Home
Posted By: bwinters Backcountry phone chargers - 08/15/18
What are you guys using for backcountry phone chargers?

Camofire has the Goal Zero Flip 20 and 30 listed today. I was all set to buy until I looked at the Goal Zero website - not Samsung S8 compatible. Of course I have a Samsung S8.......

I also ran across the Anker power packs but they don't seem to be weatherproof. They seem to be well respected and have many 4-5 star reviews but wonder about the weatherproof feature or lack thereof.

Thanks.
You wouldn't want to packpack this but it you use pack animals, take a look at the XP-10 jump starter. It's made to jump start large engines (including diesels) but it will also recharge phones, GPS's, etc. I can recharge my phone a dozen times or more and still have enough left to start an engine at the end of the trip. It'll recharge lights, computers, and many other electronics, anything that uses 12v, 19v, or USB.
This is their big one but they also make smaller versions. This one is 9" long and weighs 18oz. Of course the smaller ones won't start as large of engines.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kellory Re: Backcountry phone chargers - 08/15/18
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/13060310#Post13060310

My solution. Solar charger can be attached to your pack, open and working. Backup battery inside pack, and attached if charging or phone. Output is USB and cord is OSB standard and the black adapter on the end came with your phone. (I have the same phone) adapter is for USB-C
Posted By: Brad Re: Backcountry phone chargers - 08/15/18
What I use... 3.2 oz’s and waterproof:

https://www.rei.com/product/111377/outdoor-tech-kodiak-mini-20-power-bank
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Backcountry phone chargers - 08/15/18
I got one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075XFF9JG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My hiking buddy was given one for Christmas 2016 and carried it on our annual hike in July 2017. We camped by a long skinny lake in a fault along a ridge line. He didn't have service with his carrier. I had service but my phone was operating on analog which uses a lot more power and my batteries went dead. We were able to recharge my phone with his charger thus were able to stay in contact with his wife back home who was keeping us abreast of a nearby forest fire, size, expansion, etc. Though we "ate smoke" overnight, we knew we still had a good margin between us and the actual fire. I would not have stayed based on only what we could see so that charger saved us a fairly risky night hike out.

Tom
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I got one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075XFF9JG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My hiking buddy was given one for Christmas 2016 and carried it on our annual hike in July 2017. We camped by a long skinny lake in a fault along a ridge line. He didn't have service with his carrier. I had service but my phone was operating on analog which uses a lot more power and my batteries went dead. We were able to recharge my phone with his charger thus were able to stay in contact with his wife back home who was keeping us abreast of a nearby forest fire, size, expansion, etc. Though we "ate smoke" overnight, we knew we still had a good margin between us and the actual fire. I would not have stayed based on only what we could see so that charger saved us a fairly risky night hike out.

Tom

Those work fine as a battery. But the solar panel output is so small it would take a week of full sun to fully charge it.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Backcountry phone chargers - 08/15/18
Yes, and they are kind of heavy to an ounce-counter. Under normal circumstances, I just charge everything fully at home / on the drive to the trailhead, then power down things I'm not using. Because we were more or less constantly in touch with home base regarding the nearby fire(s), the phone was on full time. This is the only time I've ever run one clear down.
Posted By: prm Re: Backcountry phone chargers - 08/15/18
I have a Dark Energy Poseidon. It even powers a Labradar at the range. Edit: probably overkill for hunting, but it does work well!
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Yes, and they are kind of heavy to an ounce-counter. Under normal circumstances, I just charge everything fully at home / on the drive to the trailhead, then power down things I'm not using. Because we were more or less constantly in touch with home base regarding the nearby fire(s), the phone was on full time. This is the only time I've ever run one clear down.

Understood, and a wise precaution. My flashlight, ham radio, phone, all charge off USB. With solar charger and backup battery, it covers my needs. Too bad my GPS required batteries.
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Backcountry phone chargers - 08/15/18
Anker. I took a 20k mWh Anker on my last backcountry trip. Kept my iPhone going for five days as needed with no issues whatsoever. I also took an Anker solar charger for the battery in case it needed recharging. It did not.
I left the entirety behind with the guides, they were thrilled with it. Less than $100 for all of it. I bought another Anker battery at Walmart to replace it and it kept my family going on their ten day church trip. Can't say enough good about it.
Posted By: Brad Re: Backcountry phone chargers - 08/16/18
Since this is a backpack-hunting forum (in theory), I’d like to know what everyone’s chargers weigh?
Posted By: prm Re: Backcountry phone chargers - 08/16/18
Originally Posted by Brad
Since this is a backpack-hunting forum (in theory), I’d like to know what everyone’s chargers weigh?

