Home
Posted By: TexasPhotog Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28? - 01/23/19
Anyone used one of these packs? How'd do you like it? Thanks.
Posted By: 175rltw Re: Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28? - 01/23/19
Great pack. I’ve packed an elk and 3 deer in mine this year. I’ve used it on a couple springtime overnight flyfishing trips and I’ve flown a 3 times with it- it’ll be 4 after The Weeknd. It’s great to hunt in and hauls like a champ. It’s defintely my primary at this point. I’m only using the pintler when I know for a fact I’m bivying for 3 days or so
Posted By: bwinters Re: Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28? - 01/23/19
Have been looking at the MR Popups since they introduced them. Like the concept but wondered if the implementation was a good as the idea.
A buddy has one and loves it. Has packed out a couple of elk and a blacktail with excellent results. He loves it, especially for day hunts.
Posted By: BluMtn Re: Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28? - 01/23/19
I used one this year and I like it but I do not like the way the shoulder straps cut in after 6 or 7 miles. I even stopped in Bozeman an had them fit the pack. it helped but still not to my liking.
Posted By: mtwarden Re: Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28? - 01/23/19
I have the 18, same pack- different bag; I think it’s a great pack- game changer really; the ability to have a small, compact day hunting pack that can be converted into a hauler is really nice

I will say that it’s not going to carry a heavy load as well as a dedicated hauler, but if you keep loads in the 70-ish pound range and lower- you’re golden
Pretty expensive for what it is. Just my opinion. I do own and like the one Mystery Ranch Pack I own.
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Pretty expensive for what it is. Just my opinion. I do own and like the one Mystery Ranch Pack I own.

Do you see a use for this pack? In what respect do you mean it’s expensive for what it is (I know you mean it costs too much )? Also what do you think it should cost.

Thanks
I can see a use for it sure. But not a use that I would pay that much for. I have to many packs that I can use that fit my needs. It's and 18 and 28 liter pack for christ sake. Big deal it has two aluminum poles and some quick release buckles. If it fits your needs and you care to pay the price have at it.
Guys buy Harley edition trucks, King Ranch Trucks ect........ Some people don't value their money.
Couple more questions for my own SA- what do you feel needs to be improved from a quality or performance standpoint in order for the pack to be viable at its current pricepoint? As the pack currently sits, what pricepoint do you think would be appropriate? And just quickly if you have time or inclination- do you think the concept can be executed in a fashion that would appeal to a more astute, or less financially cavalier user- or is it just an excuse to sell packs to the frivolous?

Originally Posted by 175rltw
Couple more questions for my own SA- what do you feel needs to be improved from a quality or performance standpoint in order for the pack to be viable at its current pricepoint? As the pack currently sits, what pricepoint do you think would be appropriate? And just quickly if you have time or inclination- do you think the concept can be executed in a fashion that would appeal to a more astute, or less financially cavalier user- or is it just an excuse to sell packs to the frivolous?

I don't see a quality issue with it or feel it needs improving. Though I have never used it. @ $280 and $300 for a 18 and 28 liter pack is just not realistic for me. I have to many other packs to use that will get the job done. If you want to spend that kind of money on a pack like that, by all means have at it.
Posted By: shankbone Re: Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28? - 01/25/19

I don't see a quality issue with it or feel it needs improving. Though I have never used it. @ $280 and $300 for a 18 and 28 liter pack is just not realistic for me. I have to many other packs to use that will get the job done. If you want to spend that kind of money on a pack like that, by all means have at it.

Thanks, MCH. You just saved me some money. I have the MR Metcalf and like it...enough, but I am definitely looking for a smaller pack to fit my usual hunting methods. I have been considering the Pop Up 28 or 18, but now I'm considering something a lot less expensive but with similar capacity and geared towards hunting. Do you have any suggestions?
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28? - 01/25/19
I'm interested to hear your alternative recommendations for an ~28 liter day sized pack that's compact but still usable as a hauler. I've looked at the Mule and Cabinet as well but I'd guess they are even lower on your list based on price. Recommendations for a quality compact day pack/hauler? Don't want to waste $ but I'd rather spend $ on quality that works for what I need than to save $ on something that doesn't work as well.
Buy what fits your needs. It's your money do what you want with it.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28? - 01/25/19
^^^^ Precisely what I did. smile I got rid of 6-7 other packs, all functionally replaced by the Pop Up 18. Reclaimed a TON of space, upgraded, and simplified all in one fell swoop.

