Home
First time I ever tried it. Went smoothly, and it looks like it should be fairly straightforward to reassemble.

Whatever cop used to own this gun (a Gen 4 Glock 22 police trade in) apparently didn't know that most of the gun is supposed to remain unlubed (other than a few key spots), because all the insides of both the frame and slide are totally gunked up with gobs and gobs of filthy, black, oil. I plan to hose down both the stripped frame and slide with a canned degreaser/solvent. Maybe I'll put most of the gunked up small parts in a tin pan and hose them down, too, as they are also filthy with the stuff. Quite a testament to Glock that this thing works perfectly with all that thick, black, filthy, grease, all up in it.
That's one of the reasons I've carried a Glock since 1987. I'm not very mechanically inclined, but I can detail strip my Glocks for a good cleaning. That and I have total faith in them.

Ron
Agreed.

Just finished detail cleaning each part, channel, and crevice. No more gunk and old dirty oil. Some of it was baked in. Used pipe cleaners, aerosol degreaser, Q-Tips, dry gun brushes, compressed air, and paper towels, and it’s now almost like when it left the factory. What a mess it was, though. Now to reassemble and correctly lube.
Okay, what did I do wrong, guys? I don't remember it rattling before I did the detail strip, thorough clean, lube, and reassemble. Now, after dry firing it, the gun rattles like crazy when you shake it. None of my other Glocks do that, and I'm certain this one didn't do that before. Is there some common reassembly error that causes this?

It passes a basic function test.
Took the slide off. No rattle. Frame doesn't rattle either. Pushed the striker towards the back plate. Now the slide rattles when I shake it. Does that help in diagnosing what's wrong?
Someone??
I re-detail-stripped the slide, and reassembled it. I've isolated the rattle to the striker. Once it's decocked, it's loose, and rattles up and down when shaken. Is that normal?

I guess I need to get my Gen 4 Model 17 out of the safe and see if it does that, too.
The gunk was silencing it haha
Answer: No. Glock 17 doesn't rattle, and the 22 didn't either till after detail stripping it. Might need a smith to evaluate it.
Originally Posted by jmd025

Could be.
Rattle is normal when striker channel is clean and striker is not cocked.
Trigger forward, striker cocked no rattle.
Trigger back, rattle when clean.
Hey, you are right. It rattles because, for once, the firing pin channel is clean and dry.

Found this answer at Glock Talk:

"That's a good sign! The rattling comes from the firing pin when it falls against the firing pin safety. The cleaner your firing pin channel is the louder the rattling. Pull the slide back till the trigger resets, no more rattling should be hearable."

I guess I need to detail strip and clean all my other Glocks so they rattle, too.
Originally Posted by WTM45
Rattle is normal when striker channel is clean and striker is not cocked.
Trigger forward, striker cocked no rattle.
Trigger back, rattle when clean.

Yep. You are right. Thanks. All my non-rattling Glocks need a detail strip and clean, too. I just detail stripped my Glock 17, and it's filthy inside. Needs the same treatment as the 22. After that, I'm sure it will rattle when decocked also.
A real learning experience today.
Ok.

So, the previous owner of the 22 didn't know how to live it.
What about the owner of the 17?

Partly jabbing at you.

Also wondering about the condition of a certain 19 that has been
floating around since 1997. Hasn't been stripped. Ever.

Might ought to change that.
Glocks best attribute. if you need a gun that positively, absolutely, has to work, when it has to work.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Ok.

So, the previous owner of the 22 didn't know how to live it.
What about the owner of the 17?

Partly jabbing at you.
LOL. Yeah, I saw that one coming.

Also wondering about the condition of a certain 19 that has been
floating around since 1997. Hasn't been stripped. Ever.

Might ought to change that.

You might be surprised at the filth.
I haven’t cleaned my Glocks in 30 years.
In all likelihood the previous owner never purposefully oiled anything he wasn’t supposed to.

It finds its way into everything with time. It just happens.

Detail stripping is often times not taught to the end user because they all come back to work and ask if they did it right and want somebody to figure out why it’s rattling.
Originally Posted by deflave
In all likelihood the previous owner never purposefully oiled anything he wasn’t supposed to.

