Home
I am actually undecided over which is best to buy.

Up for consideration is:
1) Startus Support system rifle belt clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMD5mUn3tic
2)Kifaku Gun bearer with pack If this is suggested then which pack is recommended for hike in then over night stay and hunt followed by late afternoon hike out.

Helpful suggestions are always welcome, haters go someplace else and hate yourself.
ABLE
I like the kifaru system but not everybody does. If you call them and describe what you're looking for in a pack, they will get you squared away, its what they do.

See if you can try out the gunbearer before you commit. If you're near CO they have a shindig up in the mtns every year where they bring up their gear and let people try it out, like loading up a few different packs and walking around.
I've hunted a lot with the Gunbearer and have no plans to change... it's a versatile, adjustable contraption and it's been great for everything from hunting late season Mule deer to Dall sheep in the rocks... pretty hard to whoop.

I can post some photos or more info if that helps.

Tanner

I use the www.gunslingercorral.com which looks similar to the Stratus(which I've never seen before).
I have been using the Stone Glacier Weapon Sling on my Kuiu packs. It might not be as fast as the gun bearer, but the gun is not constantly in your field of view. I would definitely recommend it.

https://www.stoneglacier.com/products/quick-release-sling
Originally Posted by Tanner
I've hunted a lot with the Gunbearer and have no plans to change... it's a versatile, adjustable contraption and it's been great for everything from hunting late season Mule deer to Dall sheep in the rocks... pretty hard to whoop.

I can post some photos or more info if that helps.

Tanner

True, and the adjustments are key, some guys can't seem to adjust the straps (shoulder and sternum especially) so that the rifle stays back and out of the way.

The best thing about the GB is, it puts the weight on your hip belt, where it belongs.
Has anyone used a Gun Commander by Crooked Horn? It looks somewhat like the Stratus

(pardon the interruption)

Gun bearer didn't work for me so I sold it but I'm sure I didn't have it adjusted correctly.
I'm in the smokepole and Tanner camp, a big fan of the Kifaru system.
I used the GB for a few years and it worked well. Now I use fhe SO Gun hook, and prefer it.
Sounds like the research will continue on
ABLE
I've used the Kifaru Gun bearer and Stone Glacier Weapon Sling extensively. I like them both, not sure I have a favorite. The SG keeps the barrel out of your face while being almost as quick as the Kifaru, and I like the clasp system better. The Kifaru is a little quicker and with AICS mags they don't dig into the back of my arm. I keep spare barrel loops for the Kifaru though, they are semi-disposable (not really a problem, just a reality). I've been using the SG most recently but I'm going back to the Gun Bearer for a while I think.
Its $34 for a Kifaru gunbearer. If it doesn't work out, bet you can get $20 used for it. Might be easier to test one yourself for that kind of money.
I will be using the Kifaru this fall
Kifaru
I just strap my rifle to the pack. I have a Kifaru and there are plenty of straps already on the pack. Don't need to bring more. Tape the muzzle if you feel compelled. I don't want extra material and clips and things I have to carry around. At 10,000' every ounce counts.

I just throw my rifle onto my shoulder, hook the sling up over the shoulder strap of my pack and use the sternum strap to keep it from falling off.

Works fine for me.

KC
Another vote for the Kifaru system, it never seems to be in my way.
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
I just strap my rifle to the pack. I have a Kifaru and there are plenty of straps already on the pack. Don't need to bring more. Tape the muzzle if you feel compelled. I don't want extra material and clips and things I have to carry around. At 10,000' every ounce counts.

Works really good until you need your rifle quickly.... thinking the Gunbearer in total weighs less than 6oz total, I am usually ok carrying that much extra weight unless I accidentally packed an extra candy bar.

Tanner
Dude, you bring candy bars?
As a counterpoint, I can't like the gunbearer.

I run the Stone Glacier system on my stone glacier, and the barney's system on my barneys pack. Neither allows for the quick deployment of the rifle that the Kifaru system does. Neither has dropped my rifle muzzle down into the rocks as the Kifaru system has.

I have a sling on my rifles, and I'll carry them with the sling (or with my hands) when I think I'm going to need them. Otherwise, it takes me 3 seconds to get the rifle off the pack and that's just a price I pay.
I have a universal Gunbearer on a Tenzing pack and it works great, love it. Hope to upgrade and have a Seek Outside Peregrine to put it on this fall....
I have a Kifaru gun bearer that you're welcome to try out if you like. At just $31 from Kifaru it may not be worth your time to take mine and pay to ship it back. Offer stands though.

It's the older style but should work and function the same as a new one.

They're definitely not for me, but I plan on giving them one more shot this fall. Haven't found anything I can like better than either in my hands or strapped to my pack.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested.
Originally Posted by cwh2
As a counterpoint, I can't like the gunbearer.

I run the Stone Glacier system on my stone glacier, and the barney's system on my barneys pack. Neither allows for the quick deployment of the rifle that the Kifaru system does. Neither has dropped my rifle muzzle down into the rocks as the Kifaru system has.