Umm, too much... Actually (edit 8.8oz). But it does power multiple devices for multiple people. The one you listed is likely more appropriate for a solo backpack trip.
Posted By: Starman Re: Backcountry phone chargers - 08/16/18
Originally Posted by bwinters

I also ran across the Anker power packs but they don't seem to be weatherproof. They seem to be well respected and have many 4-5 star reviews..

Anker gets its battery cells from high quality manufacturers like Sanyo, Panasonic, LG and Samsung.

Posted By: kellory Re: Backcountry phone chargers - 08/16/18

Very little, but I don't have a scale to measure it.
Originally Posted by prm

Umm, too much... Actually (edit 8.8oz). But it does power multiple devices for multiple people. The one you listed is likely more appropriate for a solo backpack trip.

8.8 oz, while heavy, isn’t too bad for a group. Definitely not weight I’d carry solo.
Originally Posted by kellory

I looked yours up... 18oz! No way I’d pack that.

But I don’t have too laugh
Posted By: KC Re: Backcountry phone chargers - 08/16/18
First, remember that you won't have an Internet connection in the backcountry. So the only electronic device you should be carrying is a smart phone or tablet with a GPS and USGS mapping program. I use a Samsung tablet for that purpose and I carry a small recharge battery in case I forget to turn it off at night. It weighs 3.3 ounces. I weighed it on my wife's kitchen scale.

Portable Charger

Remember that your GPS is not a substitute for a map and compass. It's just there to augment your map & compass.

I looked yours up... 18oz! No way I’d pack that.

But I don’t have too laugh

To each his own. I know, with enough money, I could carry aluminum climbing stands, or even titanium If I could find one, but i will not spend that kind of money to save a little weight. I carry a steel climber. I know weight adds up, but ultra light gear is not in the budget. Common sense, however, is. Streamline what you will need, try for multi-use items that actually work, and plan ahead, and you can go oldskool instead of counting ounces. For every battery I do not have to carry, that solar charger pays for itself. It's about making choices with an eye to long term.
Sometimes that means a game cart, or sled, or a bicycle with panniers.
I carry a steel climber. I know weight adds up, but ultra light gear is not in the budget. Common sense, however, is.

It all depends on where and how you hunt. If you hunt where I'm going in a few weeks, common sense would dictate that you leave the steel climber at home.

Or any kind of climber for that matter.

To each his own. I know, with enough money, I could carry aluminum climbing stands, or even titanium If I could find one, but i will not spend that kind of money to save a little weight. I carry a steel climber. I know weight adds up, but ultra light gear is not in the budget. Common sense, however, is. Streamline what you will need, try for multi-use items that actually work, and plan ahead, and you can go oldskool instead of counting ounces. For every battery I do not have to carry, that solar charger pays for itself. It's about making choices with an eye to long term.

My mistake. I assumed, given this is a backpacking forum, you were a backpacker.

Originally Posted by KC
the only electronic device you should be carrying is a smart phone or tablet with a GPS and USGS mapping program.

I don’t carry a tablet or gps, but I do carry a camera and rechargeable headlamp, so I guess I don’t fit in your criteria. smile

I do sometimes carry a smartphone for the rare places I can get reception. Other than that, I’m a map an compass guy.

My mistake. I assumed, given this is a backpacking forum, you were a backpacker.

I was. Started out in the Boy scouts, and went from there. I'm a hunter, and willing to get there by whatever means are necessary. Backpack, horseback, canoe, rail bike or dogsled, I'm willing. But my point is there are tradeoffs in what works vs minimum possible weight. I'd rather carry a bit more weight and know what I have covers all the bases, than go minimum weight and lose functionality.
If it will not do the job, it doesn't matter how many ounces you saved. For the same reason I will not carry one of those skeleton type blades , because it is a tool I rely on, and can not afford to break it if forced to stress it. All I'm saying is, weight alone is no reason to accept or reject, functionality rules. That's true of solar chargers, guns, knives or any other tool.
All I'm saying is, weight alone is no reason to accept or reject, functionality rules.

Bullsh**. If not for the weight I'd pack in my canvas wall tent and cylinder stove. Beats a 3-lb. tent any way you slice it.
Originally Posted by smokepole
All I'm saying is, weight alone is no reason to accept or reject, functionality rules.

Bullsh**. If not for the weight I'd pack in my canvas wall tent and cylinder stove. Beats a 3-lb. tent any way you slice it.

That is a choice for you to make. If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way to do it. Or you could wrap yourself in a trash bag, and stay dry but freeze to death. You decide what you need, then make choices.

