Home
Posted By: Bill_N Packable Raingear - 01/16/18
I’m looking for a good set of packable raingear for a wilderness hunt this fall. I have a set I bought from Cabela’s that is OK if it’s sprinkling but forget it in a steady rain. Any recommendations?
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Packable Raingear - 01/16/18
I really like my HH Extreme WW rain jacket for a real downpour. Doesn’t breathe well, but keeps rain out, and is quite durable.
Posted By: rgrx1276 Re: Packable Raingear - 01/16/18
I've had good luck with Arc'teryx, but boy howdy it is expensive...
Posted By: kingston Re: Packable Raingear - 01/16/18
Link?

They’ve got tons of different models and I can’t find one identified as “Extreme”.

Thanks.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Packable Raingear - 01/16/18
If it's gonna be wet, just get PVC coated nylon. Gore tex and the like will fail if it's wet enough. Lots of manufacturers.

Helly Imperitech
Gage
Rothsco

Not the lightest, will not breath, but will not let water in either.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Packable Raingear - 01/17/18
Originally Posted by kingston
Link?

They’ve got tons of different models and I can’t find one identified as “Extreme”.

Thanks.

Impertech. Similar to this one, except that mine is the first gen, and this is version II:

https://www.amazon.com/Helly-Hansen-Workwear-Impertech-Fishing/dp/B00JEXWH14
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: Packable Raingear - 01/17/18
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Link?

Thanks.

Impertech. Similar to this one, except that mine is the first gen, and this is version II:

I’ll second that. Not sure about the second generation, but other than the lack of breathability (which is natural with this kind of rain ware), the only issue to consider is that it is not as tough as the heavier models.

PS, I was in Calgary last week Jordan and it was cold as HELL! <grin>
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Link?

Thanks.

I’ll second that. Not sure about the second generation, but other than the lack of breathability (which is natural with this kind of rain ware), the only issue to consider is that it is not as tough as the heavier models.

Sounds like you came through during one of the nice weeks. A couple of weeks ago it was much colder than hell. grin

WRT the toughness of the Impertech, I wore mine for a residential siding job a couple of years ago, and as I was walking through a tight walkway, I snagged a sharp piece of metal flashing with my jacket, hard enough that it jerked my whole body backwards. I thought for sure I had torn my Impertech, but despite close examination, I couldn't find a single tear or hole. The bloody stuff is stretchy and durable, way more so than typical backpacking shells, at least.
Posted By: kingston Re: Packable Raingear - 01/17/18
Thanks for the link Jordan.
Posted By: ajmorell Re: Packable Raingear - 01/17/18
I have the FL Vapor Stormlight jacket and Boundary Stormtight pants. In 5 days of rain/sleet/snow elk hunting this year they kept me dry. The jacket packs down to almost nothing, but if you're in heavy brush I'd question it's durability. The pants down don't pack down quite as small but they are light, durable and easy to get on/off with the full-length leg zippers.
Posted By: Bill_N Re: Packable Raingear - 01/17/18
I wasn't thinking of PVC/Nylon but if it works, it works. I appreciate the input. Keep it coming. I'd like a lightweight suit but if it's not feasible or 4X cost then maybe the PVC/Nylon is the way to go.
Posted By: rgrx1276 Re: Packable Raingear - 01/17/18
Any consideration for the US MIL issued raingear? Kinda heavy and sturdy as hell, it can be found new.
Originally Posted by Bill_N
I wasn't thinking of PVC/Nylon but if it works, it works. I appreciate the input. Keep it coming. I'd like a lightweight suit but if it's not feasible or 4X cost then maybe the PVC/Nylon is the way to go.

FWIW, I much prefer the lightweight, stretchy, packable PU coated polyester over the heavy, rigid PVC found in most regular yellow rain coats.

In light moisture, I like a softshell like the Kuiu Guide jacket, but if it bad enough for me to need a waterproof shell, I want it to be really waterproof, not just DWR coated, water-resistant material.
Posted By: Bill_N Re: Packable Raingear - 01/18/18
Agreed. I'm going to be wearing Gore-Tex outerwear.