I have a sling on my rifles, and I'll carry them with the sling (or with my hands) when I think I'm going to need them. Otherwise, it takes me 3 seconds to get the rifle off the pack and that's just a price I pay.

The sling guys need to look into the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
I use Slingsavers on both pack straps so I can switch if needed. They work well and cost $9 each. I borrowed a friend's Gun Bearer and duplicated it to see if I liked it. I used it for one season but didn't like it as well as the Slingsavers. Personal preference.

[Linked Image]
Made in the USA from 6061 Aluminum and held in place with a single stainless steel screw
The Frankenstud Sling Keeper tips the scale at just under one ounce.

Gray bead blasted aluminum units are $40 each shipped

Tan or Olive powdercoated units are $45 each shipped

www.paypal.me/frankenstud

Lifetime replacement guarantee. If you ever break your Frankenstud Sling Keeper I will replace it free of charge no questions asked

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[/quote]
Originally Posted by tedthorn

Lifetime replacement guarantee. If you ever break your Frankenstud Sling Keeper I will replace it free of charge no questions asked

Ted, be careful, you saw what happened to LL Bean.......
I've used the Kifaru, the Slingsaver, and the Frankenstud. I now prefer the Frankenstud. Kifaru is second, but I like to have a shooting sling on my rifle and it hangs down, gets caught, is cumbersome with the Kifaru. Frankenstud solves this problem and there is less fiddle time putting the rifle on. Sling saver was OK but the velcro attachment system is ill conceived. Velcro edges rub against t shirt, skin, etc. I ended up putting duct tape over mine till the Frankenstud came along. I can't imagine how I could ever break a Frankenstud and need the warranty...but I am well known for breaking things so we will see.
I’m a big fan of the Gunbearer, I’ve been using one now for over ten years. I use it on my big pack and on my day pack, I actually don’t even keep slings on my hunting rifle anymore. I did make a simple modification to it that makes it better for me. I sewed an adjustable strap onto the back of the harness that holds the butstock. The strap has a D-ring on the other end and an adjustment buckle in the middle. I take the pack shoulder strap out of it’s adjustable buckle and thread the shoulder strap through the D-ring. Slide the D-ring down the strap to where it attaches to the waist belt and put the pack shoulder strap back together. With the rifle in the gunbearer, I can reach down behind it and adjust the tension on the strap to control the rifle position better. Makes a big difference and is a simple modification.

https://imgur.com/a/9zVSD
Gunbearer is great if quick access is only needed during daytime and the hunting locale is the sterile rocky mountain west. During the pre-dawn hike up the hill west of Yellowstone, glare from your headlamp off the barrel is quite bothersome, but there lurks a griz behind every tree. If I'm bashing alder, I want it hard-strapped to my pack with the butt in the water bottle pocket, which not all "hunting" packs have (Dana FTW). And, if you have any sort of lats, you'll have bruised armpits from use.
Jerry, I've used mine in soaking conditions bashing alders for the last 3 years and can't really say I've had any of those problems. I hate having my barrel above my head while going through alders or brush.

I do agree that the headlamp shining off of a stainless barrel can be a pain in the butt!

Tanner
When using the Gunbearer is it tough to glass short range/free hand with bino's?
no, because you can pull the barrel up and use it as a rest....
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
When using the Gunbearer is it tough to glass short range/free hand with bino's?

Not at all, for me. Both hands are free and clear to glass.

Tanner
I'm not a gear junky, so don't have any recommendations for you other than TedThorn's sling keeper deal, but there are other options out there.

The Kifaru gun bearer has a loyal following, but here are two others:

Mystery Ranch Quick Draw rifle sling
[Linked Image]

Vorn equipment, but this may require the use of their entire pack...not sure.
Don’t feel too obligated to get something to carry your rifle. I use these things on the end of arms until the Pack out - and then either keep using those same deals or else strap the rifle to my Pack. In terrain such that it requires more than 3 points of contact, I have as yet been unable to rapidly or effectively employ a rifle no matter the insistent nature of the situation so again- i just strap it to the Pack. On a trip the rifle is in my hands for approximately 75 percent of The time I’m awake. Only Being replaced by food or binos tree limbs or other handholds typically. I always feel like I’m going to get yelled at if I sling a rifle- Also it’s an image thing for me- I hate the look of a rifle carried in a carrier or slung over a shoulder, whatever. It looks lazy, haphazard, and most of all NOT READY. If I find myself slinging my rifle while I walk I remove the sling. It only takes a few minutes for me if walking around with a slung rifle before that’s what I’m doing. Wandering around in nature, purposeless. Hapless overwhelmed and amazed at my surroundings. Havin that rifle in your hand keeps your edge makes you aware your a hunter trying to be a killer keeps your eyes and your ears sharp. Especially if you’re solo a couple days in starting to feel small in the world, all that. That rifle keeps you in dischord with nature, keeps you from falling too deep enthrall. When I’m hunting it’s not about communing with nature- it’s about extracting from it forcibly what I need. The rifle in your hand helps you fake the funk on day 5 without having seen hide not hair. It’s strong medicine
The Vorn set up with the rifle between the pack and your back looks like a no-go right off the bat to me.
I think there's a lot of padding between the frame and the rest of the pack, so your scope shouldn't get knocked around much, if that's what you're getting at. It looks like the hooks that release allowing the rifle to be free would get tangled with a sling every time. Not for me either, but the system may be an option for others.

