Home
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Glock Aficionados - 08/03/20
Serious question,

Should the slides have front and rear sights machined in, as permanent fixtures, set at the center of the slide with the ability to swap out different colored or tritium embedded dots?

Or maybe have the rear sight set in with a pin and slot, so that it's immovable for windage?

Or should they be as they are, rear sight driftable for windage?

Should backstraps be interchangeable, or set as a one size fits all "take it as it is" approach?

Thanks
Posted By: MOGC Re: Glock Aficionados - 08/03/20
Glock sights are easily replaced as is. And the latest generations of Glock have interchangeable backstraps. All that is a good thing.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Glock Aficionados - 08/03/20
Not sure what's wrong, must be me, I often gave the rear sight adjusted way off the side.

I despise a gun with totally fixed sights.

Even if you don't need adjustment, easy replacement is a nice option.
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Glock Aficionados - 08/03/20
Nobody looks at sights exactly the same. Add in small manufacturing variances, ammunition changes, etc and having the ability to adjust your sights accordingly is appropriate.

Bearing that in mind, the vast majority of the time that a pistol has the rear sight adjust grossly to one side or another, that is often an indicator of the user having performance issues that need to be worked on. Often you will get lots of "helpful"/well meaning advice from folks who will parrot what they have heard others say, or read in an article. 95% of the times it won't help. Find an accomplished USPSA shooter, someone who actually wins as well who knows how to coach and diagnose issues.

In your case I would go out with coach and have them shoot your gun, and you theirs.

In your case look into sympathetic reflex as a possible issue.

Sympathetic reflex is where as the shooter squeezes the trigger they squeeze the rest of their fingers simultaneously, tightening the grip on the gun. This, for a right handed shooter almost always causes them to pull the shots to the left. This is a multi part issue of learning of to properly grip a handgun, trigger control, and anticipation of recoil. There is a good bit to it. However there are some great videos out there on how to properly grip a pistol.

World champ Bob Vogel is one guy to really pay attention to when it comes to properly gripping and shooting a pistol.

Lots of great info on how to properly grip in the first video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU2BuId3Kho

Here he is with more advice and some shooting fast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C3V9w_tl4k

Cheers!
Posted By: deflave Re: Glock Aficionados - 08/03/20
Everything Mackay said and I'll add that while the interchangeable backstraps are cute and trendy, they're not going to correct a fugked up grip or trigger placement.

The main benefit on a Glock is the option of a beavertail because the different grip angle does cause bite on some shooters. So that can be a great benefit but it shouldn't be changing POI when you're shooting the gun.

Another unique factor involving Glocks is that the pin and mechanism sits right of center. If a shooter tends to shoot left, they will do more so with a Glock. It's not 100% but it is common.

When people start pushing sights on duty-style guns you have to ask yourself a very simple and pragmatic question:

"Am I going to do this for every shooter?"

The answer is a resounding no. You fix the shooter, not the guns.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Not sure what's wrong, must be me, I often gave the rear sight adjusted way off the side.

You never learned how to shoot a handgun.
Posted By: glockdoofus Re: Glock Aficionados - 08/03/20
Don't worry deprave will instruct you by showing a video of himself putting them into the same hole at 50 yards with his Glock Gen5 9MM Miraculous Farce.
Hold onto your seat because it will be awesome. The ORACLE is in the building. Greatness will be upon us.
Posted By: 79S Re: Glock Aficionados - 08/03/20
Originally Posted by glockdoofus
Don't worry deprave will instruct you by showing a video of himself putting them into the same hole at 50 yards with his Glock Gen5 9MM Miraculous Farce.
Hold onto your seat because it will be awesome. The ORACLE is in the building. Greatness will be upon us.

Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Glock Aficionados - 08/03/20
Originally Posted by deflave

You never learned how to shoot a handgun.

I can hit [bleep].
But that doesn't mean I'm not wrong, maybe just consistent.

I can hit [bleep].

There are many varieties of handguns on this earth.

But Glocks are duty-guns.

If a person needs a factory Glock adjusted, they are doing something wrong as a shooter.
Posted By: Slavek Re: Glock Aficionados - 08/03/20

I can hit [bleep].

