Home
Posted By: 79inpa backpacking tents - 10/03/19
I'm thinking of purchasing a backpack hunting tent or two. currently I'm not sure if I wa t a one or a two person tent. both myself and my hunting partners are about six and a half foot tall and about 215 pounds. I would like to have a vestibule in the tent.

what are my options for backpack hunting tents that I can use in colorado and wyoming from around september 5th till about mid November. you may give me options for single and 2 man tents.
Posted By: smokepole Re: backpacking tents - 10/03/19
We can get plenty of rain that time of year, so you'll probably want a tent you can put your gear in, while you're inside. Which means a two-man for one person IMO.

With a good-sized vestibule you can use to stash wet boots and rain gear, and run your stove in if needed.

I've been thinking about getting one of those so I'll be following this thread. A decent-sized vestibule is a must for me anyway.
Posted By: Brad Re: backpacking tents - 10/03/19
For a great backpack tent, the Big Agnes Copper Spur's are about as good as it gets. Stable, storm worthy, roomy, light.

However, for real cold I absolutely prefer a solid inner tent. I use the discontinued MSR Hubba HP (High Performance) with solid inner. The MSR "Access" line is the old Hubba HP line-up in 1P, 2P, and 3P versions with a beefed up pole structure. MSR has recently brought out a whole line of "all season" tents that are worth looking at. Before I switched to the Hubba HP I used a Black Diamond Firstlight single wall tent. Hilleberg is also a good maker with old-school solid inner tents. Obviously there are other "all season" tents out there from the likes of The North Face and Mountain Hardwear, but I'm a bit out of touch with what is available these days. You DO pay a weight penalty for a true 4-season tent. For weather into November a mesh inner is certainly doable, and I have used them into snow season.

For a couple people sharing the load, a tepee with wood stove is about impossible to beat..
Posted By: BeanMan Re: backpacking tents - 10/03/19
Two big guys will be mighty crowded in any 2 man backpacking tent. Go larger or go to separate tents.
Originally Posted by BeanMan
Two big guys will be mighty crowded in any 2 man backpacking tent. Go larger or go to separate tents.

That's the beauty of a 3P tent...
Posted By: Tanner Re: backpacking tents - 10/03/19
Warm weather for a solo hunt or if a hunting buddy doesn’t mind a small tent I use a Big Agnes Fly Creek 2. For more inclement weather, or any time I’m hunting Alaska, I go to the Hilleberg Nallo 3. Haven’t found much that one of those two tents won’t handle.
Posted By: smokepole Re: backpacking tents - 10/03/19
How's the vestibule space on those Tanner?
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: backpacking tents - 10/03/19
I am considering a Copper Spur HV 2 Expedition. It seems like it would fit your requirements.
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
I am considering a Copper Spur HV 2 Expedition. It seems like it would fit your requirements.

I had forgotten about that one... great way to go. It's a proven design, made better for cold weather with a solid interior.

My wife and I used the BA Copper Spur HV UL2 a lot this summer, including over labor day:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Pahntr760 Re: backpacking tents - 10/03/19
Originally Posted by Brad

I had forgotten about that one... great way to go. It's a proven design, made better for cold weather with a solid interior.

Do you think it would be too much for milder weather? It seems the weight is about right to deal with and get the weather protection over a pound lighter, but this backpacking stuff is very new to me.

Do you think it would be too much for milder weather? It seems the weight is about right to deal with and get the weather protection over a pound lighter, but this backpacking stuff is very new to me.

The mesh interiors are cooler, but you can open the doors on the solid interior tents. Really, mesh interiors are a relatively recent design feature. Back when I started backpacking in the mid 1970's no tent was available with an all mesh interior. It was only in the mid/late 80's you started to see a few, and not until the 2000's that they became the dominant design. In Europe, particularly in the British Isles, you'll mostly see solid interiors because of the crap weather.

Would add, the Expedition version of the Copper Spur is 1.75lbs+ heavier, not 1lb. Were I going to use the tent mostly for summer backpacking I'd stick with the mesh interior and deal with it in colder weather.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: backpacking tents - 10/04/19
Originally Posted by Tanner
Warm weather for a solo hunt or if a hunting buddy doesn’t mind a small tent I use a Big Agnes Fly Creek 2. For more inclement weather, or any time I’m hunting Alaska, I go to the Hilleberg Nallo 3. Haven’t found much that one of those two tents won’t handle.