Tom
I have a 28, it's about the best all around pack I've used.Even used it for a a multi day pack in in CO, but that was pushing it a little, and I pack a lot lighter than most.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28? - 01/26/19
Buy what fits your needs. It's your money do what you want with it.

Yeah...that's the plan. I'd prefer to not throw money away if there's a better option. Do you have a recommendation from your "to many other packs to use that will get the job done" list for a compact day pack that will serve as a hauler?
I used a Pop Up 28 last fall, and found it to be a great pack.

It’s out of the way when busting brush, spotting from prone, or drawing a bow, but large enough to carry plenty of crap for a day hunt. Capable of hauling decent loads with the frame extended. I also like that the pack is built with stout enough material that I don’t mind throwing it in the back of a pickup and letting it bounce around.
Posted By: prm Re: Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28? - 01/26/19
I used the related MR Mule. Put a 55l bag on the shelf and it’s a really nice all around pack. So in reality it becomes a 73L pack that turns into a day pack rather easily. It’s quite brilliant actually. Packed in for 4 days in mid-November. Packed out an entire deboned Muley including head. Since some are so concerned about price, it’s actually a very inexpensive pack for what it can do. In fact I don’t know of a better price to capability out there. My Kifaru Reckoning may not get used anymore.

https://www.amazon.com/Outdoor-Rese...mp;keywords=55l+dry+bag+outdoor+research
Posted By: 175rltw Re: Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28? - 01/27/19
Too bad I can’t figure out how to just post these pics to the thread.

More popup

For what it’s worth I drive a 2004 Tacoma because it works so well.

I also have mystery ranch guidelight and nice frames with a couple bags (crew cab, long bow, pintler, and old cmbr Cerberus). Neither is as good a daypack as the popup. The popup doesn’t replace the nice or guidelight for me.

I understand that not everyone evaluates, or uses gear the same way (or at all hahaha), or has similar needs, and as such I can understand that this pack might not make sense for some guys who for whatever reason or myriad reasons don’t need or want the capability or function this pack provides, or otherwise question its value, or merit. Additionally, My experience might simply be fluke, or some other way not applicable so take for what it’s worth.

If you are the kind of guy who as a rule either doesn’t need to pack out his game, or doesn’t usually fill his tags this pack might be of less value than some others.
Posted By: JRaw Re: Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28? - 01/28/19
Great pack. I’ve packed an elk and 3 deer in mine this year. I’ve used it on a couple springtime overnight flyfishing trips and I’ve flown a 3 times with it- it’ll be 4 after The Weeknd. It’s great to hunt in and hauls like a champ. It’s defintely my primary at this point. I’m only using the pintler when I know for a fact I’m bivying for 3 days or so

You've flown with it as a carryon? I've been looking for a daypack that's sturdy enough to pack out the first load of meat, but that can be flown as a carryon.
Thanks,
J
Posted By: 175rltw Re: Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28? - 01/28/19
I’ve flown 4 times now with thw 28 as a carryon. Most recently this past weekend. Great size for flying. I’ve had one TSA agent that I have seen give the pack another look- He was trying to see if the frame is part of the pack or not. I’ve had a dog here recently get interested in the pack- so it's time to soak it in oxyclean...

I can bring a change of clothes a woobie a a jacket and a hygiene kit with a little room to spare in the bag and an extra pair of shoes or flip flops between the bag and frame. The bag has only a water bladder sleeve inside, no poclet for a laptop etc so that may be an influence on how functional it is for travel/edc. I just use little zip up bags or stuff sacks for odds and ends.

The pack has served me well. It is a sound design and well executed.
Posted By: efw Re: Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28? - 01/30/19
175rltw that’s great info; very nice mulie too!
© 24hourcampfire