis,and thankfully the surgery was successful and he can breathe again.I know I'll lose him someday and when I do I hope I can face my loss with the grace with which you have accepted yours. Best wishes,Monashee
© 24hourcampfire