Home
Posted By: fremont Brimmed warm hat - 12/05/19
I've been looking for a brimmed warm hat (e.g., down-filled, covers ears) so my rain hood doesn't fall over my eyes (like when I wear a beanie). I've searched the interweb to no avail. Any tips?
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/05/19
https://www.simmsfishing.com/shop/mens/headwear/gore-tex-exstream-hat-1

Simms Exstream fishing hat
Posted By: ChrisAU Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/05/19
Kuiu Kenai Bomber Hat is very warm:

https://www.kuiu.com/hunting-caps-headwear/kenai-bomber-hat/80031.html
Posted By: 175rltw Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/05/19
Stormy Kromer, not down, but warm and will keep the hood from dropping into your eyes. Plus stays on while you hang your head out the window of your locomotive
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/05/19
One option is to use any lightweight ball cap. Wear the beanie over the cap. I'm a heater when walking up the mountain so I don't want a warm hat.....I wear a plain non-insulated orange cap, brim helps keep sun out of my eyes and helps me hold bino's steady. When I'm sitting and start cooling off I'll put the beanie on over it. Works well with hood from rain jacket too.
Posted By: pointer Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/05/19
The brimmed beanie from First Lite is suprisingly warm for no more than it weighs. That said, I usually do like JCM if I'm having to cover much ground.
Posted By: BluMtn Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/05/19
Originally Posted by 175rltw
Stormy Kromer, not down, but warm and will keep the hood from dropping into your eyes. Plus stays on while you hang your head out the window of your locomotive

Thats what I wear. But I don't have a locomotive, wish I did though. When I was much younger I heard my dad say he was planning on going to college to be an engineer. For alot of my younger years I thought you had to go to college to run a train. I think I was in high school when it dawned on me that he was not talking about trains.
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/05/19
I wear one of these a lot in the winter,

https://www.duluthtrading.com/mens-...RN#start=24&cgid=mens-outerwear-hats
Posted By: 175rltw Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/05/19
Originally Posted by BluMtn

Thats what I wear. But I don't have a locomotive, wish I did though. When I was much younger I heard my dad say he was planning on going to college to be an engineer. For alot of my younger years I thought you had to go to college to run a train. I think I was in high school when it dawned on me that he was not talking about trains.
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/05/19
Ball cap and a balaclava. Mix and match with the rain coat hood as needed.
Posted By: addicted Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/06/19
Originally Posted by pointer
The brimmed beanie from First Lite is suprisingly warm for no more than it weighs. That said, I usually do like JCM if I'm having to cover much ground.

What he said...
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/06/19
I like the Stormy Kromer.
Posted By: Brad Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/06/19
Originally Posted by ChrisAU

One of the warmest hats out there. It’s a copy of the old Adventure 16 Bomber (and the later Columbia Yazoo), and the only hat worthy of sub zero temps.

A nearly perfect hat.
Posted By: GregW Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/06/19
Originally Posted by Brad

One of the warmest hats out there. It’s a copy of the old Adventure 16 Bomber (and the later Columbia Yazoo), and the only hat worthy of sub zero temps.

A nearly perfect hat.

Yes....

I don't wear mine often but it's amazing..
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/06/19
I wear the Sitka Hudson GTX Waterfowl hat which has replaced my worn out Duck Commander hat of the same design.. it has ear flaps that fold, a bill which is perfect to keep my rain hood out of my eyes, it’s warm & mostly waterproof.

I love it.
Posted By: Shifty98 Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/06/19
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
One option is to use any lightweight ball cap. Wear the beanie over the cap. I'm a heater when walking up the mountain so I don't want a warm hat.....I wear a plain non-insulated orange cap, brim helps keep sun out of my eyes and helps me hold bino's steady. When I'm sitting and start cooling off I'll put the beanie on over it. Works well with hood from rain jacket too.

