Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
ABLE Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I am actually undecided over which is best to buy.

Up for consideration is:
1) Startus Support system rifle belt clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMD5mUn3tic
2)Kifaku Gun bearer with pack If this is suggested then which pack is recommended for hike in then over night stay and hunt followed by late afternoon hike out.

Helpful suggestions are always welcome, haters go someplace else and hate yourself.
ABLE

I see four more years of economic stagnation and high unemployment if Obama is reelected. He lies every time he opens his mouth. "The GREAT DECEIVER"! Scary prospect.Worst president EVER.
UPS HAS ROTTEN CUSTOMER SERVICE, THIS I HAVE EXPERIENCED

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I like the kifaru system but not everybody does. If you call them and describe what you're looking for in a pack, they will get you squared away, its what they do.

See if you can try out the gunbearer before you commit. If you're near CO they have a shindig up in the mtns every year where they bring up their gear and let people try it out, like loading up a few different packs and walking around.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've hunted a lot with the Gunbearer and have no plans to change... it's a versatile, adjustable contraption and it's been great for everything from hunting late season Mule deer to Dall sheep in the rocks... pretty hard to whoop.

I can post some photos or more info if that helps.

Tanner

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I use the www.gunslingercorral.com which looks similar to the Stratus(which I've never seen before).

Last edited by Whiptail; 02/05/18.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been using the Stone Glacier Weapon Sling on my Kuiu packs. It might not be as fast as the gun bearer, but the gun is not constantly in your field of view. I would definitely recommend it.

https://www.stoneglacier.com/products/quick-release-sling

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Tanner
I've hunted a lot with the Gunbearer and have no plans to change... it's a versatile, adjustable contraption and it's been great for everything from hunting late season Mule deer to Dall sheep in the rocks... pretty hard to whoop.

I can post some photos or more info if that helps.

Tanner

True, and the adjustments are key, some guys can't seem to adjust the straps (shoulder and sternum especially) so that the rifle stays back and out of the way.

The best thing about the GB is, it puts the weight on your hip belt, where it belongs.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Has anyone used a Gun Commander by Crooked Horn? It looks somewhat like the Stratus

(pardon the interruption)

Gun bearer didn't work for me so I sold it but I'm sure I didn't have it adjusted correctly.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm in the smokepole and Tanner camp, a big fan of the Kifaru system.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I used the GB for a few years and it worked well. Now I use fhe SO Gun hook, and prefer it.

A
ABLE Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Sounds like the research will continue on
ABLE

I see four more years of economic stagnation and high unemployment if Obama is reelected. He lies every time he opens his mouth. "The GREAT DECEIVER"! Scary prospect.Worst president EVER.
UPS HAS ROTTEN CUSTOMER SERVICE, THIS I HAVE EXPERIENCED

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've used the Kifaru Gun bearer and Stone Glacier Weapon Sling extensively. I like them both, not sure I have a favorite. The SG keeps the barrel out of your face while being almost as quick as the Kifaru, and I like the clasp system better. The Kifaru is a little quicker and with AICS mags they don't dig into the back of my arm. I keep spare barrel loops for the Kifaru though, they are semi-disposable (not really a problem, just a reality). I've been using the SG most recently but I'm going back to the Gun Bearer for a while I think.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Its $34 for a Kifaru gunbearer. If it doesn't work out, bet you can get $20 used for it. Might be easier to test one yourself for that kind of money.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will be using the Kifaru this fall

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kifaru

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I just strap my rifle to the pack. I have a Kifaru and there are plenty of straps already on the pack. Don't need to bring more. Tape the muzzle if you feel compelled. I don't want extra material and clips and things I have to carry around. At 10,000' every ounce counts.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I just throw my rifle onto my shoulder, hook the sling up over the shoulder strap of my pack and use the sternum strap to keep it from falling off.

Works fine for me.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Another vote for the Kifaru system, it never seems to be in my way.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
I just strap my rifle to the pack. I have a Kifaru and there are plenty of straps already on the pack. Don't need to bring more. Tape the muzzle if you feel compelled. I don't want extra material and clips and things I have to carry around. At 10,000' every ounce counts.

Works really good until you need your rifle quickly.... thinking the Gunbearer in total weighs less than 6oz total, I am usually ok carrying that much extra weight unless I accidentally packed an extra candy bar.

Tanner

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Dude, you bring candy bars?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
As a counterpoint, I can't like the gunbearer.

I run the Stone Glacier system on my stone glacier, and the barney's system on my barneys pack. Neither allows for the quick deployment of the rifle that the Kifaru system does. Neither has dropped my rifle muzzle down into the rocks as the Kifaru system has.

I have a sling on my rifles, and I'll carry them with the sling (or with my hands) when I think I'm going to need them. Otherwise, it takes me 3 seconds to get the rifle off the pack and that's just a price I pay.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

646 members (160user, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,659 guests, and 1,398 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,097
Posts18,483,038
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.