There are many varieties of handguns on this earth.

But Glocks are duty-guns.

If a person needs a factory Glock adjusted, they are doing something wrong as a shooter.

Many companies make duty guns: Heckler & Koch, Fabrique Nationale, Smith&Wesson, Beretta, Walther,......
I don't mind plastic sights. Long time ago I had "duty-type" metal-framed S&W with plastic sights. They were ok.
My Glock still has original sights installed, the bullets hit where they supposed to.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Glock Aficionados - 08/04/20
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Nobody looks at sights exactly the same. Add in small manufacturing variances, ammunition changes, etc and having the ability to adjust your sights accordingly is appropriate.

Bearing that in mind, the vast majority of the time that a pistol has the rear sight adjust grossly to one side or another, that is often an indicator of the user having performance issues that need to be worked on. Often you will get lots of "helpful"/well meaning advice from folks who will parrot what they have heard others say, or read in an article. 95% of the times it won't help. Find an accomplished USPSA shooter, someone who actually wins as well who knows how to coach and diagnose issues.

In your case I would go out with coach and have them shoot your gun, and you theirs.

Sympathetic reflex is where as the shooter squeezes the trigger they squeeze the rest of their fingers simultaneously, tightening the grip on the gun. This, for a right handed shooter almost always causes them to pull the shots to the left. This is a multi part issue of learning of to properly grip a handgun, trigger control, and anticipation of recoil. There is a good bit to it. However there are some great videos out there on how to properly grip a pistol.

World champ Bob Vogel is one guy to really pay attention to when it comes to properly gripping and shooting a pistol.

Cheers!

Thanks for the well thought out response Mackay.

I am all for a drift adjustable rear, and removable fronts. As you say, it allows for all the variances you noted.

I was curious how many on here honestly believe a Glock's sights should be left as set from the factory. And if the sights are perfect as is, why isn't the frame. If they sights truly are perfect as is, and it's the shooter that needs fixed, not the gun, then why are there so many options to do so.
Posted By: RemModel8 Re: Glock Aficionados - 08/04/20
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
If they sights truly are perfect as is, and it's the shooter that needs fixed, not the gun, then why are there so many options to do so.

MONEY
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Glock Aficionados - 08/04/20
Originally Posted by RemModel8
If they sights truly are perfect as is, and it's the shooter that needs fixed, not the gun, then why are there so many options to do so.

MONEY

And shidty shooters that won't fix themselves and would rather fugg around with sights, grips, etc. Yeah I know. But still the question remains.

If the sights are perfect as is, then they ought to be pinned, welded, or integrally machined into place. They could drop the price point and sell even more of them.

Or maybe, just maybe...... They aren't always perfect. Or maybe there are shooters who could benefit from a slight adjustment, whose grip, etc etc isn't all fugged up.

nah, couldn't be. laugh
Posted By: MOGC Re: Glock Aficionados - 08/04/20
Glock plastic sights are really just slot fillers. I detest the damned things. Actual sights are steel, I like a tritium for up front and either plain black on the back or a single tritium dot for a figure eight dot over dot sight picture.
Posted By: deflave Re: Glock Aficionados - 08/04/20
Originally Posted by Slavek

Many companies make duty guns: Heckler & Koch, Fabrique Nationale, Smith&Wesson, Beretta, Walther,......
I don't mind plastic sights. Long time ago I had "duty-type" metal-framed S&W with plastic sights. They were ok.
My Glock still has original sights installed, the bullets hit where they supposed to.

You can't afford any of them.
Posted By: deflave Re: Glock Aficionados - 08/04/20
Originally Posted by MOGC
Glock plastic sights are really just slot fillers. I detest the damned things. Actual sights are steel, I like a tritium for up front and either plain black on the back or a single tritium dot for a figure eight dot over dot sight picture.

To be clear, Gruff is not complaining about the factory sights on a Glock.

He has a theory that each individual weapon should be adjusted to a respective shooter.

