Home
Posted By: TomM1 Need pack advice - 05/04/20
My 19 year old Cabelas Alaskan Pack is finally fubar after a recent trip backpacking for native brookies. It has hauled everything from moose quarters and mountain goat to summer hiking trips with kids. I have repaired multiple broken pins, modified it so it would fit in a super cub, etc. lots of good memories but has exceeded it useful life (too many broken buckles, straps, etc. to trust it on a hunt far away from home).

So in the market for a new pack. $300 max budget (kids make you poor), I am seeking something durable, no frills, minimum pockets, just bombproof for longevity. Something that will hold enough gear for a 3-day hunt, sturdy enough to pack a mule deer sized critter. I realize packs have advanced and in turn gone up in price, but cant spend too much. Something that also has a rifle carrying system would also be great, as I am tired of getting creative with P-chord everytime I have to haul meat. So, any new models that fit my bill or used models I should be looking out for greatly appreciated. I dont live near anyplace where I can go try a bunch which is what I would prefer. Im 6', 190 lbs. I was looking at the badlands sacrifice LS? It has everything I am looking for, but wish to hear in regards to the durability of their gear.
Posted By: mtwarden Re: Need pack advice - 05/04/20
I would suggest looking at used packs from the top tier makers ie Stone Glacier, Kifaru, Seek Outside. A lot of guys like to get the very newest models that come out and sell their "old" packs for very reasonable. The packs may have some dirt or a stain or two, but are going to perfectly functional, carry well and last a long (long time).

Peruse the classified's here and at Rokslide and I bet you can get into a really nice pack very close to your budget.
Originally Posted by mtwarden
I would suggest looking at used packs from the top tier makers ie Stone Glacier, Kifaru, Seek Outside. A lot of guys like to get the very newest models that come out and sell their "old" packs for very reasonable. The packs may have some dirt or a stain or two, but are going to perfectly functional, carry well and last a long (long time).

Peruse the classified's here and at Rokslide and I bet you can get into a really nice pack very close to your budget.

Best advice that can be given right there!
Posted By: TomM1 Re: Need pack advice - 05/04/20
Thanks guys. I’ve been cruising the classifieds here without seeing much. Need to start looking over on Rokslide. If anyone see’s something, please PM me. Thanks again.
Posted By: TomM1 Re: Need pack advice - 06/11/20
Well after much searching and research, I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought a MR Metcalf. Mountain archery has a sale going and it was 420.00 shipped. Looking forward to getting a load in it and hit my training route here in Appalachia. Will get a good workout backpacking this summer with Colorado mule deer coming up in the fall.
© 24hourcampfire