This is what I do too. Simple, cheap, easy.
Posted By: Tejano Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/06/19
Call me an Old Fudd but I am sporting one of these and liking it a lot. https://www.moosejaw.com/product/filson-double-mackinaw-cap_10266590?ad_id=GooglePlusBox&utm_source=GooglePlusBox&utm_medium=PLA&utm_campaign=Filson&scid=scplp3880509&sc_intid=3880509&adpos=1o20&cm_mmc=PLA-_-Google-_-SC_Shopping_NoPromo_Brand_Desktop|SC_Shopping_NoPromo_Brand_Desktop-_-google|1486604067|63167302771|284196963351|pla-379071813014|c|9028258|3880509&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy-TGtrmh5gIVeCCtBh2iewWbEAQYFCABEgLmB_D_BwE

The Yazoo hat has been a mainstay for water-fowling and if I am four wheeling in the cold. Sportsman's guide has a number of surplus military versions of the Yazoo for on the cheap prices. A wool baseball hat or Stormy Khromer and a beanie or balaclava has much to recommend it.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/06/19

this one looks like the winner !
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/06/19
Originally Posted by tikkanut

this one looks like the winner !

The OP wants brim to keep his hood from interfering with his vision and I fully understand that, I hate hoods for that very reason. I am not sure the Kuiu Hat has a brim long enough to do that effectively. I like all of the other features it has.
Posted By: fremont Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/07/19
Originally Posted by VaHunter
The OP wants brim to keep his hood from interfering with his vision and I fully understand that, I hate hoods for that very reason. I am not sure the Kuiu Hat has a brim long enough to do that effectively.

^^^^That.

Would love it if it worked, though. Looks warm and like the ability to keep straps up.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/07/19
The Stormy Kromer Rancher is my choice, in red plaid. It's wool and stays warm even when it gets wet. It looks a bit Elmer Fuddish but I really don't care.

[Linked Image from cdn11.bigcommerce.com]
https://www.sleepingindianusa.com/product/northbound-hat/
Posted By: Hubert Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/07/19
I believe in PA you must wear a blaze orange head cover when hunting , or walking in a hunting area.
Posted By: Robster Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/08/19

Exactly what I do as well
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/08/19
Outdoor Research Whitefish, stiff, large brim, earflaps and a face cover. Best of all it is 100% polyester so is very water repellant and dries very quickly. I wore it daily for 30 days in Wyoming this fall and it is the best I've had.

mike r
Posted By: ElkSlayer91 Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/08/19
Originally Posted by fremont
I've been looking for a brimmed warm hat (e.g., down-filled, covers ears) so my rain hood doesn't fall over my eyes (like when I wear a beanie). I've searched the interweb to no avail. Any tips?

https://www.filson.com/insulated-blaze-tin-cloth-cap.html#sku=11060074-fco-000001080

https://www.filson.com/double-mackinaw-cap.html#sku=11060041-fco-002108147

Look on ebay for a used or new.
Posted By: AHM Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/16/19
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91

This might be my favorite of all time... very versatile ....worth a look
I also do a ball cap with beanie or smartwool headband for the ears.
Posted By: SKane Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/16/19
Originally Posted by Brad

A nearly perfect hat.

Yep. Perfectly perfect!
Posted By: diamondjim Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/16/19
Another Kromer user here. I have 7 of them and think I need more............
Posted By: stevevan1 Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/16/19
Easy answer. Best there is made right here in the Yooper country of Michigan. Stormy Kromer of course.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/17/19
I just received a gift. It is a Coal Yukon. Soft wool w/ fleece lining and about a 2" plastic stiffened bill. It is very comfortable and low profile. I will try it out in the mountains in the next couple of days and report back. You can't have too many good hats.

mike r
Posted By: aalf Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/18/19
King of the Mountain Bomber Hat...I've got 2 of them, one of the originals with the pile lining on the ear flaps, and the latest with the double layer of wool on the flaps.

https://kingofthemountain.com/shop/hats-caps/bomber-hat/

I did just order a Sitka Jetstream hat:

https://www.rogerssportinggoods.com/Sitka-Jetstream-Hat-OSFA
Posted By: battue Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/18/19
Place a hand warmer packet on top of you head-If you are not bald-then put your favorite brimmed hat on.

