Home
Posted By: mod7rem Wiggys waders??? - 07/19/17
I've always used water shoes or sandles for crossing creeks but it is very time consuming. I'm looking for opinions from people that have used these waders. Are they a better option than shoes or sandles? Thanks.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Wiggys waders??? - 07/19/17
They are fast if you put them over your boots. We used one pair for 2 guys on a hunt in the brooks that had a lot of stream crossings. Put a rock in them and throw them back across for the other guy to use. That got a bit sporty at times, but it did work.

They had holes by the end of the trip, but nothing serious. Probably 16 crossings for the round trip, X 2 people.

They don't go up really high, and (at that time anyway) don't have a way to tie them up. If you can make the water shoes work, that is a good option, but it all depends on frequency of crossing, water temps, depth, etc. When you are looking at the glacier whose melt is creating the river, staying dry can bump up a couple notches in priority.
Posted By: trapperJ Re: Wiggys waders??? - 07/19/17
I took a pair on a hunt in the Wrangells several years ago and they had holes in them after two river crossings.

I have a pair of the NEOs over the boot hippers from Barney's and they work well but are a bit heavy. You wouldn't want to walk far in them but they will stand up to some abuse.

I tried Koflach and glacier socks years ago but the boots killed my feet so dealt with leather boots and water crossings for a long time and the NEOs were the best I found. I'd burn the money before I bought another pair of wiggy waders..

Now I again use Koflach with glacier socks. The newer Koflach degrees are a little "softer"than the ones I had years ago and don't kill my feet on approaches.
Posted By: alaska_lanche Re: Wiggys waders??? - 07/20/17
I've used them on several sheep hunts. Shared between people usually. Like CWH2 the rock in the bottom works pretty well. As does the javelin/trekking pole...I am more accurate with that. smile
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Wiggys waders??? - 07/20/17
I'm going to use a pair of Crocs the next time I do a mountain hunt that requires lots of stream crossings, they are lightweight and offer decent support while crossing.
Posted By: MIKEWERNER Re: Wiggys waders??? - 07/20/17
We use these for around $15. Yes, they do get small holes with many crossings. I just silicone glue the small holes when we get home, inside and out.

Hodgman Gamewade Packable Hip Wader

I have Wiggy's too, they are a step up in quality and price.
Posted By: mod7rem Re: Wiggys waders??? - 07/20/17
Thanks for the replies. The main reason I ask is because I find using separate shoes so time consuming. If we have multiple crossings that are closely spaced enough then we leave the shoes on in between the crossings, but that gets a little risky for foot support carrying heavy packs and risks of blisters with wet shoes. The crossings are always icy and painful but the worst part for me is the time that gets eaten up taking off pack, taking off boots & socks, removing pants or pant legs, secure everything so you don't lose them during the crossing, then remove cold wet shoes, try to dry feet (hopefully it's not raining or too cold and hopefully not borderline hypothermic from the crossing), then reverse the whole process. I know you've all been through the same routine so I'm not telling you anything new. Just wondering if the waders thing is the solution or better in theory than it is in reality.
It seems like lots have used the wiggys but not many continue to use them. Thanks again guys.
Posted By: kududude Re: Wiggys waders??? - 07/29/17
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
We use these for around $15. Yes, they do get small holes with many crossings. I just silicone glue the small holes when we get home, inside and out.

Is this prick still around here?

SUCKS.

kd
Posted By: MIKEWERNER Re: Wiggys waders??? - 07/31/17
Unlike some, don't hide my name or my location. I'll listen harder for that knock on the door.

Originally Posted by kududude
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER

Is this prick still around here?

SUCKS.

kd

© 24hourcampfire