He rejects the notion that sights should be centered on the handgun and the shooter just be adjusted from that point forward.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Glock Aficionados - 08/04/20
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Cheers!

Spot on! When I first transitioned to a striker fured pistol I was consistently shooting left. After careful assessment I realized that I was pushing my shots left with an improper trigger pull. I corrected this flaw and the pistol started shooting to point of aim
Posted By: MOGC Re: Glock Aficionados - 08/04/20

He has a theory that each individual weapon should be adjusted to a respective shooter.

He rejects the notion that sights should be centered on the handgun and the shooter just be adjusted from that point forward.

Ahhh... I see, said the blind man. Those typical striker fired gun groups that are low left groups 10" away from center are shooter error. Pretty common for new shooters. Nice tight round groups that are consistently a couple inches off one way or another probably need a slight tweak of the sights.
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: Glock Aficionados - 08/05/20
Ahhh... I see, said the blind man. Those typical striker fired gun groups that are low left groups 10" away from center are shooter error.

Yep. Once upon a time that described my pistol shooting. After listening to the real pistolero's this forum I realized i was doing it wrong, and fixed it.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Glock Aficionados - 08/06/20

That is an accurate summation my friend.

Ahhh... I see, said the blind man. Those typical striker fired gun groups that are low left groups 10" away from center are shooter error. Pretty common for new shooters. Nice tight round groups that are consistently a couple inches off one way or another probably need a slight tweak of the sights.

Thank you for agreeing with me.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Glock Aficionados - 08/06/20
Of course! smile
Posted By: JohnBurns Re: Glock Aficionados - 08/06/20
Serious question,

Should the slides have front and rear sights machined in, as permanent fixtures, set at the center of the slide with the ability to swap out different colored or tritium embedded dots?

Or maybe have the rear sight set in with a pin and slot, so that it's immovable for windage?

Or should they be as they are, rear sight driftable for windage?

Should backstraps be interchangeable, or set as a one size fits all "take it as it is" approach?

Thanks

Glock would need to do some serious tightening of tolerances and do lots of training as right and left hand shooters tend to have windage changes until they have a neutral grip.

Lots of tolerance stack affects point of impact from barrels to slides.

That said a lot of shooters want better sights than Glock seems inclined to produce so easily replaced sights seem like a good feature.
Posted By: glockdoofus Re: Glock Aficionados - 08/06/20
Where are all these perfect shooters like this site has? I have been a member of a outdoor range from around 1969 to now and have shot on indoor ranges etc. Never have I laid eyes on the perfect shooter like the shooters on here. Never have to adjust their sights, always pinpoints the bullseye, never has a flyer, never flinches, always perfect always.
Before I pass away because of death I sure would like to see one. Just one and my life would be complete. I have heard talk of perfect shooters at work, at the gunshop, other places too but have never seen one in person. Especially at a shooting range.
Where oh where are you perfect shooter? Let us see you demonstrate that perfect perfectness that you use to make us lowly ones hide from your radiance it is so overwhelming.
Posted By: GeorgiaBoy Re: Glock Aficionados - 08/06/20
I'm at the age where I've come realize that everything does not need to be tweaked. As with all of my firearms, I am the weak link. And, there is something called accurate enough. That is me...I was and never will be a world class shooter.

Travis's first post was spot on. It jogged my memory. I do have a tendency to shoot to the left with all of my GLOCKS (except my 26). It usually takes me a 6-8 rounds to correct this. After that, I'm good to go.

I like GLOCKS. Not because they are "perfect", but because they are accurate enough. As has been pointed out, they are duty guns. For most of us, or at least me, that is all the gun I can handle.

I have tried almost every way I know how to make my GLOCKs fail. They have eaten every type of ammo I have fed them. In almost 10,000 rounds of ammo over the coarse of 14 years...I have had a total of 2 FTE/FTF. Both were operator error. It seems I have developed a tendency to place my support hand (thumb) too high on the frame and it drags the slide. That I can correct with grip...no modification to the firearm needed.

I don't shoot for groups with a handgun. I am not a bullseye shooter. Some people are. Some are just naturally gifted shooters. I am not one of them...so I don't train that way.

