Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I am looking for some input here on a very packable, 850 down sleeping bag rated for 15* or something close. Right now I am most interested in the Marmot Helium 15*. However there are some of you here who have more info on this topic.
So, what is out there for small (loaf of bread) down bag?
Thanks.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Marmot Helium rocks! I am sure there are others, but hard to find fault with the Helium.

Good Shooting!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The Valandre Mirage would do well if you can manage the cost.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I'm a big Mont-Bell fan. I just got one of their new UL Super Spiral Down Hugger bags in a 30 degree and like it a lot. They make a 15 degree bag as well.

Another good bag that pretty reasonable is the Mountain Hardware Phantom 15.

I think both Mont-Bell and Mountain Hardware bags are 800 fill, but they are the equal of Marmots IMO.

The Helium is a good bag. I had one of the earlier ones and liked it except for the short zipper, which I believe they lengthened.

Ed T

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SnowyMountaineer
The Valandre Mirage would do well if you can manage the cost.

x2

really nice bag.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Feathered Friends Winter Wren with two ounce overstuff.

http://www.featheredfriends.com/Picasso/Bags/Specialty.html

It also doubles as campware.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I'm a big fan of my Mountain Hardwear phantom 32. I just ordered the 0 degree model too. I'm sure the 15 degree one would be just as good.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like mine. Well made. I've had it for five + years? Same comment as Ed as to zipper length. The zipper length works great for getting in and out of the bag, it's just not a full length zipper which I'd rather have. So I can open it up like a blanket on warm nights. Ed mentioned the more recent models may have a longer zipper?

Sizing: I have a regular length. Some may find it a bit snug, it is an ultra light, I'm 5' 7" and 175 lbs. Its perfect for me girth wise, may be not so for bigger guys. Throw one on the floor at REI, etc. and try it on.

It packs down nice and small and is lightweight.

Temperature Rating- I sleep cold anymore, if I've been hiking/hunting all day (tired body), so I add 5 to 8 dgrees to any bag, the same with this one. However, it was right on the money for 15 degrees when I tested it in the backyard (i.e, with a nice and rested body and a nice warm supper inside the house).

-Hope this helps. I'd listen to Ed, his vocation is testing equipment, literally.

I also bought the Hydrogen (30*) for summer nights, but found I like the Helium better in mountains (summer).

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Another vote for Montbell.... the #1 SS U.L. is a 15 degree bag - I have used the #2 with a thermal wrap layer on to under 15 degrees though and was very happy.
I was a Mountain Hardwear dealer for years and I am always sporting some of their fine gear - I had the Phantom but it was tight in the shoulders for me, I like the room and the way the Super stretch works with the Montbell.
And yeah the Valandre gets all the respect - great stuff.

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks fellas, I'll check these out.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Hard to find much fault with the helium unless you need a full length zipper or more room. I love my helium, warm and comfortable for lightweight backpacking.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
how about a Alpkit pipedream 600

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have a Western mountaineering badger. It is a wider cut bag that I really like, so you can layer clothes on if the temp drops down to 0 or so. It also has a full length zipper. Quality is excellent.

The shell is VERY water resistant also! ( I have the microfiber version)

Last edited by bwortman; 05/11/10.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just bought a Western Mtn'ng Badger GWS in 7'---total silliness and great bag!

Psalm 18:34 ->>---->
He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.
AHM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I almost bought the helium but went with the Montbell UL SS #1 (15 degree) for the extra room... and don't regret my choice. If you like space, the stretch is awesome.

My buddy uses a feathered friends bag and it seems pretty sweet, well made/tough.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by bwortman
I have a Western mountaineering badger. It is a wider cut bag that I really like, so you can layer clothes on if the temp drops down to 0 or so. It also has a full length zipper. Quality is excellent.

The shell is VERY water resistant also! ( I have the microfiber version)

+1
Love the badger.

Decades of voting for the lesser of two evils has gotten us just that.....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Marmot's claim of 850ci down was/is largely BS (as was proven several years back in lab tests).

If you want a top of the top drawer bag there are two choices... Valandre or Western Mountaineering. WM is USA made so that's what I choose.

Marmot and Montbell bags are excellent but are Chinese made... I prefer my money to go state-side when possible.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+2 Badger fan here

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I went with a WM Kodiak.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
WM Antelope here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 60 invisible), 2,913 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,849
Posts18,478,465
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.