I used the Nallo 3 with a guide in AK about 6 years ago on a goat hunt. It was excellent as was the banana bread until a weasel discovered it. We did have a night of heavy wind and rain and it was rock solid. The next tent I buy will be a teepee style with a wood stove.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: backpacking tents - 10/04/19
Originally Posted by smokepole
How's the vestibule space on those Tanner?

The Nallo 3 (or Nallo 2) GT vestibule is amazing. You can get two large packs and two sets of boots in it easily enough. The "regular" nallos have a fairly small vestibule - useful, but not the same level of luxury.

[Linked Image from images.hilleberg.net]
[Linked Image from images.hilleberg.net]
Posted By: Tanner Re: backpacking tents - 10/04/19
The Nallo 3 GT vestibule, unless you have it cracked wide open or use it in a super dry climate, is a recipe for a rain forest type condensation event. I got the non-GT Nallo for that reason- you can stack a couple backpacks in it and your boots/stove, etc but it's definitely not a big vestibule, but I don't mind it much. I usually have a client stick his pack in the vestibule and leave mine outside with my rain cover on it.

The Big Agnes Fly Creek vestibule might as well not even be there. It's big enough for your boots and whiskey bottle... and maybe a stove.
Posted By: prm Re: backpacking tents - 10/04/19
I use a Seek Outside back country shelter which is now discontinued. They make better models now. Paired with a Ti stove I think that’s an amazing combo. When you can dry off, warm up, or just enjoy a nice warm tent in the evening in a package that weighs 6lbs life is good. Plenty of room for two and all gear. Cozy with three but have done it.
Posted By: addicted Re: backpacking tents - 10/05/19
I’m running a Luxe ultralight tepee

Comes with stakes, but you’ll need a trekking pole
Posted By: alpinecrick Re: backpacking tents - 10/05/19

I hate mesh. It's cold, sand and dust get through it and settles on everything, it's cold, and it's not needed to ventilate when there are doors and windows that can be opened. It's cold. The tent manufacturers are in love with mesh, it's cheap and light--the two primary factors yuppies consider when they buy a tent. I have no intention of ever hiking the Appalachian Trail in July...... Have spent some nights in Tepees but not entirely sold, although they have merit.

I currently have a BA Foidel Canyon 2 and like it a lot. It is amazingly light and has stood up to enough hard, wind driven rain and other weather "events" that I have confidence in it. It has adequate vestibules. Use one for entrance/exit and the other to store stuff. Since my all time fav late 70's vintage mountaineering dome tent wore out, I've been through several tents and moved on. But I'm keeping the Foidel.

Alas, BA discontinued the Foidel Canyon. But I have seen the Foidel 2 for sale at very good prices. I haven't seen the Foidel 3 for sale but haven't looked hard, and for two guys in the 215 lb range that would likely be the better bet.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: backpacking tents - 10/05/19
If there is a possibility of foul weather keeping you in your tent a day or two, get a tent 1 person bigger than you think you and your gear need. Being able to spread out a little will keep you from losing your mind.

My favorite solo car camping tent is a marmot limelight 2P. The walls go vertical for about a foot before the dome part starts and that makes the edges of the floor totally useful rather than wasted space. It is right at the edge of what I'd want to backpack, weight-wise, but for extended wet weather, minus heavy wind and snow, it would be a good tent.

If I'm trying to go light, right now I carry a Tarptent ProTrail unless I do a tarp and bivy.

Note that I often carry a tarp even when I carry a tent so I have dry space outside my tent to move around, change clothes, etc so I'm not getting the inside of my tent and my sleeping bag wet from wet gear. Good spot to stack a little firewood, even an hour or two of drying can make a big difference in how it burns.

I don't personally care for camping in the rain no matter how good the tent is. Sometimes you have to but I haven't found a way to enjoy it other than staying home.