I do my shooing on a farm. I use 8" paper plates as targets. The inside ring of those paper plates is 6". That 6" represents center body mass for me...and that is my target.

I practice shooting on the move and behind cover. I have multiple targets set up...and I have several 55 gallon drums arranged at different yardages around those targets. I'll even use a tractor or a vehicle for cover from time to time.

If I can put multiple shots in that 6" circle...from different angles..on the move and behind cover...at various distances...then that is good enough. I feel as though I can stop any threat...even if I can't bullseye 16 times from a 17 round magazine at 25 yrds.

Having said that, I know I would benefit from some training. Wish I could find a qualified instructor in my area. A retired Marine...a Marine Team Bullseye shooter befriended me at the range. He would watch me shoot...come over and make some little suggestion...and what a difference those little corrections made. He was in his 80s when he passed away two years ago. He was still competing Nationally in Bullseye competition. Miss him! An awesome shooter.
Makes me sick every time i see Vogel shoot! Sick with envy..... laugh

He's a machine for sure.

Mike
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
I'm at the age where I've come realize that everything does not need to be tweaked. As with all of my firearms, I am the weak link. And, there is something called accurate enough. That is me...I was and never will be a world class shooter.

Travis's first post was spot on. It jogged my memory. I do have a tendency to shoot to the left with all of my GLOCKS (except my 26). It usually takes me a 6-8 rounds to correct this. After that, I'm good to go.

I like GLOCKS. Not because they are "perfect", but because they are accurate enough. As has been pointed out, they are duty guns. For most of us, or at least me, that is all the gun I can handle.

I have tried almost every way I know how to make my GLOCKs fail. They have eaten every type of ammo I have fed them. In almost 10,000 rounds of ammo over the coarse of 14 years...I have had a total of 2 FTE/FTF. Both were operator error. It seems I have developed a tendency to place my support hand (thumb) too high on the frame and it drags the slide. That I can correct with grip...no modification to the firearm needed.

I don't shoot for groups with a handgun. I am not a bullseye shooter. Some people are. Some are just naturally gifted shooters. I am not one of them...so I don't train that way.

I do my shooing on a farm. I use 8" paper plates as targets. The inside ring of those paper plates is 6". That 6" represents center body mass for me...and that is my target.

I practice shooting on the move and behind cover. I have multiple targets set up...and I have several 55 gallon drums arranged at different yardages around those targets. I'll even use a tractor or a vehicle for cover from time to time.

If I can put multiple shots in that 6" circle...from different angles..on the move and behind cover...at various distances...then that is good enough. I feel as though I can stop any threat...even if I can't bullseye 16 times from a 17 round magazine at 25 yrds.

Having said that, I know I would benefit from some training. Wish I could find a qualified instructor in my area. A retired Marine...a Marine Team Bullseye shooter befriended me at the range. He would watch me shoot...come over and make some little suggestion...and what a difference those little corrections made. He was in his 80s when he passed away two years ago. He was still competing Nationally in Bullseye competition. Miss him! An awesome shooter.

Congratulations. Read MOGC's post above. I wasn't bashing Glock at all, merely saying the ability to drift a sight isn't a bad thing. I hope whatever you are drawing and shooting at allows you that 6-8 rounds to get centered.
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Makes me sick every time i see Vogel shoot! Sick with envy..... laugh

He's a machine for sure.

Mike

He's a natural. Put anything in his hand and He will shoot it well. I would say all of the top shooters are that way...naturals. Having access to unlimited ammo also has its advantages. wink
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy

Congratulations. Read MOGC's post above. I wasn't bashing Glock at all, merely saying the ability to drift a sight isn't a bad thing. I hope whatever you are drawing and shooting at allows you that 6-8 rounds to get centered.

I did not mean to imply that it takes me 6-8 rounds to hit the target. I am not to the left of the 8" plate. Even shooting to the left, I will put those 6-8 round in the lungs.

Any shot placed between the hips up to and between the shoulders will neutralize a threat...or at least buy one enough time to make an escape or find cover.