Kind of forgot I have a set of Columbia PVC/Nylon rain gear in my closet that I bought on a fishing trip probably 15 years ago. It seems kind of cheap and heavy but not as heavy as the old school yellow Helly Hansen rain gear. I'd like something better than the Columbia set. What retailers carry the Helly and Grundens Gage gear? It would be nice to look at it rather than order it online to see if I like it.
Posted By: Jordan Smith Re: Packable Raingear - 01/18/18
Around here Mark’s Work Warehouse carries the HH Workwear stuff.
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Packable Raingear - 01/18/18
I like HH to truly keep yourself dry in true wet environments.
Posted By: Tarkio Re: Packable Raingear - 01/18/18
Originally Posted by ajmorell
I have the FL Vapor Stormlight jacket and Boundary Stormtight pants. In 5 days of rain/sleet/snow elk hunting this year they kept me dry. The jacket packs down to almost nothing, but if you're in heavy brush I'd question it's durability. The pants down don't pack down quite as small but they are light, durable and easy to get on/off with the full-length leg zippers.

Good to know. I will have to look into this.

I love lightweight gear, but I have never found a lightweight jacket that keeps you dry regardless of how many days it rains.
Posted By: Bill_N Re: Packable Raingear - 01/22/18
I spoke to a customer service guy at HH today. Had a hard time understanding him but it turns out the Impertech line has been discontinued. Still available on amazon and a couple other online retailers. The stores around me only carry the HH clothing.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Packable Raingear - 01/22/18
How about a combination rain gear and improvised blind? grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Akbob5 Re: Packable Raingear - 01/23/18
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Link?

Thanks.

Sounds like you came through during one of the nice weeks. A couple of weeks ago it was much colder than hell. grin

WRT the toughness of the Impertech, I wore mine for a residential siding job a couple of years ago, and as I was walking through a tight walkway, I snagged a sharp piece of metal flashing with my jacket, hard enough that it jerked my whole body backwards. I thought for sure I had torn my Impertech, but despite close examination, I couldn't find a single tear or hole. The bloody stuff is stretchy and durable, way more so than typical backpacking shells, at least.

Jordan,

You’re ever so correct about the Impertech toughness and I should have been more articulate. I was really comparing the Impertech to some of the much heavier PVC rainwear, you know, like the Peter Storm stuff or even the heavier HH stuff.
Posted By: Bill_N Re: Packable Raingear - 01/27/18
A set of HH Impertech arrived today from Amazon. Really nice quality for the price. I got a Large jacket and Medium pants and I'm 6'1 and 180 lbs. The jacket is nice and roomy, more like an XL. The pants are too small so I'll have to exchange them but my wife has a Prime membership so shipping is free.
Posted By: Driftboater Re: Packable Raingear - 02/13/18
I've been using the Sitka Cloudburst pants and jacket without issue the past two seasons on elk and deer hunts. Really lightweight, packable and breathable.
Posted By: GF1 Re: Packable Raingear - 02/16/18
I’ve got Sitka Dew Point jacket and pants and couldn’t be happier with them. Light, packs small, keeps water out, breathes.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Packable Raingear - 02/16/18
It's dry here, especially in the late summer and fall. It's not uncommon to go 2 or 3 hunting seasons between needing rain gear. I can't justify $200 rain gear for use once every 3 years. I have a Red Ledge set that I use more as a windbreak than a rain jacket.
Posted By: smokepole Re: Packable Raingear - 02/17/18
Rain gear is like a handgun. You hardly ever need it but when you do need it, you really need it.
Posted By: abbydog Re: Packable Raingear - 02/19/18
How about Kuiu or Swazi Tahr anorak from New Zealand?

I also been looking at Fjallraven from Sweden.
Swazi and Fjallraven are very expensive.

I
© 24hourcampfire