It finds its way into everything with time. It just happens.

Detail stripping is often times not taught to the end user because they all come back to work and ask if they did it right and want somebody to figure out why it’s rattling.

LOL. Probably.
Originally Posted by BobBrown
I haven’t cleaned my Glocks in 30 years.

Must be positively cram packed with lint and dust, at the very least.
Result of good military training. I well remember my Drill Sergeant looming over me and screaming in my face, "You little communist c*cksucker! You better not ever let me catch you cleaning that weapon!"

Saved a fortune on Hoppes over the years....
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Result of good military training. I well remember my Drill Sergeant looming over me and screaming in my face, "You little communist c*cksucker! You better not ever let me catch you cleaning that weapon!"

Saved a fortune on Hoppes over the years....

Sarcasm? I thought drill instructors were obsessive about spick and span weapons.
Perhaps more irony than sarcasm but yes, drill sergeants and others are obsessive about clean weapons.
Just detail stripped, and thoroughly cleaned, my Glock 17 Gen 4. Pretty filthy, but not gobs of black oil in every channel and crevice like on the 22.

Below is the freshly removed trigger assembly from the 17, just as an example of how filthy it was:

[Linked Image]

PS I've got a question for you folks who've shot untold tens of thousands of rounds through your Glocks. Have you ever worn out a striker/firing pin channel liner and needed to replace it? I ask, because while I do hear a slight rattle of the striker on my uncocked, freshly cleaned, Glock 17, it's still not nearly as loud as that on the Glock 22 I detail cleaned the other day. I read on Glock Talk that sometimes these liners can wear out and need replacing. Could the really loud rattling in the freshly detail-cleaned Glock 22 police-trade-in be due to a worn out striker/firing pin channel liner?

PPS I hear you cannot just remove them for inspection. Once removed, they need replacing with a new one.
What a dum azz
What a dum azz

Oh, come on VA. Give it a rest.

PS You have more sock puppets than Fran.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Just detail stripped, and thoroughly cleaned, my Glock 17 Gen 4. Pretty filthy, but not gobs of black oil in every channel and crevice like on the 22.

Below is the freshly removed trigger assembly from the 17, just as an example of how filthy it was:

[Linked Image]

PS I've got a question for you folks who've shot untold tens of thousands of rounds through your Glocks. Have you ever worn out a striker channel liner and needed to replace it? I ask, because while I do hear a slight rattle of the striker on my uncocked, freshly cleaned, Glock 17, it's still not nearly as loud as that on the Glock 22 I detail cleaned the other day. I read on Glock Talk that sometimes these liners can wear out and need replacing. Could the really loud rattling in the freshly detail-cleaned Glock 22 police-trade-in be due to a worn out striker channel liner?

PPS I hear you cannot just remove them for inspection. Once removed, they need replacing with a new one.

PM Glockdoofus
Originally Posted by RemModel8

PM Glockdoofus

I hear he's a real Glock aficionado.

PS You generate a new screen name every month, it looks like.
I might replace the liner just in case. It looks like an easy operation, once you've acquired the tool from Brownell's.

I put my rattlin Glock up against my Series 70-Armand Swenson Colt 1911 custom.
IThe 1911 must be broken. I could'nt get it to rattle, no matter what.

Does that mean that the Antifa home invader will not get a warning "rattle" before his lights go out?

RM (Ex-ICE Retired Fed & state Special Agent) Its OK everyone bad hates ICE. Line up behind the guy with handcuffs.

No real reason to. Our range runs have many tens of thousands of rounds through them occasional cleaning and they haven't needed it.

PM Glockdoofus

Math ain't your niche.
Originally Posted by 450Fuller
I put my rattlin Glock up against my Series 70-Armand Swenson Colt 1911 custom.
IThe 1911 must be broken. I could'nt get it to rattle, no matter what.

Does that mean that the Antifa home invader will not get a warning "rattle" before his lights go out?

RM (Ex-ICE Retired Fed & state Special Agent) Its OK everyone bad hates ICE. Line up behind the guy with handcuffs.