That is a choice for you to make. If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way to do it.

LOL. obviously you don't know what a wall tent or cylinder stove weighs. Or, what you're talking about in general. But keep on opining it's entertaining if nothing else.
Posted By: kellory Re: Backcountry phone chargers - 08/17/18
As usual, smokepole, you'd rather argue than listen. I'm just not interested. If you don't mind the cost, and size, you can cook with found fuel, charge enough power to recharge tablets or even a laptop, but it's a $300.00 rocket stove with attachments. It works, it's multi function, but is it worth the trade offs?
https://newatlas.com/biolite-large-wood-grill/30871/

Not to me. I made my choice, and use it often enough to know it fits my needs. The added few ounces is manageable, and I'm happy with the results. I will not obsess over ounces. I'm done here, argue all you want.
As usual, smokepole, you'd rather argue than listen.

LOL, I listen here more than I post. But only if the person who's talking is worth listening to. Anyone who says "weight doesn't matter when you're backpacking" or "you can pack in a wall tent and cylinder stove on your back if you really want to" is not worth listening to.

Ditto for a steel climbing stand, anyone who says they "pack one in" is talking about a day hike, not a backpack hunt.

You can call that "arguing," I'd call it common sense.

That is a choice for you to make. If you want it bad enough, you'll find a way to do it.

LOL. obviously you don't know what a wall tent or cylinder stove weighs. Or, what you're talking about in general. But keep on opining it's entertaining if nothing else.

C'mon, Iv'e got a 3rd rifle season backpack hunt planned, you know you wanna pack your canvas tent and stove up there for me! You don't even have to listen to me while you do it, and you can argue it all you want! laugh
Sorry man but I'm already packing two cases of beer in the jumbo Yeti and a Weber propane grill, I'm almost maxed out.
Sorry man but I'm already packing two cases of beer in the jumbo Yeti and a Weber propane grill, I'm almost maxed out.

Maybe you’d have room if you swapped out the bottles for beer balls and the propane grill for a Smoky Joe and a few bags of Kingsford (no relation).

You can always break open the charcoal and pack it in among your other gear to save space. Try doing that with propane.

Somebody told me they knew a big time backpack hunter from Ohio who freezes briquettes and uses them in place of ice. I know it works, search YouTube.
Originally Posted by The_Yetti

C'mon, Iv'e got a 3rd rifle season backpack hunt planned, you know you wanna pack your canvas tent and stove up there for me! You don't even have to listen to me while you do it, and you can argue it all you want! laugh

Last comment. Mister, your tent would be no challenge at all. I've moved entire buildings. If there is need enough, it can be done. However, I said weight was not the first criteria, not that it didn't matter. Read what I wrote, not what smokepole made up.
Read what I wrote, not what smokepole made up.

Yes, read what he wrote, here it is verbatim:

Weight alone is a reason to reject some gear and functionality does not rule when you are backpacking. Anyone who says otherwise does not know whereof he speaks. I have all kinds of camping gear that is more functional than my backpacking gear, but doesn't go in the pack due to its weight.

Mister, your tent would be no challenge at all. I've moved entire buildings. If there is need enough, it can be done.

Once again, we are talking about backpacking here. Are you saying you can pack a house on your back? I have a tent and stove you couldn't pack on your back.

I'm a hunter, and willing to get there by whatever means are necessary. Backpack, horseback, canoe, rail bike or dogsled, I'm willing. .

That's great but once again we are talking about backpacking here. Understand?
Posted By: battue Re: Backcountry phone chargers - 08/17/18
Lewis and Clark made it all the way to California with these. I think we have all become weak....

Them boys knew how to move around in the back country....

"Generally the dugouts were about thirty feet long and up to three feet wide, with a capacity of between two and three tons, including four to six men, who probably knelt in order to keep the center of gravity low and prevent tipping. Empty, each canoe may have weighed as much as a ton."

Last comment. Mister, your tent would be no challenge at all. I've moved entire buildings. If there is need enough, it can be done. However, I said weight was not the first criteria, not that it didn't matter. Read what I wrote, not what smokepole made up.

I’m noticing a penchant for nonsense.
The next, after “mister” goes along the line, “I’ll drop you like a 2 foot putt”. “Mister” is always funny. laugh
Originally Posted by battue
Lewis and Clark made it all the way to California with these. I think we have all become weak....

Them boys knew how to move around in the back country....

"Generally the dugouts were about thirty feet long and up to three feet wide, with a capacity of between two and three tons, including four to six men, who probably knelt in order to keep the center of gravity low and prevent tipping. Empty, each canoe may have weighed as much as a ton."
No they didn't. They were nowhere near the place. At that time, the Californians hadn't started polluting Portland...where they DID go.
After looking, you are correct.
Originally Posted by kingston

I’m noticing a penchant for nonsense.

