Home
I am looking for some input here on a very packable, 850 down sleeping bag rated for 15* or something close. Right now I am most interested in the Marmot Helium 15*. However there are some of you here who have more info on this topic.
So, what is out there for small (loaf of bread) down bag?
Thanks.
Marmot Helium rocks! I am sure there are others, but hard to find fault with the Helium.
The Valandre Mirage would do well if you can manage the cost.
I'm a big Mont-Bell fan. I just got one of their new UL Super Spiral Down Hugger bags in a 30 degree and like it a lot. They make a 15 degree bag as well.

Another good bag that pretty reasonable is the Mountain Hardware Phantom 15.

I think both Mont-Bell and Mountain Hardware bags are 800 fill, but they are the equal of Marmots IMO.

The Helium is a good bag. I had one of the earlier ones and liked it except for the short zipper, which I believe they lengthened.
Originally Posted by SnowyMountaineer
The Valandre Mirage would do well if you can manage the cost.

x2

really nice bag.
Feathered Friends Winter Wren with two ounce overstuff.

http://www.featheredfriends.com/Picasso/Bags/Specialty.html

It also doubles as campware.
I'm a big fan of my Mountain Hardwear phantom 32. I just ordered the 0 degree model too. I'm sure the 15 degree one would be just as good.
I like mine. Well made. I've had it for five + years? Same comment as Ed as to zipper length. The zipper length works great for getting in and out of the bag, it's just not a full length zipper which I'd rather have. So I can open it up like a blanket on warm nights. Ed mentioned the more recent models may have a longer zipper?

Sizing: I have a regular length. Some may find it a bit snug, it is an ultra light, I'm 5' 7" and 175 lbs. Its perfect for me girth wise, may be not so for bigger guys. Throw one on the floor at REI, etc. and try it on.

It packs down nice and small and is lightweight.

Temperature Rating- I sleep cold anymore, if I've been hiking/hunting all day (tired body), so I add 5 to 8 dgrees to any bag, the same with this one. However, it was right on the money for 15 degrees when I tested it in the backyard (i.e, with a nice and rested body and a nice warm supper inside the house).

-Hope this helps. I'd listen to Ed, his vocation is testing equipment, literally.

I also bought the Hydrogen (30*) for summer nights, but found I like the Helium better in mountains (summer).

Another vote for Montbell.... the #1 SS U.L. is a 15 degree bag - I have used the #2 with a thermal wrap layer on to under 15 degrees though and was very happy.
I was a Mountain Hardwear dealer for years and I am always sporting some of their fine gear - I had the Phantom but it was tight in the shoulders for me, I like the room and the way the Super stretch works with the Montbell.
And yeah the Valandre gets all the respect - great stuff.
Thanks fellas, I'll check these out.
Hard to find much fault with the helium unless you need a full length zipper or more room. I love my helium, warm and comfortable for lightweight backpacking.
how about a Alpkit pipedream 600
I have a Western mountaineering badger. It is a wider cut bag that I really like, so you can layer clothes on if the temp drops down to 0 or so. It also has a full length zipper. Quality is excellent.

The shell is VERY water resistant also! ( I have the microfiber version)
Just bought a Western Mtn'ng Badger GWS in 7'---total silliness and great bag!
I almost bought the helium but went with the Montbell UL SS #1 (15 degree) for the extra room... and don't regret my choice. If you like space, the stretch is awesome.

My buddy uses a feathered friends bag and it seems pretty sweet, well made/tough.
Originally Posted by bwortman
I have a Western mountaineering badger. It is a wider cut bag that I really like, so you can layer clothes on if the temp drops down to 0 or so. It also has a full length zipper. Quality is excellent.

The shell is VERY water resistant also! ( I have the microfiber version)

+1
Love the badger.
Marmot's claim of 850ci down was/is largely BS (as was proven several years back in lab tests).

If you want a top of the top drawer bag there are two choices... Valandre or Western Mountaineering. WM is USA made so that's what I choose.

Marmot and Montbell bags are excellent but are Chinese made... I prefer my money to go state-side when possible.