Well, the way a Glock is carried, or kept ready to fire, it won't rattle, i.e., cocked with a loaded chamber.
Originally Posted by UPhiker
I might replace the liner just in case. It looks like an easy operation, once you've acquired the tool from Brownell's.

No real reason to. Our range runs have many tens of thousands of rounds through them occasional cleaning and they haven't needed it.

Good to know. Thanks.

PM Glockdoofus

Math ain't your niche.

Why so many screen names? You want to be ban proof?

PM Glockdoofus

Math ain't your niche.

Why so many screen names? You want to be ban proof?

To trouble you
That's what I thought. You've got a screw loose.
TRH cannot shoot or work on guns worth an old toot
TRH cannot shoot or work on guns worth an old toot

Why switch back and forth? Just pick a sock puppet and stick with it. Or just post under VAnimrod again.

Yeah, that's it. All your grand hunting adventures and massive experience and best I've seen is a picture of a pig at a pay too shoot spot.

Hell, you wouldn't even meet Sam for lunch and you live in the same [bleep] town.
Oh, Steelhead! Okay, that makes as much sense as you being VA. You used to live near me, too, (like Sam). That’s your give away. Then you moved to another state, as I recall. How’d you get banned as Steelhead?
Yep , Steelhead is running a few handles here . he likes to look like he has backup and conversations with himself and "attaboy"s himself
The most amazing thing about this post is that you being a Glock Fanboy all these years==> this is the first time you've detail stripped one of your Glocks.

Glocks have to be the easiest handgun there is to detail strip & re-assemble.

Glocks are the LEGO of handguns, let the fun begin.

Jerry
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
The most amazing thing about this post is that you being a Glock Fanboy all these years==> this is the first time you've detail stripped one of your Glocks.

Glocks have to be the easiest handgun there is to detail strip & re-assemble.

Glocks are the LEGO of handguns, let the fun begin.

Jerry

I know. Seriously. I think I've had a Glock for six or seven years (not counting the 2 Gen 2 Glocks I had in the early 1990s which got sold soon after acquiring). I've been good with field strip cleaning, but never detail stripped one. And I was detail stripping my 1911s in the 1980s, a much more PITA endeavor, to be sure. I've got no excuse. Glocks are easy as hell to detail strip, and I should have done it sooner.
Originally Posted by 30Gibbs

That was indeed it.

PS I just finished switching out the serrated trigger on my Glock 30 with a smooth faced one. I've had the part for months, but kept putting off swapping it out since I didn't know how daunting of a task it might be (I figured it wouldn't be hard, but didn't realize it would be this easy). Now that I know how easy it is to totally strip down a Glock, I knew it would be a cinch, and got it completed in about five minutes. Glocks are like tinker toys.

Yeah, that's it. All your grand hunting adventures and massive experience and best I've seen is a picture of a pig at a pay too shoot spot.

Hell, you wouldn't even meet Sam for lunch and you live in the same [bleep] town.

You sure know a lot for someone who's been a member for 3 months. It must be a sad life when you have to make up alternative personalities just to post in an online forum.
What a dum azz

Oh, come on VA. Give it a rest.

PS You have more sock puppets than Fran.

Is bob brown really vanimrod?

Hey, buddy!

You sure know a lot for someone who's been a member for 3 months. It must be a sad life when you have to make up alternative personalities just to post in an online forum.

Less sad than your one persona that is a liberal POS. So I have that going for me.

Funny that ONE guy that is a liberal and another that is an idiot are the nuggets because they ain't been kicked off because the offend the idiots and liberals.

Keep pulling the BLUE lever.

Tell me ONE person that would go to TRH for the 'voice of experience'
Yep , Steelhead is running a few handles here . he likes to look like he has backup and conversations with himself and "attaboy"s himself

I have ONE, and this is it. I'm guessing Angela stopped banging the Pastor.
Oh, Steelhead! Okay, that makes as much sense as you being VA. You used to live near me, too, (like Sam). That’s your give away. Then you moved to another state, as I recall. How’d you get banned as Steelhead?

Bitches like you bitched.

Bitches like you bitched.

Nope. I've never complained about you.

Less sad than your one persona that is a liberal POS. So I have that going for me.