Posted By: River_Ridge Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/18/19
Originally Posted by Robster

Exactly what I do as well

Another vote for this. It gives you several options depending on the weather/temperature.
Originally Posted by battue
Place a hand warmer packet on top of you head-If you are not bald-then put your favorite brimmed hat on.

EXCUSE ME! smile smile smile
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Not the best thing to do for the bald combined with a sensitive dome. In your case, break open two packs, in addition to there being more than a little dome to warm. grin
Posted By: RMerta Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/18/19
Kromer wearer myself. Blaze orange rancher for firearms and camo for bow and waterfowling.

Not the best thing to do for the bald combined with a sensitive dome. In your case, break open two packs, in addition to there being more than a little dome to warm. grin

smile smile smile Merry Christmas you old crazy bastard, I hope you are doing well my friend. I am going to make sure we shoot this summer at least once!
Merry Christmas to you and yours also. Hanging just fine at the present. 😉

Let me know, good shoot will travel.

smile smile smile you old crazy bastard,

EXCUSE ME????. grin

Time sucked, but I was on the mend....

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/18/19

Great hats.

Am staying with the poly balaclava + shemagh and/or/plus fleece balaclava + beanie/boonie + parka hood.
Posted By: vdeal Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/18/19
Lots of options out there: Outdoor Research, Duluth Trading, Army wool watch cap, Swedish military cap, etc. I mix and match but I haven't had luck with Stormy Kromer's. The new style isn't the same as the old and the "ear flaps" are practically worthless to me. BTW, the Kuiu cap certainly isn't the only sub-zero worthy cap out there. I've got a waxed cotton Mad Bomber that I can't wear above 5°F or it's just too warm and I suspect the Filson Double Mackinaw caps are the same.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/18/19
Its not a brimmed hat, but I wear a rabbit fur bomber hat when its really cold. Prefer it to most things, but I don't have nearly the hat selection that some of you must have.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/19/19
Originally Posted by lvmiker
I just received a gift. It is a Coal Yukon. Soft wool w/ fleece lining and about a 2" plastic stiffened bill. It is very comfortable and low profile. I will try it out in the mountains in the next couple of days and report back. You can't have too many good hats.

mike r

Used it today on a hike. 28*f and 20 mph winds. I'll give it a 6 out 10. The bill is too short when walking into an afternoon sun. It is comfortable but bordering on not warm enough. I will leave it in the truck for just in case.

mike r
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/19/19
Originally Posted by cwh2
Its not a brimmed hat, but I wear a rabbit fur bomber hat when its really cold. Prefer it to most things, but I don't have nearly the hat selection that some of you must have.
Bomber hats are warm to be sure, probably the warmest choice of all. However, I wear glasses and highly prefer a hat with a brim to keep glare and snow off of them. Also, 10 years ago I had cataract surgery and bright sun hurts my eyes much more than it used to. A cap of some kind is a must.

Someone said that the Kromer hats aren't as good as they used to be. I posted that I wear one and added a photo of my red plaid Kromer Rancher. It's not the best fitting hat I've worn and the ear flaps aren't as warm as they could be, but it does work. It has a tendency to ride up in back so I often have to push it back down. A shaped ear flap that came down over the ears but not so far down over the neck would probably reduce the riding up.
Posted By: comerade Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/19/19
I wear a soft , felt cowboy hat , and a silk rag around my neck most times. I have a bomber hat for chores and close work. All winter hats must be easy to use a headlamp with.
Posted By: CWT Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/19/19
https://www.filson.com/wool-logger-cap.html#
Posted By: Biathlonman Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/20/19
My favorite was the Plenty coups archery “Coups cap” but they were bought out by Two tracks archery who makes wool and fleece of the same.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/20/19

If it's cold enough for wool, it's cold enough for ear flaps.
Posted By: cas6969 Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/20/19
So it sounds like he wants a warm billed hat, not a brimmed hat. Or at least those are the suggestions he's getting.
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/20/19
Originally Posted by cas6969
So it sounds like he wants a warm billed hat, not a brimmed hat. Or at least those are the suggestions he's getting.

