Home
Posted By: 16bore Inflatable sleeping pads - 03/03/14
Going cross-eyed looking at the things. Anything around $100 worth a schit? Decent R value? Been using a RidgeRest and thought I may switch.
Posted By: Brad Re: Inflatable sleeping pads - 03/03/14
Find a Thermarest Neoair on sale.
New models come out every year. You can usually pick up a gently used pad for around $100.
Posted By: Shag Re: Inflatable sleeping pads - 03/03/14
I can't get rid of my Big Agnes. It just won't fail. Keep thinking of the Neoair but I like schitt I can count on so I haven't switched. Not yet anyway..

Posted By: sollybug Re: Inflatable sleeping pads - 03/03/14
I love my big agnes insulated and under 100. I am going to pick up a klymit next month, also under 100. I love the big agnes way better than my ridge rest, thick, comfy and quiet.
Posted By: pal Re: Inflatable sleeping pads - 03/03/14
My Neoair failed on my last outing. Haven't tried to find the leak, yet.
Inflatable pads FAIL at the least-appropriate moment. See above.

Closed-cell foam reflects heat best and is indestructible unless you burn it in a fire.

Disclaimer: you must be capable of handling approximately 6 oz more weight in your pack to handle a closed-cell foam pad over an inflatable. Some on this "Backpack Hunting" forum are not capable.
Were two large Neoairs, one original and one all season for sale on backpacking light for $100/each last night. I've got a large xtherm I used one night I'll sell you for $185.

It would seem someone would "weld" an air pad and closed cell together.
Posted By: Kevin_T Re: Inflatable sleeping pads - 03/03/14
I had no problem getting my big Agnes pad to fail. I guess I was lucky. Get a small prolite torso and couple it with your Ridgrest
Originally Posted by Kevin_T
I had no problem getting my big Agnes pad to fail. I guess I was lucky. Get a small prolite torso and couple it with your Ridgrest

The XS Prolite weighs 8oz and you can find evazote pads that are a lot lighter than a Ridgerest.
Posted By: deflave Re: Inflatable sleeping pads - 03/03/14
I like my Big Agnes and Thermarest NeoAir but in my opinion they all leak and all fail eventually.

Travis
Those neo air pads sure are loud.

Crinkly SOB's...
Posted By: Kevin_T Re: Inflatable sleeping pads - 03/03/14
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

The XS Prolite weighs 8oz and you can find evazote pads that are a lot lighter than a Ridgerest.

That is what I usually use a light Eva pad coupled with the pro lite
Posted By: Brad Re: Inflatable sleeping pads - 03/03/14
Prolite has discontinued sales of Evazote... just a head's up.

I carry a 1/4" Evazote pad with a Neoair.

But the original question wasn't about what we use, was about what inflatable to get...
Posted By: 16bore Re: Inflatable sleeping pads - 03/03/14

I've got a prolite that I picked up for a song and have done that before. Was thinking a bigger inflatable would kill 2 birds with one stone. One thing for sure is the ridge rest doubled over makes for a nice seat for a tired ass. I sleep on my side and end up with pretty sore hips. Thought about ditching it all and trying a hammock, but that's a whole different ball game.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Inflatable sleeping pads - 03/03/14
If you're talking bigger as in thicker and more comfortable, look at an Exped. They're more than $100 though.
Posted By: ken999 Re: Inflatable sleeping pads - 03/03/14
Klymit Static V insulated...

http://www.campmor.com/klymit-insulated-static-v-inflatable-sleeping-pad.shtml

Have one on order...
Posted By: snubbie Re: Inflatable sleeping pads - 03/03/14
One irritation to me is the lack of width unless you get a "large" with most of these packs. I'd rather have 48" or so with a 24" width. The only way to get the 24" is with a 77" length.

That ^Klymit above^ looks pretty good for the money.

Here it is for $50 http://www.amazon.com/Klymit-Static...&sr=1-1&keywords=klymit+static+v
Posted By: alukban Re: Inflatable sleeping pads - 03/03/14
I really like my Xtherm.

I find that I have to deflate it to be comfy - so it can conform to me more.

I had it on an overnight once and discovered the next morning that I had under-inflated it too much. I thought it had leaked because it was about only 1/3 inflated but it still kept me super warm that night on compacted snow that turned into a slippery sheet of ice under me (only went down to 19�F though).

The reflective stuff in there works extremely well. It is directional, however. I discovered that on another night that only went down to about 28�F. I had set up in the dark and put the bottom side up and friggin' froze - didn't figure it out until the next morning.

I think that if an Xtherm were to go flat that one could still stuff brush, your pack, jacket, etc. under you and it will still get your through the night in a pinch. I've been meaning to test it out - should even try to use it very lightly inflated in a double bottom hammock.
Posted By: ken999 Re: Inflatable sleeping pads - 03/03/14
I think that is the un insulated model Snubbie.
Originally Posted by snubbie
One irritation to me is the lack of width unless you get a "large" with most of these packs. I'd rather have 48" or so with a 24" width. The only way to get the 24" is with a 77" length.