Tom
Posted By: 1100RemingtonMan Re: backpacking tents - 10/06/19
Best bang for the buck is Kelty Gunison 3 man tent on sale at there web sight. Weight is just under 8 lbs but if you split between two people you will have a very good tent for the weather. Check out there price on sale very good deal.
I'm 6'2 and my Brother is 6' 4 I have used the Kelty Gunison 4 man for back pack hunts for both 2 people and three in it and it worked but is weights just under 10lb which split 2 or three ways to carry makes a nice tent. I have had it in the snow and temps to 9F in Colorado above 9000 ft. and while not a true light weight tent it stands up to wind and rain and snow very well.
With three hunters we used a 4x8 tarp to throw our packs under at night with two Hunters we just put them inside with us.
If I was backpacking alone I would buy a Copper spur 2 UL man tent or REI 2 man half dome.
Posted By: mtwarden Re: backpacking tents - 10/06/19
I'd also peruse some of Seek Outside pyramid offerings- opens up the option for a stove which is pretty nice on longer trips (dry out clothing, warm up in the evening/morning)- splitting the weight between two folks you're only looking at 3 lbs/person and that's WITH a stove
Posted By: AHM Re: backpacking tents - 10/26/19
also might Check out "big sky international" ...... I have a 2P Revolution... has vestibules on both sides and is a common design by other mfg's as well (copied?)..... (honestly it's a fantastic 1 person tent.... but for 2 dudes who aren't snuggling, get a 3P).... for weight though, an awesome tent I bought for myself as a 1P. ... But hey, what happens in the back country ..... maybe this one works for y'all?
Posted By: cwh2 Re: backpacking tents - 08/13/20
Bumping this back up, as I recently became aware that I need a 2 person 4 season backpacking tent.

Looking hard at the MSR Access 2... anyone used one? Available locally, ungodly expensive for what it is, but it also...

-Doesn't appear to be dependent on stakes to stay upright (Hilleberg)
-Isn't a Big Agnes. Sorry fans, I just can't get on that train.
-Has 2 doors and 2 (tiny) vestibules-
-Has almost enough room for a normal sized human to sit up and maybe even get into/out of a bag?
-Not crazy heavy.
-Mostly mesh free inner tent.
-For what I want this tent for, we're normally 1-2K above timberline. I'm not looking at anything with a stove, because there is nothing to burn.
Your list eliminates an awful lot!
Posted By: Greyghost Re: backpacking tents - 08/13/20
OP, mentions both himself and his hunting partners (s), as if it is for an already planed trip with at least 3 persons... get as large a tent of high quality as you can afford and split the load.

Phil
Posted By: ro1459 Re: backpacking tents - 08/13/20
Try the MSR, Huba Huba. I love mine. It holds up to wind and moderate snow. Not as lite as some but a great hiking tent. I used it on the Pinhote Trail, Alabama and Georgia for 18 days. I used the two person model. Plenty of room and as comfortable as a backpack tent can be.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: backpacking tents - 08/13/20
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Good point. Maybe I'm trying to talk myself into this particular tent....
I like the Hillebergs, but I'd prefer a more freestanding design. I seem to break every BA item that I touch, so not going to go that route.
Posted By: efw Re: backpacking tents - 08/13/20
Originally Posted by Tanner
Warm weather for a solo hunt or if a hunting buddy doesn’t mind a small tent I use a Big Agnes Fly Creek 2.

Yep me too; 13 yo daughter & I fit in just fine. Lots of vestibule space.

Only thing I dislike is inability to set it up fly-less during heat of summer.
Posted By: PatagoniaHunter Re: backpacking tents - 08/13/20
What do you think about Eureka 3-4 season 3 person tents? Looks a very good design with lateral openings and good vestibules each side.This one:

https://eurekacamping.johnsonoutdoors.com/tents/backpacking/mountain-pass-3-person-tent
Originally Posted by cwh2
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Good point. Maybe I'm trying to talk myself into this particular tent....
I like the Hillebergs, but I'd prefer a more freestanding design. I seem to break every BA item that I touch, so not going to go that route.

Not a fan of BA as well, I have zero issues with Hilleberg
Posted By: KC Re: backpacking tents - 08/15/20

Check this out. It's a 4-season, 2 person tent with 2 doors and 2 vestibules that weighs about 5#.