Yes I think the OP means a billed cap since he specifically says he wants it to keep a hood from dropping over his eyes and a brimmed cap/hat will not work very well with a hood. I hate hoods but I am a fisherman and we wear rain gear a lot and without a billed cap you cannot keep a darn hood out of your face.
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/20/19

That might be a good hat for North Carolina weather but it's not what the OP is looking for................"I've been looking for a brimmed warm hat (e.g., down-filled, covers ears) so my rain hood doesn't fall over my eyes (like when I wear a beanie). I've searched the interweb to no avail. Any tips?"

If you can't cover your ears 100%........you're out to lunch IMO.

Posted By: 175rltw Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/20/19
That Filson is ready for a ride on mrs kromer’s singer.
Posted By: shaman Re: Brimmed warm hat - 12/30/19
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...cktarn-winter-caps-3-pack-used?a=2208273

[Linked Image from image.sportsmansguide.com]

I just bought a bunch of these at Sportmansguide.com. We keep these around camp, because they are very warm. This batch was exceptionally warm. They work very well in keeping a hood out of your face as well.
Posted By: Ed_T Re: Brimmed warm hat - 01/01/20
Outdoor Research Whitefish, stiff, large brim, earflaps and a face cover. Best of all it is 100% polyester so is very water repellant and dries very quickly. I wore it daily for 30 days in Wyoming this fall and it is the best I've had.

mike r

+1 on the OR Whitefish. I picked one up on Sierra Trading for $20.
I think it’s going to be ideal and I prefer the snaps to Velcro. Velcro catches on everything.
Posted By: Smokey262 Re: Brimmed warm hat - 01/01/20
I bought one of these with member points a few years ago. Does exactly what you are looking for, it's super warm and comfortable, and you can fold the ear flaps up as you please. It too is not a fashion item, and I also don't care how I look with it on smile

https://www.rei.com/product/119161/rei-co-op-insulated-waterproof-hat
Posted By: AB2506 Re: Brimmed warm hat - 01/11/20
Ravenwear is now defunct, but I have 3 of their Canuck hats. Max4, Blaze,White. Their are windproof, insulated fleece, with a short brim and ear flaps. They have never been too cold. I wish the brim had a plastic stiffener. Other than that, a very good hat.

The owners retired and closed the business.
Posted By: Bogtrotter Re: Brimmed warm hat - 01/11/20

I agree I have a Stormy kromer, it's great!
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: Brimmed warm hat - 01/11/20

That right there.

Another option over the ballcap is those liners you can get for hardhats. Great for the ears, but depending on the flavor can also handle the neck and throat. Balaclavas work but my beef with them, if any, is that they hug the skin too tight when sometimes you want a little breathing room.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Brimmed warm hat - 01/11/20
I tried on a Milwaukee cuffed beanie at Home Depot. It's a little expensive for a stocking cap but it's heavier than most stocking caps, quite warm, and fits great over a ball cap.

[Linked Image from images.homedepot-static.com]
Posted By: nyrifleman Re: Brimmed warm hat - 01/11/20
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I tried on a Milwaukee cuffed beanie at Home Depot. It's a little expensive for a stocking cap but it's heavier than most stocking caps, quite warm, and fits great over a ball cap.

[Linked Image from images.homedepot-static.com]

The Carhartt version works well too.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Brimmed warm hat - 01/12/20
I tried on a Carhartt, too, but with my wide head, the Milwaukee fit better. It's also a bit heavier than the Carhartt.
Posted By: JGray Re: Brimmed warm hat - 01/12/20
Originally Posted by Ed_T

mike r

+1 on the OR Whitefish. I picked one up on Sierra Trading for $20.
I think it’s going to be ideal and I prefer the snaps to Velcro. Velcro catches on everything.

Thanks for that - been wearing Stormy Kromer styles for years and have wanted a change. This looks perfect for what I'm after so just ordered one...
Posted By: mtwarden Re: Brimmed warm hat - 01/18/20

I got one a couple of days ago- nice warm hat! smile
Posted By: B_n_C_Buck Re: Brimmed warm hat - 01/20/20

This one is great for sitting on a stand.
© 24hourcampfire