I wouldn't call it a penchant, it's more of a real talent, a flair as it were.
OP bwinter, this thread is off topic, but your call. Do you wish to return to your subject, or follow this rabbit down the hole? No one else's opinion matters on this question.
I'm done here, argue all you want.

Last comment. Mister, your tent would be no challenge at all.

OP bwinter, this thread is off topic, but your call. Do you wish to return to your subject, or follow this rabbit down the hole? No one else's opinion matters on this question.

Next time you announce that you're taking your ball and going home (twice), do us a favor and stay there.
I'm done here, argue all you want.

Last comment. Mister, your tent would be no challenge at all.

Next time you announce that you're taking your ball and going home (twice), do us a favor and stay there.

Just like now, you keep trying to draw me back in. Question is to the OP.
LOL, does my last post appear to be an attempt to "draw you in?"

You're drawing yourself back in.
Posted By: pete53 Re: Backcountry phone chargers - 08/17/18
I hunt mostly with a old wounded Marine Viet Nam Vet they don`t come any tougher or my son ,we don`t even bring a stove with in the mountains,we just pack in MRE`S with the heaters and a little water,we usally stay close to a high ground stream or spring above the beavers. we shut are phones off use phones sparingly,sometimes maybe a small camp fire for a little heat on our bodies. We are above the banana belt in west- central Montana- Idaho area Grizzly bear country,we mostly bowhunt and have done ok. were old school no phones,no radios just hunt and enjoy the simple things.
Interesting discourse. sleep

I'd like to keep my cell charged when I'm bivouacing in the back country. Its surprising how often I get all signal when up high. Verizon for the curious.
What are you guys using for backcountry phone chargers?

Camofire has the Goal Zero Flip 20 and 30 listed today. I was all set to buy until I looked at the Goal Zero website - not Samsung S8 compatible. Of course I have a Samsung S8.......

I also ran across the Anker power packs but they don't seem to be weatherproof. They seem to be well respected and have many 4-5 star reviews but wonder about the weatherproof feature or lack thereof.

Thanks.

Weatherproofing of the Anker batteries is a good question. I use the Anker 10,000mah battery for the past year with good results. It charges my Iphone 6 multiple times--in fact I've never drained the Anker battery. I also use it skiing when it's pretty cold out and the Iphone battery wants to drain fast. It does take a long time to recharge the Anker though..........

You made me curious. My Anker 10000mah battery weighs 8.6 ozs bare, minus the cords or little bag that comes with it.
Posted By: Brad Re: Backcountry phone chargers - 08/18/18

I'd like to keep my cell charged when I'm bivouacing in the back country. Its surprising how often I get all signal when up high. Verizon for the curious.

Keep it in airplane mode (obviously)... again, the 3.2 oz outdoor tech mini will keep your phone charged for as long as you’ll be out, unless you’re calling 1-900 numbers nightly.
Posted By: Brad Re: Backcountry phone chargers - 08/18/18
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

You made me curious. My Anker 10000mah battery weighs 8.6 ozs bare, minus the cords or little bag that comes with it.

Dat’s heavy in my world.

Dat’s heavy in my world.

Yes, at half a pound that becomes something to think about. They do make smaller batteries all the way down to the lipstick size that will charge a phone once.

Keep it in airplane mode (obviously)... again, the 3.2 oz outdoor tech mini will keep your phone charged for as long as you’ll be out, unless you’re calling 1-900 numbers nightly.

You mean you don't? I thought thats why everyone took their phone in the backcountry with them! laugh

Videos, man, videos. 😎

Actually I keep my wife informed that I haven't been eaten or injured. She hasn't quite warmed up the idea of solo backpack hunting but were getting closer......
This is what I’ve been using this year and it works great as double duty, light in shelter at night and charging my phone for my maps.

Mpowered Luci Light Pro

Strap it on my pack during the day.

[Linked Image]

AC - that looks interesting. I'll check it out. Thanks!
Posted By: 805 Re: Backcountry phone chargers - 08/20/18
The luci lights are awesome and surprisingly bright.
Posted By: prm Re: Backcountry phone chargers - 08/20/18
[quote=Brad][quote=bwinters]

Actually I keep my wife informed that I haven't been eaten or injured. She hasn't quite warmed up the idea of solo backpack hunting but were getting closer......

Garmin inReach. Great piece of gear to keep in touch in the evening. And there in an emergency..
© 24hourcampfire