Kuiu Storm Star 2p
Posted By: mtwarden Re: backpacking tents - 08/17/20
^ I have the three season version- Mountain Star and it's a very nice shelter- quick to setup with the attached fly, nice vestibules and has stood up to some very nasty weather; I'm sure the Storm Star is more bomber yet
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: backpacking tents - 08/17/20
Originally Posted by KC

Check this out. It's a 4-season, 2 person tent with 2 doors and 2 vestibules that weighs about 5#.

Kuiu Storm Star 2p

Looks good!

Having "too many" of every type of gear and firearms is the perfect justification of getting more!
Posted By: cwh2 Re: backpacking tents - 08/18/20
Anyone used the stone glacier skyscraper?

https://www.stoneglacier.com/products/skyscraper-2p-tent
Posted By: bbassi Re: backpacking tents - 08/19/20
Originally Posted by PatagoniaHunter
What do you think about Eureka 3-4 season 3 person tents? Looks a very good design with lateral openings and good vestibules each side.This one:

https://eurekacamping.johnsonoutdoors.com/tents/backpacking/mountain-pass-3-person-tent

I have an older version but similar Eureka tent that I use a lot. 6 pounds total weight with stakes and footprint for a 2 person, but it's dam near bomb proof and has lasted many years. The inner is 75% solid and the fly is well made. I've used it in November in NY, but not in any real snow. I've looked at others but until this one fails me I can't see paying the premium to save 2 pounds. $300+ for Eureka seems expensive but I'm betting you could find it much cheaper on line. I may be biased though. I still have my Timberline from when I was in Scouts 40+ years ago.
Posted By: PatagoniaHunter Re: backpacking tents - 08/19/20
Thank you bbassi,

I agree. Having see the prices, the specifications and the reports, the Eureka Mountain Pass 3 p 3-4 season tent is, to me, a real challenger for a 1st place.
Thank you!

PH
Posted By: cwh2 Re: backpacking tents - 08/19/20
Originally Posted by KC

Kuiu Storm Star 2p

It pains me a little to say it, but that does look pretty interesting. That Eureka looks pretty slick for a 3 person tent too.

I'd like to hear first hand reports on the Skyscraper.
Posted By: efw Re: backpacking tents - 08/19/20
Originally Posted by PatagoniaHunter

I have a Kelty (Trail Ridge 3) that’s almost identical to that which I got on EBay for an insane price too low to pass up even tho I didn’t need it. My buddy & his 2 daughters are taking it up to Grand Island this weekend for its first trip.

It’s a genuine 3-person and looks like a genuine 4-season as well but it’s weight is significant tho divided between 2 or 3 people it’d be well worth it.
Posted By: leftycarbon Re: backpacking tents - 08/19/20

Some years ago I bought a Hilleberg UNA followed by a Hilleberg Allack. That pretty well stopped my looking at tents. Both have been used in all kinds of conditions both here in the West as well as Alaska and Canada.

The UNA is a 1 Man + tent that works for me, my dog, and backpack. While in Alaska it withstood almost hurricane force winds w/o any problems. My friends has to line the INSIDE of their tens with rocks to keep them from blowing away.

The Allak is a two man with dual vestibules. Strong and luxury for one person and still plenty of room for 2.

Lots of good tents out there but I am satisfied will my Hilleberg's.

Lefty
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: backpacking tents - 08/22/20
You guys got me. Big Agnes Fly Creek headed my way.
Posted By: Redlander Re: backpacking tents - 08/29/20
Try Tarptent. My wife and I have used a Scarp 2 for several years in Alaska. I also have Moment DW, as a single, but haven’t had it out yet.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: backpacking tents - 10/11/20

Brad mentioned Black Diamond last year. Anybody else with experience with that maker?
Posted By: mtwarden Re: backpacking tents - 10/11/20
Black Diamond tents are single wall tents, fine for dry and cold conditions, but due to their single wall construction there can be condensation issues in any other weather.

I owned a Black Diamond Firstlight for several years- strictly a one season tent- Winter and it did do pretty well with winter conditions and it was light (for a Winter tent).

I sold it recently and am going to try the MSR Access 1 out for my solo Winter tent and should be decent enough for shoulder season stuff as well
© 24hourcampfire