That ^Klymit above^ looks pretty good for the money.

Here it is for $50 http://www.amazon.com/Klymit-Static...&sr=1-1&keywords=klymit+static+v
The R value of the Klymit is almost negligible. Check out the Kelty Recluse line for more than twice the insulation. I have a Recluse 3.0 which is a rectangular mattress and is plenty warm for 3 season. It's a little heavy for backpacking, though, just right for my 4 legged friends to haul.
Posted By: snubbie Re: Inflatable sleeping pads - 03/03/14
Originally Posted by ken999
I think that is the un insulated model Snubbie.

Oh well that makes sense then. Thought I'd found a killer deal!

I use a large Neoair & love it. The R value is good & it's comfortable, "crinkle" sound isn't even on the radar though I've heard some complain. I put down a Tyvek sheet, then 1/4" evazote then the Neoair. I baby it and take care with it but I know it will fail someday & I'm always looking for a more economical alternative. Truth be told, if it failed next trip I'd likely buy another one to replace it.
Posted By: pointer Re: Inflatable sleeping pads - 03/03/14
FWIW, I've used my uninsulated BA Air Core to below freezing. It worked...okay. That with a small piece of foam under it did pretty well into the teens. That said, I'd really like to add an insulated air core for trips where I'm pretty sure it'll be below freezing. I've just been too cheap so far and made due...

PS- I've had my pad for a decade now and it hasn't failed yet! (knocking on wood)
Posted By: KC Re: Inflatable sleeping pads - 03/03/14

I own a BA Insulated Air Core mattress that's tapered. It's a good mattress but I wiggle around too much so the tapered mattress doesn't work for me.

I bought a Therm-A-Rest NeoAir, large, rectangular and I love it.

I use a foam pad under my air mattress for puncture protection.

I think if I had purchased a rectangular BA mattress I would still be using it.

KC

Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Inflatable sleeping pads - 03/04/14
Originally Posted by Brad

+2.
Posted By: KCBighorn Re: Inflatable sleeping pads - 03/08/14
Originally Posted by Shag
I can't get rid of my Big Agnes. It just won't fail. Keep thinking of the Neoair but I like schitt I can count on so I haven't switched. Not yet anyway..

Me too.
My 6 yr old son and I are laying in a go-lite Shangri la 3 as I type this right now, both on klymit static v's in the backyard. 37 degrees.outside right now...he was itching to go camping, and its nice and toasty in the tent right now...little thermometer reading almost 50 in the tent; but we are only 40 yards away from the backdoor should he get cold.
Anyway love the klymit static v's...had ours for going on 3 years so far.
Thanks for the link on the insulated ones...may have to look into that.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Inflatable sleeping pads - 03/10/14
For hiking, I like the NeoAir. I sleep a hell of a lot better on it than I did a 1" self inflating pad.

I'd hang from a tree before I'd lug a folding foam pad. I did that when I was young and dumb and its for the birds. My creaky old carcass needs at least 1.5" of padding and 2" is noticeably better.

Tom
Posted By: wildone Re: Inflatable sleeping pads - 03/14/14
I've had a big agness since 2003 that I use the [bleep] out of and still have not had a failure.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Inflatable sleeping pads - 03/15/14
Picked up a BA Air Core this past week. Took a nap on the basement floor with it so far, pretty damn impressive for $50.
Posted By: 16bore Re: Inflatable sleeping pads - 03/25/14
Over nighter this past weekend, Agnes is one comfy som bitch.
which BA?
Posted By: 16bore Re: Inflatable sleeping pads - 03/25/14
The regular Air Core. Took a Z Lite as well for lumbering around the fire and hanging out on the peaks. Then kinda used it as a box spring under the Air Core. Slept like a baby.....
Posted By: Biggs300 Re: Inflatable sleeping pads - 03/26/14
My BA Air Core is still going strong as well. When I'm not using my ThermaRest UltraLite Cot, I use my BA. If I don't have to backpack very far, I use both. The combo makes for a great night's sleep.
You know all those sharp rocks & sticks that an air pad protects you from? The pad needs protection from them, too. Even if they don't poke holes in it, they can stress and weaken the seams so they fail later.
Posted By: wvtradbow Re: Inflatable sleeping pads - 03/26/14
REI has some nice Exped look a likes that are reasonable..
I have had a Thermorest Trail Pro for probably about 5 years and have been very happy with it. very comfortable and lite.
Posted By: Washburn Re: Inflatable sleeping pads - 04/01/14
Originally Posted by Brad

+1. My Neoair is comfortable and has treated me well so far.
Posted By: wildone Re: Inflatable sleeping pads - 04/01/14
I do my best to be proactive about the sticks and stones , so far so good.
© 24hourcampfire