Funny that ONE guy that is a liberal and another that is an idiot are the nuggets because they ain't been kicked off because the offend the idiots and liberals.

Keep pulling the BLUE lever.

Tell me ONE person that would go to TRH for the 'voice of experience'
Keep pulling your own lever, at least you won't reproduce.
Hawkeye,

I recently acquired an ultrasonic cleaner. The thing is amazing. Should have bought one years ago. I don't think I would put an assemble slide in it...but I'm wondering...would it hurt to run the assembled frame in the ultrasonic cleaner with a small amount of dish washing detergent and distilled water?

Then, cycle it again with distilled water only to rinse...and dry with a little compressed air.

I used to frequent Glock Talk and some of the guys talked about running their frames through the dishwasher. Maybe they weren't joking?

GB
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
Hawkeye,

I recently acquired an ultrasonic cleaner. The thing is amazing. Should have bought one years ago. I don't think I would put an assemble slide in it...but I'm wondering...would it hurt to run the assembled frame in the ultrasonic cleaner with a small amount of dish washing detergent and distilled water?

Then, cycle it again with distilled water only to rinse...and dry with a little compressed air.

I used to frequent Glock Talk and some of the guys talked about running their frames through the dishwasher. Maybe they weren't joking?

GB

Probably not kidding. There is a YouTube video of a glock baked in a pan of brownies, removed and still functioning fine.
You'll want to FF through some of this.

Hawkeye,

GB

Yeah . all you need is a dishwasher. IDPA guys I knew swore by it
Hawkeye,

GB

Makes sense for a completely stripped frame. Nothing but plastic. Quicker, though, just to flush it out with an aerosol degreaser.
Hawkeye,

GB

Makes sense for a completely stripped frame. Nothing but plastic. Quicker, though, just to flush it out with an aerosol degreaser.

You must be right with 100k posts and all
I've never touted the length of time I've been a regular poster here as a measure of the value of my posts (other than as a joke), so I'm not sure why you're harping on that.
I've never touted the length of time I've been a regular poster here as a measure of the value of my posts (other than as a joke), so I'm not sure why you're harping on that.

Because he got beaten mercilessly with his original Fire name for being a dumbfück.

Sock puppet is all he’s got left.

😎
Back to the thread subject: Taking advantage of my new knowledge, vis a vis the Glock total-take-down, today I installed a Ghost 3.5 lb trigger connector in my Glock 17. Just got back from the range. I really do notice an improvement.
Its not my fault both of you had neighbors chit on the hoods of your Subarus.
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Because he got beaten mercilessly with his original Fire name for being a dumbfück.

😎

Please change your avatar to a Chihuahua humping a mannequin.

😎

Beaten? What a loser you are for associating success or winning with an internet forum. sad

😎

Please change your avatar to a Chihuahua humping a mannequin.

Ask your mom for our hump pictures...And, you can call me daddy.

LOL

😎

😎

Beaten? What a loser you are for associating success or winning with an internet forum. sad

Hey, it’s your sock...Feel free to explain your transition....Oops, I’m sorry. We’re not supposed to ask people like you who call themselves non-binary.

Can we just call you Sheila?

😎

😎

Hey, it’s your sock...Feel free to explain your transition....Oops, I’m sorry. We’re not supposed to ask people like you who call themselves non-binary.

😎

So, Beave was right again, and smoked him out. He is a sock. smile

LMAO.
Back to the thread subject: Taking advantage of my new knowledge, vis a vis the Glock total-take-down, today I installed a Ghost 3.5 lb trigger connector in my Glock 17. Just got back from the range. I really do notice an improvement.

That's good to know, Hawkeye. My new Gen 5 G17 is the only Glock I own I haven't done that to yet.
Dirt, ever have any problems traceable to a drop-in Ghost connector?
Originally Posted by local_dirt

😎

😎

LMAO.

Eff you, old geezer
Dirt, ever have any problems traceable to a drop-in Ghost connector?

No. Never.
Originally Posted by local_dirt

😎

😎

LMAO.

Eff you, old geezer

Geezer? Laughing.

Just old enough to drag your narrow ass around the yard.

Punk F'aggot hiding behind a sock. Lol.
© 24hourcampfire