I have zero clue if this system can be applied to other packs, or if the Vorn packs themselves are of any quality.
I bought the Kifaru, but didn't like how the holster hung up around the butt when trying to pull it out at different angles. I replaced the Kifaru sling holster with a $5 home depot nail bag pouch, which I slide over my pack's hip belt.

Works much smoother in a quick-draw.

down-side;
- nail pouch is several ounces heavier (but offer padding when taking a tumble)
- nail pouch slid over backpack belt limits access to belt pocket.

I also ultimately replaced the Kifaru top strap, (which just loops around the barrel and forearm), with a 1" webbing quick-release buckle, one half of the buckle is anchored to the front sling eye with an Uncle-mikes sling loop, other half to pack's shoulder strap gear loop. Easier to work with gloved hands.
Tinman, what I meat was, with a loaded pack a rifle in that position would have to be uncomfortable at best.
Ah, I see. I think the frame of the pack would keep any bulkiness or sharp edges from jabbing into the wearer's back, whether that be part of the load or the rifle. The Kifaru and Mystery Ranch as well as others are designed to put meat directly between the pack and the frame too, so bones and whatever else could jab a guy in the back, but folks seem to like those packs. The frame between the wearer's back and the load seems to be the constant factor.

Doesn't matter to me though as a quick glance at reviews of the Vorn pack are generally poor. It was more the fact that more rifle bearer options are available that made me post it.
A small hook on the outside of your Barney frame that holds your sling. Put your arm thru the sling. Fastest bestest system I’ve ever found. Quicker off the shoulder than anything I’ve seen. Rifle is outa the way and my rifle has never fallen off. I can tie my boots and it doesn’t come off.
There are a lot fo different ways to do rifle carry and a lot depends on what you want to do with it. For me, I only really want carry when I am packing out, or am hiking in in the dark, or am going up a really steep crappy slope. For most of those, I can have the pack do it pretty well like on our Brooks backpack. For me, having the rifle available is not a big issue, and if I want it off my shoulder I usually loop it over the frame and it works well enough.
Originally Posted by T_Inman
The Kifaru and Mystery Ranch as well as others are designed to put meat directly between the pack and the frame too, so bones and whatever else could jab a guy in the back, but folks seem to like those packs.

Not sure what you mean by this? With all my K packs the frame (and padding) are between my back and anything riding in the pack.
I'm not quite thinking as clearly as I probably should be. I keep forgetting how much padding is on the frames of the better packs protecting the user's back, but this is what I am referring to.
[Linked Image]

I really need to get into a Mystery Ranch or Kifaru pack one of these days and get away from my Elberleestock X2 or my old, external frame pack.
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm

Excellent post.

Have used shotgun scabbards for lever actions and shotguns. Can be strapped to the side or back of the pack. Attach a thin climbing nylon sling to the grip of the stock and the firearm can be lifted out of the scabbard into your hands in ONE smooth motion.
If you can pack a rifle...you can pack a revolver for quickest deployment into battery should Mr. Bear or Mr. Zombie accost you.
Kifaru works very well and keeps weight off your shoulders. Leaves hands free for trekking poles,
Handholds,etc. Get a spare top strap.

I don't like the gunbearer as well when I am walking behind someone else.
Muzzle control can be challenging with the barrel slant.

If I won't need quick access to the rifle, strapped go the pack works good.
You CAN still get "quick" access to the rifle with a sling...try it.
It's all personal and situational preference. Slings make great sbooting aids and I use them often.
Outside of uniform regulations, I doubt there is a single proper way to carry a firearm.
Originally Posted by lostleader
It's all personal and situational preference. Slings make great sbooting aids and I use them often.
Outside of uniform regulations, I doubt there is a single proper way to carry a firearm.

My bad, lostleader. As a climber we use the term "sling" as a length of webbing or perlon. I use sling in the sense of a length carefully tied around a pistol grip on my 12 ga to lift up out of a scabbard attached to the side of my pack in Grizzly country in the North Cascades. Fastest way I've found to deploy it when needed.

Try it.

I NEVER use rifle slings.
+1 on the Kifaru. I found the position of the base on my hip belt and how tight/or loose I cinched the barrel strap I could keep the barrel out of my face.
Originally Posted by lostleader
Kifaru works very well and keeps weight off your shoulders. Leaves hands free for trekking poles,
Handholds,etc. Get a spare top strap.

I don't like the gunbearer as well when I am walking behind someone else.
Muzzle control can be challenging with the barrel slant.

If I won't need quick access to the rifle, strapped go the pack works good.

This mirrors my experience. Overall the Kifaru has been the most useful option.

mike r
© 24hourcampfire