+2 Badger fan here
I went with a WM Kodiak.
WM Antelope here.
I've had a WM Dakota, Antelope and currently have two Versalite's in the house. I won't own another make of bag.
Brad,

How do you like those Versalites?? I'm 5'9 160. Do you think there is enough space to sleep and not be mummified wink I like a good fit bag just not constricting.
AL, I love mine. I'm 5'10"/160... the Versalite has a 62" chest girth which works well for me, not too constricting.
Another vote for the Vesalite. I love mine.
Bigwhoop, did you ever purchase a bag? You received some great recommendations on bags.

Thanks,
Rudy
www.windedbowhunter.com
Originally Posted by Brad
Marmot's claim of 850ci down was/is largely BS (as was proven several years back in lab tests).

If you want a top of the top drawer bag there are two choices... Valandre or Western Mountaineering. WM is USA made so that's what I choose.

Marmot and Montbell bags are excellent but are Chinese made... I prefer my money to go state-side when possible.

+1; If you expect higher humidity, rain etc, then definitely go with the Western Mountaineering Antelope with Gore Windstopper (GW) outer shell; otherwise, they also have a line of bags without the GW, versalite being one example. They are all excellent.

If you must choose the Valandre, I recommend the Mirage or Bloody Mary for your purposes, keeping in mind that it provides lower moisture protection but enhanced breathability over any GW fabric.
Originally Posted by HighCountry46
WM Antelope here.

I love my Antelope, but, alas, it is too narrow in the shoulders.
frown
That is what happens when you buy stuff over the internet sometimes!
laugh
Big whoop you didn't state your height weight. I'm 6'3 and 230 lbs....Badger fits with room to move...My favorite 15 deg. bag.
I love my Badger also. Great bag!!!!

Any links to those tests?

Nothing here supports your claim: Marmot Helium

From Marmot's website: The Helium features certified 850+ Fill Goose Down the best weight to warmth down in the market; independently tested and certified by International Down and Feather Laboratory in Salt Lake City, Utah. Retested at fill time in Santa Rosa to ensure 850+ fill power every time. EN Tested

International Down and Feather Laboratory

Marmot and Montbell bags are excellent but are Chinese made

Not entirely:

From Marmot: Filled and Finished in Santa Rosa, California

Everyone I know who owns a Marmot Helium has been satisfied. Plenty of positive reviews as well.

Just pointing this out for the masses here.........

MtnHtr

--------------------------------------------------------------
Right on Brad .

Western Mountaineering all the way for me -40* Mitylite and 25* Sycamore MF.
Yep, he's right on.........

MtnHtr
I would love to have one of the WM over stuf bags with Goretex. Do you ever have anycondensation issues? I will never use a bivy sack again for this reason.

I hate Chineese made stuff and they may be off on the 850 or whatever, but have you used one? I got mine for $220 with REI rebate and to say it is junk is ignorance at best. Not a pissing match just love when some one has brand whatever and makes these claims. It is a nice bag for the price!
I have a Marmot Arroyo and its been a great bag. I use a syn bag with my Ti goat bivy and no issues there so far.

I like US made products as much as most folks but sometimes the quality is not always there.

I never posted WM is a better or less bag, I thought I might learn something about Marmot's failed lab tests on bags. The older reviews on the Helium are solid as well. Maybe they got cheap and then wisened up? I'm sure thats the answer we'll receive.

MtnHtr
Actually Stacey, I mis-spoke (I tend to go by memory, not google-ninjary)... Marmot made initial claims of 900 ci down for the bags (not 850 ci) when they first appeared around 2004-2005... after it was revealed how they were arriving at the 900 ci figure (as I recall lot of drying and retesting was involved), they dropped the figure to 850 ci., which is where it stands now.

Like I said, excellent Chinese made bags. No matter how you parse "made" or "inhale", they're Chinese made. Western is owned by the same folks who owned them 30 years ago, and still US made.

My Marmot Zeus Vest and Jacket are both Chinese made, as is my sons Marmot bag. I had a 1982 made Marmot down bag that was US made, as did my wife, but that was years back before Marmot had been sold and resold several times to larger corps.

I still have a US made Marmot Goretex jacket that is going strong.

Can't recall, were you backpacking seriously in 2004 when Marmot first announced the 900 ci fill or did you take it up more recently?

Actually Stacey, I mis-spoke (I tend to go by memory, not google-ninjary)...

Nope, you posted some BS about Marmot on this thread and when called to back it up you put your usual spin on it.

