Home
Search function didnt yield what I needed.

Ive googled the offerings from Mystery ranch, Kifaru, KUIU, and Eblerstock for scabbards and slings.

I sure wish I lived where I could try these out first hand, but not many back pack hunting merchants here on the gulf coast.

How do you pack your rifle and what opinions do you have? Ill be using it on hunts at or near the treeline so lots of sitting and glassing.

Do you like across the chest, on one side, or completely on your back? Brands?

Thanks.
I bought a Kifaru gun bearer last year and I will never use anything else. I love it
thanks laker. for the price, they are definitely worth trying out.
Second the Kifaru gun bearer. I have been using it hooked to my the belt of my pack. My new pack will allow me move it from my belt to the back of my pack when I don't need quick access to my rifle.
I've used several different Eblerstock packs and really like the built in scabbard when I don't need quick access. For walking in before daylight, especially uphill, I really like Eblerstock.

Picked up a Kifaru gun bearer to try on a non-Eblerstock pack and see how it goes this year. Haven't had it out yet but when setting it up on the pack it seems like it will be pretty good, especially for quick access.....also won't be behind me so I won't land on it when going down steep spots and I end up sliding into second base.
I used to shove my buttstock into an open belt pouch on my shooting side of my pack, and use the compression straps to secure the rifle to the pack. Worked just fine but getting quick access wasn't easy.

Now I have a Kifaru gun bearer but only use the "saddle" or "buttstock holder" or whatever you call it. I have it on my pack belt, and still use the top compression strap to hold the barrel and rifle in place. If I need it quickly, I lift the buttstock out of the holder then lower the rifle quickly and slip the barrel out of the top compression strap and I am ready to shoot.

I barely even use slings anymore.
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Now I have a Kufaru gun bearer but only use the "saddle" or "buttstock holder" or whatever you call it. I have it on my pack belt, and still use the top compression strap to hold the barrel and rifle in place.

Sounds like a good way to go, I'll have to try that.
Another + for the Kifaru gun bearer.
Another Gun Bearer fan here... Not sure how I ever backpacked 5 plus miles in without one... Both hands free for treking poles or just grabbing something when heading up a steep slope, yet the rifle can get into play very fast and quietly.
Kifaru Universal Gun Bearer on my EXO 3500 pack. Both are fantastic pieces of gear.
I can't stand the gunbearer in "rifle in your face" mode. Could certainly make it work the way tinman describes.

I use the stone glacier version when backpacking. Just the buttstock holder, with barrel in a compression strap. I'm willing to sacrifice some speed for more positive retention.
Thanks a bunch fellas. For the price, and reviews here I'm giving the Kifaru a trial run. Thanks.
I love the Gunbearer, it takes a bit of adjustment and getting used to the barrel in the field of view, but works well. My rifles tend to hang “scope down” and I adjust so the bolt handle is at the top of the waist belt. I also made a fastex buckle strap for the top with fat shrink tubing to keep it stiff. One note, if you fall in the rocks like I tend to, the buttstock slams into the ground. Getting rid of the sling screws helps with snagging.
I haven't tried it yet but the Safari sling gets a lot of high reviews. It's supposed to work very well with back packs. It's worth a look anyway.
I either use a gun bearer up front under my arm pit or strap my rifle to the side of the pack. No problems with either. I like the GB up front when hunting in big bear land, makes it a lot quicker to get into battery.

Tanner
When's the next big bear hunt, sign me up!!
2020 for me...
I really don't like the Kifaru gun bearer, but I haven't found anything that works better so I will continue to use it.

The Franken stud works good also and just started to use it last year. Not as stable as the gun bearer, but I have to use it more.

Lefty
Originally Posted by Tanner
2020 for me...

Still working with Steve?
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Tanner
2020 for me...

Still working with Steve?

possibly!

Tanner
When it's not in my hand it's in a Kifaru gun bearer on my MR pack.
Surprised the Frankenstud Slingamarig hasn't been mentioned....it is a nice simple alternative and I've stopped using my Kifaru gunbearer since I got this.
Gunbearer hands down....
I strap a VISM NCStar tactical shotgun scabbard to the right side of pack...attach a half inch soft woven tubular climbing webbing starting with a ~30-36" length with a loose loop around the pistol grip. Other end looped to easily accept gloved hand and extends 5 to 6 inches past buttstock end. Total length 16". Easy to grasp loop end, lift straight up and 18" lever actions or police-type shotgun equivalents quickly and smoothly can be handled to firing position.

Protects wood stocks and blued finishes, allows hands to be free when scrambling or using poles, etc. Barrel pointing down and away from body or companions when overcoming obstacles.

Obvious shortcoming is drawing when in heavy brush low hanging branches overhead.
So I now use the Kifaru gun bearer upper on my packs and the Kuiu quick draw lower. The Kuiu lower attached to the belt on each side instead of just in the middle, this makes it do a MUCH better job at keeping the rifle from twisting than the Kifaru lower design. Still works just the same, I don't have to manipulate the buckle to get my stock in and out though if you have a bigger stock you may have to do so.

[Linked Image]
Gun bearer...
Another Gun Bearer user... I like it just as designed!
© 24hourcampfire