Hope you, myself, or anyone of us posting to this topic never have to draw and shoot.
Posted By: RemModel8 Re: Glock Aficionados - 08/06/20
If you boys are having problems with Glocks, I can't imagine how bad it must be with fixed sight revolvers.
Posted By: glockdoofus Re: Glock Aficionados - 08/06/20
Where are all these perfect shooters like this site has? I have been a member of a outdoor range from around 1969 to now and have shot on indoor ranges etc. Never have I laid eyes on the perfect shooter like the shooters on here. Never have to adjust their sights, always pinpoints the bullseye, never has a flyer, never flinches, always perfect always.
Before I pass away because of death I sure would like to see one. Just one and my life would be complete. I have heard talk of perfect shooters at work, at the gunshop, other places too but have never seen one in person. Especially at a shooting range.
Where oh where are you perfect shooter? Let us see you demonstrate that perfect perfectness that you use to make us lowly ones hide from your radiance it is so overwhelming.

I have resubmitted my question to the ILLUMINATED ILLUMINATI Where are the PERFECT ONES with an answer?
Posted By: RemModel8 Re: Glock Aficionados - 08/06/20

I have resubmitted my question to the ILLUMINATED ILLUMINATI Where are the PERFECT ONES with an answer?

I figured you were an old man. Tic toc
Posted By: Slavek Re: Glock Aficionados - 08/06/20

This site does not have "perfect shooters". For example, if small group is shot with a rifle it is almost always in wrong place on the target. It should depending on rage shot slightly above center of target/bull eye, but it's always way off that.
Posted By: deflave Re: Glock Aficionados - 08/06/20

Thank you for agreeing with me.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: Glock Aficionados - 08/06/20
I agree with Travis about the replaceable palm swells on the new model Glocks. The big help is the beaver tail.

Ron
Posted By: deflave Re: Glock Aficionados - 08/07/20
A few months or weeks from now Gruff's gonna draw and shoot a nice tight group in a really short amount of time.

Then he's going to walk down to his target and see it prints to the right.

Then he's going to quietly start looking for his hammer and punch.

Again...

LOL
Posted By: glockdoofus Re: Glock Aficionados - 08/07/20
Does that mean he will move into the ranks of a PERFECT SHOOTER like the rest of the ILLUMINATED ILLUMINATI the ones who are perfect and all knowing?
The will be a glorious day in his otherwise humble life when he becomes unhumble and full of self.

Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Glock Aficionados - 08/07/20
A few months or weeks from now Gruff's gonna draw and shoot a nice tight group in a really short amount of time.

Then he's going to walk down to his target and see it prints to the right.

Then he's going to quietly start looking for his hammer and punch.

Again...

LOL

False.

There would be nothing quiet about it. laugh
If you boys are having problems with Glocks, I can't imagine how bad it must be with fixed sight revolvers.

God help the pristine Model 58 that finds its way into Gruff's hands.
Posted By: RemModel8 Re: Glock Aficionados - 08/07/20

I'll need an Ambien tonight, thanks.

I'll need an Ambien tonight, thanks.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
[Linked Image from media1.tenor.com]

And I know everyone will laugh me out of this place, but a like version in 44Mag would be the shizzle. I have a very strong dislike for the 3 T's.
Sweet Jesus, a 3 inch Smith in 44 with fixed sights, regulated for 240-255gr bullets would kick ass.
Posted By: BillyGoatGruff Re: Glock Aficionados - 08/07/20

Dremel out the side of the rear notch, dab of cold blue she'd be good as new. Or put the barrel in a vise, and hammer over the front sight.

Dremel out the side of the rear notch, dab of cold blue she'd be good as new. Or put the barrel in a vise, and hammer over the front sight.

For those of you that don't know Gruff, he is not joking.
Posted By: deflave Re: Glock Aficionados - 08/08/20

And I know everyone will laugh me out of this place, but a like version in 44Mag would be the shizzle. I have a very strong dislike for the 3 T's.

Oh God yes.

Pass the 44.
Posted By: BobBrown Re: Glock Aficionados - 08/08/20
A 3" S&W 45 ACP is kewl
© 24hourcampfire