MtnHtr

Wow, same thinned skinned little man you've always been... pretty hard to understand getting 900 and 850 ci's mixed up over 6 years huh?
Here ya go Staci, did some google ninjary you're so good at...

http://outside.away.com/outside/gea...m-EQ&gear_id=146&action=showgear
More google-ninjary Stacey... following your lead, I'm getting sorta good at this.

Even in 2005 Marmot was claiming 900 ci down fill... which was later reduced to 850ci's when it was challenged by others in the industry...

http://web.archive.org/web/20051004002509/www.marmot.com/headlines/index.php?anchor=55#55
More spin from Brad, and typical name calling in Bradley fashion. The link does not prove anything.... you got called out and came up empty as usual.

Try another gasp, you have a few straws left I take it.

MtnHtr
"Called out"... too funny.

Marmot claimed 900 ci... and later reduced the number to 850.

Marmot bags are Chinese made.

Still nice bags IMO, though not quite up to WM.

Still nice bags IMO, though not quite up to WM.

And where did I post Marmot bags were better than WM?

Stick to the question and concentrate.........where are the failed 850ci lab tests you posted about?

MtnHtr
The failed lab tests were about the 900 ci down... hard to follow I know...
Actually Stacey, I mis-spoke (I tend to go by memory, not google-ninjary)... Marmot made initial claims of 900 ci down for the bags (not 850 ci) when they first appeared around 2004-2005... after it was revealed how they were arriving at the 900 ci figure (as I recall lot of drying and retesting was involved), they dropped the figure to 850 ci., which is where it stands now.

Remember?

You posted Marmot was/is full of BS in regards to their 850ci down. Nowhere was 900 fill mentioned until you were called on it.

Put some more of your Bradley spin on it, I suppose you've owned 20-30 sleeping bags along with your 50 rifles you claimed you've owned and loaded for.

MtnHtr
Wow... I tell you I had a lapse of memory regarding 900 ci and 850 ci and you're willing to keep going over something so trivial. Unreal.

You really are a [bleep] up little man...

Continue on dude...
Don't BS us with your so called memory lapse, you're the only poster on here that knows more about a manufacturer's product than they know. Remember Dan Mchale? And putting down Mark Seacat of Mystery Ranch? And now Marmot's 850ci Helium!

"[bleep] up little man"? Does name calling while hiding behind your monitor make you feel bigger?

So how many folks on here sold their trekking poles and took up your cane?

MtnHtr
Continue on little man...
BTW, remember lying about the gear review you posted using my full name... want to go there again Stacey?

I really want to meet you in person... you are really one [bleep] up little man.
Fire away, that review was public info gathered from your posts here. Nothing malicious whatsoever.

Perhaps I should post some of your PMs on here, using the printscreen feature?

And how about the email you sent out crying how RickBin was going to ban you for posting erroneous info regarding him?

RickBin should have banned you!

MtnHtr

Originally Posted by MtnHtr
Fire away, that review was public info gathered from your posts here. Nothing malicious whatsoever

So you finally admit you did post that review using my full name... what a [bleep] little liar.

I can't fathom how anyone believes anything you have to say... you're disturbed.

Mr. Namecaller Brad,

Why are you so mad about that review? There was nothing malicious about it.

At one time I thought you were okay, then your name started popping up whenever anything bad was posted regarding Remingtons. Than another poster got banned on here and you were involved and tried to involve me. Then your arguments with several well known gear manufacturers including ones in your own home town cropped up. And then your Zolatone recommendation - so far off but not surprising.

Your rule is your way or no way regarding gear, it has to be your choice, if not then its not up to your arrogant standards. More than one way to skin a cat IME.

I got nothing more to say except have a good one. And go cool off!

MtnHtr
what a complete [bleep] fraud... and a known liar.
Here ya go Staci, did some google ninjary you're so good at...

http://outside.away.com/outside/gea...m-EQ&gear_id=146&action=showgear

-------------------------------------------------------------

WOW -a waterproof -windproof -yet breathable sleeping bag -NOT sure i believe this review about the marmot bag..
I want a Badger. But I have heard the Marmot bags are pretty good. The WM sure are pricey thou. I have a buddy who has the Marmot helium, and a WM badger. He says they are equal and would recommend the heium because of the better price.
© 24hourcampfire